Chapter 18: Taking another Step
157 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey are you, ok? I know that wolf got a bite out of you before I managed to tag it." Rob asked as I looked up from the fire.

It was getting late, after Ruby and I logged back in we set about grinding for Level twenty and I just hit the mark. "Sorry, just thinking about what Specialization I am going to unlock. I can go with the Warlock or Necromancer would be best, but...both have their advantages." I told the Ranger.

He nodded his head as he glanced over at his sister, "Penny went with the Sword Warden Specialization when she hit twenty, I went with the Sentinel Specialization when I dinged. So, we both understand it is a big choice, but you got to make it." I nodded my head absently.

The Sword Spec added a branch of buffs and melee talents that would allow Penny to grab and hold aggro. The Sentinel Spec would unlock some melee Talents and traps for the ranger. I focused on the prompt in front of me and started reading again.

Spoiler
<<<System Alert>>>
You have reached Level 20 and have unlocked your Specializations. Congratulations!!!

Please choose from the following options, simply think or say your choice, but be aware once you have unlocked your Specialization there is no changing it.

Specialization: Necromancer
Specialization Bonuses: +10 Intelligence, +20 Spirit
Specialization Abilities: Spirit Sight, Put to Rest
Specialization Talent Tree: Grave Lord Talent Tree, new Spells are added to the Shadow's Power and Shadow's Balance Tree's.
Description: Necromancers can use devastating Plague magic to kill individual targets, or even kill a whole city given time while leaving the buildings intact. Necromancers are also unique in their ability to Raise Undead or even create sentient Undead given time to develop. Be aware, unlike a Warlock, the Undead you raise will be weak until they have time to develop, and any Undead Minions will absorb 25% of any Experience you accrue.

Specialization: Warlock
Specialization Bonuses: +20 Intelligence, +10 Spirit
Specialization Abilities: Eldritch Sight, Dark Anchor
Specialization Talent Tree: Abyssal Lord Talent Tree, new Spells are added to the Shadow's Power and Shadow's Balance Tree's.
Description: Warlocks unlock the Fire Magic Proficiency and are capable of combining that school with Shadow Magic to a devastating effect. Warlocks can also summon Demons from the Abyss to serve them and at higher Levels Bind some Higher Demons to their service. Unlike Necromancers, Warlocks are limited to the number of Demons they can raise but do not share their experience with the Undead.

Which Specialization do you wish to unlock?

<<<System Alert>>>
[collapse]

I went back and forth, while I had the cloak and every indication I should take the Necromancer Spec, the Warlock Spec looked easier by far. The question was, what was the endgame for a Necromancer? It hinted at the capability of creating sentient Undead, but that didn't assure loyalty like a Minion. Not to mention a Necro lost 25% of their experience to any Minions. Command armies or command a small group, what did I want to do?

"What does your instinct tell you to do?" Ruby prompted me.

I glared at her earning a chuckle from her and Penny and made my choice.

Spoiler
<<<System Alert>>>
Notice: You have unlocked the Necromancer Specialization. You are the first Traveler in Endless Online to do this, the following changes have occurred...

--- +10 to Intelligence, +20 Spirit
--- +50 Renown
--- Grave Lord Talent Tree unlocked
--- New Spells are added to the Shadow's Power and Shadow's Balance Tree's
--- Some Talents within the Shadow's Power and Shadow's Balance Trees have been modified due to the new school of magic you have unlocked. (See the list of Talents you have unlocked for more information).
--- Plague Magic Proficiency Unlocked
--- Spirit Sight and Put to Rest Abilities have been Unlocked
--- Your Reputation with most people has fallen to -500 (Unfriendly)

Magical Proficiency Unlocked: Plague Magic
Proficiency Level: 1 (0% to next Level)
Proficiency Type: Passive
Description: The use of Plague Magic is forbidden by a great many beings in the world around you. It is a dark magic that few are willing to study, much less practice beyond a brave few that use it to cure diseases. Plague magic is mainly utilized to spread magical plagues, but some have been known to strengthen the Undead. Be wary, some will kill you on sight if they know you can wield such magic.
Effect: Decrease the Spirit Cost of all Plague-Based Spells by 2%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Ability Unlocked: Spirit Sight
Ability Level: 1 (0% to next Level)
Ability Type: Passive/Active
Ability Description: Necromancers are magical practitioners who have embraced the Darkness within them instead of hiding from it, some even say they are evil because of it. Spirit Sight allows Necromancers to see the unseen around them. Both the physical, magical, and the dead around them.
Damage: N/A
Passive Effect 1: Allows the caster to see in magical darkness.
Passive Effect 2: Allows the caster to see overt threads of magic around them.
Passive Effect 3: Increase the chance that you will detect magical Wards, Sigils, hidden magic including traps/mines, and to see through Illusion Magic and Stealth by 10%.
Effect 4: Increase the chance that you will detect magical Wards, Sigils, hidden magic including traps/mines, and to see through Illusion Magic and Stealth by 20%.
Effect 5: Allows Necromancers to see the Spirit World around them and the dead that are not corporeal.
AoE: N/A
Range: Sight
Duration: Until Canceled
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 5 Spirit per Second
Cooldown: N/A

