Chapter 304: Hurts and Pain
222 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Arel felt sweat run down his neck. Ania was fanning her self while the stranger, who should be in bed, was walking around the fields, completely harvesting all the tomatoes in the field. Arel had been on this island for four years. He lived the land and knew how to cultivate it. He risked and planted a lot this year, trying to challenge himself. But to think that the rows of tomatoes and crops he planted would be easily picked up today. It could say that this stranger was a blessing. Oh, he should really call him Nolan.

“Thank you!” Arel said, gladdened.

“It’s no problem,” Nolan placed the basket down. “This is a relaxing work for me. Far different from the usual things that I do.”

“You’re amazing. It was like this was nothing to you.”

Nolan opened his mouth but closed it. “If my body fails me now then I don’t know what to say.”

“Well, you helped me, Nolan.”

“My pleasure,” he sat cross-legged, watching the plants. Behind the plans was the sun climbing down to rest at the bottom of the sea. The wind grazed the pink, purple and green trees on the edges of Arel’s vision.

“This is a nice island.”

“Yes, Sir.”

Arel couldn’t see Nolan’s face when he said that. But, somehow, there was a somber mood that came at him at that moment. It was something that Arel felt wounding him as well. He recalled the war not too long ago. He was fighting for his life while making sure that he would stay alive. Ania was around so he wasn’t that broke, and was able to leave with her when the war was done. They have survived and they came here on this island to find peace.

“I won’t ask.”

“Ask what?”

“What makes you always have that look on your face.”

Nolan laughed. “And here I thought I was good at hiding it by now.”

“I think you are good at it. Maybe you have reached your breaking point.”

Nolan sighs. “I think you’re right. I’ve lost so much. I’ve hurt and pained too much that the thought of this island bothers me. I fear that this is another rest in the storm. I hope it is not. I’m so tired of running and fighting. I’m so tired of losing people that I love again and again. I’m done fighting with the best of all I have only for the world to pry it away from my hands. I’m so tired, but the will in me refuses to sleep. Even after all these years, the thought of giving up and lying down scares me. Do you know why?”

Arel thought and looked back at the war he fought. “Because it would be a dishonor to the people who did not make it alive?”

“Yes, exactly, that’s why I am afraid that putting my body down would dishonor them. I had my moments where I just broke. Hah, I don’t even know why I’m saying this to someone who I just met.”

“It’s okay,” Arel said. “I don’t fully understand, but I think that I know that pain. It might be a little pain, but I understand some of it.”

Arel continued, “But we survive, and we owe it to those who we left behind where we are now. I sometimes asked why I wake up in the morning. Why do I bother to plow the fields? But, I think that there’s still beauty in the world. And honestly, I think we’re too tired to give up.”

Nolan was painted by the sun. He looked at the sky without clouds. The moon appeared alongside its smaller red moon. The stars appeared like dotted white ink being pointed by a brush. Pink and purple leaves were blown away and the plants before them tilted.

“I think so too,” Nolan said, holding his head with his left hand.

Arel looked at the ground. “I don’t know what you’re suffering too. I wouldn’t even dare to presume that I can truly understand. But, I think you should not let it get to you too much.”

Arel stood. He took the baskets with him inside the shed. He left Nolan alone in the field. He arranged the baskets, took the tomatoes and made sure that they were properly placed in the bin. Then, he heard the voice of two young ladies outside his door. He opened the front door and saw Lady Vitoria and Miss Lucille waiting. Lady Vitoria wore her outfit, a flowing fairy dress, two plated boots and her magic sword within her grasp. Alongside her was Miss Lucille, wearing her uniform, carrying a bag.

“Good day, Arel. I see that you are doing well. I’ve heard of the stranger. Would you mind if we meet him? We have questions to ask him.”

“No, it’s not a bother. Please go to the back to see him. He’s watching the fields as we speak.”

Lady Vitoria nodded and looked Arel straight in the eye. “Do you think he should stay?”

Arel looked up fore a second before aligning his eyes to hers. “He helped me pick all the tomatoes today, milady. He was grateful and calm. I confirmed that he’s a soldier, don’t know which country, but I think he’ll do fine. You could say that he’s just like some of the people who fought in the Former Empire. I think he’ll behave here.”

“I see,” Lady Vitoria fiddled with the pommel of her sword.

Miss Lucille fondled her bag. “I think we should ask him ourselves, Milady. We need to inform him of the rules if he’s staying.”

“I know,” she breathed. “Arel, we’ll be meeting him. Please excuse us.”

They went around the house and walked to Nolan who was staring. Arel thought about listening in, but he instead walked away from the glass of the door and twisted on the living room’s couch. Ania came in. She sat on the seat while twirling her earth wand.

“Are you done with the blessings?”

She bobbed her head. “I am. That went smoothly.”

“It did,” Arel said, looking outside the house. The sun had rested and all that was left was the moon and her little companion that orbits around her.

9