Book II: Chapter 3 – A Town by the Lake
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

THE month of Faliṣyam had passed, and the second week of Cayāryam had come; summer arrived with full force. The sun was bright as always, yet that day was scorching on the grass plains. The group had passed a long distance from the edge of the Cedar Forest.

In that time, the others had slowly warmed up to Nakthaḥm and it was not long before they saw him as one of their own, even if there was still a little distrust concerning him. They were now almost at their destination, and yet Vrihkhaḥ could barely move. The group slogged alongside him, and he could not muster the strength to carry them. Tūmbṃār seemed to be the only one with energy, though he was sweating harder than the rest. He looked behind to see the three dragging themselves forward and panting. He squinted and then shook his head.

“Come, friends! It’s not that hot. I expected you to have more energy than this.”

Nakthaḥm took off his coat and fanned the wolf who was glad for the light breeze. “Speak for yourself, child! This form may have benefits, yet bearing the full force of the sun is not one of them. Should we ever meet Samiztrahaḥ, I would gladly beat him for this test of endurance that he has dealt us!”

The princess laughed. “You speak as if you’ve already seen him before. I much doubt a demon could ever gain an audience with him.”

“O princess, long have I lived and let me say, that the Dehaḥṃār have not always sat on their lofty thrones. There was indeed a time where we all stood as equals before the great progenitor, Ishvhaḥṃār. Yet having said this, it is true that I have not met him, but given the artifacts we are searching for, it may only be a matter of time before we come to his presence. I shall be counting on you, Tūmbṃār to release my shackles when that time comes.” He paused and then continued, “And the maiden as well, should we ever find her.”

Tūmbṃār stuck out his tongue. “Oh, we’ll find her, but you’ll stay bound for as long as I want.”

“No trust in your friend I see,” sighed Nakthaḥm.

 


 

The path led them to a large grass hill, surrounded by many mounds, and though they wished not to climb it, the way around seemed much longer than going atop, so they relented and continued upward. At its summit, they could at last see a walled town in the distance, a high structure coated in white, and the massive lake behind it. The lake seemed to stretch to all sides like a sea, and no end could be seen. There was no blood and Tūmbṃār still felt a little cheated even though such a thing should have well been out of his expectations. But the sight of what was surely the castle made more than up for it.

They rushed to the walls to escape the heat. Upon reaching it, they saw two armored guards holding long curved swords. Their armor was quite plain, not as grand as the armor that the statues of Siḍhrehḷūr bore: a helmet, a haphazard cuirass of dull bronze and iron, bits and pieces of metal padding along the middle of their arms and legs, and a fhorlia covered by a scaled skirt. Yet the boy was still much satisfied, caring more for seeing new things rather than for the sake of its quality.

Just as the group was about to approach the gate, the guards held their swords out and blocked their entrance.

“State your business, foreigners!” they shouted before looking up and quivering in fear at the sight of Vrihkhaḥ.

Feyūnhaḥ was much surprised that they would stop them before entering. Usually, inspections were held in the interior of the gate.

She stepped forward and spoke, saying, “We have come on a pilgrimage. We shall stay here for a few days, waiting for a friend before embarking toward the mountains past the Viprūyavās: The Lake of Blood.”

The guards, while still fearful, glared at her. “I have not seen your kind before, from where do you hail? And why do you travel with a man, a boy, and this – large beast?”

Vrihkhaḥ snarled and bared his sharp teeth, and the guards squealed.

Feyūnhaḥ answered. “I am an Autirsāh hailing from Siḍhrehḷūr deep in the Cedar Forest. I met these three when they came to my home, but for reasons I cannot state, we have journeyed here to hopefully reconvene with our friend before continuing on our pilgrimage to the mountains.” She then looked about her and then gently said, “I do not mean to rush your inspection, but we have been in the heat for a long while, and I much doubt our friend would like to be kept out here longer. There’s little I can do should he go wild. He may even devour you to take refreshment from your blood.”

The boy and the demon nodded in agreement. And looking up to the wolf, the guards could see he was now salivating, and in a fluster said, “Go in, go in! But keep the – wolf? in check. Grave things shall befall you should anything happen to the townsfolk.”

But this threat meant little when even they were unsure of how they would handle Vrihkhaḥ.

The princess bowed and responded, “You have my word, soldiers.”

The gate opened, and they waited in a small line to undergo inspection. When it was their turn, the inspector looked up and saw the massive wolf. Without hesitation, he said, “I have seen my fair share of beasts, the last one being some many years ago, but none quite like him. Regardless, he cannot enter the city; he must stay here.”

Tūmbṃār immediately said, “That won’t do! He has to come with us, and we plan on crossing the lake and the river to the mountains!”

