49: Spicy Gumbo City
221 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We arrived at Five-Fire City and it was hot as balls in a sauna. Summer was technically supposed to be over already, but the weather clearly didn’t know that, and everyone who could do so, was using either their aura, core-treasures, or artifacts to create bubbles of climate control for themselves. Jack and I naturally weren’t an exception to this, even though both of us had reached a level of strength where our bodies could be tossed into a lava flow and we’d be no worse for wear. Damage was one thing, comfort and discomfort were another, and even if our tolerance was higher, our sensitivity was also just as high.

After we left Five-Fire City’s airport and docks, a train of carriages carried our group to a hotel that allies and outer-circle members of the Tree of Passionate Verdance had rented out, for us, beforehand. The hotel they settled us all in was a fairly swanky one, though I guess that shouldn’t have been a surprise. The Tree of Passionate Verdance was pretty up there as far as middle-realm sects went and it would have been bad for their rep for our disciples and elders to be bunking in a more business-class hotel.

“Alright, the tournament’s not for a few days, so all of you have some time to make a few last-minute preparations you might need to make. Or you know, just take some time to head out, see the city, I know some of you might have invited your families to come and witness the tournaments,” said Trefor, one of the two High-Elders that had been sent to look after this whole operation.

“That being said, please be careful and be cautious...Our competitors, rivals, and enemies are also present here, so be vigilant. Also, though I’d like to think it need not be said, you shouldn't forget the sect that you represent as you go out there. Be mindful of your conduct because losing face for our sect at this juncture may carry heavy consequences,” said Elder Miya.

“And that’s it...You’re dismissed to do as you will,” said Trefor.

Honestly, that little speech sounded like something you’d give to high-school or college-aged brats. I would have felt like it was totally unnecessary but standing beside the two high-elders and looking out into the sea of mostly young faces, it also “looked” like we were talking to a group of high-school to college-aged brats.

What’s more, after doing a couple of escort missions where I had to look after these punks and living in the sect for a while, I’d learned that in a lot of ways good and bad, mental age and body age were often intrinsically linked. Which meant that there were a lot of 50 and 60 years olds in that crowd who still sometimes acted like they were University sorority/fraternity members during freshman rush.

As the disciples filled out of the hotel ballroom, Trefor and Miya turned to us elders. The “elder”-iness drained from Trefor, like air from one of those inflatable noodle-men, that they put outside the carriage and magic-beast depots. Elder Miya on the other hand still looked like she had her managerial hat on.

Hell, she gave off vibes that made it feel like she’d had that hat on so long it’d kind of merged with her hair. Put plainly she didn’t look like the sort that was easy to get along with, but thankfully, she didn’t look like the sort that you’d have to work “around” either. So, it’d probably be fine if we didn’t end up friends or whatever.

“Alright, guys...Since the tournament’s not until a few days and most of the disciples will be out and about in the meantime, we don’t actually need all of you here right now...So uh, consider this downtime until further notice,” said Trefor.

“That being said, please make sure to keep your communication artifacts on you, so that we can reach you all if the situation changes,” said Elder Miya.

There was a murmur of assent from us senior-, and junior-, elders. There was this weird old man sitting in the background behind Miya and Trefor who scowled at our group until we gave a loud and clear.

“Yes, seniors!”

I got the sense that the old man was giving Jack and I the eye the hardest for some reason, but who knows. Maybe I was just being overly self-conscious? In any case, Jack and I followed the procession and Disciples and Elders filling out of the big expensive hotel that our sect had bought out for status reasons, and ironically, pretty much no one was actually going to be staying in during our stay.

*************************************************************************************************************

“So what do you think we should do?” I said. Looking around at the tall wood, concrete, and brick buildings that dominated Five-Fire City’s Skyline. Paying special attention to the radiant exhaust flames, from the spirit-energy furnaces that fueled most of the city industry and defenses, and gave the city its name.

“I think we should go see Alina and Sigi...I’m pretty sure they still live here, and well, it’s been a while,” said Jack.

“Hm, sounds like a plan...Should I look up where they are, or do you still have their contact info?” I said.

Jack rolled her eyes and laughed.

“Dude, you literally run the network for those ‘contacts’...Stop messing around,” said Jack.

“Right, right…,” I said. Chuckling and shaking my head, at my little lapse. Then I pulled Alina's communication data from within the communication network that I’d set up a while back, and gave her a call.

9