New Neighbors (2)
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Evelyn could feel greed entering her as she took in everything about the girl like a starved person unwilling to share their food. 

 

The girl had beautiful brown curly hair with lighter highlights in it. Her curly hair puffed out, stopping to her shoulders, while her bangs framed the girl's face as they landed a bit past the eyebrows. 

 

The girl's roundish-almond eyes were dark brown as her long lashes would brush against the square-shaped glasses on her face each time she blinked. 

 

She had high cheekbones and prominent dimples that would pop out when she smiled. And the girl's full lips are what had Evelyn's brain short-circuiting the most. 

 

The girl's lips even had a shine to them (most likely lip gloss) that caused them to stand out more when the sun would hit them. 

 

Evelyn has been so lost in thought, watching the girl, when she felt something hit the back of her head. 

 

"Ow." Evelyn broke out of her thoughts as she rubbed her head. She looked towards the source of the hit. 

 

When she saw her mother looking at her with crossed arms, she felt her stomach drop, thinking that her mom finally caught her. 

 

"Evelyn, what has you so deep in thought that you have been ignoring my calls?" Her mother fussed. 

 

Evelyn relaxed, happy that her mother did not see her checking out the new neighbor. However, she made sure to keep her relief off her face. "Sorry, mother, I must still be tired from my soccer game." 

 

Her mother sighed, uncrossing her arms as she took the excuse, "Okay. But next time, pay more attention. Now, come on." 

 

Evelyn nodded as she followed her mother. She turned towards the moving truck, only to see that the girl was gone. She sighed about her missed chance of looking at the girl again. 

 

They came to the front door as one of the adults, who had similar looks to the girl she saw, walked out the open front door. She must be the girl's mother. Evelyn deducted. 

 

The woman abruptly stopped when she saw them. Evelyn's mother put out her hand, "Hello, I am Katherine, and this is my daughter Evelyn, and we're your neighbors. I see that your family is new to the town?" 

 

The woman smiled at them as she shook Katherine's hand. "Hi, I am Lana, and we are new. It is nice to meet you both." 

 

They let go of each other's hands after shaking, while Evelyn could not help but glance around. She wanted to get another look at the beautiful girl. 

 

"If there is any help you need, my daughter and I would gladly help you," Katherine responded. She tapped Evelyn's back, making sure she paid attention. 

 

Evelyn stopped looking around when she felt her mother's touch. She felt stupid that one girl had her acting this way. One, she is not trying to expose what she spent years hiding away. 

 

And two, she has a boyfriend, so why is she so obsessed with catching a glimpse of a girl she barely knows? 

 

Lana gave a broad smile like she was happy that more people could help her. Trying to get all their things off the trucks and into the house at a specific time is highly stressful. 

 

"Thank you so much; I appreciate the help!" Then she looked towards Evelyn, "Uh, Evelyn, right? My daughter needs help setting up her room, if you would like to help with that." 

 

Before Evelyn could open her mouth, her mother beat her to the punch, "She would! Go on, Evelyn." 

 

Her mother pushed her into the house. Lana, nervously laughing at the enthusiastic mother, before saying, "Ah, thank you once again. My daughter's room is on the right side of the house/hall; it is the third door down." 

 

Evelyn nodded her head, already seeing that her mother wanted her to hurry and help. Her mother was always obsessed with having others see them as excellent and outstanding people. 

 

She wished her mother could see that her "nice and eager act" only scares people away. 

 

Evelyn walked into the house, looking at the boxes and furniture surrounding the place. There were others in the house, most likely the moving people and the rest of the family. 

 

No one paid Evelyn any mind since they were busy trying to set everything up while getting the rest of the boxes inside. 

 

That worried Evelyn a bit because what if she was a robber? But then again, she can understand the stress of moving into a new place. 

 

She followed the woman's instructions, even though it was not that great, but she somehow managed. Her sense of direction would sometimes be great. 

 

Evelyn saw a room opened with music coming from it. The door seemed to be the one the mother said as she walked in front of it. 

 

When she did, she saw the girl from outside, dancing to the music as she took things out from the box. Evelyn stood there, a bit mesmerized and amused at the dancing. Although, she wouldn't mind joining in. 

 

The girl looked like she was having fun, and it has been so long since Evelyn felt genuine joy. 

 

Sensing someone watching her closely, the girl looked up while her hair shook with her minor jump. 

 

The girl tilted her head, looking at Evelyn with a confused expression, "Uh, hi?" 

 

Evelyn felt nervous with the girl looking at her; she did not know what to do with her hands.

 

Should she wave? Should she put her hands in her pocket and seem chill? Or should she put them to the side and look stiff as a board? 

 

Evelyn went with the first choice, internally cursing as she gave an awkward wave, "Hey, I am your neighbor, and my mom and I came over to help. Your mother said I could help you here. But if you don't need it, I can leave." 

 

The girl smiled, showing off her cute dimples and perfect high cheekbones. She also chuckled a bit at Evelyn's stiff posture. 

 

She came over, stepping over a few boxes as she grabbed Evelyn's hand, pulling her into the room. Evelyn felt her heart spiking up with the girl's hand in hers. 

 

"Don't be shy; I swear I don't bite." The girl said as she dragged her into the room. 

 

"You know, I can be a robber or serial killer," Evelyn said, her mind going on overdrive. Why did she say that? Why is her brain acting stupid? 

 

The girl stopped, looking at Evelyn as she raised her eyebrow, "Well, are you?" 

 

Evelyn quickly shook her head. 

 

"Then we are fine." The girl smiled. 

 

Stop smiling; there is so much my heart can take. Evelyn complained in her mind. 

 

The girl let her hand go, much to Evelyn's relief, as she sat on the edge of the empty, undone bed, pulling one of the boxes towards her. 

 

The box had clothes inside. 

 

Evelyn watched her take the clothes out, wondering what she should do.

 

She did not want to seem rude and start randomly touching things. 

 

The girl looked at her as she pulled out another outfit, "So, are you going to watch me or come over and help?" 

 

"Help. I can help." Evelyn quickly walked over, joining the girl as she started taking clothes out of the box. 

 

"I'm Alani, by the way." 

 

Alani. Evelyn repeated the name in her mind, thinking it was pretty and how it fits the girl. 

 

"Evelyn." She responded after repeating the girl's name in her mind so many times. 

 

"Pretty name," Alani commented. 

 

Evelyn blushed, "Thank you. You're pretty too." 

 

Alani looked at her, while Evelyn wanted to die when she forgot to say 'name' with her sentence. 

 

"I-I meant your name is pretty t-too." Evelyn stuttered, waving her hands like she was raising a white flag. 

 

Alani burst out laughing, causing Evelyn's heart to leave the building. Even the girl's laughter was beautiful. 

 

"You're funny. I like you already, Evelyn." 

 

Evelyn blushed, shyly smiling as she continued to pull out Alani's clothes. She wished she could stop her body from feeling this way, but at the moment, it is not so bad. 


You ever just get nervous around someone so pretty and say silly things?

2