A Stay at Jorgith Castle
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I arrived in the living room of Welgorlinz Manor early one afternoon and found Scarlon at his desk, a tablet and laptop positioned around him. Scarlon motioned for me to sit down as he kept his focus on the screens before him.

“Good day, Mr. Jolg.” He began. “I got your message this morning about your interest in one of my properties in Yargon.”

“Excellent, sir.” A man’s voice replied through the laptop’s speakers. “I’m looking to purchase one of the vintage manors listed on your site.”

Scarlon tapped the tablet screen a couple of times. “Which manor house in particular, Mr. Jolg? I have a few listings in Yargon.”

“The one in the village near the castle.”

“Giradon House?” Scarlon asked.

“Correct.” Mr. Jolg answered. “Would it be possible to visit the manor, Mr. Demalgo? I prefer seeing properties in person before I decide to purchase them.”

“Of course. I always do the same when possible.” He looked up at me for a moment. “I can get to Yargon in a few days to show you the property.”

“Thank you, Mr. Demalgo.”

“You’re welcome.” Scarlon said. “I’ll send a message later with the meeting location and time.”

“Splendid. I appreciate your swift response.”

“The pleasure’s all mine, Mr. Jolg. See you in a few days.” Scarlon closed the lid of the laptop as he turned to face me. “You’re not often here at this time during the week, Colin. What’s the occasion?”

“School got out early for some staff meetings.” I explained.

He nodded. “Ah. Now it makes sense.”

I pointed to the tablet. “What was that call about?”

“Just a business arrangement.” He answered.

“I gathered. To Yargon from the sound of it.”

Scarlon grinned. “Yep, and you’re accompanying me.”

“I am? Why–” I paused. “Oh. Your client did mention a property by the castle, didn’t he?”

“Yes. Jorgith Castle.” He stated as I gulped. “Investigating that castle has been on the back burner for decades, though it was pushed forward a bit after talking with your friend, Elliot. I figured we’d take full advantage of the chance presented to us.”

“Good point.” I admitted. “What are the odds of a situation like this happening again?”

“Pretty low for the foreseeable future.” Scarlon remarked. “Anyway, I recall the castle was Renaud property at some point since you’re direct descendants of House Jagriv, the family which once ruled there. Can you contact your grandfather and see if it still is? I’m sure he’ll want to know we’re traveling there, in any case.”

“Yeah. I’ll talk to him and get back to you, Scarlon.”

“Why don’t you contact him after today’s lesson?” Scarlon asked as he got up.

“Good idea.” I replied.

“If you want, you can even tell your friend where we’re going.” He said.

“I’ll consider it.”

                                                                                                    

 

I followed Scarlon to the back for a lesson on shield spells, which lasted until late in the afternoon. I grabbed my tablet once the lesson was over late and sat down at one of the tables. After tapping the screen a couple of times, the form of Leslie Hill appeared on it.

“Hey, Colin. It’s been a while.” She pointed out.

I nodded. “Yeah. I’m a little behind on my visits, aren’t I?”

The ghost laughed. “Just a bit.”

“Yeah. Anyway, is my grandfather around?” I asked.

The ghost nodded. “I’ll go get him.”

She floated away and came back a few minutes later with the familiar figure of Grandfather Reginald next to her. He took a seat in front of the screen while Leslie floated all over the room.

“Colin, my lad! To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?” he asked. “You haven’t called me in ages.”

“I need to ask you something, grandfather.”

“Fire away, my boy.”

“Scarlon wants to know if Jorgith Castle is still Renaud property.”

Grandfather Reginald was silent for a moment before nodding. “It should be since it was our property when I was your age and I don’t remember selling it, but I’ll double-check the records just to be sure.” He got up and was soon heard going through some files just off screen.

“Jorgith Castle? Isn’t that the supposed haunted castle in Yargon?” Leslie asked.

“That’s the one, though you’d know a thing or two about hauntings, wouldn’t you?” I remarked.

“Hey!” she shouted. “Just because I’m a ghost…though I don’t have a lot of experience haunting places since I was stuck in that room for decades.”

“That’s probably the best for our sakes, Leslie.” Grandfather called over. “Though I’ll admit having a ghost around can be fun at certain times of the year.”

Leslie grinned as she looked off screen. “You got that right, Reginald.”

Grandfather chuckled as the tablet was moved so I could see the group of file cabinets he was standing in front of, holding a sheet of paper in his hand. “It’s free for you to investigate. The castle has been our property for well over two thousand years, and it always will be since the original contract says it must remain Renaud property as long as the family exists, and it’s bound with magic.” He explained. “If I may ask, why the sudden interest?”

