The Spire’s Shadow
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Neto spent the rest of that day sleeping, bathing, and then sleeping again- after trying some of Nornenheim's street food.

That meal only cost him four coppers: Lava-hot stew, with chunks of rabbit-meat bursting with flavor and pita for dipping.

He also read the note Goren gave him. Most of it was encrypted in a code Neto couldn't understand, but the lower paragraph was a small goodbye that hinted the two were unlikely to see each other again for a while.

Goren had left to clear out a massive wild spawn dungeon which appeared in the middle of North's great wood, along with other great adventurers from Nornenheim. Hopefully Tessa wouldn't be too lonely...

There was also a drawing of three rings, noted: [Dungeon Identifiers]. Each was lined with strange runes, which Goren labeled as 'large', 'small', 'dangerous', 'easy', etc…

Neto put the note back in his inventory and swore he would find away to decrypt its message.

He was fairly confident Toru would show up. He was no phycologist, but that boy was definitely scared of the [Grand Void].

Even if he didn't come, one gold coin was enough for Neto to settle into this game and start leveling up in the meantime. He wouldn't let this body go to waste, and he certainly wouldn't skimp out on health potions.

Still, having someone with knowledge of this world would help Neto start strongly. He'd learned how ridiculously rich Goren was after observing the power of one gold coin.

[Azel]-{You're gonna be late, idiot.}

"Yeah, yeah.. it's early ok!"

Fortunately, Toru was there before Neto even arrived.

"Did you wait long?"

"Nah, just got here..." Toru pouted.

Neto's new clothes were loose, reminding him of a Rogue's uniform. He fastened his daggers below a light outer-cloak, tucking brown pants into the boots Old-man Tadao gave him. Thick laces that wrapped around his ankles offered support.

All-in-all, Neto felt like he belonged in this world. The promise he made to himself on the night of Goren's engagement seemed foolish, yet tangible in morning's glow.

Neto would lose himself in this world. If SUN forced him to log out, he would ask truck-kun to send him back. He would fight for his stake in this new body, in this new life, until he became strong enough to challenge fate.

Just as they began their journey, Neto noticed a familiar face on their way to the tavern.

"Oh, Hi Tessa!" Neto smiled with all of his teeth.

"Who is that?" Toru asked, bewildered.

He'd become a full-radish.

It took a few seconds for Tessa to recognize Neto, but she smiled and waved back. Her cheeks held more color, her step had a faint limp, and her spirits seemed as high as the clouds. Neto was happy for her.

"... How... Do... YOu... KNOw... Her..." Toru rasped.

The radish drained from his skin, becoming a husk.

There was playful cruelty in Neto's silence, but Toru's molasses gait grew annoying.

"Ok, she's my friend's wife! Will you just pick up the pace already?!"

"...fine." he pouted.

Once Toru regained his energy, his movement was quiet, but had animalistic speed. Neto was a bit intimidated, this kid really was like a bunny! Or an assassin...

Nornenheim's double-circle structure revealed itself as the pair journeyed.

There were two centers here, one housing [Raincloud]'s Adventurer Guild, and the larger of the two housing the [Grand Void], a mother-dungeon which held many smaller dungeons within.

According to Toru, Mother dungeons were rare, but wherever they popped up, so did cities like Nornenheim. Merchant guilds were constantly building roads, connecting mother-dungeon cities to the nearby [Silver Empire] for trade.

There was a fortune to be made in rare monster parts, ores, plants, crystals, and artifacts. Artisans prospered just as much. In fact, supplying these adventurers was the most lucrative business of all.

Despite Nornenhiem's frigid air, Neto and Toru arrived at the [Grand Void]'s bazaar with sweat on their backs.

Forever cast under the void's shadow; this was a place of eternal night. Even in broad day, the bazaar required lanterns to light the way.

Countless supplying stores compromised the bazaar, squashed together- and sometimes stacked on top of one another.

Smoke and steam billowed from huts, marking them as forgers, alchemists, or street-food vendors. Adventurers who cleared dungeons early would head here for a fast re-supply, and head back out.

The reason for this everlasting shadow was surprising. Intuitively, Neto thought the [Grand Void] would be some large hole in the ground, but...

"Shouldn't this thing be called the [Grand Spire]?"

His eyes were on an immense tower, which looked as if someone had twisted molten amethyst to the heavens. Gold, red, and green speckles marked dungeon entrances, twinkling like stars in an artificial night sky.

"It's a gateway to unbound space," Toru explained, "Just because it looks like a spire, doesn't mean we'll be climbing stairs when we enter."

"I see... are you sure we'll be fine with just the two of us?"

"Y-yes..." Toru stuttered. "If y-you don't want to delve with me, sign up at the guild first. It's easy to find allies there..."

Neto could see through this kid's false confidence. He guessed the other groups at [Raincloud] had ignored him since he looked weak, which made Neto want to help him.

Even though Neto was Lv. 0, he could call on Rakshasa if events took a bad turn.

"Nah, I'll come with you. Though, why did you sign up at the guild if you want to be a solo delver? Just for the rank?"

Toru's eyes met his, deep brown, lit with fierce determination. He nodded.

'Well, there are always highly competitive people like this,' Neto sighed. ' But don't they usually have higher testosterone?'

"Where's your unique spirit by the way?" he wondered. Toru looked down at his feet.

"F-Fen was against me going since he's not big enough to enter [Grand Void]. The mana is strange in that dungeon, so only well-cultivated spirits can maintain their form inside."

"What about demons"

Toru gave Neto a confused look.

"Never mind… dumb question."

Hopefully, he wouldn't have to summon Rakshasa.

He led Toru into one of the alchemist huts, characterized by a display of potions guarded by a pair of fierce-looking Demi-humans with wolf-ears.

Inside the hut, a spectacled man named Kasai introduced them to his pet lizard, which looked more like a baby dragon in Neto's eyes. Another unique spirit.

After failing to haggle with Kasai, neither Toru nor Neto wanted to pay 3-silver's for lesser potions, but Neto bought four HP pots, anyway. It would be suicide traveling without them.

[Store]:[Silver]:{34}

[HP Flask]-{4}

[Inventory]--{14.4/15 lbs}

It was strange how the information manifested itself in his mind. He enjoyed the voice of his old system more.

His inventory might've been low, but he could fit more loot in his backpack, anyway.

Bodies packed the strip leading to [Grand Void]; a melting pot of races. Demi humans were common, and almost everyone had a unique spirit by their side, on their shoulder, or clinging to their back.

Neto saw many races he couldn't recognize: pointed beaks, jagged scales, and swooshing tails were visible almost everywhere he looked, on top of dwarves, elves, lizard-people, and even goblins.

Women with giant broadswords towered over the crowd, most likely giants or some giant-derivative.

In fact, Neto thought the sex ratio was more or less even here... Not what he expected from a medieval world.

Everyone was heading one way or the other: to the void, or back from the void.

Those coming back from [Grand Void] were haggard. Their faces wrinkled with caked sweat, blood, and grimy filth. Most walked in groups of three to five, and had a designated loot carrier.

After a quick meal of rice and meat at a nearby food-tent, it was 9am.

With bellies full, Neto and Toru made their way to the spire's base, which was so large they could hardly see from one side to the other. Churning portals of onyx circled the amethyst structure. There were so many entrances that no lines formed, despite the astounding number of people.

"Ready?" Neto asked his partner.

Despite his emaciated appearance, Neto was confident in the strength and vitality of his new body.

Toru's hands were shaking around the hilt of his short-sword.

"Y-yeah! Lets go!"

Neto thought HE was the king of false confidence...

They stepped through a stygian gate.

0