Ability Unlocked: Put to Rest
Ability Type: Active
Description: Necromancers can Raise or Summon almost any type of Undead given enough time, but they also know how to get rid of them when necessary. With this Ability, you can force the Undead back to rest.
Damage: N/A
Effect: Dismiss Raised or Summoned Undead.
AoE: N/A
Range: 10 Yards
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

<<<System Alert>>>
[collapse]

"Finally!" I looked over at Ruby, slightly confused as she rolled her eyes. She produced an elaborate belt, "This is for you, the Seer had it made for you when she first saw you mucking around with everything." she explained as she pushed it into my hands. It was ornate, with black runes inscribed into it, with the symbol of Hades sewn into it. I concentrated and pulled up its stats and nearly dropped it.

Spoiler

Armor Name: Baldric of Dark Fury
Armor Type: Modified-Light Armor; Dragon Skin, Ebonweave, Black Silk, Silver Thread, Black Opal; Belt
Armor Class: Ancient Artifact; Scalable-Unique
Equipment Slot: Waist
Base Defense: 50
Quick Access Slots: 8
Primary Effects...
--- +15 Intelligence
--- +15 Spirit
--- +10 Constitution
--- +10% Resistance to Blunt, Piercing, and Slashing Damage
--- +20% Resistance to Poison Damage
--- +5% Critical Hit Chance with Plague and Shadow-based Spells
Secondary Effects...
--- Decrease the Cost of Plague and Shadow-based Magic by 5%
--- +10% Damage with Duration based Spells
--- Class Restricted: Necromancer

'Fear the fury of the Dark, for it is patient and its adherents can wait to unleash their wrath upon their enemies.'

[collapse]

"Seer?" Rob asked and I looked at the Ranger before shaking my head.

"Don't ask, that's just another rabbit hole you don't want to go digging into," I told the Ranger as I donned the belt and felt a slight jolt like I just chugged a coffee. No wonder the capsules were expensive if it increased the feelings of all your senses, then again, I was sure that the pain would be amplified as well. I pulled up the list of my current unlocked Talents, of them, only a few had been changed and they were all the Passive Talents such as Dark Adept and Shadow's Strength. I dismissed the information and opened up my Talent Tree's, with Level twenty came a new tier of Talents not to mention a new Talent Tree.

  Shadow's Power Talent Tree  
Bolt of Darkness (Level 2)   Void Shield (Level 1)
Drain (Level 1) Shadow Touch (Level 2)
  Bog of Darkness (Level 2)
Pestilence (Unlocked)
  Grasp of the Damned (Unlocked)

Pestilence was an odd spell, it was a single target DoT but like any good disease, it could be transferred to nearby enemies while the primary target was suffering the Debuff. Grasp of the Damned was a single target root spell, Bog of Darkness was better overall but Grasp of the Damned stopped a single target it didn't slow them like the other spell.

  Shadow's Balance Talent Tree  
Shadow Sight (Level 1)   Dark Adept (Level 2)
    Shadow's Strength (Level 2)
Blink through Darkness (Unlocked)   Aura of Darkness (Unlocked)

Blink through Darkness was a short-range teleport spell allowing the caster to move almost anywhere. Aura of Darkness, like Dark Adept, was both a passive and active talent. It caused mindless Undead to ignore the Necromancer, so if I ran across any skeletons or zombies, they wouldn't attack me on sight. More importantly, it would help any companions to avoid conflict with them as well. The active component would increase my Minions Armor and Damage while they were within range. I flipped to my new Tree to see what I could do there.

  Grave Lord Talent Tree  
Raise Skeletal Minions (Unlocked)   Skeletal Mastery (Unlocked)

I frowned at what I could see, it wasn't much but I was sure that at higher Levels the tree would expand greatly. Raise Skeletal Minions allowed me to raise simple Skelton's to fight for me and as my Level increased the number and type would as well. Skeletal Mastery increased my Minions Armor, Damage, and the Experience they gained. I had seven Talent Points and six new Talents that had been unlocked.

Pestilence was a no-brainer, as were Blink through Darkness and Aura of Darkness. I quickly unlocked all three and concentrated on the two Talents from the Grave Lords Talent Tree. Each Minion required five points into Intelligence, between my natural Attribute and my equipment, I had 159 Intelligence, which meant I could Raise up to 31 Skeletal Minions. Yet the Talent also required me to bank 25 Spirit per Minion which would eat about half of my Spirit Pool to maintain all of them. I closed my eyes and gave myself a mental shake, and invested two points into each Talent before closing out the Talent Tree's to review my new spells.