“We’d like to investigate some of the…strange activity there, and a perfect opportunity to do so just came up.” I explained.

Grandfather Reginald nodded. “Ah. I figured it was something like that. Though I hope you’ll enjoy your visit there, Colin. Yargon’s a beautiful country.”

“I’m sure we will.”

“See you later, and remember to stop by sometime. Both of you.”

“Both? What–” I looked over and saw Scarlon standing a short distance behind me.

“Don’t worry, Reginald. We’ll visit you soon.”

“I hope so, Scarlon.” Grandfather began. “For one, I haven’t seen you in person since you took that form.”

Scarlon shrunk back a little. “Has it really been that long?”

“It has, my friend.”

“Then I’ll do my best to fix that.” Scarlon stated.

“I hope so.” Grandfather replied. “Anyway, do either of you need anything else right now?”

“I don’t believe so.” I answered.

Scarlon nodded. “We should be good.”

“Then I’ll talk with you boys later.” Grandfather glanced at the ghost next to him. “Leslie?”

She grinned. “See you later, boys. End call.”

I turned to Scarlon as the call ended screen appeared. “How did you get that thing to register the voice of a few ghosts, and why?”

“Just a few tricks I picked up over the centuries.” He answered. “As for why, The Hills are some of the better ghosts to talk with. They’re an interesting bunch, anyway.”

I looked at him, puzzled. “Interesting? In what way?”

“Let’s just say I’m keeping an eye on the Hills as part of a long-term investigation.”

I raised an eyebrow. “What kind of investigation?”

“I can’t say much yet since it’s still in the early stages, but their story’s far from over despite being long dead.” He spoke in a tone which made it clear I wouldn’t get anything more out of him at the moment. “Now let’s get everything ready for our trip, shall we?”

“Agreed.” I answered.

                                                                                                    

 

The following day at school passed without incident. I was about to once after all the classes were over, but Elliot spotted me on the way out.

“Hey, Colin.” He waved as he went up to me. “Haven’t caught up with you in a while.”

“Yeah.” I began. “I’ve just been busy with things.”

He smirked. “Assignments for that teacher of yours, no doubt. What are you guys investigating, this time?”

“A place you suggested on your visit, as a matter of fact.” I answered.

Elliot looks at me, a little puzzled. “Which place did I–oh. Jorgith castle?” I nodded. “How do you plan on getting in? The people watching the castle rarely let anyone in, especially those with our interests.”

“Simple. My family’s owned the castle for thousands of years.”

“Really?” he asked. “Come to think of it, your friend did say you’re a descendant of Jorg VI, so it makes sense your family would own the castle. When are you leaving?”

“Tonight.” I said. “It’s a good thing I ran into you now since I’d like to know what to look for there.”

“I have a nice list.” Elliot began, taking out a notepad and writing on it while we walked out of the building. “The wailing prince is an obvious one, but there are reports of ghosts in just about every room and hallway. Most only show up at night, but a few have been seen during the day.” He tore a couple of sheets out of the notepad and handed it to me. “I’d like to know how many of those accounts are true, and I expect you to keep me updated as often as possible during your investigation.”

“I’ll do all I can, Elliot.” I answered.

“Good.”

                                                                                                    

 

While putting a few suitcases into the back of Scarlon’s car later that evening, I noticed a girl peeking out from behind a door. I’d seen her a few times, though we hadn’t spoken much by that point.

“Look who’s here.” I remarked as Scarlon emerged from the side of the manor.

Scarlon smirked as he looked back. “You can come out now, Samara.”

“O…okay.” The girl hesitated before stepping out from behind the door and walking toward us at a slow pace.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of. It’s just us.” Scarlon put a hand on my shoulder. “You should’ve seen my pupil around often enough by now to know he’s trustworthy.”

“I guess.” Samara muttered as she went up to me. “C…Colin, right? Scarlon’s latest student?”

“Yep.” I answered. “You must be Samara.”

She nodded.

“So what brings you out here?” Scarlon asked as he faced her.

“I’m just seeing you guys off, and wanted to know if you need anything taken care of.” She said.

“Just my usual request to keep an eye on the house and inform me of any visitors upon my return, or contact me if it’s urgent.” He explained. “Also, if Vanessa gets in, tell me straight away.”

“Sounds good to me. See you later, boys.” She ran into the house and closed the door behind her as fast as she could.

I looked up at Scarlon once she was out of sight. “Is she always like this around people?”

He nodded. “She’s been shy and afraid of people all her life, though I was surprised to see her approach and talk with you. Even if it was only for a moment.”

“Really?” I asked as we got in the car.

“Yeah. She might be overcoming her fear of people at last, or is at least on the first step.” He smiled. “Took long enough.”

