Chapter 328: Runes and Monsters
215 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Nolan took the time to ensure that his power was optimal. The island was far too precious to put his experiments on a test. He did not want to disrupt any peace on the island and thus he chooses to test his in this place.

Before he got the power and the understanding of the runes. He relied on the knowledge he learned from Audrey Cress, the Witch of Nether, and his teacher in the arts of Rune Crafting. Rune Crafting was limited to what he could weave and form on his fingers or draw in the air.

However, ever since that world, he had taken a step. He pulled on the weaves, the strings themselves to create a reaction. To do this his body stimulates the place where the strings are and reached it by phasing. When he phases he reaches and creates a chain reaction in which if pulled on properly he could create his spell and activate certain effects.

“Blinking,” he said, his body appearing into a flash of light. He had done this by the concept of his body accelerating forward. Like two ends of a wire where the light signal is transmitted. He can also do this in long distances and even use the ‘strings’ to fish out any enemy and teleport to the places he had attached these strings. Not like this world has enemies, to begin with.

Spreading these strings he sought for any hostile life on the island. He felt three of them and choose to imitate the spell in which they return to the world they come from.

“Home, huh,” he stared at the sky. It was blue and cloudless. Not a single thing other than the strange view of this world. “I don’t remember home. If I could construct a gate that would leave me back home. Then I wonder where I would go? Which home would I return to?”

The spell they used is based on the attachment of each living being to the home they are returned to. When struck with the spell they are spirited away to the place they should belong to. There were various clauses in the spell that governs this world. Nolan could feel the strings they have attached and even he could not influence it. Unlike the other worlds, this world was static. It will not change unless the cycle chooses to change.

A giant fish leap out of the ocean in an arc, leaving behind droppings of water. Nolan pulled on the spell and watched the ripple of water turned still. He heard the sound of the ocean crashing through the sand and the strong winds pushing against him. He moved around the island until he saw Bach’s boat marooned not far from the island. His vision stayed still and suddenly, with a quick step, he was on the deck of the boat. BacH was on the front with his fishing pole. He looked sideways as if the quickstep did not bother him. Was everyone on the island used to this kind of power?

Nolan sidled beside him. Bach continued fishing while watching the seas.

“Got any fish?”

“I have. Do you want to eat? Or do you still want to travel in my boat? Ah, do not give me that look, friend. People in our lovely island tend to fool themselves about their powers. We are fools who fought in a war and tries our best to act normal. I can see why the Lady wants you here, friend. Ah, perhaps you are older than me as well?”

“Not that it matters, Bach.”

“Aye, it does not matter. If you want to use my boat then I’d be happy to. She’s an old one but she needs to stretch her sea legs. Aside from Edward, who I tend to ferry on the mainland and back. It’s only you so far who uses my boat.”

“I thank you. I have no dime to pay you right now.”

“Ah, buy me some drink and we call it even. The sister’s inn should be nice eh?”

Nolan nodded. His hands clasped behind the back, and his head held motionlessly and facing forward. There was a silence for a moment as the ocean vows before them.

Bach pulled on his fishing pole. Nolan leaned his rear on the side of the boat and choose to watch over. His eyes sharpened and beyond the blue seas, he saw the hill-size sea creatures that populate the underwater.

“The sea of giants,” Bach said. “They say that once there were even larger creatures such as this. Some of them are predators who hunt ships and destroys islands with a single leap out of the water. This sea was once filled with islands, but those islands have drowned because of the sea giants.”

“How did they cope?”

“We accepted the tragedy. Most of the people realized the futility of waging a war against the ocean. Those who could not accept hunted down the sea creatures in where they appeared, bathing the ocean with blood. When the dragons arrived they choose to keep the monsters at bay by their presence alone. To wage war on the ocean is foolish. And thus we compromised.”

“I understand.”

“You do not like monsters. You have the same eyes of those who hunt with them, and that it is like watching my own eyes.”

“Yes. I spent my whole life fighting them. I bled a lot from them. I saw friends die in their hands. I know that there are some sentient creatures, but to truly love them whole is something I cannot accept. I don’t think anyone could sleep soundly with mad dogs sleeping next to them.”

“Yet we have to listen to reason. It is quite hard, isn’t it? But we must listen to our hearts and minds before we let our primal desires take over.”

Nolan nodded his head and sat on the edge of the boat. “I guess you could say that,” Nolan agreed. Bach nodded as well, tugging on the fishing pole, reeling anything that bit the bait. When he was done playing with the fishes. They prepared a grill in which they then eat and shared a drink.

7