The inspector leaned forward, and the boy took notice of his long mustache. “Listen, child, even you must show some respect for your fellow Ṃārhaḥn. Do you think it wise to bring such a large wolf into the town and not have them be fearful of him? You and your friends may be able to bear him, but I can’t say the same for the townsfolk.”

The boy remained silent, unable to answer.

“But you need not worry. We shall escort the wolf around the perimeter of the town when you decide to leave.”

This made the boy a little happier, and Vrihkhaḥ was satisfied.

The guard then faced the rest of the group and continued, “I see no problems in letting you enter but be warned that there have been people missing as of late, and it has put the guard and the lord of this domain on edge. See to it that you do not arouse suspicion.”

The princess and demon heeded those words and after giving details about their stay, the door behind the inspector opened and they were let through.

They beheld a town, the buildings of which were tall and cylindrical and fashioned out of fine stone and glass. And though the road was also fashioned of stone, it was smooth, and nary a bump or crease could be felt along its surface. Along the spiraling streets were many tall black lamp posts with large fillings of oil.

The men who walked were dressed in either loose shirts and baggy pants or sarongs, while the women dressed in simple gowns that draped to their ankles, some having thin cloth swaying from their heads. There were few dressed like the boy—not to mention the princess and demon—and even among the foreigners who entered, they stuck out quite a bit. The three cared little to blend in, however. Tūmbṃār gazed in awe, and almost as soon as the crowd dispersed, he hastened through the spiraled street. The princess quickly caught up with him and grabbed him by the neck of his shirt.

“Have you already forgotten we’re searching for Iḷēhaḥ?”

“Can’t we search for her and see the town? I haven’t seen another place like this; in fact, this is probably the first town of my folk that I’ve seen. Nothing near the mountains of my village looks quite like this!”

“Well, you needn’t be hasty; more towns and even cities of this like you’ll see on your travels – many much grander. Depending on the direction we take, we may even end up in Trdsyḷūr, the grandest of cities on this continent. My! how I would like to go there again; matches for the annual Royal Game8 should commence in a month!”

Tūmbṃār did not doubt her, but even so, he was eager to see the sights. Then Nakthaḥm came to his side and said, “I suspect we shall have to scour the city in any case. The maiden shall not make it easy for us to find her if avoiding us is her intention. You will get your wish yet, boy. You need only be patient for now.”

Having been mesmerized by the town, he had forgotten all about that and quickly relented.

After walking through the streets and asking many passersby about the maiden in the wedding raiment, they were at a loss. Many ignored them, and the ones who did humor them had no recollection of her. They then made their way to a Triahkṣhel, a triangular roofed structure with open sides, mainly for public gatherings, on the east side of the city.

Here, they sat on the stone floor next to a circular wooden table. The boy found the space reminiscent of like structures in his village that were used for shade and rest. Many travelers and traders often used them as they passed through the village and indeed, they had the same function in other places, albeit with more conveniences. Tūmbṃār would often ask the travelers resting there of stories of the outside. Many were often too tired to humor him, but the few who did left a big impression, enough for him to press his mind even more on traveling, with or without his curse.

The three discussed what they should do as the food was brought their way. An overflowing scent of spices wafted in their direction. The boy salivated, for he was famished and wanted readily to gorge on a meal that did not consist of just berries, nuts, and leaves.

As the plates were set down they heard a voice quite near to them. “Such wonderful dishes. May I partake with you fine folk?”

They looked to their side and saw a tall man standing more than seven feet. Yet he possessed some unusual qualities. His face was like that of a monkey, and he had a tail that stretched the length of his legs. His body was covered in fur though it was thin, while his top was bare, with his legs covered in similar dressing to that of Tūmbṃār. Yet the bottom of the pants was tied to the top in a dangling knot, and on his back was fastened a long wooden staff painted red and yellow, the colors gleaming in the sun.

He seated himself next to Nakthaḥm on the other side of the table and looked ready to pounce on their meals, but the demon covered his own hand and stretched a long nail straight in front of the monkey-man.

“Do not dare to touch our food! We have journeyed quite a ways, and this body of mine yearns for this sustenance. You would be wise to heed me.”

The monkey-man smiled and laughed. “And heed I shall!” He then brought his voice to a whisper. “To think a child, a demon, and an Autirsāh are traveling together.”

The boy then interjected, “And a large wolf!” to which the monkey-man laughed.

“What brings strange folk like you together here? This is quite an interesting development for me, at least. And no doubt you’ve gotten quite suspicious looks from others.”

On that point, he was not wrong. Many looked at them quite odd since they arrived, and perhaps that could have been one of the reasons why they failed in gathering information. If the townsfolk were to know what they sought, it would not be in their best interest to disclose it to strangers who looked so much different to them, especially in current circumstances. Their presence, unfortunately, garnered suspicion.