“Didn’t you once tell me she was one of your cousins?”

“She’s the daughter of my first cousin.”

“Ah. Why does she live with you?” I inquired.

“Long story.” Scarlon began. “But the basics are a combination of her safety and signs of magic potential, which her mother lacks.”

“Is her mother’s personality like hers?”

Scarlon laughed as he shook his head. “Valgrion is almost the polar opposite of Samara, as you’ll probably see for yourself sooner or later.”

“If you say so. Anyway, how are we getting to Yargon? Using one of your tricks?”

He shook his head. “Not this time, my student. We’ll just take the plane I keep at a local airfield.”

“Huh. So no magic?”

“There’s no need in this case.” Scarlon replied. “While there are a few ways to get from here to Yargon quickly using magic, they’ll never be my first choice. My…other methods of flying also don’t work well with passengers. At least without attracting attention.”

“Ah.” I said.

“Besides, a plane also makes more sense since this is a business trip.”

“True.” I admitted.

                                                                                                    

 

We drove to an airfield some miles from the manor and left the car in a parking garage on the edge of it before walking to a nearby hangar, and a man ran out of it as we approached one of the planes.

Scarlon waved to the man. “Afternoon, Mr. Jones. Is everything all set?”

The man gave an affirmative nod. “You’re good to go, Mr. Demalgo.”

“Thank you.” Scarlon began. “Then we’ll get on board and leave my car in your care.”

“Of course, sir.” Mr. Jones glanced at me for a moment. “Will it just be you and your friend?”

“Correct.” Scarlon answered as I followed him up the ramp leading into the plane.

“Then I wish you safe travels.” Mr. Jones called up.

“Thanks.” Scarlon closed the door and ran to the cockpit, showing me a seat right behind. We were soaring over the land a few minutes later.

Scarlon’s voice came through the plane’s intercom. “We should arrive in Yargon in a few hours. Then we can head to the castle.”

I looked out the window as we flew over the ocean. “What an amazing sight. Though I’ve got to ask. When did you acquire a plane?”

“Some time ago in return for an investigation.” Scarlon answered.

“Must’ve been quite an investigation, then.”

Scarlon chuckled. “Oh, it was. I’ll tell you about it one day, though not right now.”

“I figured. Though knowing you, it must be important if you’re already planning on telling me about it.” I returned my gaze to the open ocean. “Is this a normal plane?”

“For the most part, but I’ve had it modified over the years for our purposes.”

“With technology from distant planets or magic?” I asked.

“Both.” He answered.

“So prepared for everything?”

“Yep.”

I remained silent in thought for a few moments. “So what’s the deal with Jorgith Castle? There’s an awful lot of ghost stories surrounding.”

“Colin, any building in regular use for more than a few centuries is going to have some ghosts in it.” Scarlon explained. “Jorgith Castle just has more than others thanks to its bloody history.”

“Before or after my family got it?”

“Before. It was built during the reign of Jorg VI, as you already know, and was the main palace of Yargon’s royal family for its last few generations.”

“A few generations? That’s it?” I asked as we passed over some islands.

“Yes.” Scarlon began. “Jorg VI’s immediate descendants fought each other over the throne, and it took less than a century for all male lines to die out through a combination of plagues, failed military campaigns, and murdering each other.”

“That explains the reports of ghosts.”

“Yep. Including Jorgith Castle’s most famous one.”

“The wailing prince?” I asked.

“Correct. The prince, according to the accounts I’ve gathered over the centuries, is said to be Yaron, third son of Arog V, who was found murdered in one of the hallways.”

I looked through some of the reports I stored on the tablet. “Yes. The same hallway the screams are reported in.”

“Nothing unusual there since most hauntings occur where the person died.” Scarlon said. “Though it’s strange how Yaron’s the most prominent ghost there when his murder wasn’t the most mysterious or brutal.”

“Yes, but didn’t you once say that you can never tell what’ll cause a spirit to linger after death?” I pointed out.

“I did.” Nobody said anything for a while until Scarlon called out, “We’re coming up on Yargon.”

A few spires emerged in the distance. “There’s the castle, which you seem to know much about.” I remarked. “The royal family, too.”

“You know how I try to do all the research I can before starting an investigation, and that place has been on my list for centuries.” He explained. “I’ve also heard a few accounts from your family over the years.”

“Fair enough.” I replied, remembering how some of my ancestors were known historians in their time. I sat back in contemplation for a few moments. “I was wondering, Scarlon. You said all the male lines died out, right?”

“Correct.”

“Is that why the castle ended up in the possession of my family?”

