Chapter 1: Crash Course
336 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur opened his eyes and looked around as he got used to his new body and nearly fell over again when he noticed all the buildings around him. After a few moments of studying, he quickly figured out that he was in a city of some sort but before he could do or say anything else a prompt appeared in front of his face.

<<<System Alert>>>
---Welcome Traveler to Endless Online, as this is your first-time logging into the game, we will notify you of a certain number of things to get you used to the game world around you.
--- First EO is reactive to Traveler gameplay, and while some Quests might be common, others will disappear as they are completed. 
--- Second at Level 1, you automatically receive (5) Attribute Points and (1) Talent Point to distribute. 
--- All Proficiencies, Skills, Abilities, including Racial Abilities have been unlocked.
--- At Level 1, you have 5 Gold, 1 Minor Health, Stamina, and Spirit Potion. You can access your Inventory by thinking or saying 'Inventory'. 
--- Explore the world around you, EO is rich in history and events. See the nearest Quest Board that can be located near most Inns, Town centers, and almost every major crossroad within a city.
--- Remember first and foremost, whatever happens in the game, stays within the game. Any threats of real-world violence will result in a warning(s), real physical actions will result in temporary banishment, to full account freeze and banning.
--- Other than making sure any conflict in EO staying in EO, the only laws are the laws of the land you are in. Paramount will not ban you for killing Citizens or Travelers, but if you break the local laws, there will be consequences from the locals. Paramount built this world for all of you, but it is up to you to decide what to do with it. Enjoy!

Quest Name: Basic Training
Description: Welcome Traveler, while this world can be beautiful, it can also be ugly and dangerous. You should seek out Sergeant Irving, located at the nearby Barracks, and seek some Combat training to better prepare yourself for the wider world.
Quest Class: Introductory
Quest Difficulty: Moderate

Success: Find Sergeant Irving and undergo his training.

Failure: Do not find Sergeant Irving, refuse or fail his training course.

Rewards: 100 Experience, various Weapon and Armor Proficiencies Unlocked, Unknown

Quest Name: Getting Started
Description: As a new Traveler, you need some basic gear no matter what you end up doing in EO. Seek out Tabitha at the local general store, From Bandages to Rations, and turn in your Basic Starting Token to receive a starter pack. Its highly recommended that you complete the Basic Training Quest before you seek your starter pack so that it may be catered to your needs.
Quest Class: Introductory 
Quest Difficulty: Easy

Success: Locate 'From Bandages to Rations' and turn your Basic Starting Token over to the owner Tabitha to receive your pack.

Failure: Do not locate the general store or receive your starter pack

Rewards: 100 Experience, Various Basic Starting Gear catered to your needs

Note* Due to being new to EO, the above Quests are mandatory to receive. Almost all future Quests are optional.

<<<System Alert>>>

Arthur read through all the information with great care before dismissing it, while having the Quests would help guide him, he still had no idea where the two locations were within the city. He looked around and spotted what he assumed were soldiers or city guards, as he focused on them [City Guard] tag popped up confirming his suspicions but providing no other information.

Arthur almost missed a step as the tag disappeared, but quickly recovered much to the amusement of other nearby people. The guards halted as Arthur slowly approached, "Excuse me, might you tell me where I can find Sergeant Irving?" Arthur asked them and the guards chuckled.

"Another Traveler I see?" the guard asked, and Arthur nodded his head as the man pointed down the street towards the large outer walls. "Head that way, once you hit the wall, take a right and go down three blocks. The sergeant and the training grounds will be on your right side." the man instructed and with a wave goodbye and thanks, Arthur started walking.

While there was nothing to distinguish a Traveler from a Citizen to Arthur that was quickly changing when he spotted all the people looking around in amazement or running around trying to complete Quests, while the people of the city were going about their business at a more sedate pace. Yet by taking the slower pace Arthur learned far more, like the fact he was in a city called Vindomora and it was allied with a nearby city called Carsioli to the south-east. More importantly, they were currently at odds with a city to the northeast called Vamoria. There was even talk of the possibility of going to war with the other city, but the the Magister hadn't decided on what they were going to do.

Not yet anyway.