“It’s quite a shame. The folk here tend to have been quite amicable in the many years I’ve passed through here. Though with recent events, I can see why they would be cautious.”

Nakthaḥm became increasingly vexed and brought the nail toward the monkey man’s neck. “So, what will you do if we are to tell you? I would not like my meal to be postponed any longer. You best be quick with your words! I have many ways of cleaning up people who bother me.”

The monkey-man was unfazed and continued, “Well, I overheard that you were searching for a companion of yours. And I think I happen to know of whom you speak. But no more will I say until my belly is satisfied. I too am quite hungry and having run out of coins, and things to barter with, not even I can buy myself my own meals. So, now I turn to you. Will you feed me to help you to find her?”

Nakthaḥm receded his nail, and the princess spoke, “Well, if what you say is true, then we have little choice. What would you like to eat?”

The monkey-man was delighted and ordered a platter of various dishes. One could say that during that moment, his appetite exceeded that of the boy. Tūmbṃār puckered his lips in disgust when taking notice of the way the monkey-man ate with both his hands. Both the princess and demon laughed.

The monkey-man was perplexed by the strange expression. “What’s the matter, boy? Do I look strange?”

The boy sighed. “What’s the matter with you people? Don’t you have a single bit of decency while eating?”

The monkey-man looked to his hands and then back at the boy and immediately laughed alongside the princess and demon. “Ah! One can say I’ve never been much for table manners. And I would assume the same for your two companions.”

“He is quite peculiar when concerning such things,” said Nakthaḥm as he clicked his nails. “The last I heard of ones complaining about my eating habits was back in the Lower Realms. For all the malice and impropriety one would suspect of my kin, they would mostly adhere to superficial matters such as these.”

“Though I’d say it’s quite unbecoming of us to act in such a manner,” said Feyūnhaḥ. “Perhaps we should try eating more respectfully. I know at least the retainers and servants at home would be more than happy to see such a change.”

“Speak for yourself, lady!” said the monkey-man as he gorged on his meal. “I have no intention of changing my habits! I much enjoy eating like this.” He then paused and continued, “Oh forgive me, I haven’t yet given my name. I’m called Sanyhaḥmān, and as you’ve no doubt already noticed, I am a Vachūṇaṃār hailing from the Eastern continent, Pedyṃhaḥ. You could say I’m a traveler of sorts, though there is purpose behind it. I search for the purest form of liquor known as the Vaisvyamhaḥ, said to be the richest nectar only meant for the highest of Gods. Though it would seem in the legends that not even they partake in it regularly and that its location remains now much a mystery to them.”

The princess was surprised and responded, “Setting aside tales, were our companion here, I’d think the both of you would have much to speak about. She is quite the drinker herself and has a certain fondness for Svyamhaḥ.”

“Does she now?” said Sanyhaḥmān as he cleaned his teeth. “She seemed rather distant when we conversed, so I know little in the way of her interests.”

The boy slammed his hands on the table, raising himself, and asked, “You talked to her? Where did she go?”

“Aye, she seemed quite out of place around here given her dress. Many suspected her to be a newlywed that was lost. I met her a week ago as she was headed toward the Fiyukthi and asked if she would like to eat with me. She saw little reason to refuse, and we came over here and specifically sat at this exact table. I, of course, having no money, asked her to pay for me.”

The three then shook their heads, feeling they had been swindled.

“The maid took notice of her dress and congratulated her. And she seemed quite flustered from that but also reminiscent. You’d think she would’ve been used to it by now. Well, save for her qualities, she seemed normal. Though there was little I could understand of her, and she wouldn’t open up to me. The only thing I know of is that she intended to go to the mountains in the distance. We then parted ways here, and I haven’t seen or heard of her since.”

Sanyhaḥmān’s words calmed Tūmbṃār but sadness remained. Feyūnhaḥ and Nakthaḥm thought for a bit before he spoke, “Well I’d suspect she visited the Fiyukthi before leaving, so you might as well inquire there as to her whereabouts, though I doubt she remains in Viprūtaram.”

The boy then scooped all the leftovers on to his plate and devoured them with one gulp. “Let’s go, friends!”

 


 

In the center of the town stood a tall, tiered structure with steps encircling the perimeter toward its summit. It too was made of stone, yet like many of the buildings about, it was smooth all around, and great distance was put between it and everything else, no doubt for the dome-shaped temple resting at its base of whose size was much greater than they anticipated. Taking off their sandals, they made inside and rung the overhanging bell three times each. They sat there in silence, looking at the thirty-three statues that lifted their hands high toward the orange-red light emitted from the oculus. They then climbed barefoot along the exterior stairs, and as they did so, they could see the sun setting in the distance. The golden purple wash issued from the dusk covered the town in a radiant glow and made it all the more beautiful.