“Yep.” Scarlon began. “Note how you’re a descendant of his daughter and the monarchs who succeeded him. If I’m remembering correctly, she survived since she had married into your family and moved away long before the fighting started.”

I did some research on Yargon’s ancient royal family as the plane flew over the land. “According to the property records, the throne and castle passed to Jorg’s daughter, Asteri, in 22 BW since she was the only living member of House Jagriv. Though she had long ago married into the Renaud family and was approaching her hundredth birthday, she chose to spend her final years in her father’s castle. Her son Edvawin Renaud inherited the throne when she died at the age of 103. When the Overlord invaded a few years later, he abandoned the throne and fled to distant lands for the safety of his family. Edvawin never abandoned the castle and it’s been Renaud property ever since.” I read. “Interesting. While the Overlord died quite a long time ago, none of my relatives ever attempted to restore the monarchy of Yargon.”

“Not surprising. I’ve only met a few Renauds who claimed royal titles, and all of them as a last resort.” Scarlon remarked.

“And none of them are recent.”

                                                                                                    

 

The plane descended onto a landing strip a few minutes later and we disembarked. Scarlon looked at the castle in the distance. “I commend your family for keeping the castle maintained after two millennia.”

I nodded. “I don’t know why, though. None of us have used the castle as a permanent home for well over a thousand years because of the hauntings.”

“I’m sure your ancestors have had many different and conflicting reasons over the years.” Scarlon said. “For instance, I know a few used the castle as a vacation home.”

As we talked, a middle-aged man in fine clothing comes up to us. “Excuse me. Are either of young Master Colin?”

“Yes. I’m Colin Renaud,” I pointed to Scarlon. “And this is my friend and mentor, Scarlon Demalgo.”

“A pleasure.” The man shook our hands before leading us to a large car. "My name is Preston. “I was informed of your impending arrival, and was instructed to show you to the castle once you landed.” He opened the back passenger doors after putting our luggage in the trunk. “Shall we get going?”

Scarlon nodded as we got in. Preston closed the door after us and got in the driver’s seat to start our journey.

                                                                                                    

 

We pulled up to an archway in front of the castle courtyard about half an hour later where a palace guard was standing on either side.

“Good day, Preston.” One of the guards said.

“Good day.” Our driver answered.

The second guard looked through the window at us. “You must be the travelers who made arrangements to stay at the castle for a few days.”

“We are.” Scarlon stated as we introduced ourselves, and the guards gave a slow nod.

“Of course. Count Renaud’s grandson and the old family friend.” The first guard stated. “Go on in. I hope you’ll enjoy your stay in Jorgith Castle.”

“Thank you.” Scarlon began. “I’ve no doubt we will.”

Preston drove us through the courtyard and up to the main entrance. We got out of the car and Preston led the way through the door after grabbing our luggage.

“Right this way, Master Colin.” Preston stated.

“I didn’t think there’d be so many people staffed here.” I commented once we were inside.

“There’s only a few of us, really.” Preston began. “We’re employed by the Renaud family to ensure the castle is maintained at all times. You never know when guests like yourselves will show up.”

“Ah. Understandable.”

Preston led us down a hallway east of the large entrance hall and greeting room. “Your rooms will be down this way.”

“Thank you.” I said.

“Anything for the Renaud family.” He replied. “I’m told you’re here on business.”

“Correct.” Scarlon began. “I’m meeting a client who’s interested in purchasing a property in the village.”

“Of course.” Preston stopped before a pair of rooms, one on each side of the hallway. “Reginald told me you were in the real estate business.”

“Did he, now?” Scarlon asked.

Preston nodded. “As it happens, there’s a nice business office in the courtyard. I’ll show it to you later if you so desire.”

“Thank you. Can you show it to me right now?” Scarlon inquired. “I’d like to leave anything I brought related to business in there.”

Preston was silent for a few moments. “I could, but wouldn’t you like some rest after your journey?”

“Colin might, but I’m good for the moment.”

“I can keep going for a bit longer.” I affirmed.

“Then think you can look around the castle?”

“Certainly. But why?” I questioned.

“Just to get a feel for the place during the day.”

“Of course. I’ll get right on it.”

Scarlon grinned. “Then I’ll catch up with you in a bit.” He followed Preston back toward the entrance while I dropped my stuff off in one of the rooms before going in the other direction toward some stairs. I wandered through some of the castle hallways and was approaching the east tower when I saw the outline of a figure wandering through the halls.

“Hello?” I called out as I walked toward the figure. “Who are you, and what’s your business here?”

The figure stared for a moment before floating right through me. I looked back and saw it was a man dressed in ancient armor mere moments before he disappeared into the door I’d just come through. “Of course. Elliot did mention ghost sightings during the day.” I muttered before pressing on to explore the tower which was empty except for the occasional apparition.

