The Notorius Maximillian Slater
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It had been two months since they had lived on Earth. Tyreceus was still in a state of shock as Mary Sue had followed through with her agreement. Her boss had given him everything he asked for. He gave him a house, as apparently, he had no problem buying a shack.

The shack in question was three rooms, three and a half baths, a large backyard, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a built-in microwave, and a beautiful oak in the backyard.

Ace went to school but understood nothing thanks to the lack of a C-Chip, and Tyreceus begrudgingly set up an appointment to get it done.

Tyreceus’s benefactor had given him everything, and Tyreceus knew that it came with a price, but his benefactor did not say what it was, and as the days passed he became more and more nervous.

He sat in the living room, trying to distract his mind with simple television. He always wore socks in the house now, as the feeling of carpet on his feet was now strange, after months of walking through dirt, grass, and mud.

He couldn’t stop worrying. Tyreceus was afraid his benefactor wanted sexual favors instead of political ones, and mentally prepared himself.

Rich people are strange creatures, Tyreceus thought

.He had never met his benefactor, he only heard his voice over the phone, and he knew his name, Maximilian Slater.

He knew who he was, and he heard many horrible rumors about him. Tyreceus knew the gods had played a cruel joke, making the son of a hero a villain. He sighed and lay down on the couch, hoping the rumors were all false.

Maximillian wasn't a good man. he knew that with the clout of a former prince, he could gain political favor. If he wasn't a prince but still had the sword he could use Tyreveus to fight mutual enemies.

If neither were true he could simply kill Tyreceus and his son.

One day, after their many phone calls, Maximilian told Tyreceus that he was coming to visit. Tyreceus quickly agreed and panicked. He was convinced that it meant he had to do things with Maximillian and worried he was interested in a different kind of sword.

He was relieved when he came to his house with his son, Leviathan. Tyreceus looked at Leviathan, a tall child for his age, but still acted his age. He was rude, he was loud, and he did not like his son. Tyreceus did not like any child that didn’t like his son, but he understood why Leviathan didn’t like him.

Ace took his hand, and kissed it, a common greeting on Methuselah, but over on Earth a sign of close romantic affection. After a quick apology and an explanation, the children ran off and Tyreceus knew that he had already messed up his first impression.

They sat at the kitchen table drinking beer, and Tyreceus tried his hardest to try and move past the awkward social interaction.

“Thank goodness it was just a cultural difference”, Maximillion laughed. “I don’t think you are the sort of man that would raise a morally corrupt child.”

Tyreceus grit his teeth and tried to give the most pleasant smile he could muster.

“Of course”, he said. “Let’s get to the business at hand, shall we?”

“Yes,” Maximilian grinned. He leaned forward in his chair and looked Tyreceus right in the eyes.

“I don’t care if you are her child,” Maximilian said. “What I do care, is if you can help me get what I want, and therefore, you can get what you want.

Tyreceus was surprised Maximillian was so straightforward, but thankful that they didn’t have to mince words.

“What do you want,” Tyreceus asked.

“I’m aware you can only use the sword for revenge against those who have wronged you,” Maximilian replied. “The Empire has wronged us both. Use your sword to get rid of them for me.”

“You want me to take down the entire Empire,?”

“No,” Maximilian sneered. “Specific people from the Empire.”

He took a big swig from his beer and set the glass bottle down on the table.

“There are many suspected spies, and those we are aware of,” Maximilian explained. “The Empire sends their people ahead of time, and they collect intelligence, sending it back before they invade.”

“I kill them, I get some revenge, and you get flies out of your soup.”

Exactly,” Maximilian grinned.

Tyreceus thought he smiled like a wolf and knew he was another meal.

“I’m also aware that you don’t have a job,” Maximilian said.

Tyreceus coughed uncomfortably and took a sip of his drink.

“Refugees need jobs to fulfill their immigration requirements,” Maximilian continued. “Not immediately, but soon they’ll come knocking.”

He looked at the table and understood what he was saying. He knew that he had no choice.

“I don’t know many that would hire an Ionadian, especially after their long, long, colonization of Earth. People don’t forget easily.”

“I understand,” Tyreceus said.

“So you agree, yes,” Maximilian grinned. “You will work for me, at the Defense Program. You can use the cover of being a teacher, and no one will be none the wiser.”

“Y-you’re hiring me as a teacher,” Tyreceus asked.

“As long as you agree to my terms. You don’t ask why, you just take care of the problem whenever it arises. Understand?”

“Give me some time to think about it,” he whispered. “I have a lot going on at once.”

Maximilian accepted that answer, as it was the truth. He had been through a lot recently. They continued to discuss what else Tyreceus needed to do to remain on Earth, and Tyreceus decided now was a great time to bring up his problem.

“They got my name wrong,” he groaned. “My last name is Tirinius, not Titanium.”

Maximilian let out a loud laugh and Tyreceus bristled.

“My son’s name is changed too,” he complained. “Is this how things work here?”

“I think you should keep it,” Maximilian chuckled. “With a name too different, you’ll stick out like a sore thumb around here.”

A loud noise could be heard from upstairs and the men groaned.

“Let’s go,” Tyreceus sighed. “I’m sorry about my son.”

They went upstairs and found them inside Tyreceus’ room. Tyreceus was furious when he saw that Ace had found his sword, and even angrier as he had shown Leviathan where it was.

“What have I told you”, yelled Tyreceus.

He snatched the sword out of Ace’s hand and they began to argue, speaking in a different tongue. Leviathan couldn’t understand what they were saying, but he still knew that they were both in trouble.

Tyreceus brought them back downstairs and had to apologize to Maximillion.

“It’s fine”, Maximillion smiled. “Kids will be kids. That's why I lock up all my stuff in the basement”.

“You keep your stuff in the basement”, asked Leviathan.

Maximilian now needed a new hiding spot and tried not to smack his son.

“T-thank you for being so understanding after the many problems he has caused today,'' Tyreceus replied. “So sorry about all of this.”

“It’s fine. We discussed all the important matters anyway. Come, Levi, it's time to go.”

Levi pouted.

“I don’t wanna go!”

“Didn’t you say that before you came here? Do you even know where you want to go," sneered Maximillion.

Levi stood as still as a statue and his father promptly picked him up with one hand and dragged him out of the house, as Ace laughed.

“You’re in trouble too”, Tyreceus said.

“I just wanted to show him, I didn’t let him have it," Ace said quietly.

“I’ll deal with your punishment tomorrow. Please, just go."

Ace went to his room in shame and fear. He remembered what his father had done on Methuselah, and sometimes he worried if he wasn’t a good boy the same would happen to him.

Tyreceus tried to calm down as he sat at the dinner table, contemplating Maximillion’s offer. He finished the last of his beer and talked himself into working for Maximillian.

Maximillion was aware of how the sword worked and was willing to pay him to get rid of a mutual enemy: the Empire. Tyreceus knew it was a good deal, yet something else was off to him. After being tricked by Aeris, he no longer wanted to rush headfirst into any kind of verbal agreement.

Maximillion helped them immigrate to Earth and he bumped them to the top of the list, after Mary Sue’s recommendation. Tyreceus didn’t want to work for him, but he knew that even with the house, he couldn’t stay without a job.

You always waver, Unas said. Always unsure of yourself. Take action.

He’s right. Tyreceus sighed. Just think of it like any other job.

Tyreceus' heart still wavered, but he knew he had to do it for his son.

He was the only family he had left.

0