Chapter 360: Alice’s Promise
216 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although it would hurt, Alice let herself be free from the worries that would come after. Her perception of the world had color now, and it was all thanks to the sun that accompanied her lonely days. Alice Dame, the Burned Woman, Burnt Woman, she was them, but at the moment she just want to be the step-mother to Nia. She could feel her connection from above quiet, her main body was entering a divine slumber.

“Can I really have a bit of happiness? Even for someone like me?” she asked the heavens. The heavens were her constant companion in her journey throughout the years. All alone under the skies of barren wastelands of forgotten worlds. She had seen things that would break hearts. She saw the ends of civilizations and had always been alive to see grand worlds turned into dust. She was sick of it, yet her heart yearned for companionship, and she found it on a soul she had maltreated. She wanted to give the soul a happy life. She had seen herself as a tool.

The little girl slept peacefully on the bed, a happy smile on her face. She was bask by the moonlight and she didn’t sleep separately. She was afraid that Alice would leave her. Despite being the incarnation of the bleak walked named Vie. In this world she was merely a child without the memories of her past life. She didn’t want to make her suffer, and thus she had to remove her curse. Curses were twisted lines of curses that intertwined within one’s souls. She has her own curse, and she had been able to suppress it. She had suppressed the curse and even though it was not fully remove like hers, she would still be fine.

Alice has a sliver of the power of creation on her palms. She is a living God that walks the planes of man. She couldn’t use her power freely, knowing that this would cause the world around her to be unstable. Even she wouldn’t come out unscathed if the Ancients of this world were to gang up on her. She could feel a presence of someone so strong in this world and yet it does not worry her. She had no qualms about these beings. But in a scenario where she detects they would try to mess with the current status quo of the world. She would destroy them. She would gladly put them down for the sake of the little girl.

Realizing that her thoughts were venomous. She shook her head and turned her eyes outside the town. The town was quiet and the few who work on the wharf are starting there early. She was able to discern the colors so she had greater appreciation for the town. She watched from her balcony. Head leaned on the fence of her house. This world was rather stable due to the Hominy Spell that the heroes of this world had casted. The only thing that this world has to worry was the skies. For every civilization that she saw thrived had met their end because they didn’t watch the stars.

Still, that was not her role at the moment. She knew that as long as she exists then her heart wouldn’t be able to forgive herself if she couldn’t save those who can’t protect themselves. She was a god and yet there were so many affairs in this world that taking care of them would exhaust her.

This time Alice Dame, the Burned Woman wanted to be save. She wanted to be save from this void of darkness that covers her. That darkness was reaching out to her mind and yet she couldn’t dare to shake her head away from such thoughts.

She recalled the primordial beings and gods she met. They all held cold hearts and she couldn’t understand why they would. Then, she had spent an eternity wandering and helping that she finally understood why they would let their hearts be colder than ice. It was better that way. She also understood why even though she had slain them they felt no emotion other than joy. An eternity of wandering could only feel so good unless one has a constant companion. Hence the gods worries about the cycles of reincarnation. There was a vast infinity that she saw. Even a being like her could not possible watch all of it. She could divide herself to fragments and watched with an omniscient eye, but it tires her.

Not that she could use that powers in this world. Her main body had the powers while she was only a sliver. Still, her consciousness has been divided into two, but it still felt that she was whole. The visions of her pasts still walked upon her, and the screams still lingered. She could take them on as long as her sun was around. She could endure it, thinking, that if someone like her Nolan could survive despite not having the qualities of a god. Then she should be ashamed of herself.

“Nolan,” she whispered.  She thought of the bleak walker that fought for her and defied her. The thought of him experiencing so many deaths because of her whims brought her pain. When she ended the Pale Shine Lady. She saw their memories and how that man’s soul crumbled as they dance. His main soul should be around, and yet she couldn’t dare to seek for him.  She had always asked herself what would have happen if they didn’t come for her that day. Would she have lived a quiet life with their twins? Listening to the sounds of the river and the clacking of bamboo? Would she have watched them grow into wonderful people? Would she had been able to enjoy a life with him?

But those questions are questions. She could not change the past that had happened. There was no world to reverse the past and she had destroyed it when she freed her children from being used as a tool for a world to thrive. She turned toward Nia who was still sleeping soundly. She smiled, and then thought.

Sleep well, little one. I’ll accompany you as long as I could. I promise.

7