Mansion of the Undead
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Greetings, my friend.

This account details my first true experience with the supernatural which changed the course of my life forever. I've been hesitant to write this down and share it even though you've asked about this incident many times, but I decided to go for it since it's related to a few other cases I wish to share. This event occurred during my last year of middle school in 1866 AW.


I often stayed after school on the last day of the week since I was a member of an occult club, and its meeting day was always the last day of the school week, regardless of what the day happened to be. The club covered just about everything supernatural, ranging from ghosts to monster sightings. It even covered UFOs and aliens, which a certain pair of teachers of mine never liked. Even the club's leader, an elf cousin of mine named Amisra, was hesitant to include them since there's nothing supernatural about living beings who happen to be from another planet, though she let the topic come up a few times anyway. The club didn't do much. We'd visit the occasional local sight where occurrences were said to take place during the day, but we just read about various supernatural accounts for the most part.

Did I believe in the supernatural as much as I do now given my almost daily interactions with it? I sure did for many reasons, such as a few supernatural encounters in my family history in all branches ranging from distant ancestors with the Renaud name to my dad's elf ancestors.

Oakiloris came around and was always the busiest month for the club thanks to a few holidays related to the supernatural, and we'd always have an influx of new members. Most of them would run for the hills once Novgrillon started and/or when they realized we were serious about this, including one prospective member who really did run for the hills about half a mile behind our school and never came back. Today we were welcoming once such new member, a boy named James who'd transferred to the school a week earlier. Nobody knew where he came from, though there were rumors flying around saying he was from a town far away. He expressed interest in the club and after a recommendation from my friend Koan, who happened to be out sick on the day of the club meeting, Amisra let James sit in on a club meeting. She was a little uneasy when he came in the room, though she didn't know why at the time. James dressed all in black, had matching hair, and always wore a gold ornate necklace which looked about as old as Amisra.

We were studying a case involving supposed demon sightings and James showed quite an interest in it since he claimed to have researched the topic for years. He also had a surprising amount of knowledge relating to local incidents and once four out of the ten permanent members showed up, James asked about incidents in the area surrounding the school.

"Incidents in the area?" A goblin named Ruiget asked. "There haven't been many, but there have been a few. The closest would be the old mansion a few blocks away. In fact, you can see it from here." He pointed to the classroom window, which gave us quite an impressive view of the area. If one looked toward the west, they could see a hill overlooking part of the city with a place known as Stagwood Mansion on top of it. It was once home to a local noble family, but the Stagwood named died out about three hundred years ago. Since then, the mansion has changed hands many times and rumors have flown about regarding numerous strange occurrences. Nobody had gone near the place in centuries if they could help it.

James smirked as he looked at Stagwood Mansion. "Have any of you been there? I figured a club like this wouldn't pass up a chance to visit a supernatural sight so close." Everyone in the room, myself included, stared at him.

"Are you insane?!" a human girl named Ruth shouted. "Nobody in town goes anywhere near that place if they can help it!"

"Oh? Why?" James asked.

"Because there's something wrong with the place!" a guy named Arlo shouted. "Even people who don't believe in this stuff knows the place is one to avoid."

"A place where even non-enthusiasts know something is wrong? Sounds like a serious matter." James remarked. "What has happened there, anyway? I'm new to this town, so I don't know anything about it yet."

Amisra sighed. "Where do I begin? I guess I could start with the piercing screams I've heard every night when walking around the area for at least the last two centuries, probably closer to three at this point. There's a reason few people live near here."

"Yes. Those screams have driven many people away from here and makes things difficult at times for those who choose to stay. I remember some livestreamer moved here a few years ago and had to stop broadcasting at night because the screams made it impossible to get anything done." Ruiget explained.

"Don't even get me started on the disappearances." Ruth said. "Nobody who's entered Stagwood Mansion has ever been seen again."

"Those sound and awful lot like rumors. Think there's any truth to them?" James asked.

Ruth nodded. "The local police force has been around for about a hundred and fifty years, and there's been reports relating to Stagwood Mansion since the beginning. They would investigate the place, but they stopped after more than five officers disappeared." Ruth always enjoyed studying police reports since a few of her relatives worked in law enforcement at some point. She's helped with a few cases over the last few years, but those are stories for another time.

"The mansion still sounds like something worth investigating for a group like this." James remarked. "There's four of you now and ten members in total, right?"

Amisra nodded. "Correct."

"With ten members, each I assume with phones to store notes on and to contact one another, you should be able to find something out there and report it even if something does happen."

Ruth hesitated for a moment. "You have a point. It's a risky move regardless, but we have considered sending a few teams to investigate the place in the past."

"Really?" James asked, sounding more excited than one would've expected.

"Indeed." Ruth began. "Though it wouldn't hurt to send one member there ahead of us to give us an impression of what we're going to find."

"True, but who should we send?" Amisra asked.

I thought the matter over for a few minutes and since nobody else spoke up, I for some reason decided to blurt out, "I'll go at some point over the weekend since I live in the area. Just far enough for the screams to be an occasional minor nuisance."

"Are you sure, Colin?" Amisra asked.

"I am. Besides, don't we have access to a house near there anyway?" I asked.

"True. A former club member did give us permission to use his house as a meeting place. We can meet up there before you go to the mansion. Do you accept?" Amisra asked. I nodded. "Then I'll approve of this as long as you report everything you experience while in the mansion and ensure you keep me updated at least every hour so I know what to expect, and to ensure you're still alive. If you come back alive, be prepared to give us the full details of your investigation at our next meeting. Do you accept these terms?"

I nodded. "Though if something happens, I'll haunt each of you for the rest of your lives." I laughed.

"You sure would." Arlo chuckled.

"Then consider this investigation underway. Good luck, Colin Renaud." Amisra got up. "Meeting adjourned."


I couldn't have picked a worse night to head for the Stagwood Mansion. I went to the meeting place the next day to prepare as much as I could and to set things up with my phone, ensuring Amisra would get record of my experiences even if I didn't make it. I headed out the following day a little after four in the morning. Going out on a cold winter morning wasn't the best idea I ever had, but the time was decided since we wanted to investigate the place at night. James wanted us to pick an earlier time, but conceded to four in the morning. Anyway, once I set out, my trek to the mansion took a little over ten minutes and was uneventful for the most part given how early it was. I saw maybe half a dozen cars driving about and as I got closer to the mansion, the designs of the houses became more varied as I was in the oldest part of the area. I thought about many of the legends I'd heard about the place over the years as it came into view. Though the occurrences in the mansion didn't come up often in club discussions, I heard enough to pick up a few different theories about it. Some thought the place was haunted by people who met a grisly end, while others thought the place was home to a monster or even a vampire, and the screams heard throughout came from it's victims. Nobody knew for sure since nobody had ever returned from the place such as the numerous law enforcement officers Ruth mentioned at the meeting, and even the occasional army.

I was standing before the steps of the mansion before I knew it and prepared to knock on the door. I knew it would've been in my best interest to leave, but I'd already come this far and didn't intend on staying longer than I had to. No later than sunrise if I could help it. The door was locked, so I gave it a soft knock. "Looks like nobody's home. Might as well go." I chuckled, preparing to turn around and walk away when I heard the door unlock. It swung open a moment later and a figure stood in the doorway.

He looked at me and smiled. "Oh. It looks like we have a visitor."

I walked up and saw a boy only a little older than myself standing there with short black hair and wearing a suit in a popular style from several centuries back. "Oh. Uh...hello. Don't mind me. I was just leaving."

"So soon?" the boy asked. "And after the mistress made me go through the trouble of preparing a feast just for you, too."

"Y...you must be mistaken. I really must go." I stammered as I prepared to run.

"Nonsense. You're Colin Renaud, aren't you?"

I stopped in my tracks. "You know who I am?"

He nodded. "The mistress is expecting you."

"She is?" I asked. "How did she know I was coming?"

The boy shrugged. "I never question my mistress's motives or knowledge. I just obey. It's easier for both of us. Anyway, please come inside unless you like staying outside in the middle of a winter's night."