Arthur slowed as he approached the training grounds, from what he could see there was a couple of arenas, two sets of archery ranges, and several dummies were set up where more than one person was practicing with melee weapons. Honestly, they looked like bad dancers more than anything else. Arthur chuckled at the sight of more than one newbie's actions, "Yes it's amusing, but why aren't you joining them?" Arthur looked over to see a burly guard decked in a chainmail shirt and heavy leather armor. 

"I am not like them, I like to think before I act and prefer to keep my distance in a fight if possible and get close only, when necessary," Arthur told him honestly as he studied the man, "So, Sergeant Irving, what training do you think I should do?" Arthur asked the veteran warrior earning a smile from the man as he studied me for a few moments.

"Your one of the few Travelers to ask my opinion, most of your kind are off grabbing whatever draws their attention without thought," Irving replied as he studied Arthur. "Answer with your first thought, magic or archery?" Irving asked and it was stupid questing in Arthur's mind.

"Magic," he told the other man, half the reason Arthur came here was to see or experience the magic. 

Irving chuckled at his vehement reply, "Even if you become the most powerful mage someday, you still need to learn to survive. Come with me." the older man commanded and led Arthur to another area of the training yard. While there were several target dummies here as well, there was also what looked like an obstacle course. "Terry, I got one for you. Probably going to end up as a mage but still needs to learn some basics including the knife and staff. Get him trained up." the Sergeant commanded, and the man. Terry stood up and gestured for Arthur closer as Irving walked off.

Terry studied Arthur before nodding his head, "He has a good eye for this, come on I will show you some things with knives and staves before we work on other things." Terry told Arthur as he led him over to a rack of weapons, all of them were practice weapons without edges or with padding to blunt any attacks and the damage they would cause. 

Terry shoved what looked like a dagger and a staff in my hands before stepping into the small combat arena. "Keep the knife in your belt for later or in case you are disarmed," Terry advised Arthur as he focused on the weapons, and their information popped up.

Spoiler

Weapon Name: Practice Knife
Weapon Type: Knife; Iron, Leather, Wood; Dagger
Weapon Class: Common
Equipment Slot: Main/Off Hand
Base Damage: 0 - 1 (Piercing/Slashing)

Weapon Name: Practice Staff
Weapon Type: 2-Handed Stave; Wood, Cloth; Staff
Weapon Class: Common
Equipment Slot: Main/Off Hand
Base Damage: 0 - 2 (Blunt)

[collapse]

Arthur walked into the arena and marveled at how real the staff felt in his hands, he could feel every grain in the wood as he held it and he could see multiple nicks in the wood from previous uses. "Pay attention!" Terry snapped and Arthur glanced up just in time to step to the side to avoid a blow to the throat. "A staff is best used to keep enemies at bay, but being a blunt weapon it can easily crack bones, bruise dense muscles, and crush skulls or throats. It can also be used as a tool for a mage if used properly," he instructed as Arthur circled the other man.

"Keep your hands and feet shoulder-width apart, if possible, it gives you the maximum control and force in both defense and strikes." Terry corrected Arthur's stance and the hold Arthur had on the weapon before launching an attack. For the next couple of hours, Terry pounded, stabbed, and constantly critiqued all of Arthur's actions, but in the end, Arthur was physically exhausted, but he thought it was well worth it.

<<<System Alert>>>
Quest Name: Basic Training

Notice: You have completed the most basic combat training offered and have unlocked several basic but key Proficiencies and Skills. You have received 100 Experience, various Proficiencies and Skills have been unlocked, invitation to complete Advanced Training with the Vindomora City Guard.

1 X Level up!

You have (10) free Attribute Points.

You have (2) free Talent Points.

Through extensive training and actions, the following Attributes have increased...