Spoiler

Shadow's Balance...
Tier III
Talent Name: Aura of Darkness
Talent Level: 1
Talent Type: Passive/Active
Talent Description: As a Necromancer, your body will begin to exude the Shadow energies you wield. The Undead will sense this and unless provoked, will not attack you on sight. If you trigger the activate the active component of this Talent, you can strengthen your Undead Minions and higher levels you can even heal them while dealing damage to your enemies.
Passive Effect 1: The mindless Undead will not attack you on sight.
Passive Effect 2: The mindless Undead will find your presence calming decreasing the chance they will attack your allies and minions by 10% + (Intelligence X 0.05).
Effect 3: Increase Minion Damage and Armor by (5%) for those within (15) Yards.
Restriction: Raised Minions of enemy Necromancers, Death Knights, and Dark Rangers are immune to the effects of Aura of Darkness.
AoE: 5 Yards
Range: Self
Duration: Until Cancelled
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: Initial 500 Spirit, Bank 100 Spirit for Duration
Cooldown: N/A

Talent Name: Blink through Darkness
Talent Level: 1
Talent Type: Active
Talent Description: A Necromancer is a master at harnessing darker powers. With this spell, you can slip through shadows and darkness over short distances instantly.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Instantly move anywhere you want to.
Effect 2: Remove any Stun Debuffs.
Effect 3: 50% Chance to break any Movement Impairing Debuffs.
AoE: N/A
Range: 15 Yards
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 75 Spirit
Cooldown: 45 Seconds

Shadow's Power...
Tier III
Talent Name: Pestilence
Talent Level: 1
Talent Type: Active
Talent Description: A Necromancer can command disease and death. With this spell, you can infect an enemy with a virulent disease that eats away at their health constantly.
Damage: 30 + (SS X 0.05) Plague Damage per Second
Effect 1: Targeted Enemy will suffer Plague Carrier Debuff, (15%) chance enemies within (10) Feet of the target will be infected with Pestilence. Enemies infected will not suffer Plague Carrier Debuff.
Effect 2: 15% Chance that enemies will suffer Weakened Flesh Debuff decreasing their Constitution and Endurance by 10%. (Duration 30 Seconds)
Range: 60 Yards
Duration: 30 Seconds
Cast Time: 3 Seconds
Cost: 75 Spirit
Cooldown: 45 Seconds

Grave Lord...
Tier I
Talent Name: Skeletal Mastery
Talent Level: 2
Talent Type: Passive
Talent Description: Your Minion, it doesn't matter if they are few or an army, are essential for your survival and continued growth. With this Talent, your Skeletal Minions will be stronger dealing more damage to your enemies and helping ensure your survival.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Increase your Minions Damage by 25%.
Effect 2: Increase your Minions Armor by 25%.
Effect 3: Increase your Minions Experience gains by 15% per Kill.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Talent Name: Raise Skeletal Minions*
Talent Level: 2
Talent Type: Active
Talent Description: A Necromancer, has Mastery over the Undead. With this spell, a Necromancer can Raise Skeletal Type Minions to serve them. As the Necromancer Level increases, so will the number and type of Minions they can Raise.
Requires: A mass-grave, Graveyard, Cemetery, Crypt, Catacombs, Burial Mound, or 1 Humanoid Corpse per Undead.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Raise Skeletal Undead to serve your will. (Currently Unlocked: Skeletal Warrior/Archer)
Effect 2: Raised Minions Level will start at (25%) of Summoners Character Level.
Effect 3: Raised Minions can unlock up to (2) Skills and (2) Abilities, not including Proficiencies and Racial Skills and Abilities.
Restriction 1: Can raise (1) Skeleton per (5) Intelligence.
Restriction 2: Max Level of Skeletal Minions is Character Level + (Intelligence X 0.1)
Range: N/A
Duration: 72 Hours or Destroyed
Cast Time: 1 Second
Cost: Initial 50 Spirit per Undead, Bank 25 Spirit per Undead.
Cooldown: N/A

Note* Undead suffer Debuffs from direct light that decreases their Attributes as well as degrades them. After being raised, Minions will degrade fully after (3) days and cannot be raised again. Semi-Sentient and fully Sentient Undead are resistant to degradation but still suffer Debuffs.

[collapse]

I finished reading, the limitations of the Raise Skeletal Minion made sense, Paramount didn't want a powerful Necromancer to go off and conquer the world one village at a time. There had to be checks and the degradation effect on Undead Minions was it. I quickly donned my new belt and pulled out the Cloak of Darkest Night I had found back in the Lost Dark Conclave and pulled up the hood. "Holy shit, batman. You got the whole evil overlord thing going for you." Rob quipped.

I chuckled and noticed Ruby blush as she looked at me, "We got a shrine to raid, I can raise thirty-one Minions, so who wants to help me find some bodies?" I asked as Penny's mouth dropped open when she heard how many Undead, I could command. I shook my head at her reaction, she had no idea what I was capable of. This was just the beginning not to mention I was sitting on twenty-five Free Attribute Points. 

6