I considered staying outside for a few moments, but I was starting to freeze and though people of elf descent like me have some resistance to cold weather, it wasn't enough to survive outside for long. "You have a point."

He bowed while motioning for me to come in. "Then welcome to Stagwood Mansion." I walked past the boy and found myself in a long hallway with branches leading left and right. "You'll find the dining room in the east hallway on the north side, or the first door on the left. Whichever you prefer to call it." The boy said from behind me. "Though dinner's not quite ready yet."

"Dinner at this time of night?" I asked.

"Indeed. The family I serve is more active at night than during the day."

"And who's the family you serve?" I asked.

"All in due time." He replied. "Since I have to make a few more preparations before dinner is ready to be served, feel free to explore a bit up here in the meantime. Just be careful. Wandering too far in a place this old is a recipe for trouble. See you soon, Colin." The boy bowed once more before fading away, leaving me alone in front of the branching hallways.

I just stood there for a moment, trying to take in what I'd just seen. Did I really see a guy disappear before my eyes? As much as I tried to rationalize it as a trick of the mind given where I was, it wasn't long before I had to admit it really happened. Since I couldn't think of anything else to do, I went down the west hallway.


I passed by a door about a minute later. At first I was going to continue past it and see what was in the rest of the hallway, but I got a strange sensation as I walked by the door which I had only felt a few times before in rather strange situations. This peaked my curiosity, so I went on in. The room looked empty at first since I only saw a single small window at the other end of it, but then I looked at a small bed beneath it and saw a boy maybe a few years older than me sitting on the edge. He seemed normal enough, but I noticed his clothes were similar to ones I'd see in pictures from my grandfather's youth. I didn't think anything of it, though. I knew a few people who were into vintage fashion.

"Oh. Sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you." I said as put my hand on the door and prepared to leave. The boy looked up as I spoke.

"Huh? You can see me?" He asked, sounding bewildered.

"Yeah. Clear as day. Why?" I asked as I walked up to him and got my answer. I could see right through the boy. "Oh. You're a ghost." I blurted out as though it was normal to me, and it kind of was since I'd met a few ghosts before, or at least thought I did.

"Yep." The boy replied.

"Any connection to the incidents in this house?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No. For one, rumors of this house existed when I was alive. Besides, do I look like I would've been around throughout this house's history?"

"You have a point." I remarked. "Then why are you here?"

He sighed. "It's a bit of a long story."

I sat down on the other side of the bed. "I've got a little time."

"Ah. I warn you, though. It isn't exciting. My family was poor and in a bit of trouble. We needed a place to stay while on the way to a family friend and the owners of this place invited us in. I died, and I assume the rest of my family did too. I've been trapped here ever since." He lamented.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I began. "Wait. You assume the rest of your family is dead? You don't know?"

He shook his head. "I can't leave this room since this is where I died and something seems to keep me from leaving. I've just hung around and watched people come and go, knowing each of them were probably killed by the owners of this place. You might be different, though I doubt it."

"Great. What an encouraging thought." I sighed. "Has anybody seen you before?"

He shook his head. "Nobody except the owner of the house and her children, though they can't get in here for some reason. Probably the same reason why I can't leave."

"Ah. What do you know about the owners of the mansion?" I asked.

"Nothing of use, I'm afraid." The boy replied. "I don't remember much after coming here, but I do remember one thing and I must warn you. Be careful of the food, the dessert above all else. It may look good, but eat the wrong thing and you'll be out cold forever."

"Poison?" I asked. The boy nodded. "Is that how you, uh..."

"Died? Yep. I brought some desserts here after dinner, ate some in the middle of the night, and this happened."

"I'll be careful, then." I said. "What about the servant?"

He looked up. "A servant? You mean the old guy?"

"The one I saw was a black haired boy maybe a little older than me."

"I don't know of any matching your description." He replied. "When I came here, the only servant I saw was an old man. This other guy must've come after I did."

"I see." I said. "Thanks for the tip about the dessert."

"No problem. If it saves you from my fate, perfect. I'd recommend getting out of here, but I doubt you can since you're already here. Sill, you might be lucky. I might see you again in either case." The boy faded away, leaving me alone in the room.


At least a ghost fading away makes sense." I muttered to myself as I left the room. "But I wish I knew what the deal is with the servant. Might as well keep exploring." I went a little further down the hall and before I knew it, I found myself surrounded in darkness and felt walls all around me, indicating I had come to a dead end. "Looks like there's nothing to see here." I turned around to head back to the dining room and felt a hand grab my arm with a strength I'd never encountered before. "Hey!! Let go!! I shouted as I tried to get free.

"Not happening!" A girl's voice answered. My captor turned on a light on the wall and I got a good look at her. She looked maybe a few years younger than me and wore a dress older than almost anyone I knew at the time. "Yes. You match the description my mom gave me of tonight's visitor."

"Your mom? I'm guessing she's the owner of this mansion?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yep. Madame Kosenka."

"How did she know I was coming tonight?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. She just does. She sure picks good quality dinners, though." She remarked, grinning from ear to ear.

"Dinner? Well, I'm sure your servant has finished preparing it by now, so why don't we head down to the dining room?"

"Oh no. I prefer eating down here. I almost never go up to the dining room." She said.

"What is there to eat down here, then?" I asked.

"Plenty, such as the blood of foolish kids who come here during our time." She smirked.

Many things about the mansion started to click in my mind when I heard those words. "Wait. You're a vam--"

"Bye bye, kid!" She shouted as she pinned me against a wall and flashed two long fangs, confirming my suspicions. "Now be silent. Food shouldn't talk." She beamed as she brought her fangs down on my neck. I couldn't think of a way out of this and thought about how foolish it was to go to the mansion. I felt the fangs scrape against my skin for a moment before a figure emerged from the shadows and pulled the girl off of me, holding her in the air as I fell to the ground. When I got up, I saw the servant holding her by the collar of her dress as she squirmed. "What's the deal, Harold?! Want the kid to yourself? Forget it. He's mine, and you'll get what's left. It's how it worked with the last servant, newcomer!"

"Believe me, Amelia. I have no interest in his blood, though I'm sure its succulent." The servant began. "But I have orders from Madame Kosenka herself. None of you are to have a drop of his blood until she gets her fill."

"But he wandered into my wing of the house!" she shouted.

"Doesn't matter. An order from your mother is absolute." Harold stated.

The vampire girl sighed. "Fine. Now put me down!" Harold dropped her on the ground without saying a word. She took one last look at him before running down the hall, though I didn't know where she could be going.

"You're lucky I came by when I did, Colin." Harold noted. "Another few seconds and she would've had you."

"I'll say. Thank you."

"Don't mention it." Harold said. "Now follow me. Dinner is ready."

I nodded and followed. "So all of you are vampires?!" I asked, not knowing why I was accepting this already.

"Amelia and her family are, though I'm something of a special case." He replied.

"I see." I replied, though I didn't understand any of this. "Was it true when you said you had no interest in my blood?"

He nodded. "I don't drink the stuff here more than I have to and I have no interest in draining blood from a living being, but don't tell anyone."

I shook my head. "I won't." We went up to a large set of doors. Harold pushed the doors open, revealing a large room with a three tables spread across it. A full turkey sat on one, several plates of desserts sat on another, and the table between them was empty.

"Won't you get some food and sit down?" Harold asked as he say at the empty table. I nodded and put a turkey leg on a plate before sitting down across from him. "Liking the food so far, Colin?" Harold asked as I ate.

"Oh yes." I said, and meant it since the turkey was one of the best I'd eaten in ages. "Thank you, er...she called you Harold, right?"

The servant nodded. "Yes. I am known here as Harold."

"Then thank you, Harold." I replied. As I ate, I saw Harold just sitting there and looking bored. "Aren't you going to eat anything?" I asked as I finished the turkey.

"Not yet." He answered. "The mistress never lets servants eat this early outside of a few desserts. Speaking of which, would you like some?"