                                                                                                    

 

As I walked down a staircase to find my way to the west tower, I found Scarlon going in the opposite direction. “Huh. I wasn’t expecting you back so soon.” I commented since business matters could keep him occupied for hours.

Scarlon smirked. “It didn’t take long since I was just dropping a few things off, but I did have a short meeting with Mr. Jolg. He didn’t have a lot of time, though we’re off to a good start.”

“Excellent.”

“Indeed.” Scarlon answered. “Anyway, what have you found so far?”

“Just a few ghosts wandering the halls.”

“Nothing out of the ordinary?” he asked.

I shook my head as we went to the west tower, Scarlon glancing about.

“About what I’d expect in daylight, but I just wanted to ensure there wasn’t any trickery involved.” He explained. “Not that there would be since the chances of trickery being at play for thousands of years without interruption, or being found out, is almost impossible.”

“Yeah. Especially considering there were times when nobody living came near here for centuries on end, such as during the Overlord’s reign.”

Scarlon nodded. “Good point.” He glanced at the notepad he was carrying. “While we should try and look into as many of the ghosts as possible, let’s focus on the most famous case for now.”

“Agreed.”

                                                                                                    

 

We soon headed back to the rooms we were staying in, which happened to be on the north side, and sat down on a table between them as Scarlon placed a map of the castle on it.

“Where did you get this?” I asked.

“I had it printed while I was at the office in the courtyard.”

“Oh.” I said. “Is it a nice office, then?”

He shrugged. “It’ll do, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.” He straightened the map out. “Now where’s our main destination?”

I took my tablet out to look it up. “According to just about every report going back centuries, the sounds of the wailing prince come from the east tower.”

Scarlon nodded as he checks his notes before circling the second floor of the east tower on the floor plans. “Prince Yaron’s body was found on the second floor of that tower, so it makes sense.” He got up. “Now get some rest, my pupil. We’ll head up there tomorrow evening.”

I nodded in response, and my teacher grinned as he went to the room across from mine. I returned to mine to get some sleep, and heard a few screams while drifting off.

                                                                                                    

 

I found a note from Scarlon on my door when I got up the next morning which read, I’ll be showing Mr. Jolg the property today. Be ready to investigate the east tower upon my return. 

About what I’d expected since this was a business trip. I did some research on the screams heard in the night to prepare for the investigation, recordings in particular. I found dozens of them with dates ranging from over a century ago to the last few weeks. There were differences from the equipment used and the time the recordings were made, but I recognized the screams even in the oldest ones. “Interesting.” I muttered as I saved the recordings.

A knock on the door was heard after nightfall and I opened it to find Scarlon standing there.

“Ready?” he asked.

“As much as I can be.” I answered.

“Then let’s go.”

We scaled the east tower and heard a near-deafening wail, the same I’d heard the previous night, which got louder as we got to the second floor.

“Did you hear that?” I asked.

Scarlon nodded. “But is it what we’re looking for?”

I took out my tablet and play some of the recordings I’d gathered earlier. “What do you think?”

“That we’re getting close.” He said, grabbing my arm and dragging me along the halls in the direction of the sound.

We stopped upon entering a hallway which connected to many rooms on the second floor, as well as lined with suits of armor. A transparent figure in fine clothes was stumbling across the hall and making that famous scream. I wasn’t surprised by what I heard upon spotting a knife in the figure’s side. I looked at Scarlon. “Is it him?”

“The records say Yaron was stabbed, but let’s be sure.” Scarlon stepped into the ghost’s path and spoke to the ghost in the language of ancient Yargon. I picked up a few words here and there, but Scarlon had to translate most of it for me later. “Do I have the honor of addressing Prince Yaron?”

The ghost wailed as he floated toward us. “You do. Now state your business with me, along with how you can speak with me.”

“I am attuned to the supernatural world, and so is my young friend here.” Scarlon patted my shoulder.

“Who are you, then?”

“I’m Scarlon. My friend’s Colin, whose family has owned this castle for most of its history.”

“I see.” The ghost began. “Now state your business.”

“Why are you wandering the halls of this castle?”

“To see my brother Ravos brought to justice for my murder. His family as well.” Yaron glared at me. “If your family owns the castle, then you must be of my brother’s blood!”

The ghost shrieked as he floated after me. As I ducked to avoid his reach, Scarlon waves his hands about faster than I’d seen in some time and a barrier surrounded us, which the ghost can’t get through despite numerous attempts.

“What did you do?!” Yaron shouted.

Scarlon smirked. “Just some basic protection I came across some time ago.”

