~ Chapter Five ~
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Feeling the foreign power invading his mind, Peyton released a torrent of Volt. Like a flood, his Siphon poured as much Kamii as it possibly could to remove the foreign magic.

The conflict was of wills, his mind the battleground. Luckily, he had home advantage and could slowly peter away at the muddling magic. Like a game of tug of war, he pulled for control against the force, slowly gaining traction.

Rage fueled his rejection, only one source capable of pushing him into such a fight. The emotion fueled his power, but he grabbed hold of that rage and refined it before he lost control. Focusing, his Volt inevitably suppressed the Aqi--its subtle presence eradicated in totality.

Buller’s library came into view, and Peyton glowered at the other man. “Why?”

“A test. I can feel the growth of your power, and it’s enigmatic. You left through that Door two weeks ago, coming back with almost double the magical might you left with.” Buller brushed his robes aside, pulling up a crystalline orb.

Peyton stared at the proffered orb, his temper barely contained. “You could’ve just asked.”

“Things aren’t so simple, Braxton.” The Archmage tuttered as Peyton continued to glower at him. “Take it.”

Clenching his teeth, Peyton tried to resist the compulsion, but the Archmage wasn’t playing around in his head anymore. The effort to resist was wasted, his fingers wrapping around the orb and coming alight instantly.

“Kamii-cursed blight,” Buller muttered. “Your oversaturated, Braxton. How are you- no, that doesn’t matter. How has this happened?”

Waving his hand, the great library shifted and rearranged itself to present two smaller, finer bookshelves to the Archmage.

“Braxton,” Buller started, simultaneously rifling through three books floating in front of him, “what do you know of Faerie Dust?”

“Barred in all Mage societies, farmed by Technocrats as a plan to destabilize the development of the future, and usually obtained through criminal and inhumane behavior,” he responded, reciting the most important information about the substance.

Nodding, Buller set his piercing eyes on Peyton. “Is that all you know?”

“Of course not. I’ve been in the business longer than that, Buller.” He leaned back, stretching his arms wide. “I don’t feel the need to repeat common knowledge for your amusement, especially after you tested me.”

Sighing, the Archmage rubbed his temples. “You make things so difficult, Braxton, but so be it. Faerie Dust enhances the relation between the Siphon and Kumii while enhancing longevity. But…”

Something within one of the books caught the man’s attention, causing him to trail off. Peyton snapped his fingers, bringing Buller’s attention back.

The Archmage only glanced toward Peyton, taking hold of the book that floated in front of him. The other two seamlessly floated back to their position, the shelves sinking back to their prior locations.

Pacing around the room as he read, Buller hummed and tuttered. “I see, I see. That makes sense.”

“Buller…” Peyton’s patience wore thin with the man’s antics.

“Braxton, the issues caused by Faerie Dust are not the impotence they cause, the artificial bolstering of Kumii, or the mistreatment of Faeries. The first two are caused as a by-product of soul oversaturation. Faerie Dust enhances the soul, and overuse causes great harm.” Snapping the book closed with a loud slam, the Archmage stared at the Delver, his eyes all-knowing. “As a professional, I expect more from you. I understand pain, and Delvers go unappreciated by all. I understand the allure. However, your use is going to kill you. It’s inflating your soul, and you’re on the verge of death, Braxton.”

Peyton wanted to retort, telling the Archmage that he felt fine, but that strange presence loomed over him. It lurked, watching from over his shoulder. Standing up, he moved away from it, staring at the chair.

Buller noticed the odd behavior, raising a brow. “What is it?”

For as much as he wanted to deal with the presence himself, Peyton realized that if Buller couldn’t sense the presence, then attempting to deal with it by himself would be unwise.

As much as he knew he should speak, his tongue felt like cotton in his mouth. “Ever since- when I passed through the Door, something followed me through.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“It’s true!” Peyton growled. “There’s been a looming presence following me around. It started out as a feeling, but I just felt it hovering over my shoulder.”

“Nothing can come back through the Door unless it originated from Wanda,” the Archmage responded matter-of-factly. “Faerie Dust has been known to cause hallucinations, Braxton.”

“It’s not the- no. You’re wrong. I can feel it in my gut, and it’s telling me you’re wrong.” Peyton rested his hand over his stomach, the ever-growing pit bucking like a horde of angry horses. “Something is very, very wrong.” 

“Okay.”

“Why won’t you-” He clamped his mouth shut. “What?”

“We’re finally on the same page, Braxton. Something is very wrong,” Buller repeated. “I’ve been saying that since you got here, but you haven’t been listening.”

Peyton stopped trying to follow the conversation, thinking back to the recapturing and how it skipped nearly two weeks of time. The way he tested the increase in power and noting it as unusual. The books, “Anomalous Growth of Power”, “Soul Saturation, and How It’s Caused”, as well as “Time and Time Again”.

“Oh.”

1