"I would, but..." I was a little hesitant as I thought of the ghost boy's warning about the desserts. "But...maybe I've had enough."

"Nonsense. You're going to need all the energy possible for tonight." Harold chuckled as he picked a few brownies up from a plate of them and placed them on the one in front of me. I noticed his choices were deliberate, as though he was avoiding some of them on purpose. "Here you go." He slid them across. "Don't worry. There's nothing wrong with these particular brownies." He then ate one of them. "See? If anything could affect you, they'd affect me as well."

I hesitated before I ate one of them. "If you say so, but they're delicious in any case."

"Perfect. I made them myself, based on the mistress's recipes."

"Madame Kosenka's?" I asked. He nodded. "She has good taste, in any case. Yet she's..."

Harold put a hand up. "Let's not get into what she is quite yet." He got up and took my plate away after I finished the last brownie.

"Aren't you the same as she?" I asked.

"Not exactly." He replied. "We can talk more later. I must take my leave before I face a scolding from Madame Kosenka." He started walking away for a moment and stopped before turning around. "Oh. Almost forgot. She's given you full permission to go anywhere you like in the mansion. Though as I'm sure you know from the incident earlier, things can be dangerous. Stay on your guard, and beware of her other three kids."

"Other..." I gulped. "There's four in total?"

"Yep." Harold said.

"Oh, great."

"They shouldn't be a problem if you stay on your guard at all times. I already saved you once tonight, and even that was close. It might be awhile before I can meet up with you downstairs."

"Downstairs?" I asked.

Harold pointed to a staircase at the back of the dining room. "You'll last longer if you go down to the lower level than you will up here with Amelia on the prowl. She'll find you soon enough even if you head to the upper floors."

"Would the lower floors be any better?"

"A little." He replied. "She doesn't head down there until close to dawn, and the others will wait for their mother's call before attacking anyone unless you go to one of their rooms. Though you won't since most of them aren't down there. Just hold out for a bit."

"I'll try." I said. Harold bowed before turning into mist along with the plates and fading away. "Well, here goes nothing." I thought as I approached the stairs. I glanced back at the desserts on the table and considered eating one more, but I thought about the ghost's warning along with Harold's careful selection of the desserts. He must've went for the ones without any poison in them, though I didn't know why he'd do such a thing. I decided not to think about it and figured trying another one was too big of a risk, so I went downstairs.


I couldn't see a thing when I reached the bottom step since there weren't any light sources except for a small window and the light from my phone. I heard some almost deafening screams, not unlike the ones I'd gotten used to hearing around the mansion, though they were louder than I'd ever heard them before. I knew the source of them had to be close to where I was standing, a few feet away at most. I couldn't see much, though the faint light from the window illuminated the outline of a few doors. I could just make out a small staircase in one, which I guessed led to a cellar or basement given the house's age, another had an engraving in the shape of an axe above it, and the third had a strange symbol on it I had never seen before drawn on it. I later learned it was a modified version of the Kosenka family seal. I decided to try each of them and would only look in for a moment to see what there was. I typed up what I'd seen so far and sent it to Amisra before approaching the door with the axe and placing my hand on it. To my surprise, it swung open.


I wandered into the room and used the light from my phone to see around me. I saw several weapons lining the walls and thrown about the floor. I knew a little about weapons at the time since my father and grandfather were and still are weapons experts. From what I remembered from their collections, the weapons before me were from many different eras and most were well cared for since they were as sharp as they could be. A few of the ones on the floor even had bits of blood on them which made me feel uneasy and with no desire to stay for any longer before my foot ran into what felt like a piece of wood. "What in the world?" I exclaimed as I bent down to pick it up. I couldn't see it well, but I could tell it was a stake as I ran my finger across it. Since I was in the lair of a family of vampires, I was certain it was from someone who tried to hunt them down and failed. I heard a girl laugh further down. I figured the laugh was from one of Kosenka's children and given the incident upstairs, I had no desire to meet her or any other member of the Kosenka family. I tried to back up through the door, but a figure ran in my direction while holding a blade. I could make out some details as the figure got close. She appeared to be in her teens, only a few years older than me at the time, had long black hair, wore a matching dress, and had two brown eyes along with a pale face. She stopped and pointed the knife at me once she was only a few feet away.

"I thought I heard someone moving about down here. Lucky for me since it's rare for someone to come down here like this." She smirked.

"Uh...that's nice." I stuttered.

"Not really. It means the rest of the family get the best parts of the blood and all I get are leftovers. Though not this time." She grinned. "Now sit there and die!"

"Not a chance!" I shouted as I ran through the door only for the girl to grab me by the wrist.

"You're not getting away so easily, human! I won't be cheated out of a fresh dinner!" she shouted as she swung her blade. She missed my neck by an inch as I ducked down with reflexes I didn't know I had and ran out of the room, hearing a shriek as I slammed the door shut behind me.


I went straight the door with the symbol on it without looking back. The screams I had heard in the area for years were louder than ever, but I didn't care since I wanted to get as far away from the knife-wielding vampire as I could. The door was closed, but I opened it with little troubled and went on in. It took about five seconds to learn what the screams were coming from as I looked around the room. Countless ethereal wisps floated about, bouncing against any wall they came in contact with along with the doorway behind me before I closed the door. Many of them gave out a loud moan, though I didn't know what they were until I saw a few of them take forms similar to the boy I'd met upstairs and knew they were ghosts. There were a couple of orcs and one elf, but most of them were humans. All of them wore outfits from different eras ranging from a few hundred years up to the present. I was surprised to see the ghosts bounce against the edges of the room since everything I'd ever read said they could pass through things, and the few I thought I'd encountered in the past did as well. Given the strange feeling I had when I entered the room, I knew something was odd about it. Some of the ghosts looked at me, but none of them went near me except for a woman and a young girl wearing clothes from the same era as the first ghost I met in the mansion.

"Look, Mom! Someone new's come, and close to my age!" the girl exclaimed as she pointed at me.

"I don't think so, dear." The woman replied. "At least not yet. See how he moves around freely?"

"Oh." The girl sighed. "He's living."

I nodded. "Yes, and I hope to remain so for some time yet."

"Then you shouldn't have come here." The woman lamented. "Though you're the first living human I've seen in decades."

"Am I now?" I asked. She nodded. "I see. What is going on here?"

"Much, child."

"I can tell from all of the ghosts." I observed as I pointed to some of the wisps trying to go through the walls and door in vain. Between all of you and the owners from what I know of them, I think I can guess what's going on. The screams heard throughout the area come from here, but the ones responsible for the disappearances is a vampire family headed by this Madame Octavia Kosenka. Am I correct in assuming all of their victims end up here?"

"Yes." The woman replied. "The vampires drag us down here and kill us in a room behind us, though you won't find the entrance anywhere. Most of us become ghosts and end up trapped here as we're floating around in an attempt to leave."

"Sounds like the placement of this room is deliberate." I said. "Though why can't any of you leave?"

"Madame Kosenka has limited magic capabilities." She replied. "She apparently put a spell on this room long ago to ensure none of her victims could escape in life or death."

I already knew a bit about magic at the time from a few visits to elf lands and knew its use could lead to trouble. If luck hadn't been on my side, I would've been in the room already as a ghost. Nothing more than another of this family's countless victims, and there was still a chance of becoming once since it wasn't daylight yet. "So the symbol on the door is probably part of the spell. What a vile woman!"

"Yes. Though everyone else living here isn't any better." The woman wailed.

"Even the servant?" I asked, thinking of the ways Harold had helped me so far.

"The old vampire? He's about as bad as Kosenka herself."

"An old guy?" I asked. "I haven't seen one. The only servant I've met is a young guy."

"Weird." She began. "I don't know of any other servants."

"Interesting." I noticed the stake was still in my hand and put it in my pocket. "Anyway, I heard Kosenka has four children."

"She does." The ghost noted. "Two daughters and two sons."

"Ah. I've already encountered both daughters and somehow escaped, but I haven't come across either of the sons or Kosenka herself. Where are they?"

