Book III: Chapter 25 – A Maiden’s Assistance to the Boy
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AS the group expected, the boats were much cooler. Whatever stone they were crafted with, it did its job well of insulating them from the raging torrents of molten rock. As soon as they disembarked, the boats glowed and, of their own will, rowed gently across the magma. Below their bottoms, it seemed the magma solidified for a moment before once more melting. The vessels kept pace with Hvesykhiḥ’s slithering, and all upon them relaxed.

The stone path stretched far and those within the boats fell into slumber. Iḷēhaḥ alone stayed awake and kept her gaze on Tūmbṃār. He was sweating from head to toe, doing his best to hold on to the elements while pacing back and forth upon the back of the snake.

“Do not try so hard, Tūmbṃār!” shouted Iḷēhaḥ. “Relax yourself. There is little meaning in pushing your body to its limit and dangerous it will be if you were to collapse right now. We do not know if an enemy should creep on us in this passage.”

“Hey, Iḷēhaḥ, what did you do to gain control of the elements?” asked Tūmbṃār. “I don’t understand why, but while I can blow large bursts of air, I can barely hold on to it. Practicing for many months on and off hasn’t helped either.”

She hopped from the boat and tapped her feet on the stone surface before launching herself onto the back of the snake. She put her hands on his shoulders and seated him. The elements ruptured against his legs and it pained him.

“As Feyūnhaḥ said: you must maintain focus. And ’tis not something anyone can teach. Only directions and guidance can be given with the rest to be done by you. I am sure Athruyam has said the same regarding your using the aether.” Tūmbṃār sighed at that. “While I did not figure it out like this, there was an exercise that Feyūnhaḥ had taught me in order to control water and air together. I do not know whether it should help, but ’tis worth a try. Knowing that you must have learned various techniques in both meditation and Yukghaḥm, you shall use that to better your focus.”

She held onto his hands and told him to close his eyes. He did as was bidden of him and she pressed her thumbs into the center of his palms.

“Now release the hold of the elements upon your feet and concentrate just water into the palm.”

The hands became wet as the vapor in the air swirled around the center of his palm. The pain was sharp on Iḷēhaḥ’s hands and she said, “Relax. Maintain a one pointed focus and slow your breathing.”

His inhalation and exhalation slowed, and the vapor now swirled gently. It felt refreshing upon the maiden’s hands. Tūmbṃār kept at this for some time, swirling the water in and around his palm.

Then Iḷēhaḥ let go of his palms, and said, “Now maintain that focus, keeping your arms leveled. And as you do so, course the water along the length of your arms, down through the chest, to the navel, to your hips, then legs, and finally your feet.”

Focus was slowly brought from his palms to his wrists, and then to his arms as his body slowly numbed. He remained frozen and still in place, and looked as if he was barely breathing. And the vapor, en masse, spiraled around each part until reaching the soles of his feet. And when they had done so, Iḷēhaḥ poked him on the head and he immediately opened his eyes. He took a deep breath and looked at her.

“Look at your feet,” she said, smiling.

He looked down and saw the water flowing around them with ease. No more did focus need to be maintained, and he lifted himself up slowly. He paced back and forth on the snake, increasing his speed each round, and found that it was now much easier to control the element, as if it became like an extension of himself.

“I can do it Iḷēhaḥ!” he cried in joy.

“Good! But be not too happy yet. You have yet to do this with air and then with both elements. Fortunate for you, I can only maintain both water and air at once. If I try to use fire or earth or even space together, they would rupture at once. Soon enough, you should be able to overtake me, and maybe even Feyūnhaḥ.”

He paused and thought for a bit. “Why didn’t Feyūnhaḥ tell me about this before? This exercise is like what Athruyam had us do, and even teacher made me do something similar but not to this extent.”

“It might have had to do with the fact that you are better equipped to handle offensive arts. The line of reasoning regarding that differs from passive and defensive use. But it does not mean you can not learn both.” With a hint of sadness in her voice, she continued, “It could also be that you were much too distracted in chasing after me and only now were you able to calm yourself. Had she attempted to teach this before, you would have very well suffered from the exercise due to lack of concentration.” She then brought herself closer to his face and said, “Keep not a restless mind, we now have a duty; whatever comes shall come but do not let such thoughts assail you any further.”

Tūmbṃār was hesitant over her words, for she spoke as if more ill should befall them: ill that could not be dealt with. When Iḷēhaḥ asked if he understood her words, he answered, “Why do you speak as if you’ll disappear again? Why speak of such things. Shouldn’t we do our best to stay together as long as possible.”

She ruffled his hair, and said, “I never said that it is not what we should do. But what would it do you to worry over such things? If you wish things to hold as they are, you must be able to rely on your own power and, to do so, you must set such worrisome thoughts aside. Do not waver in your resolve, for in the heat of battle, perhaps even in life itself, it shall only lead to your doom.” She then looked him straight in the eyes. “Did you not say you would deliver me?”

“Yes!” he said with confidence.

“Then continue as you are. Affix your concentration to your training. Listen to those who train you, doubt not their words or your ability, for I tell you, the mind and body are more powerful than one thinks. Have faith in yourself, and repeating myself once more: keep not a restless mind. We now have a duty; whatever comes shall come, but do not let such worrisome thoughts assail you any further.”

He took her words to heart and continued on with coursing the elements one by one from his palms to his feet as the group now entered a darkened passage lit only by the magma.

0