4. A Familiar Face
99 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Audriana strolled along the street, she could see the moon peeking over the tops of buildings and homes. She paused to rest and took out a map from her bag. She had gotten this after completing her quest. It was a complete map of Brinehill and noted down various locations within the city. Some locations on the map had been struck out with a large X by her. These X outed places were inns and hotels which she had traveled to see if she could get a room or locations she had already taken a rest at. Unfortunately with the influx of opportunists and Otherworlders, these rooms were already taken. Audriana had the option of going down to some shifty places of Brinehill to look for a place to stay but she wasn't willing to risk her safety.

 

 

With a sigh, she folded the map and placed it back into her bag. This situation was awful, she was going to sleep on the streets tonight. A gust of cold wind made her shiver and she pulled her blazer tighter against herself in an attempt for warmth. Arden seemed worried about her, flapping his wings rapidly as if it'd warm her up. Though it only served to blow more cold air in her direction, she appreciated the gesture.

 

 

Clip-clop Clip-clop, the sound of a horses hove thumping against the ground came from the road but she didn't pay any mind to it. But then she started noticing a pattern. Every time she had stopped walking or paused the sound of the horse would stop too.

 

 

Confused she spun around, was she being followed? A carriage slowly came up to her side and parked. The man driving the carriage and holding the reigns of the horse tipped his hat towards her. Her eyes darted back and forth between the driver and the carriage. The carriage was black and had a symbol on it. As she looked closer she could see it was a family crest.

 

 

Your custom family crest!

 

She didn't think anything of it and was about to speak to the driver when the carriage door opened. Instantly she spotted the familiar pointy ears and green skin. "Kris?" She was extremely surprised to see them, considering they didn't know each other that well. A smug grin spread across their face. "I hope you didn't miss me too much." The slick words from their mouth instantly made the shock from seeing them again dissipate.

 

 

"Jokes aside I need you for something." She raised a brow, what could they possibly need her for? "Follow me and I'll try and explain." They stepped back into the carriage and turned back to offer a hand to her. This scene was very familiar to her except this time they didn't run off without her.

 

 

Audriana stared at the outstretched hand and turned to look at Arden who gave a single flap before flying into her bag. She carefully shifted her bag so the butterfly wouldn't be crushed. Whatever Kris would bring her would probably be better than being out on the streets. So she placed her hand in theirs. Kris helped her into the carriage and she closed the carriage door behind her.

 

 

As they both took their seats the carriage started moving forward. Audriana placed her bag on the seat and looked up as Kris began speaking. "My father told me to explain things to you but that's too much work." They had a slothful expression, she gave them a look but didn't say anything about their laziness. "Can you at least tell me some basic things?" Sure she trusted them to some extent but that doesn't mean she was going to head into a place without some sort of information. "We're heading to Farnworth Manor, which is owned by House Saurridge. And as you can probably tell I belong to that House." Audriana nodded her head, at this point something small like this didn't affect her but she was a tad bit curious.

 

 

"So if you're a noble why were you living in that small cottage in the forest?" They shrugged and turned to look out the window carriage. "To get away from my father and his chastising." A sad look passed across their face. Sensing that this topic might be a sensitive one she quickly dropped it. "Who are your parents?" Kris peered out of the carriage window.

 

 

"Marquis Algerone and Marchioness Amelie. Though Marchioness Amelie is my stepmother. And I have an older brother." Kris didn't go into further detail about that and Audriana didn't feel like questioning them further seeing as their mood had already been soured. "I'm going to catch up on some sleep. Wake me up when we're there." She knew they weren't going to answer so she just closed her eyes and tried her best to get comfortable in the carriage seat. A few seconds later and she found herself falling asleep.

 

 

Smack! Her body jumped as something hit her face. Audriana's eyes narrowed on a certain elf and there turned to a butterfly who was peeking out of her bag. "Did you just hit me, Kris?" They gave an obviously faked shocked look. "Me? Hit you? I wouldn't dear Riana." Kris said with that look still plastered on their face but it crumbled and they started laughing hard. "Looks like your mood has improved since earlier." Audriana was obviously unimpressed with her wake up call. Kris shrugged. "You should know me by now." She groaned, at least they weren't in a sober mood anymore.

 

 

 

"Are we here?" Kris nodded, opened the door, and hopped out gracefully. Audriana grabbed her bag and followed. "So this is Farnworth Manor? It's gorgeous." Farnworth was located in the countryside of Conshire Isles and most people who lived out here owned massive estates and were mostly nobles. The manor was full of beautiful decoration and overall very aesthetically pleasing to look at. Coming into the manor's courtyard you could see all kinds of flowers which looked well taken care of. "Ah I see you're admiring the flowers, the Marchioness loves them," Kris said before a large yawn overcome them. 