"Consider yourself lucky to still be alive after encountering the daughters, kid." The ghost began. "I don't know where her sons are and only saw one of them when I came here years ago. I remember he said something about Kosenka spending most of her time in the cellar before dinner. You'll find her there if her habits haven't changed, but why do you ask?"

I felt the stake in my pocket. "I think I want to kill them."

"Abandon such a foolish idea!" She shouted in a stern voice. "Many have tried. You'll meet a few experienced hunters if you look around here long enough." She glanced out a window. "Though since the night's almost over, you might have a chance. If you can last until sunrise, you should stand a chance."

The ghost of an old man snorted. "Please. Those monsters are strong even during the day! I was a renowned vampire hunter in my day, and Madame Kosenka was too much even for me."

"What about at night?" I asked.

"Are you daft, boy?!" the old man shouted. "Nobody in their right minds would hunt a vampire at night since they're invincible then!"

"Oh? Makes sense, though I didn't know." I replied.

"You'd do well not to forget it." He yelled.

"I will. Then I'll wait awhile and head for the cellar."

"You'd need a key to in." The ghost woman observed.

"A key?" her daughter asked. "Like the one over there?" Her transparent finger pointed to a small metal object on the ground. I ran over and picked it up.

"It's a key, alright." I said, flipping it over before holding it up. "Is this the key you were referring to?"

The woman floated up to me and stared at the key. "I think so, but what's it doing here?"

"I'm wondering the same thing." I admitted.

"I saw someone come in here earlier and they key fell out of his pocket when he left." The girl explained.

"Who, dear?" the woman asked.

The girl shrugged. "Don't know. I never saw him before."

"Hmmm. It wasn't a black-haired boy by any chance, was it?" I asked.

She glared at me. "Yes. Yes it was. Why do you ask?"

"He's the servant I mentioned earlier." I said. "From what I gather, he's new."

"Which explains the carelessness and why we never saw him." The woman remarked. "Though I don't know why they'd need another servant in the first place, or why you've never encountered the old man."

"I'll figure it out." I began, looking at the ghosts as I pocketed the key. "With luck, I can take care of those vampires in the morning. But will you be free afterward?"

The old man nodded. "We should be. As a general rule, no spell lasts for long after the caster dies. I hope you succeed kid, but forgive me if I have my doubts."

"At least you'll be with us if you fail." The girl laughed.

Her mother glared at her. "Not funny!"

"Maybe a little, but I have to agree for the most part. Let's hope I never come back here." As I prepared to leave, I thought about the similarities between their outfits and the boy I met upstairs. While I knew there had to be countless people from their era down there, the woman had a slight resemblance to the boy which I couldn't ignore. "Did you have second child by any chance, ma'am?" I asked.

She nodded. "My daughter here along with a son. I came here with both of them, though I've never seen my son since and I don't know what happened to him. Why do you ask?"

Her daughter looked at her. "Mom, you don't think he saw him, do you?"

"Maybe. Is that why you asked?" I nodded and gave her a description of the boy. Both of them gasped. "You saw him, alright. But why is he up there and not here?"

"It might be the room he was in." The girl remarked. "Remember. We had already been separated from him when Madame Kosenka and three of her children dragged us down and killed us."

"True." The woman noted. "I remember they went looking for him later and came back both empty handed and furious. Maybe the bedroom upstairs is a counterpart to this one, though it makes little difference we can't meet with him as long as Kosenka lives." She looked at me. "Thank you for telling me this. While I am saddened to hear he didn't make it either since I always thought he had a chance to get away, I'm glad to know his whereabouts."

"Yeah." The girl sighed. "We thought he'd escaped, alive or dead. I guess not."

"Then I'll be sure to succeed so you can see him. Being separated for decades is long enough." I said as I put my hand on the doorknob.

"Good luck, young man." The woman paused before continuing. "If my sight isn't mistaken, you're a child of House Renaud, aren't you?"

I paused and glanced back. "Yes I am. Why? Did you know some of my relatives? Then again, my family predates most surviving records."

The girl grinned. "Oh yes. My best friend was Reginald Renaud."

"Reginald? Are you serious?!" I shouted.

She giggled. "Yep. Sounds like you know of him."

"I'd better!" I shouted. "I'm his grandson, Colin Renaud."

She floated around me for a moment. "Yes. The hair's different, not to mention those partial elf ears, but you resemble him. So it really has been decades!"

"I'm not surprised." Her mother remarked. "Though it's hard to keep track of time down here."

"True." She sighed as she focused her gaze on me. "Judging from your responses, I'm guessing he's still alive?"

"Oh yes." I replied with certainty since I'd seen him about a week earlier.

She smirked. "Then we'll pay him a visit if we ever get out of here."

"But you can't as long as Kosenka lives." Her mother pointed out as they started floating away. "So please get rid of her before more lives are claimed, including your own."

"Throw in those children of hers for good measure!" the girl shouted.

"I'll do my best. See you later, one way or another." I said before opening the door and heading out, watching a few more ghosts bounce off of the open frame before closing it.


I didn't see any other doors down there outside of the one I hadn't gone through yet and I had no desire to go near the weapons room, so I headed for the cellar. I took the key out of my pocket and opened the door, looking down at a long set of old wooden stairs. I walked down as slow as I could to avoid drawing any unneeded attention to myself, and I had just gotten off of the last step when I heard some footsteps coming down the stairs above me. I spotted some boxes on the other side of the small room I found myself in and ran behind them, getting a good view of the stairs while a figure walked down who I recognized as Harold. He glanced at the stack of boxes I was hiding behind and waved his hand about for a moment, stopping as a woman walked up to him from an opening across from the stairs.

"The Renaud boy should be in our clutches by now, Harold. What's holding things up?!" the woman shouted. I got a better look at her as she walked by the boxes. She was a tall imposing woman with black hair going past her shoulders, pale skin, green eyes, and wearing a long red evening dress. She was the splitting image of the girl in the weapons room, or rather the other way around, with the exception of the eyes. I knew this had to be Madame Kosenka. "Anything to say for yourself?" she asked as she towered over Harold.

"My apologies, my lady." Harold stammered as he gave a light bow. "The boy's in the house, but he's hard to pin down since he's moving about all over the place. He's already had a run-in with Amelia and I'm guessing he'd escaped from Felicity as well given her anger when I ran into her a few minutes ago."

"Search harder!" Madame Kosenka shouted. "If indeed he ran into Felicity, it means he's down here somewhere. Search the entire floor, and I don't want you in my sight until he's in my clutches. I've planned this out too well to let him slip from my grasp now. If I haven't had my sampling of Renaud blood by the time the sun rises, a taste I've been longing to have again for centuries, I'll have your head and blood."

"A...as you wish, Madame Kosenka." Harold stammered. "Your taste for the blood of other vampires is well-known even in my home country. I will not disappoint you."

"You'd better not. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find good servants?! I don't want to go through that hell again so soon. One of my sons came in a little while ago and is waiting in the dining room, so the Renaud boy has no chance of escaping to the upper floors and you should find him soon enough. Try the spirit prison if you must. I hope to see you before morning with our dinner for both of our sakes, and remember to lock the cellar door back up on your way out." She growled as she stormed off. She looked in my direction for a moment and I thought she had me, but she walked on past without saying anything as she went back the way she came. Harold walked over a few minutes later.

"You're cutting it close tonight, Colin. Escaping the grasp of two vampires? You're either skilled or have luck on your side since you escaped from Felicity on your own." He observed as he pulled me out from behind the boxes.

"Felicity. Is she the weapons fanatic?" I asked.

Harold nodded. "I would ask how you got away, but let's save questions for later. Since you're down here, I'm guessing you found the key I dropped?" I held the key up. "Perfect. Then you've seen the spirit prison."

"I have, and even spoke to some of the ghosts." I said. "But why would she want to imprison the ghosts of her victims? The screams draw attention to this place!" I shouted as Harold put a finger to my lips.

