Book III: Chapter 11 – A Respite in the Baths
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WHEN they reached the upper level, the King and his retinue took their leave and the others made to the baths near the inn, and soaked themselves in the steaming water. The reservoir, vast as it was with its edges extending many hundred of yards, was heated evenly across much to the comfort of those bathing. The water was held by finely cut stone and brick held together with bitumen in concentric fashion. Spiraling out from it were seven curved paths that drained the excess water coming from a stone tube held aloft in the center stretched towards the ceiling. And about the entire perimeter were gentle sloped ramps wrought of tuff, polished to such a degree that its surface was smooth to the touch.

They then saw that the wolf and monkey were sleeping in the bath—not too far from where they settled—and to have some fun, they took some buckets, cooled the water, and splashed their faces. Immediately, the two woke up.

“Nakthaḥm! And the rest of you!” Sanyhaḥmān looked to himself, and said, “And I was asleep!” His body was pruned, his skin reddened, and his fur so thoroughly soaked that as he lifted himself from the bath, his body drained the excess water like a fountain and it spilled all across the floor. “Well, me and the wolf shall take our leave; we’ve been here much too long, and I don’t think the heat should bother us any more. But this water is going to take some time to drain.”

“Make merry friends!” said Nakthaḥm, laughing. “Sanyhaḥmān, would you like me to drag you to the room? It seems only fitting, as you did so to me on my way here.”

“I think you’d use me to wipe the surface. No, thank you very much! We’ll be on our way, enjoy the baths, but be sure to not fall asleep in them. The heat is very tempting.”

“We won’t,” said Tūmbṃār. And imitating the Gazhigam, he said, “I did learn my lesson before with mine and thy companion, Iḷēhaḥ!”

“Yes, but do not think I shall not scrub you down at this moment,” said the maiden, after which Tūmbṃār pleaded he would do it himself, feeling embarrassed.

Iḷēhaḥ reluctantly let him do as such as she handed him some of the wooden cleanser containers.

The others laughed at that, but the Gazhigam around them seemed little pleased with their antics. And to add to their troubles, the wolf licked the others and exited while ruffling its fur and splashing torrents of water upon all who were there. The servants now were none too happy over the additional work added to them, and reeled in disgust at the monkey and wolf who gaily went their way.

While the others relaxed in the bath without a sign of worry, Nakthaḥm noticed that Aiṛth did not take off her clothes. Holding her left hand above her head and her right hand cupped in front of her chest, she submerged herself into the water seven times, muttering some prayers.

Nakthaḥm found this quite peculiar, and asked, “Why do you not enter the baths bare, priestess? I assume you are performing a ritual, but odd it seems that you should keep your clothes upon yourself in such fine waters. Is there some custom of which I am unawares concerning you?”

When she finished her prayers she walked out of the bath, and sat upon the edge. She looked his way, and said, “O Great Yavhaḥṃār, there is a saying in the Vādrunṃs: ‘Lavish us the Ṛthya, but guard always Aiṛthya’. And seeing that I Strive to be Infinite in all my Purposings, should I not then protect myself?”

“Well said priestess, well said!” said Nakthaḥm with a smile. “Even I forget at times what is understood from the Hearings of the Zūryashhaḥn. But I am serious when I say I wish to know why you do as such. I am aware that you and those of your order will not take off your masks for reasons unknown to me, but I did not think it extended to all that you bore.”

She waded her legs through the water much like a child and, though she did not show it, she was indeed ecstatic over his question. “To think a Yavhaḥṃār would be interested in such things; well now I know you mean to be serious, I shall tell you! This applies not just to me but to all the priests and priestesses; when chance is presented, we must bathe in the waters three times a day, immersing ourselves seven times in praise of Vreshahaḥ, That God of the Clouds and the Waters. We ask of him to cleanse us for what greater import rests in our order than to be pure in all respects: mind, body, and soul.

“But as to your question of why it is I do not cast aside my clothes when bathing, I did not merely jest when I cited that verse for the priests and priestesses alike must never show themselves to others. And so that is why you see not a bit of my skin creeping through my robes. Perhaps this is merely a symbolic gesture, but I heard the origins of this practice date to the Era of Unification, of which many a fault during that time must be lain on us. In fact, this could be a punishment for the shame we bear for our miscreance concerning the ordeal of Levāñyhaḥ. All my kin who have practiced this do likewise, and will only remove their robes in presence of our family; indeed, we are very secretive of our appearance, but that is as much I can relate.”

“And that enough is fine, Aiṛth,” said Nakthaḥm as he bowed into the waters, “though curious I am to behold your appearance. Perhaps one day you will show us, when such things should have no matter.”

“I do not think such a time shall come soon, but perhaps things may change as I stay beside you all.”

“Put not trust in the Demon, Aiṛth,” said Iḷēhaḥ, “for I am sure ill intentions abode in him. ’Tis in his nature.”

“Perhaps in my kin, but I would have you know I am much noble in my pursuits,” said Nakthaḥm with a grin. “And you have little to worry with the chains that bind my hands and my heart, and speaking of which would you—”

“Nay!” came the response from Tūmbṃār and Iḷēhaḥ.

He sighed and said, “Perhaps one of these days,” to which the priestess laughed.

“But what’re you going to do about bathing without your clothes?” asked Tūmbṃār. “Don’t those clothes make it difficult to wash yourself?”

Aiṛth shook her head and said, “Quite not! these clothes are special, and though I will wash them from time to time, I have no need to take them off to wash myself. We know how it is to cleanse ourselves with or without the use of the powers.”

“Ah, so you have the same ability as Iḷēhaḥ,” said Tūmbṃār as he submerged himself to his nose and foamed the water.

“Oh yes, Sanyhaḥmān told me as such!” said Aiṛth. “O Goddess—I mean Iḷēhaḥ! Would you like to learn from me how it is that I was able to heal Tūmbṃār? I think, nay, I am sure it should prove useful to you!”

“I should very much like that,” said Iḷēhaḥ with a smile.

0