 

 

"Ser! Welcome back!" An old but cheery voice rang and an old butler quickly appeared before them. The butler gave a quick bow to each of them. "Welcome to Farnworth Manor, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Now if you both would follow me the Marquis and Marchioness are waiting in the parlor room." The butler began herding them into the manor like cattle.

 

 

As they walked down some halls Kris bent over and whispered in her ear. "That's Gideon our family butler he's been with us for years." Audriana nodded at their words and before she knew it they arrived at the doors of the parlor room.

 

 

Her feelings were quickly growing unrestful. These people were real life elites, people who were just below the position of Duke and Duchess. It seemed her nervousness was beginning to show because Kris reached over and patted her shoulder. "It's going to be alright. My father can be intense but he can mean well and Amelie is... well you'll see." Audriana looked over with a face of horror. That did not help at all and yet Kris shot her a thumbs up. Gideon opened the doors to the parlor and Audriana walked in. "Good luck!" She turned back around fast once she heard those syllables uttered, Kris wasn't coming in with her?! 

 

 

All she saw was their bright smile before the parlor doors closed shut. Audriana rotated around to face the voice and saw two people sitting on a couch. The man was an elf with green skin just like Kris and he was very handsome. He looked to be about in his 30s but you never really tell with elves. The woman was a human, a pretty one too. They looked to be a perfect match for each other. "Oh- uh greetings my Lord and Lady." Audriana dropped into a clumsy curtsy which made Marquis Algerone scoff. "Be nice to her, she is an Otherworlder after all." Marchioness Amelie swatted her husband's arm.

 

 

"Don't mind him, dear. Come here sit down." Audriana followed the Marchioness's hand and sat down on the couch opposite of them. "May I ask why I have been brought here?" The two turned to each other and sighed. "I'm guessing that child of mines didn't tell you everything?" She nodded shyly and Marquis Algerone let out a disappointed sigh. "Fine, since that child isn't competent enough I'll explain." For a few minutes, the Marquis told her about everything, mainly about why she was here at the manor. Marquis Algerone ended his speech and picked up a teacup from the table in the middle to drink it. 

 

 

So basically the story was that, one day the Marquis and his family were having a meal, Kris had just been called back from the cottage and the Marchioness suddenly mentioned wanting to have a daughter. She lamented the fact that there were no females in the family that she could spend time with or do anything with so Marquis Algerone suggested the idea of adopting another child. Kris and Amelie were shocked and thought the Marquis was joking until he pulled out some adoption forms. So the Marquis went to the Adventurer's Guild and paid a hefty sum for the Guild to search for qualitative adoptable children. And out of five people, she was number one eligible. 

 

 

"So what do you think?" Marchioness Amelie sat up straighter in her seat waiting for her answer. Audriana weighed this situation in her head. It was strange did nobles just really adopt kids like this? But this whole situation was also beneficial for her. Having the backing of House Saurrige could protect her if she gets in trouble and plus with the resources she'd receive from being a daughter of a Marquis would help her greatly in searching for a way back home. And though she'd had to replace her last name with Saurridge it's not like she was being asked to give up her old life completely. With her decision made, she looked up towards the couple and spoke.

 

 

"Before I tell you my decision, do I have to call you father and mother.. ?" Audriana's words made Marchioness Amelie pull a face. "It'd be preferable if you would do so but it's optional." Hm, she was slightly uncomfortable with calling other people besides her own parents, mother, and father but it would be nice to actually have parental figures in this world. Even if they weren't her real ones. 

 

 

"For as long as I am in this world I shall be known as Lady Audriana Saurridge." At her words, Marchioness Amelie was practically bursting with excitement but then quickly calmed down. "It's very late and your probably tired so we'll talk more in the morning." All parties in the room stood up from their seats and made their way to the door. Gideon was standing beside the door and perked up in attention once he saw everyone exiting the parlor. "Gideon I assume Kris went off to bed?" The butler nodded. "Yes, the ser asked me to wish all of you a goodnight." Marquis Algerone said nothing and began walking away.