"Keep it down!" he whispered. "Any louder and Kosenka can hear you! Anyway, I don't understand her reasons why, but she says she finds the screams of the spirits to be an effective lure. More so than the disappearances."

"Yet both of those combined would keep people out of the area, wouldn't it?" I asked.

"It does, but she claims to have ways of dealing with this." He muttered. "Besides, I think she also keeps the spirits here to avoid drawing attention to herself from others of her kind."

"Why?"

"Did you not overhear what I said about her taste for the blood of other vampires."

"I did." I began as I thought about it. "Oh. I'm guessing other vampires don't like that?"

He shook his head. "Most can't tolerate a vampire draining the blood of another of their kind, but we can discuss the limits of what they accept later." Harold explained as he pointed to a small window. "We have about an hour away from sunrise. If you can stay here and remain quiet until then, go to the next room and approach the central coffin. You'll find Kosenka there."

"And then what?" I asked.

"Kill her, or at least incapacitate her for a bit." He answered. "Do you have a weapon on you?"

"Yes. Yes I do." I reached into my pocket and pulled the stake out.

"Ah. Nothing else?" He asked. I shook my head. "Well, it's a classic part of the hunter's arsenal for a reason. Go down there after sunrise and run it through her. It should hold her down long enough for you to find another weapon and finish her off. Fire or a slash with a bladed weapon should do the trick."

"I'll do what I can." I replied. "But why are you helping me with this? Didn't you say vampires don't take to kindly to one killing another?"

Harold grinned. "Who said I was a vampire?"

"Uh...you're working in a house full of them?" I asked.

Harold laughed. "Point taken, but we can get into this later."

"One more thing." I began. "Why didn't she see me just now?"

"I cast a simple concealment spell on this part of the room."

"You can use magic as well?" I asked. He nodded. "And yet the person who made that spirit prison didn't pick it up?"

"Nope. She doesn't know I can use it since I've learned how to conceal the presence of magic, along with my own use of it, a long time ago." He stated. "Well, good luck, Colin." He went upstairs.

I sat behind the boxes and took out my phone. Though the service was spotty in the cellar, I could at least check the time and update Amisra about my progress. I looked out the window and waited around for a bit. Every now and then I heard a few footsteps run back and forth, though I didn't bother to check and see who they were from. I checked the time once more to see it had been more than an hour, and the sky lightening up outside of the window helped to show it was time. I checked to make sure the stake was in my pocket and went through the opening across from the stairs.


I came across a large room after passing through a hallway and saw five coffins, fitting with the number of vampires living in the house. A large ornate one sat in the center of the room while the other four were placed in a kind of circle around it. The lids to the smaller ones tossed aside in the corner of the room, which concerned me since I'd only encountered two so far and didn't know where the others were. I approached the ornate coffin, knowing it had to be the resting place of Kosenka herself. I slid it open and indeed saw the woman Harold had been talking to a little while ago. Her eyes fluttered open within moments and I found myself frozen in place as Kosenka stared at me and grinned.

"I knew you were still in the house. You must have some skill to evade all of us this long, but I think you might've had some help." She snarled as she rose from the coffin and placed a hand around my neck. "I knew you might come down here as soon as the sun rose, though. All of you hunters are so predictable! What a fool to waltz right into a vampire's layer. I never thought a Renaud would be so foolish, but I won't deny such delicious blood when it's in my grasp. Though I respect your family enough to let you into one of us! What do you say, child of Renaud?" As she brought my neck down and flashed her fangs before attempting to sink them into it, the idea of becoming something like her must've gotten to me and while I couldn't get away, I found I could still move my arms a bit and took the stake out of my pocket. I stabbed the Kosenka in the heart right as I felt her fangs touch my neck, forcing her to drop me. She clutched her chest below the stake and glared at me. "Not bad, boy, but it takes more than this to kill me. I've been meaning to get back at your family for ages, but I'll rescind my offer to make you a vampire and just kill you. There's nothing more dangerous than a hunter who's also a vampire!" She stumbled toward me, stake still in her heart, as she took a knife out of her dress and ran at me with such speed to put her daughters to shame.

"We'll see, monster!" I shouted as I tried to wrestle the knife from her.

"Monster?" Kosenka smirked. "I'm not the one who entered a place you locals tend to avoid because of a request for your club!"

I was stunned for a moment and wondered how she knew about the club, but the matter could wait. "And I'm not the one who set up an elaborate trap to lure people in and craft a spirit prison!" I shouted.

"Fair point. Been in it have you? I always thought it was my greatest accomplishment. Took a long time to get right, too. You're sure to appreciate it too since you'll soon be stuck there for eternity!" she shouted.

I fought back stronger than ever and before I knew it, I pulled the knife from her grip and slashed her across the neck before she had a chance to react.

Kosenka glared at me. "What?! How--" She gave a piercing shriek and I looked away as the woman crumbled into dust, leaving only the dress and the stake. I retrieved the stake as Harold came down the stairs. He looked at the pile of dust and smirked.

"You did a better job than I thought you would, Colin." He praised as he walked up to me. "Here I thought I was running a little slow, yet you did it without my help."

"Really?" I asked.

Harold nodded while pointing to the dust. "Kosenka will never kill anyone again."

I gulped. "You mean I did it? I killed her?"

"Yes." Harold began. "And good riddance. You have no idea how vile she was, both in life and death."

"How bad are we talking?" I asked.

"Just go through your family's records and you'll find the answer." Harold took a knife out of his pocket and handed it to me. "You'll need this. There are still four more vampires here and they'll be after you when they learn you killed their mother. I'd recommend using two weapons to deal with vampires, along with disposing of Kosenka's knife once you leave. You don't want anything of hers. Trust me."

"I guess I will on this matter." I said as I put both knives in my pocket for the time being. "Though what's the deal? Why were you helping me all evening? Wasn't she your boss?"

Harold laughed. "I was employed by her, but I never viewed her as my boss. I'm a hunter of sorts who's spent a long time searching for Kosenka. I only found her by chance since there was an opening when her last servant died. I've been waiting for the right time to finish her off, and then you came."

"The old guy some of the spirits mentioned?" I asked. Harold nodded. "What happened to him? Vampires can't die of natural causes, can they?"

Harold shook his head. "They don't, Colin. The last servant got careless and went for a bad target. I'll say no more right now."

"I see." I wondered if Harold had anything to do with it, though I decided against asking about it. "Though what did my coming here have to do with the right opportunity, and how did she know I was coming? She even knew about my school club!"

"This involved all but catching her in the act." Harold said. "Though I don't know how she knew of your arrival or even about any club unless someone told her. She was a skilled sorceress both in life and death, but clairvoyance was never one of her skills."

"Uh...more magic with all of this stuff?" I asked.

"Yeah. It kinda comes with the territory. A boy of elf descent should be well aware of the existence of magic."

"You have a point." I remarked. "Anyway, shouldn't we get out of here?"

"Yes we should." Harold led me to the open area and approached the stairs only to find three figures blocking the way. I recognized two of them as Amelia and Felicity, and I assumed the third was one of Kosenka's sons.

"And just where do you think you're going?!" the son asked. I could see he looked older than either of the girls.

Felicity was holding a mace and ready to use it on whoever passed by. "You didn't think you'd be able to leave, did you? After one of you hunters finally did it?!"

"Why?!" Amelia shouted. "Why kill her?!"

"Do you want a list of what she did?" Harold asked. "Then again, you are almost as bad as she was if not worse, Amelia. Though come to think of it, you three have been awfully quiet tonight. And where's your other brother at?"

"None of your business, traitor!" Felicity shouted. "Now hand over the Renaud boy and we'll forget about your transgressions tonight."

"Why?" Harold asked. "I don't have all the details yet, but it's clear someone lured Colin here with the intention of killing him. He's only acted in self defense. Then there's you and Amelia trying to kill him."

"So what?!" Felicity shouted. "He came into our areas!"

"Yet, at least as far as the late Madame Kosenka told me, neither area belonged to you. The hallway is fair game for any guest of the house." Harold said.

