Chapter 5 – インビズブル ドラゴン
428 9 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Although Ume did not know this at the time, the island of Aerelieth was governed by a line of elven aristocrats, and it was one of the most prominent islands in the kingdom of Sky Archipelago. Hundreds of pedestrians in the city watched in sheer horror as a smoking airship careened towards the harbor's observation tower.

"Sir, we have a rogue airship that isn't responding to our air traffic control signals," a harbor officer reported inside the tower. "It's a friendly vessel registered to the Conshire Isles, but it appears to be heavily damaged and approaching at very high velocity. That's a speed violation, by the way, and a 100 GP fine."

"Transmit final warning signal: RED STOP HALT..."

"It's too late!!!"

The airship ultimately crashed into an observation tower in the island's harbor.

A cloud of debris flew into the air, and the brick tower crumbled in half, toppling over the surrounding buildings. Civilians ran screaming from the scene of destruction, and several craftsmen looked totally shell-shocked at the newest disaster to strike their city. The remnants of Ume's airship plowed into the local tannery, completely obliterating the neighborhood leather-making business.

+ + +

Of course, Ume knew she had done something bad...

As soon as she made that final push, the 53-year-old dragon instantly realized that she made a mistake. Airships weren't like birds, and they obviously didn't know how to land by themselves. She didn't know exactly why she had thought that propelling the airship towards the harbor was a good idea, but a part of her brain had seen a power outlet and an electrical plug. Human airships belonged in human harbors, just like electrical plugs were meant for power sockets, and Ume had instinctively pushed 1 + 1 together.

...Maybe that wasn't such a smart thing to do.

Ume decided to remind herself that it was probably a bad idea to run around spontaneously performing basic arithmetic.

>__>

Like any very responsible adult dragon, Ume promptly ditched the scene of the crime. She quickly noticed that this was a fairly populated island, and it would be bad if anyone witnessed her draconic misdemeanor. Consequently, Ume adjusted her shapeshifting transformation so that her scales were nearly colorless, making her extremely difficult to spot many kilometers away in the sky. To begin with, Ume's current compact form was only about the size of a large dog, so she was tiny in comparison with a large fast-moving airship.

Someone with particularly sharp eyes might have noticed a levitating green slime though. 

Ume was still carrying her "best friend", and it appeared to float innocently in midair.

Otherwise, Ume hoped that nobody saw her.

Ume was now an Invisible Dragon (インビズブル ドラゴン)!

>w<

+ + +

The uproar in the streets of Aerelieth aside, Ume floated casually through the boulevards of the harbor city. It was truly a beautiful city with alabaster stone and tall elegant mansions, and Ume marveled like a tourist at the construction ability of the human species. Of course, she had no idea that it was actually an elven city, but the Great City of Aerelieth hardly looked elvish by stereotypical standards. 

Given Ume's prior experiences with the slime-murdering adventurers, the 53-year-old dragon was already working under the broad assumption that humans were evil in this universe, and this city must be a stronghold for the forces of darkness. That said, the mansions here were very stylish, and Ume privately remarked that the "Bad Guys" always seemed to be rich and have all the nice things...

But she mustn't be tempted with gold, treasure, and material luxuries.

(All dragons loved treasure, after all)

As a "good" dragon, Ume was undercover and infiltrating the enemy base!

In fact, it was probably time for some investigative journalism.

She decided to float into a sizable building that had a sign that read: "The Adventurer's Guild".

The first humans that she had met were adventurers, so Ume thought it would be a good idea to investigate their background.

This seemed to be a fairly busy establishment, and there were dozens of people who swarmed in and out of this office nearly constantly. Since there was so much traffic, Ume deduced that this was surely an important place for performing evil acts. Confident with her reasoning ability, Ume drifted in through the front door and hovered near the reception desk. She observed the suspicious interactions between the two-legged people like an invisible fly on the wall.

Sure enough, the first person to approach the reception desk put a dozen bloody goblin ears onto the table. The adventurer told an elaborate story about how he subjugated and slew a dozen goblins, and how he suffered from numerous scratches and bruises due to his heroics. The receptionist nodded in approval and placed a handful of silver coins on the table.

The second adventurer presented three giant eggs to the receptionist. Apparently, these eggs were obtained from the nest of a Giant Roc, and for some reason everyone in the room gasped with sparkling eyes of admiration upon hearing the tale of how this adventurer braved the cave of this legendary creature and survived to bring back this precious treasure.

The third adventurer was an inventor, and he described how he spent his day trying to develop a milking machine for cows. Ume was actually horrified by this story (as well as the last one, which involved the terribly reprehensible act of baby-stealing), since something about milking cows seemed deeply offensive and sexually depraved. Why couldn't humans drink human milk like every other normal mammal? Drinking another species' milk was just flat out weird... 

In either case, Ume was absolutely convinced that the humans of this universe were totally remorseless and evil.

Her brief investigation into the the Adventurer's Guild proved that fact without a doubt.

Humans were totally bad...

 

17