+1 Constitution
+2 Endurance
+2 Strength
+2 Dexterity
+1 Luck

Combat Proficiency Unlocked: Unarmed Combat
Proficiency Level: 2 (25% to next Level)
Proficiency Type: Passive
Description: EO is a dangerous place, with much strife and war within it. Those that are unarmed must be prepared to defend themselves in any situation and with this Proficiency your body will be better prepared.
Effect 1: Increases Unarmed Combat damage by 4%
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Combat Proficiency Unlocked: Knives
Proficiency Level: 3 (40% to next Level)
Proficiency Type: Passive
Description: There are all sorts of Knives in EO, from simple Dirks to Long Knives that rival short swords in length and ability. With this Proficiency, you will be better at wielding them, dealing more damage, and as your Proficiency grows so will the various effects.
Effect 1: Increase Damage while wielding Knife Weapons by 6%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Combat Proficiency Unlocked: Two-Handed Staves
Proficiency Level: 3 (50% to next Level)
Proficiency Type: Passive
Description: Whether you're swinging it around or using it to walk, a Two-Handed Staff is a tool of many uses. 2-Handed Staves are typically wielded by casters and monks, and like a wand, can be used to channel some spells. As your Proficiency with 2-Handed Staves increases so will the benefits of wielding any oversized stick. 
Effect 1: Increase damage while wielding 2-Handed Staves by 6%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Combat Proficiency Unlocked: Light Armor
Proficiency Level: 2 (40% to next Level)
Proficiency Type: Passive
Description: Though Light Armor doesn't offer the same defensive benefits as Medium or Heavy Armor, it is far less bulky and heavy, granting the wearer decent protection while simultaneously offering significantly increased speed, dexterity, and maneuverability. Light Armor is perfect for classes that rely on speed and distance, such as ranged warriors and spell casters.
Effect 1: Increases base armor rating while wearing Light Armor by 4%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Unlocked: Dodge
Skill Level: 2 (40% to next Level)
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: Sometimes the world is out to get you, avoiding those dangers will help you survive. While any idiot can stumble around and get lucky, it takes true finesse to dance and move when in a battle and the Dodge Skill will assist with this.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Increase your reflexes when you dodge an attack.
Effect 2: Increase Movement Speed when you avoid an incoming Melee Attack by 1.5%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Unlocked: Stealth
Skill Level: 3 (20% to next Level)
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: The world around you is a dangerous place to live, no matter where you go, no matter who you are, there are beings out there that can and will kill you given a chance. Stealth allows you to creep through the shadows, making you harder to detect by hostile forces. As this skill increases, your chances of hiding from your enemies will increase.
Effect: Increase the chance to hide from enemies by 6%.
Restriction: Cannot be directly observed by enemies to activate.
Range: Self
Duration: Until Canceled
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: Initial 20 Spirit, Duration 5 Spirit per Minute
Cooldown: 30 Seconds

Skill Unlocked: Sneaking Steps
Skill Level: 1 (80% to next Level)
Skill Type: Active
Skill Description: Walk softly and carry a big stick some people say, I say walk softly and avoid their attention. To do that, you have to be very, very, quiet!
Damage: N/A
Effect: Decrease the sound you make while walking and while Stealth is active by 2%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Unlocked: Sneak Attack
Skill Level: 1 (40% to next Level)
Skill Type: Active
Description: Not all people are made equal, neither is fighting. Sometimes the only way to succeed is to stab the other guy in the back and with this skill, your chance at killing them with one blow will increase drastically. Your Sneak Attack damage and critical hit chance will increase, as long as you are not detected.
Restriction: Stealth must be active and cannot be detected.
Effect 1: Increase the Damage of your next Attack by 200%.
Effect 2: Increase the Damage of your next Attack when striking Critical Areas by 500%.
Effect 3: Increase Critical Hit Chance of your next Attack by 5%.
AoE: N/A
Range: Melee
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 20 Stamina
Cooldown: 30 Seconds

<<<System Alert>>>

Arthur took deep breaths as he put the two weapons back, "You did good, but you can use more work. Feel free to come back for more training at any time." Terry told him.

Arthur chuckled, he hurt all over but to unlock all the freebies, it was worth it. "Can you tell me where From Bandages to Rations, the general store is?" Arthur asked as he rolled his shoulder as he felt the muscles twinge from use.

Terry chuckled as he nodded, "Go back the way you came, take a right once you get to the street and it will be down one block on your left. It has a sign of a stack of crates, weapons, and clothing of various odd colors. Can't miss it." the other man told him before walking away. Arthur felt his stomach rumble and he looked at the clock on his HUD, he had been inside the game for about five hours so just about an hour and a half in the real world.

The amazing thing was he had no idea if it was his virtual body that was hungry or his real one, while Arthur knew he had eaten only about two hours earlier in the real world consciously it had been a lot longer.

14