"Enough of this!" the boy shouted. "Just hand the boy over and we'll only kill him. Otherwise we'll kill both of you."

"What?!" I shouted. "How in the world is that a fair trade to me?!"

"It isn't." Harold glared at them. "I refuse. Why don't you let him go and then you can deal with me?"

"Two reasons." The boy barked. "One, because there's three of us and two of you. One and a half if you count the boy. Two, he's the one who killed our mother."

"One and a half, huh?" I asked. "I don't even count?"

"Nope." The younger girl grinned. "You're just dinner. A late night dinner for us given the time, but dinner nonetheless."

I stared at her, filled with rage upon hearing those words. "What?! Go to hell! The lot of you!"

"Nah. I prefer it up here, thank you. You, on the other hand, will only wish you can go there since you'll be trapped in the spirit prison forever!" she shouted as they charged at us.

"This doesn't look good." I gulped, looking at Harold as we backed up.

"I'll say." Harold gulped. "I can take on one vampire just fine, but three with you here? Not so much." Harold replied.

"Sounds good to us. Nowhere to run." THe boy smirked as they closed in on us.

With nowhere to go and nothing to lose, I swung both the stake and Harold's knife at the advancing trio. The stake hit the boy and I slashed him across the neck. He recoiled a bit, though the wound healed and he pulled the stake out with some effort. He laughed as he tossed the stake onto the ground and crushed it with his foot.

"Your were close, but your aim with the stake was a little off. Just another inch and you would've killed me." He grinned. "You'd become a great threat to us in time, but we don't have to worry since you won't get out of here alive or even dead!"

Harold looked between the window on the side of the room and the stairs as we were backed up against the wall. "Colin, I have an idea to get you out of here."

I glanced around the room. "Really? Because I don't see it."

"You'll have to trust me on this." He said. "Though once I get you out, I want you to lock the door."

"What?! Then you'll be trapped with them! How would you even get out?!" I shouted as the trio of vampires closed in on us.

"I'll manage. I've gotten out of tougher spots. Besides, with the sun up, they're considerably weaker than they would be otherwise." Harold replied. "When you leave, you'll find a slip of paper around the hilt of my knife. Go to the address written and you'll find me."

I hesitated. "Providing you survive."

"Yes, but go there either way. Now get out of here!" he shouted.

He then grabbed me by the arm with one hand while taking a stake out of an inside pocket with the other. He tossed me through the air before I knew what was going on and I landed on the stairs behind the vampires. The sound of a sword being drawn was heard as I ran for the cellar door and I heard Harold say, "Though it's more than any of you three deserve, I'll give each of you one chance. If you don't attack me or the heir of House Renaud, you'll leave unharmed. Consider your undead lives forfeit if you attack either of us. This is your only warning."

I didn't see what happened since I ran through the cellar door and closed it as fast as I could. As I turned the key in the lock, I heard a window break as I ran upstairs and wondered if one of the vampires escaped to cause problems later, but I banished the thought from my mind since leaving the mansion was a more pressing matter.


One thought among many unsettled me as I ran for the front hallway. Everyone I'd only met three of Kosenka's children and there was no sign of the last one. This unnerved me since it meant this wasn't over yet. I couldn't have been happier when the front door came into my view, but my heart fell when I saw a figure standing in front of the door with his arms crossed.

"Unbelievable. My mother slain and most of my family soon to follow. What are you, boy?!" the figure shouted. I couldn't believe the voice I was hearing since it was the same one who gave the club the idea to visit the mansion. I saw the glint of a medallion as I got closer and knew it was James.

"YOU!!" I shouted. "You're one of them?!"

"Of course." James said as he bowed. "I'm James Kosenka, youngest son of Octavia Kosenka. My scheme was perfect! Infiltrate the local school and convince a bunch of occult nuts to come here, including a descendant of my mother's enemies from life. It should've been easy pickings once I found out your school has a whole club dedicated to this!"

"Why go through such lengths now?" I asked.

"Because we were running out of fresh blood. A combination of few people coming by this way anymore along with the unexpected death of our last servant, our main hunter. We hired Harold when he sought us out, though he wasn't doing so great with the hunting at first. While my mother was willing to give him time, we still needed blood in the meantime. So she sent me to the local school to lure people here." he shouted as he approached.

I stood there, flabbergasted by what I just heard and making a mental note to never take suggestions to investigate places from new club members ever again. "Your plan was a clever one." I said as I looked James in the eye. "Your sisters almost had me a couple of times tonight, or this morning."

James smiled. "Yes. It almost worked. If only neither of you were hunters!"

"Hey. I'm not the hunter. Harold is!" I replied.

"Yet from what I heard at the stairs, weren't you the one who killed our mother?" James asked as he stepped toward me. "Even if you were lucky, I can't let you live. Whether the servant lives or not is irrelevant to me, but you're just a human for the most part and I'm stronger than you, even in the daytime!" he shouted. He grabbed my neck and pinned me against the front door as he flashed his fangs. I took Kosenka's knife out of my pocket and plunged it into my opponent's heart before I knew what I was doing. James glared at me as he recoiled, clutching the knife. "How could a human, even one of elf descent, be so lucky twice in a row?!" he shouted. "Do you think this'll be over even if you kill me, though?" James asked as I approached him with Harold's knife drawn. "Many are loyal to my family and will catch wind of this. You'd better hope you never find yourself outside and alone at night, for--"

I had enough and slashed him across the neck, took a few steps back, and watched as James crumbled into dust. I caught my breath for a moment before picking up James's medallion since nothing else remained of him save for his clothes. I slammed the blade of Kosenka's knife against the door, shattering it and tossing the hilt on the ground before opening the door and running out as fast as my legs could carry me. I was finally free of the mansion. The dust near the door was blown past me as I ran down the path and went around to the side of the building, noticing a cracked window and guessing it was the one for the cellar. I thought I could see a bat flying off in the distance, guessing it was the vampire who'd broken the window. I heard two screams and then another bat flew out of the crack in the window, going in the opposite direction of the first bat. Both were long gone when the sun emerged in its entirety over the horizon. Now I knew for sure it meant either one or two vampires escaped, depending on if one of them was Harold. I took a few steps away and saw numerous spirits emerge from the walls and roof near one of the windows, fading away once they got a certain distance from the mansion. No doubt they were freed from their prison as a result of Lady Kosenka's death. "Rest well, everyone." I said, watching some of the last few fade away before running toward the sidewalk just outside of Kosenka's property. I started walking in the direction of the house the club was using, anxious to update them on what happened in the house since it had been hours since I'd last sent updates to them. I sent a message to Amisra, telling her I'd escaped from the house and had quite a story to tell them soon. Three spirits floated toward me not five seconds after I put my phone away and I saw it was the woman and her family.

The girl giggled as they hovered above me. "Thought you could leave without saying goodbye? Good luck. We never got the chance to thank you for reuniting our family."

"Indeed." The woman said. "We were free from the prison when Kosenka died and ran into my son on the way out."

"Yes. I must thank for for dealing with those monsters." The boy said. "Should've known you were a Renaud."

"You're too kind." I said. "I killed Kosenka and one of her sons, but only through luck. The servant Harold did most of the killing."

"Then we must thank him the next time our paths cross." The woman said. "Still, don't underestimate your part in all of this."

"I guess you're right." I replied. "Anyway, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why are you still here? Shouldn't you have moved on with the rest of the spirits?"

"You'd think so, but the vampires weren't the only things binding us to this world." The boy said.

"Oh? What else could be keeping you here?" I asked.

The mother sighed. "I'd rather not say since it's a long and boring story, but I'll say this. Our spirits would've been bound to this world with or without Kosenka."

"Ah. I think I understand." I said. "You're most welcome for all the help, uh..." I blushed a bit in embarrassment. "I just realized I never caught your names."

"You're quite right, Colin." The woman said, chuckling a bit. "I'm Janet Hill, and my kids are Anthony and Leslie."