 

 

"Gideon I'll have to trouble you to lead the new young miss to her quarters." Marchioness Amelie gave the order before following after the Marquis. "Will do, have goodnight madam." The butler gave a bow in the Marchioness's direction before she disappeared around the corner. "Now if you will follow me, young miss." Audriana felt tingly being called in such a respectful manner and followed Gideon as he led her to her new bedroom. A couple of twists and turns later and they stopped in front of her room. "Have a goodnight young miss." With a bow, the butler was soon gone. She twisted the knob of the door and walked into her new bedroom.

 

 

A wide and spacious bedroom greeted her. It was twice the size of her bedroom on Earth. Audriana would have loved to explore her room more but she was really tired. The day had been very taxing. From almost sleeping on the streets to becoming a noble, this day had been crazy. She placed her bag onto one of the couches in the room and headed towards her bed. Audriana was ready to crawl in when she heard a knock at the door. Rubbing her tired eyes she strolled to the door and opened it. "Excuse me for the interruption young miss, I'm Beatrice your personal maid that has been assigned to you." Beatrice looked human but something about her eyes told Audriana she wasn't. 

 

 

"Shall I help you get ready for bed?" Though Audriana felt somewhat uncertain about having someone wait for hands and feet for her, she buried that feeling and allowed Beatrice inside the room. "Should I start your bath?" At that, Audriana shook her head. To take a whole bath in her tired state wasn't very desirable to her. "No just help me change and brush my hair. I'll bathe in the morning." Since starting next morning she'll officially be a member of House Saurridge she had to get used to this type of lifestyle. A few minutes later, her hair had been brushed and her clothes changed. 

 

 

The nightgown she was wearing was comfortable and easy to move in. "Young miss what would you like me to do with your old clothes?" Beatrice seemed curious about them. "Could you wash them for me? Thank you." Her bag and school uniform were the only things she had with her from Earth, they were sentimental items. "Of course young miss." With her items in hand, the maid walked towards the door but quickly spun around as if she had forgotten something.

 

 

"I almost forgot, the Marchioness wanted me to remind you that four hundred sets of jewelry, accessories, clothes, and shoes will be arriving tomorrow at the earliest. They would have come today but delays all over Sky Archpelagio have been happening due to the Worldshift. So the Marchioness sends her apologies." And after giving a short bow Beatrice left.

 

 

Four hundred sets.... ? Oh whatever! At this point, Sky Archipelago and the people on it defy all types of common sense. Audriana drifted over to her bag that had been on the couch this entire time and opened it. Arden quickly flew out of the bag and fluttered around her in a somewhat angry way. "Hey- I'm sorry- Don't hit me!" After a few hits on the head, the butterfly seemed to calm down a bit. Audriana patted down some hair that had been lifted during the attack and turned to stare incredulously at Arden. "Are you upset I forgot about you for so long? Well, I'm sorry there was a lot going on! How about during breakfast I gave you some of my food?" They both hadn't eaten anything since coming to Brinehill and it was the only solution she could think of at the moment.

 

 

Arden flapped his wings at her, it seemed her solution was well received. "Then, goodnight Arden." Audriana suppressed a yawn as she got into her bed and gradually descended into slumber.

 

 

Morning light penetrated through the large windows, dawning the bedroom in a warm glow, and bird songs could be heard in the distance. The door to the bedroom suddenly burst open with numerous servants pouring in holding boxes of clothes, accessories, shoes, and other luxury goods. At the head front of the servants was Beatrice, pointing and directing what item needed to go here or there. Such ruckus early in the morning awakened Audriana from her sleep. Seeing as sleeping beauty had awoken, Beatrice gave a low curtsy. "Good morning, I apologize for the noise, young miss, it's just that your items have arrived and we needed to store them immediately." With the extra help of magic, the process of putting items went smoothly.

 

After everything was done and finished, the servants retreated. The door to the bedroom shut with a click and stillness returned to the room. "Good morning, Beatrice." Audriana was amazed at how fast the servants worked. She lifted her covers to get out of bed. Then a new routine began with Beatrice helping Audriana bathe and do other things. Unsurprisingly, having someone help you with necessities in the morning makes things faster. 

 

Now Audriana was standing in front of a mirror as Beatrice helped her dress. As Audriana was getting dressed she couldn't help but notice something. "Beatrice.. what is this dress called?" The maid let out a hum-like sound and turned her attention away from securing something on the dress. "Robe à la française young miss." Huh? Robe à la française? The name sounded incredibly familiar to her but she couldn't quite place the feeling of remembrance. "Young miss, please lift up your leg and then your other one." Audriana did as told and Beatrice slipped heels onto Audriana's feet. "You're ready for the day." The maid stepped back as if to survey her work and gave a few claps in appreciation.