Yaron stammered. “But that boy–my brother’s line–”

“Died out literal ages ago.” Scarlon stated. “Same with the rest of your brothers.”

“Then how does this boy’s family have the castle if he isn’t of Jorg’s blood?!”

He’s a Renaud."

“Of course. A descendant of Asteri?”

Scarlon nodded as the ghost before us calmed down. “Your brothers and their lines lasted less than eighty years after your death since they couldn’t stop killing each other over the throne, and about two thousand years have passed since then.”

“So Ravos is long gone, then?”

“Correct.” Scarlon began. “I don’t recall seeing anyone in your immediate family floating about the palace, so it should be safe to assume Ravos passed on long ago. Any punishment for your murder has long since been carried out.”

“In the next world without a doubt, but is Ravos’s involvement with my death known in this one after thousands of years?”

“Kind of. Nobody’s been able to prove it for sure, but the general consensus among historians is that Ravos killed you. His own son even suspected it since I believe it was part of the reason for Ravos’s own murder.” Scarlon explained.

Yaron chuckled. “A fitting end for him, then.”

“Perhaps, but it was just part of a decades-long power struggle in which nobody won.” Scarlon sighed. “Now is there anything else holding you to this world?”

Yaron shook his head. "I don’t believe so. But I want you to tell me something. I’ve seen many…people like me in the castle. Are all of them the ghosts of my family?

“Most of them are.” Scarlon answered. “A few aren’t, but they were probably members of the court.”

“I’ll accept that.” The ghost said. “Can you assist the same way you’re helping me?”

“Not all of them.” Scarlon spoke in a regretful tone. “Most of them are aware of what they are and, more to the point, they appear to be bound to the castle as long as it exists. Helping them is beyond my power. Besides, none of the other ghosts in these halls have been as…vocal as you.”

Yaron gave a slow nod. “Then if it’s all the same to you, Scarlon Demalgo, I’d prefer to stay here with the ghosts of my family and our associates. The wailing ends tonight and will never be heard again.” He raised his hand. “I swear by the stones of Pariva.”

“Then we’ll hold you to it, Prince Yaron.” Scarlon raised a hand. “We’ll stay a couple more nights and will keep tabs on this place for a while. If we hear about the wailing prince again, expect a visit from us.”

“I’d expect nothing less from an expert.” Yaron said as the barrier disappeared.

I glanced at the ghost once the barrier faded away and saw he didn’t move. “Is everything good, now?”

“I think it is.” Scarlon answered as he faced the prince. “we’ll check in on you before we leave, but I believe our business is concluded.”

“Yes. I think it is. Enjoy the rest of your stay in the castle.” Yaron then floated away in the opposite direction.

I looked up at Scarlon. “What are the stones of–”

“Be careful with those words!” Scarlon interjected. “Vows made by them are strongly enforced, more so for a Renaud.”

“Oh. But what are they?” I asked.

“Pariva is said to be the homeland of House Jagriv, which all royals of Yargon belonged to.” He answered.

I nodded. “And the Renauds as a result. But is there any truth to it?”

“Maybe. Ruins of a land once called Pariva have been found on an island just north of this continent near a circle of tall stones, but little else is known about it since most of the written records are indecipherable at this time. Even with the technology at my disposal, and I did try.” He remarked. Though given the proximity of Yargon and Pariva, There’s probably a connection between them."

                                                                                                    

 

We returned to our rooms and true to the prince’s word, no screams were heard. Scarlon had another meeting with Mr. Jolg the next morning and on the following night, we went through all the halls of the castle one last time and slowed down upon reaching the east tower.

“Not a sound.” I pointed out.

“Nope.” Scarlon replied. “For the first time in literal ages.”

“Then are the days of the wailing prince over?” I asked as we walked away from the tower.

Scarlon pointed to some of the ghosts wandering through the large room below us. “What do you think?”

I followed his gaze and saw a few ghosts drifting around the room. One of them is Yaron, who looked at us for a moment and smiled before floating away. “That the tale of the wailing prince has been brought to a close. Though let’s see what else there is.” I glanced at the list Elliot gave me. “While the wailing prince was the most famous case here, Elliot wanted us to look into a few more. Let’s see. There’s the ghost of the soldier, I think that’s the one I saw when we first got here, and there’s the…garden?”

Scarlon glanced at his tablet." Garden, huh? The plans say we’re close to an entrance, so let’s take a look."

“Might as well.”

We went down a series of hallways leading to the northeast, soon reaching a set of doors leading outside to a well-cared-for garden.

Scarlon glances around. “An impressive garden.”

“Yeah. It’s amazing to look at, but why would it be on the list?”