I stood there in silence for a moment as I looked at all of them in amazement, Leslie in particular. "So you're Leslie Hill!" I exclaimed. "My grandfather's always spoken highly of you to both my father and me."

"Really?" Leslie asked. "Reginald still remembers me this many years later after getting married and having a family?"

I nodded. "Oh yes. In fact, he used a decent chunk of the family's fortune to find out what happened to you after he became the head of the family. Never found anything, though he did have to leave the area for decades."

The ghost girl gasped. "He went through such lengths for me?"

"Are you surprised?" Janet asked. "You two were quite close. In fact, if things went down a different path, you might've been this boy's--"

"Hush, mom!" Leslie blushed as she looked at her. "But you're right." She looked back at me. "Think Reginald will mind if a few ghosts haunt his place?"

I chuckled. "I doubt it. "If his stories are to be believed, this wouldn't be his first experience with ghosts. He lives in the old Renaud property on the border of Leilem."

"Leilem?" Janet asked. "It was an elf city in our time. Since when were humans allowed anywhere close to it?"

"They've been more open to humans for awhile. Something about all of the hybrids across the planet." I said. "Besides, the house has been in Renaud hands long before Leilem was founded. Grandpa Reginald befriending many elves helped."

"Hence your existence?" Leslie asked.

"Yeah." I said.

"Interesting." Anthony said. "Then we'd better make our way over there since we have quite a journey ahead of us."

"To say the least." Leslie said. "I guess we'll see you around, Colin. Do you visit Reginald often?"

I nodded. "I usually see him a few times a month."

"Then we'll see you soon." Janet said. "Farewell for now, Colin Renaud. And thank you."

They floated away into the distance and soon disappeared from sight. I started heading toward the meeting place and when I was only a few blocks away, I remembered the knife in my pocket and Harold's request to visit him. I took it out and examined it, remembering what he'd said about a slip of paper with an address on it. I looked at hilt and sure enough, a piece a paper was wrapped around it. I slid it off and unfolded it, finding a message which read,

If found, please return to 525 West Starfield Way.

I had to pass Starfield Way to get to the meet place anyway, so I made a detour down it once I got there. Starfield Way was an older part of the area and only a little younger than the mansion and it showed. Most of the houses reflected its age with most of them resembling something one would see in vintage books and artwork, though in a good way.

"525, right?" I muttered to myself as I looked at the numbers on each of the houses. "529, 527...ah. Here we are." I found myself standing across the street from one of the oldest houses on Starfield Way. In fact, I'd say it was a few decades younger than the mansion at most, though not as big. I'd had enough of old houses for one day, but I had to return the knife to its owner. I spotted an older man leaving the house and getting into a car, the newest thing I'd seen in hours. I assumed the man was a relative of Harold or something, but I wouldn't learn who he was for some time. I waited until the man had driven off and was far enough away before running across the street and up the path to the front door. I half considered ringing the doorbell, dropping the knife off, and leaving, but I couldn't after all I'd been through and above all, I wanted to know if Harold had gotten out of the house. So I rang the doorbell and waited for about a minute before it opened. Standing before me was a girl the same age as Harold and wearing a dress which made Kosenka's look modern in comparison. She stared and I could feel her gaze burrowing into me.

"Good morning, sir." She said with a polite tone. "How can I help you?"

"I'm looking for someone named Harold. Does he live here?" I asked.

"Harold?" The girl asked, looking puzzled. "I don't know any--" she paused as she spotted the knife in my hand. "Ah. I understand. I'll get him." She ran off, muttering something about wanting to be informed of different names and left the door open. I noticed a strange tattoo in the shape of a dragon on the back of her leg as she disappeared down a hallway, but thought nothing of it at the time.

Harold appeared in the doorway a few minutes later. "Good morning, Colin. I see you found your way here just fine. Please forgive my sister. She's been known to scare people off."

I chuckled. "Don't worry. What would scare me after everything we've been through?"

"True, though there are times when she's scarier than Kosenka. Anyway, I was a little concerned since I didn't run into Kosenka's second son all evening and sensed him upstairs after you'd left, though I couldn't sense him at all a few minutes later." Harold said. "I trust you got him, then?"

I nodded as I held the medallion up and told Harold about my encounter with James and everything he'd done.

Harold grimaced. "I wondered how Kosenka knew you were coming! Going to a a school with the intent of luring a few students into your lair and finding an occult club there? I can't think of a better opportunity! James's plan was ingenious and something I need to keep in mind for future incidents, though you must have some skill to slay a vampire like him and survive." He smiled. "You do indeed have promise as I suspected."

"Pardon. Promise?" I asked.

"Promise in both the monster hunting trade and magic." Harold replied.

"Do you expect me to want to deal with those again after tonight?!" I shouted.

"Not right away, but in time. Besides, haven't you always had a strong sense for this stuff, at least according to Reginald?"

"You know my grandfather?" I asked.

"Oh yes. We've been friends for a long time, and he's told me much about you and your strong sense for the supernatural." Harold said. "After what I've seen, your senses are indeed as good as he says. Why don't you become my student in the trade? This is quite a rare offer."

I thought about some of my near scrapes with death throughout the evening, some of my fast movements in particular. "You may have a point since I've had a sense for strange things all my life, but I don't want to get involved with this any more than I like. I'm just here to return the knife."

"Ah. I was going to accept its return, but it's better for you to keep it for the time being." Harold said. "You need some way to defend yourself since one of Kosenka's daughters, along with people loyal to their family, may hunt you down."

I thought the matter over. "Maybe, but I could just as easily get another knife and a stake for such incidents."

"You could, but my knife will last longer than most you'll find." Harold said. "Keep it for now."

I sighed and put the knife away. "Thanks, but how do you know it was one of Kosenka's daughters who escaped?"

"Simple. Her elder son was the first one I killed down there and you killed the other. I got one of the daughters since she attacked me, but I'm sure you heard the other break the window and fly off. I didn't get a good look at who it was." He said.

"Oh." I gulped. "I'd rather not meet either of them again. Both Felicity and Amelia seemed dangerous."

"Indeed, but I doubt you'll face the survivor for awhile. She's far from here by now, and I doubt she'll ever return to this area." Harold said. "Though be on your guard, and consider my offer. If you ever change your mind, talk to your grandfather and he'll contact me."

"Or I could come here." I said.

"You could, but this is only a temporary residence for me. With my task done, I'll be heading somewhere else soon." He replied.

"Where?" I asked.

"I don't know yet, but I have a few options." Harold said.

"Then I'll keep this in mind." I said as I started to leave. "By the way, what's your real name? Given your sister's reaction when I mentioned your name, I'm sure Harold isn't it. While we're at it, what are you?"

"You're an observant child, Colin Renaud." Harold said. "I can't give you my true name, but I can give you a name your grandfather will know at once. Scalas."

I paused. "Scalas? I've heard that name in some of the records for my club! Something about a great monster hunter."

"I'm not surprised you've heard of some of my exploits." He said, chuckling. "Though for now, run along and enjoy the day. Next time we meet, and I know our paths will cross again, I might tell you more. Take care, Colin."

"I will. It was a pleasure to meet you." I said as I left, having a hard time believing what I'd just heard and who he was.


I ran to the meeting place and ran into Amisra on the front steps of the house.

"Someone's in an awful hurry, Colin." She remarked.

"You would be too after the night I've had!" I shouted.

"Judging from your updates, the message you just sent, and the lack of updates for awhile, it sounds like you have something to share." Amisra smirked.

"I sure do."

"Something supernatural judging by your updates?"

"Oh yes." I said. "Though it'd be best if the whole club heard this."

"Then it's a good thing pretty much the entire club is here." She said.

"Ah. Did some come after I left?" I asked as we went into the house.

Amisra nodded. "Though James left a little before dawn. Don't know where he got to, though."

"Uh...I'll tell you once everyone's assembled." I said.

"Oh. Did something happen?" she asked. I nodded. "Well, let's have a nice breakfast and then you can tell us all about it."