 

"Young miss you look absolutely wonderful!" Beatrice's words made Audriana flush and she opened her mouth to speak but the maid kept talking. "Breakfast will be served in a few minutes so I advise you to hurry downstairs before your late." Audriana gave the maid her thanks and hurried out of the bedroom, grabbing Arden out of the bag on her way out.

 

The first couple of steps were awkward as she wasn't used to walking in such shoes but slowly got used to it. In a moment, she reached the grand staircase. Audriana placed her hand on the railing and went down the stairs trying to be mindful of her dress. Then, Audriana suddenly paused on a step. Now that she thought about it she remembered something.

 

 

The dress! Robe à la française, Audriana recalled this type of dress being talked about during her world history class! Maybe because she was so tired before that she didn't notice it, but various people within the estate wore some type of clothing from the Rococo period! Even Kris wore something reminiscent of that period. Audriana rubbed her head, looks like more questions to add to her long list. She descended the stairs and made her way to the dining room. Entering the dining room she saw all three members of the Saurridge family had already come down before her. "Good morning, everyone." Audriana pinched her skirt and performed a curtsy.

 

 

She had been practicing her curtsies with Beatrice in between getting ready. "You look somewhat presentable now." Marquis Algerone was in his usual mood, but maybe it was just his way of complimenting her. "Oh hush, you look delightful darling! He knows it." Audriana smiled in Marchioness Amelie's direction and took her seat. Marquis Algerone and Marchioness Amelie sat across from her while Kris sat next to her. "Are the cooks done with the food yet?" Kris lounged back in their chair lazily, fingering at the table's cloth. And soon after they said that servants holding platters of plates came into the dining room. "Are you some kind of jinx?" Audriana's eyes questioned them and in return, they only gave her a simple smile.

 

The table was soon full of breakfast styled food and the family began to dig in. And as promised Audriana cut a portion of her food for Arden to enjoy which Kris side-eyed. "Does a butterfly need to eat that much?" Uh? She didn't know, did she look like a butterfly expert? 

 

Marquis Algerone had been staring at Audriana for a few seconds before speaking. "Audriana, since you've officially become a member of our House you must learn how to speak and act like a noble. I have hired a tutor and they'll arrive tomorrow." After that Marquis Algerone turned his attention towards Kris who looked away not trying to meet their father's gaze.

 

Audriana could tell the mood of the table was starting to flip. "Speaking of education, Kris it's time we talk about yours. I'm serious this time, I've let you play around for long enough. Your actions are starting to make a mockery of our House. Do you remember when you punched Sir Gawrgaru and you two started brawling?!" Kris's lips tighten and their hand clenched. "Your brother is so much better than you, I wonder how the two of you came from the same mother." A shocked silence fell upon the table. Audriana was stunned, how could they go from happily chatting to saying such offensive stuff. 

 

Marchioness Amelie's mouth dropped open and Audriana couldn't help holding a hand to her mouth. It seemed like even Marquis Algerone thought he went too far with that sentence. "I- That was unfair of me. But you know I'm right." Was that an apology? Because if it was then it didn't work because Kris looked like they might explode. "Your always like this! Always comparing me to him! Ever since mother died you've changed!" Frustrated tears began pouring down their face and they stood up so fast from their chair that it knocked it over.

 

Kris wiped at their tears. "Father, please- this conversation has worn me out. I'm heading to the townhouse in Brinehill." Without waiting for anyone's response they stormed out of the dining room. 

 

What Kris left in their wake was an awkward atmosphere. "My appetite has been spoiled, you two may continue eating." Marquis Algerone excused himself from the dining table and left. Marchioness Amelie turned towards Audriana with a wobbly smile. "I guess it's just the two of us now- three of us actually." By now Arden had finished his food and was nestled on her lap. "I promise they aren't like that every day. It's just that ever since Josephina died, Kris and Algerone's relationship has been rocky. I would do something but I'm not in the right position to do so." Marchioness Amelie gave an uncomfortable chuckle.

 

House Saurridge had some complicated relations. A dead mother, an unnamed brother, and two clashing relatives. Was joining this family really the right choice? 

 

Please alert me of any grammar errors or any incorrect sentences, thanks!

Also, this is what I would imagine Audriana's outfit to look like, the shoes probably aren't rococo period but I just fell in love with them.

Spoiler

The Robe à la Française, or SacqueEmerald Jade Green & Metallic Gold Brocade Heels Shoes Marie | Etsy  

[collapse]

6