Our path through the garden led us past an old woman who was moving about while tending to the numerous flowers and plants.

She looked in our direction when she saw us. “Hello, young men. I don’t get many visitors here. Not these days, anyway.”

“I’m sure you wouldn’t. Many people try to stay away from this place, and most who would aren’t allowed in most of the time.” Scarlon remarked. “To the castle itself, I mean. Not the garden.”

The gardener nodded. “I understand with all the ghost stories.”

“Yes. There are a few, but it’ll take more than ghost stories to scare me away from a place.” Scarlon placed a hand on my shoulder. “My friend, too.”

“Getting in the castle must not have been easy, then.” She said.

“We didn’t have any trouble getting in, but only because my friend’s family owns the castle.” Scarlon explained.

The woman faced me. “Really?”

“Yep. It’s never left Renaud hands, after all.” I replied. “And never can.”

“You’re a Renaud, then?” she asked. I nodded and thought I saw the gardener smile for a brief moment. “Of course. Your family has such a long history, doesn’t it?” She tended to a plant. “I enjoy greeting visitors, young men. Those of the family, in particular. I hope you enjoy my garden.”

“Oh, we do.” I said. “It’s beautiful to look at.”

After passing through every path in the garden and seeing plants from all over the world, including a few rare ones, we left through an entrance leading to the southern end of the castle and found Preston passing by.

“Fancy seeing you here, Master Colin.” He began. “I see you found the garden.”

I nodded. “We did. It was the best garden I’ve ever been in.”

“I agree.” Preston began. “There’s always something new to see, no matter how often I see it. And I’ve taken walks through it since I was a boy.”

“You’ve been with the castle that long, Preston?” I asked.

“My family has watched this castle on behalf of the Renaud family for centuries, Mater Colin.” He answered. “Though in regards to the garden, we’ve always been instructed to never tend to it ourselves outside of sending in seeds and plants on occasion. Though we can visit it all we like.”He looked through the garden doors. “I’ll never know who takes care of it, but I’ll always enjoy looking at it.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I’ve never seen a gardener in my time here, and neither did any of my ancestors.” He answered.

“What? But–” Scarlon put a finger to my lips as he faced Preston.

“That’s quite the mystery, Preston.” Scarlon said. “Though there are many strange occurrences on this planet, and the castle is full of them.”

Preston chuckled. “Indeed it is, Master Demalgo. I doubt anyone can solve them all.”

“Probably not, at least in one lifetime.” Scarlon then whispered “Even mine.” just loud enough for me to hear.

“I agree. While such mysteries are beyond me, as intriguing as they are, tending to the needs of the castle and its inhabitants are enough for me.” The servant said. "Speaking of which, do you need any assistance this evening?

“I don’t believe so.” Scarlon replied.

“Then I’ll see you later.” Preston bowed before disappearing down a hallway to the north.

“What was that about, Scarlon?” I asked once Preston was out of sight. “How is the garden a mystery when we just saw the gardener?”

Scarlon led us back into the garden. “Take a closer look.”

I peeked inside and saw the old woman fade into view while watering some plants. “Oh. She’s a ghost. Why didn’t I see it before?”

“Some ghosts can be difficult to spot at first, particularly if their presence doesn’t seem out of the ordinary.” Scarlon explained. “Like, for instance, a gardener tending to her garden, but I knew she was a ghost right away.”

“Then I need to work on this.” I sighed.

“Don’t we all? But don’t worry about it too much. It takes many years of practice, but one day you’ll identify a ghost on sight."

“But a ghost who can take care of a garden? How is that possible?” I asked. “Didn’t you once tell me ghosts can’t really interact with the physical world?”

“Most can’t, but there are some rare exceptions. For instance, if someone has a strong attachment to a place in life,” Scarlon pointed to the ghost as she went to a different part of the garden. “A prized garden, for instance, their bond might be enough to stay in this world after death and take care of it for eternity.”

“I can understand that.” I looked at the ghost once more, and she glanced at me with a smile before going back to tending the plants and fading away.

                                                                                                    

 

I accompanied Scarlon to his temporary office the next morning to sit in on his final meeting with Alistair Jolg, at least in Yargon.

“I trust the manor house is to your liking, Mr. Jolg?” Scarlon asked as he prepared some forms.

“Absolutely, Mr. Demalgo. It’ll suit my needs.” Mr. Jolg said.

“Splendid.” Scarlon placed the forms on the desk. “Then sign these to finalize the deal.”

Mr. Jolg glanced up on occasion as he signed the papers. “Thank you for coming out all this way to show me the property, but I hope I didn’t inconvenience you in any way.”

