Book III: Chapter 18 – A Departure from the Realm of the Gazhigam
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NEAR the eastern entrance at the wake of dawn, the group gave their farewells to the citizens who had come. The King was very much sorry for yesterday’s affairs—though he and the others were not given the details as to what happened. The group thought little of it, for regardless of what could have been in the drinks, they came out unscathed. The only thing they could complain about was the heat, which left them fatigued.

They were surprised to have found themselves on their beds, and even more so to see that Tūmbṃār remained the only one unaffected. When they pressed him for answers, he would not speak. Vrihkhaḥ, it seemed, had an idea of what had happened, for in the middle of the night, not too far from the cavern he slept in, he was attacked by other aristocrats. Unlike Tūmbṃār, he easily fended off the assailers and sent them scurrying away. The giant serpent seemed either none the wiser or kept her distance, as seemed her wont.

Once more did the King apologize. “I am very much sorry for what had occurred yesterday! I did not think the drinks were strong enough to put us to sleep. The next time ye visit, I shall take greater caution. But alas, to depart so quickly! Will ye not stay for one more day”

“I am sorry, my lord,” said Iḷēhaḥ, bowing, “but we absolutely must be on our way. While we have much time to recover the Dvhaḥṣhtro, we must also gather allies and to do so, we must travel across the continents. Unless it is a must, we cannot afford to linger in one place for long. I hope you can understand.”

“I shall then not keep ye here,” said the King, though saddened. “A promise thou hast given us, more than any we have ever sought. And though I pressured thee, our gratitude knows no bounds.”

He stepped back and the two advisors, Hvarathjās and Drukkuhrhī, stepped forth and kneeled to the group. They held to Iḷēhaḥ a shining crystal, red in color, and Iḷēhaḥ’s eyes widened at what she beheld.

“This cannot be! Is this a gem for the Dvı̄sahlvah?”

“Indeed, it is,” said the King. “Unrefined as it is, for the time it should prove useful in thy journey. When the Central Forest is in reach, thou shouldst indeed come across the domain of the Mrigūhvha. Present the gem, and they shall cut it and infuse it for thee. Think not the Autirsāh are the only ones that can produce the Dvı̄sahlvah, for where dost thou think they had obtained the materials and prowess?”

He then gave a great laugh. They heard footsteps approaching through the crowd and the King looking behind.

He smiled and said, “Ah! He is here. Friends! Dearly I should like to introduce to ye, my son Yūrmatṛtha; for he is named after the White Elephant of Dusdrahaḥ, who from the infinite ocean did arise during the churning of the Vaisvyamhaḥ. He, along with Hvesykhiḥ, shall accompany and guide ye to the Giant in the ruins. While I wish he was with us the night before, and heard all the things ye spoke of, other matters did he have to attend to.”

Yūrmatṛtha stepped forth and bowed. Unlike his father, he spoke in a more straightforward manner. “My father has informed me of your quest, O Agents of the Gods! It is my pleasure to accompany you to the Grahuvizātan. I hope our journey together shall be one of delight!”

“As do I,” said Iḷēhaḥ.

Before setting out, the two advisors approached Tūmbṃār. They prostrated before him and tried to touch his feet. Tūmbṃār leaped back, evading their hands.

“Why dost thou do as such, sir Tūmbṃār?” asked Hvarathjās. “We wish to pay respect to thee as the foremost of the Agents!”

“Don’t!” cried Tūmbṃār looking around himself. “My master will surely punish me were he to find out.” Muttering to himself, he said, “I feel I’ll have to explain this many more times.”

“This master of thine, pray tell us who is such a man? Surely he would let one as righteous as thee to accept due respect.”

Tūmbṃār sighed and explained all relating of his teacher the sage, and his training and restriction that he placed on Tūmbṃār. While the King did not seem phased by the mention of his name from the night before, the advisors and even the son were astounded at the mention of it.

“Is what he says true, father?” asked Yūrmatṛtha.

The King nodded his head and said, “Indeed, though I thought that it was of no importance. These sages come and go as they please.”

“But still, father! You should have mentioned this to me.” He turned to Tūmbṃār and prostrated like the advisors and said, “Disciple of the revered Zūryashhaḥ, please give the sage my regards; great as he is, he has done much for me in the past.”

The boy smiled and said, “Though I don’t think I’ll see him anytime soon, I’ll do so.”

“You have my gratitude, Tūmbṃār.”

The three Gazhigam rose, and Drukkuhrhī said, “Though it is sad to see thee go, I shall pray to the Goddess Ārhmanhaḥ for the success of thy quest.” He then presented to Tūmbṃār a bag filled with coins, “I wish I could offer more of worth, but please, take this bag filled with the coins of the Gazhigam. It is filled with a thousand such each one worth a thousand of the currency of thy realm.”

Sanyhaḥmān, at that moment, was filled with greed for the bag, thinking of all the things—mostly liquor—he could buy with that kind of money.

“It shall surely prove useful in thy journey,” and going to a whisper, “and we give it also as forgiveness for our actions yesterday.”

Tūmbṃār shook his head and pushed the bag away, much to Sanyhaḥmān’s dismay. “All is forgiven; we’re friends now. You don’t owe me anything.”

Drukkuhrhī then held Tūmbṃār’s hand and had him grasp it, much to Sanyhaḥmān’s joy. “That as it may be, accept our gratitude! It will, at the very least, bring us ease and comfort, knowing we shall have done good to thee and thine company.”

Tūmbṃār sighed threw the bag into his sack. He put his hands in prayer and bowed before turning back and walking through the entrance. “Let’s go to the ruins, friends! Goodbye Gazhigam of Gazhigashrahthya, may we meet again!”

“Hey, Tūmbṃār, where are you going with my money?” shouted Sanyhaḥmān as he chased after him.

“‘My money?’” said Nakthaḥm to himself. “Ah, that greed of his! I wonder if he plans on gambling with it whenever it is we reach the next city.”

The group ran after Tūmbṃār, with Yūrmatṛtha and Hvesykhiḥ following behind. They pressed further into the passage, hearing the people shout: That One and All shall manifest in you!

0