"Sounds good to me." I said. After the events in the mansion, a nice breakfast was more than welcome. Breakfast started about an hour later and all of the permanent club members trickled in as they got up, not counting one or two who always got up early. It was a nice breakfast too, consisting of a fine omelet and some toast.

"I think we're in for quite a story." Amisra said once everything had been cleared away. "Are you ready to share, Colin?"

I nodded. "Now's as good a time as any."

"Shouldn't we wait for the new guy?" Arlo asked.

"Don't bother. We'll to see him again." I said as I took the medallion out of my pocket and tossed it on the table. They gasped as Amisra picked it up.

"This is the medallion James always wore!" she shouted. "How did you get it?"

"Allow me to explain." I said as I told them everything about my ordeal in the mansion, leaving out my meeting with the Hill family along with Harold/Scalas. Everyone stood there speechless, save for Amisra who swore under her breath in the language of our clan of elves. Nobody understood what she said except for me, but they got the gist.

"Not only were vampires living in the mansion along with the imprisoned ghosts of their victims, but it was the layer of one of the worst?!" Amisra shouted. "Octavia Kosenka and her children. If I'd known the house was her layer, I would've just told you to come by one morning and burn the place down! Worst thing is, I should've recognized James at once! I knew the Kosenkas when they were still human since they were the nobles in charge of a town close to mine, and they were a bad lot then! Octavia Kosenka went to extreme lengths to turn her entire family into those monsters." She sighed as she sat back.

"I must admit, James's plan to lure us to our deaths was brilliant." Ruth said. "I'm sure he would've come here to kill us once they were done with Colin."

"I'm certain he would have." I said.

Arlo shook his head. "I can't believe I recommended him!" he groaned. "Sounds like his family was quite a nasty one."

"They were." I said. "Otherwise I doubt the servant would've gone through such lengths for this."

"As bad as getting lured in like this is, what kind of supernatural club are we if we can't notice a vampire right in front of us?" Ruth whined.

"Don't worry, Ruth." Amisra said. "Vampires are difficult to spot since they look the same as they did in life. There are a few signs, but even those can be hidden by a skilled one. Believe me when I say the Kosenkas would've been skilled, but at least the lot of them are dead now."

"Yeah. I guess you're right." Ruth sighed.

"But what about the one who escaped?" I asked.

"We'll cross that bridge sooner or later, but I doubt she'll show her face around here ever again." Amisra said. "No vampire ever stays in a layer once it's exposed."

"There is a bright side to this, though." Arlo said. "This was our first genuine encounter with the supernatural, wasn't it?"

"You have a point, Arlo." One of the other members said. "Though we can hope our next encounter doesn't lead to a death trap."

"Don't worry. From now on, I'll personally meet every potential new member before they can set foot in the club room." Amisra said.

"Good idea." Ruth said. "To be honest, I'm surprised I've never heard of anything like this before, even in police reports."

"So am I." Amisra said. "Tricking a local occult club to investigate a monster's layer sounds like it should be a common occurrence."

"You'd think so." Ruth sighed. "Though we should probably contact some of the other clubs we know and tell them about it, lest they fall for similar traps."

Amisra nodded. "Good idea, Ruth. I was going to talk to the heads of some other occult clubs later today, so I'll bring this up then."

"Yeah." I said. "This is something to keep in mind."

We talked about some local incidents for a few hours, though most of the club members started to leave around lunchtime. I figured it would be a good idea myself and prepared to leave, but Amisra put a hand on my arm. "Colin, can you stay for a few more minutes?"

"I guess I can." I said as I sat down across from her. "What is it?"

"Two things stuck out to me in your report. One is this new servant the Kosenkas, and you didn't say anything about what happened after you left the mansion. I know something happened then." She said.

"You do?" I asked.

Amisra nodded. "For one, there was some time between your message saying you'd escaped and your arrival here."

"Ah. I should've thought of that." I sighed as I told her about my conversation with the ghosts of the Hill family.

"I always wondered what happened to them. Especially when Reginald's searches went nowhere." Amisra said.

"You knew them as well, Amisra?" I asked.

"A bit." She said. Our family's always been close to the Renauds, and the Hills were close to Reginald. There was bound to be some overlap, and I'm sure he'll be overjoyed to see them even as ghosts."

"So am I." I said.

"But onto the next thing left out of the report." Amisra said. "What else happened after you left the mansion?" I told her about my visit with Harold and how he told me to mention the name Scalas to my grandfather later. She smirked. "So this Harold was Scalas? I should've figured you'd cross paths with him sooner or later."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because he's been friends with your family long before I was born. Mine as well since my father knew him as a boy." Amisra said.

I glared at her. "When--wouldn't that have been over five hundred years ago?!"

"Give or take." She said. "I can't say much about Scalas, but I can tell you this. He's a monster hunter so skilled to the point where most supernatural creatures avoid him. Even the late Octavia Kosenka would've kept her distance if she'd known who 'Harold' was."

"He's a good hunter, then?"

"More than. It sounds like he has you under his protection, so most should leave you alone as well." Amisra said.

"What about his offer?"

Amisra hesitated for a moment. "I wouldn't encourage becoming his student since the life of a monster hunter is a dangerous one, but he was right when he said it's a rare offer. I remember a rich elf lord once asked Scalas to train his kids in magic, even offering quite a large sum, but Scalas turned him down since he didn't think the elf's kids were skilled enough. Turns out he was right." She laughed.

"He must be good, then." I said. "Though since I've killed two members of the Kosenka family and one remains, will I have much of a choice?"

Amisra shook her head. "I doubt you'll have much of a choice, Colin. Not if you want to survive. Knowing how he works, he'll make contact within a year at most. When he does, contact me."

"You bet I will!"

"Perfect." Amisra said. "After all, you and I are part of the same clan. Oh. And one last thing. Next time you meet, he might not use the name Harold or Scalas."

We chatted for a little longer, but it was soon time for me to return home. I thought about Scalas's offer and considered taking it if another incident arose, such as running into Kosenka's remaining child.


Things got a little crazy in the area for a few weeks. When many of the locals, including my family, realized no screams had been heard from the mansion for several days, the local police investigated the house to see if they could see what was going on in the place this time. While the vampires themselves were nowhere to be seen since most of them were dust and one was far away, they uncovered quite a bit during their investigation. A passage was found under a trapdoor in the cellar and another was found in the front hallway where I had encountered Amelia. It turned out both were entrances to a hidden room. The police discovered the bodies of people who'd disappeared in recent weeks, a guest list going back centuries, and a furnace used to dispose of the bodies once the Kosenkas got all the blood they could.

The official report said the mansion was inhabited by a family of serial killers who liked to lure people there to their deaths, which wasn't far off from the truth. I was questioned since they found my name on a board in the room of potential future visitors. I told them a modified version of my experience which left out Harold along with anything supernatural, though it included how James had infiltrated the club to lure me there and planned to kill the rest of the club later. They determined I was acting in self defense and my visit wasn't considered trespassing since James lived in the house and was the one who gave the club the idea to investigate, counting it as an invitation. They didn't bother me about the matter again.

My family moved about a month later, long story and unrelated to the supernatural, and moved to a house a few blocks away from my grandfather's which was still on Renaud land. The ghosts of the Hill family did indeed pay him a visit and he lets them move about on any land owned by the Renaud family, giving them quite a few places to haunt since my family owns land and buildings all over the planet, acquired over the course of centuries. As a result, I see them a few times a week.

I still keep in contact with my old club members, Amisra in particular since she's a relative. According to them, the mansion was put on the market a few weeks after I moved and was bought by a local millionaire who had an interest in the occult happened to be a relative of one of one of the vampire family's victims. I assumed Kosenka's remaining daughter was the one responsible to the sale, but it made no difference to me since I wanted nothing more to do with the place.

A few events of note occurred between then and the time I accepted Harold/Scalas's offer to become his student, though he'd taken the name Scarlon by then. I might share those stories at some point, though not anytime soon.

0