“Quite the contrary, Mr. Jolg. It gave us the opportunity to visit this beautiful country, which I’d been meaning to do for ages.”

“It is a rare opportunity, isn’t it? Though you’re right about Yargon being beautiful. Otherwise, why would I get a property here?” Mr. Jolg remarked. He looked outside after signing the last form. “By the way, isn’t this the courtyard of the famous Jorgith Castle?”

Scarlon nodded. “That’s correct.”

“Do you by any chance know who owns it?”

“Yes. Why do you ask?”

“I know an associate who may be interested in purchasing it.” Mr. Jolg said.

“Ah. Jorgith Castle is owned by the Renaud family. But due to ancient contracts still in force, it can never leave their possession as long as the family exists.” Scarlon explained.

“I see.” Mr. Jolg replied. “Regrettable, but I understand.”

He shook hands with Scarlon as he got up. “It’s been a pleasure doing business with you, Mr. Demalgo. If I ever need to purchase more properties, your listings will be the first I’ll check.”

“Thank you, Mr. Jolg. I look forward to doing business with you again.” Scarlon said.

“So do I. Good day for now.” Mr. Jolg smiled as he left.

“This was quite the successful trip.” Scarlon pointed out as we headed back to the castle.

“I’ll say.” I chuckled. “You sold a property and got to investigate an old palace.”

“Definitely, my young pupil. But I think it’s time we head back home.”

                                                                                                    

 

After gathering my things and meeting Scarlon in the great hall a short time later, I happened to glance at the portraits on the walls which depicted every owner of the castle from Jorg VI to my grandfather. I stopped when I saw a large portrait near the center of the hall and recognized the face of the old woman I saw in the garden. A portrait of the same woman, though much younger, was placed below it. “Did you see this, Scarlon?”

“See what?” he asked. I pointed to the portraits and he smirked. “Ah. Our ghost gardener.” He went over to the plaque beneath the portraits. “Exactly who I thought she was.”

“Who was she?” I asked.

“Countess Asteri.”

My eyes widened as I ran up to the plaque. Sure enough, Countess Asteri Jagriv Renaud was written on it. “As in the link between House Jagriv and House Renaud!”

“Yep. Your direct ancestor. I thought the ghost was her since I found a few historical accounts about a famous garden Countess Asteri kept in this castle during her final years. Since she already had a strong attachment to the castle, it only makes sense for her to stick around after death to tend to her greatest contribution to it.”

I nodded. “She’s done a wonderful job.”

“I agree.” Scarlon moved toward the entrance. “Now let’s go. We have a long flight ahead of us, and I’m sure your grandfather will want to hear about our journey either during it or when we return.”

I sighed. “Probably. So one place full of ghosts for another.”

“Yep. Though nowhere near as many, and those three were invited.” Scarlon commented.

“True. They were.”

                                                                                                    

 

Preston was waiting at the entrance to drive us to the landing strip. “I hope you’ve enjoyed your trip here. Shame it couldn’t have been longer.”

Scarlon nodded. “I agree, though you probably know how business trips can be.”

“Certainly, sir. I hope you can visit again soon.”

“So do I.” Scarlon said. “Yargon’s a nice country.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Preston turned to me. “I hope you can bring the rest of your family next time. It’s been years since I’ve seen them.”

“I’ll talk to grandfather about it.” I replied. “Until then, farewell.”

“I wish you a safe journey.” Preston bowed as we got on the plane.

Our journey home began a few minutes later, and I went to the back of the plane once the ocean came into view to contact Grandfather Reginald.

Leslie answered like before. “Hello again, Colin. Back from ghost land?”

“Bit ironic coming from you.” I pointed out.

She laughed. “Yeah, but at least everyone here are young ghosts compared to anything in that castle. Anyhow, I’m guessing you want to speak to your grandfather?”

“Yep.”

“I’ll get him.” Leslie floated away, and Reginald appeared on the screen a few minutes later.

“Colin, my lad. How was your trip to Jorgith Castle?” he asked.

“Amazing.” I answered.

“And the ghosts?”

“Well…” I told grandfather everything we saw at the castle.

“Glad to hear old Preston’s still doing well.” Grandfather chuckled. “So the story of the wailing prince was brought to a close and you met the ghost of Countess Asteri.”

“Pretty much.”

“I’ve always wondered about that garden.” Grandfather said.

“Good idea.” I began. “Preston mentioned something about wanting to see the family again.”

“He did?” Reginald asked. “Then I’ll see about planning a family trip to the castle in the near future.”

We chatted about various topics such as Yargon and Scarlon’s training for the rest of the fight. It was night by the time we landed and I went straight home, getting some much-needed rest after the long journey.

0