At the top stood five priestesses and three priests who chanted at the flames of the Fiyukthi and cast oblations into it. The fires danced and sparkled with each sacrifice, and the boy was once more enamored. One of the priestesses then took notice and stood to face them. The priests and priestesses, like the ones from Siḍhrehḷūr, covered themselves from head to toe, adorned in long robes with a mask, albeit colored and patterned differently. In particular, her mask was inset with many marks and patterns, many as spirals that coursed along its length. She folded her hands in prayer and bowed.

She took them to the edges of the platform and asked, “Have you come to seek blessings, travelers?”

“Yes and no,” said Feyūnhaḥ as she bowed in likewise manner. “We’ve come seeking information as to our friend’s whereabouts. She adorns a white and red raiment that looks much like a wedding dress and is possessed of silver hair and crimson eyes. We heard that she had come to the city and planned on meeting her here before ascending the mountains. Do you happen to know if she’s still here?”

“Oh, so you are on a pilgrimage, blessings of the Gods be upon you!”

She then threw some basil water on top of each member and chanted before them.

When she finished, she said, “I know of whom you speak, but I cannot say as to whether she remains here or not. A week ago, she came here and prayed, but curiously she was approached by the high priest. They chatted for a while before he escorted her away. Perhaps he would have the information you seek.”

Tūmbṃār then stepped forward and asked, “Where’s the high priest? Can we see him?”

The priestess bent in front of Tūmbṃār and said, “We do not currently know where he is, child. He comes and goes as he pleases and tends to be very busy. You may be able to find him at his quarters toward the west end of the city where the Servants lodge, but I was not given any word of his return. He has been away for quite some time since your friend passed here. I am sorry not to be able to help more.”

The boy shook his head and patted her shoulder with a smile. Feyūnhaḥ slapped the back of his head and chided him on his lack of manners as the others laughed. The display made even the priestess giggle.

The princess then sat on her knees and bent to the priestess’s feet, resting her head on them. The priestess then brought her up and tapped a golden crown atop her head, and she did the same for the rest of the group. She gave some final prayers, and the group bowed to her before making their way down the stairs. But suddenly, a large band of soldiers emerged from there and encircled the entire platform.

A man who stood nearly eight feet came center and glared at each member of the group. He was armored differently than the rest, with steel pads, a breastplate, and armored shins covered by the same-style fhorlia but heavily scaled from top to bottom. His eyes were keen and his head bald, and a long mustache trailed along the sides of his face.

Tūmbṃār did all he could to suppress his laughter, but the man took notice and held him up with one hand on his shirt.

“Do you dare mock me, boy?” shouted the man.

The group, now on edge, positioned their hands behind them with their heads hung low. Feyūnhaḥ readied herself to grab the boy should things go afoul.

Tūmbṃār however, was not frightened nor caught off guard and, in fact, gave a smile. “I didn’t intend to, but that mustache of yours is quite funny; even the inspector had one just like it. It reminded me of some of the villagers back home. They had a curious obsession with growing it but ever refusing to grow a beard.”

The menace surrounding the man vanished, and his face, while stern, looked just a bit calmer. “So, I take it that you four are the travelers?”

The group bowed and responded in affirmation.

The soldier put the boy back on the ground and said, “Though you are still a child, be wary of your lack of respect. It could very well get you in trouble one day.” He turned to Feyūnhaḥ and gently pushed the boy to her. “See to it that you discipline him.”

The princess immediately pulled Tūmbṃār to the ground and positioned him in a bowing stance. He did not like to be told what to do, but did not resist, and the princess hoped he would come around sooner than later.

The soldier pulled out a scroll, but before reading it, he said, “I am the captain of this troop and have been dispatched by the lord of the town to address you folk as to the current state of this domain. Be wise and heed all the words that are upon this scroll.

“As many of you know, there have been disappearances as of late. There have been a total of thirty-two commoners and aristocrats who have vanished in the past months and now the lord’s daughter is one of them. No more shall the lord remain idle and let this kidnapper remain at large.

“From this moment onward, the gates shall be locked, and none shall enter or leave. With the disappearance of his daughter, this restriction shall not be lifted until her safe retrieval. However, a reward of three thousand gold coins shall go to whoever shall secure her. All who fail to heed this demand shall be jailed for no shorter than three months.”

Putting away the scroll, he stood resolute and continued, “I hope that you shall help in recovering the missing persons.”

He turned back, and with his soldiers in tow, they left the platform and descended the stairs. The group stood silent, dumbfounded over this unexpected turn of events.

1