Book III: Chapter 45 – A Captain of the Royal Guard
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IN the debauchery of Hirmān and Sanyhaḥmān, they had caused a ruckus in one too many brothels, and Tūmbṃār was not all the least excited about that given what Iḷēhaḥ or even his master would do to him were they to find out (but it was not as if he was not interested in what lay in such degenerate places).

They had entered their last establishment for the day, one that looked much like a temple, multi-tiered and even adorned in all manners of carvings. The Servants were likely to have taken offense to this, but they had little power to remove it by themselves. The three of them had been taken to the uppermost level, furnished with patterned carpets and curtains, and filled with the most beautiful women and men that the boy had seen.

Tūmbṃār had sat silently with his head hung down as the women were attending to his drunken escorts. He had closed his eyes and muttered some prayers to keep himself preoccupied with more wholesome thoughts, and when that did not work, he tried to meditate. It had proved to no avail, as the lascivious men and women—in what was a very pristine place—teased him to no end. He was about to storm out in rage and utter embarrassment when at that moment the door came crashing down!

The woman—who was now before them—came in with heavy steps and dragged away the drunken Hirmān with her. He gave little resistance, for he was ready to go unconscious. She had given a smile to Sanyhaḥmān and Tūmbṃār, and said to Sanyhaḥmān, “You had best bring the child out of here before the other guards arrest you. It seems the boy is at his limit as well.”

And no sooner than that did Sanyhaḥmān toss some gold coins in the air and bounce from the area with Tūmbṃār in tow.


“I have yet to introduce myself,” she said as she stood up, downing some more Svyamhaḥ. She put her hands in prayer and bowed, “My name is Erezuri: for I am to be Forthright in all manners that concern me. I am captain of the royal guard of Vālukyāvaḷūr!”

And with her before them as their jailer, Tūmbṃār gulped, wondering what was to come. Sanyhaḥmān sighed, seeing as he would not be able to take his prize with him, the guards having already confiscated it with whatever money he had put down.


They took the central road toward the palace. It shined like a pristine jewel upon its moat in the center of the oasis. Unlike the other palaces and castles they had seen thus far, this one seemed quite conservative. It had seemingly only one of two levels possessed of a great dome and an upper courtyard. But stepped in between each of the levels were hanging gardens, with palm trees, ceders, roses, acacia, iris and saxaul, whose scents wafted in the air.

The white blocks of stone path reflected in the sun, and the two of them could barely keep their eyes open as they crossed the bridge to the outer garden. When on the other side, Sanyhaḥmān looked at the gardens and said, “It’s quite strange that we should see these kinds of gardens here of all places.”

“I don’t think they’re that odd or out of place,” said Tūmbṃār. “They’re there across the entire city.”

Sanyhaḥmān shook his head and continued, “That’s not what I meant. This architecture is not native to Trdsyṃhaḥ; it comes from the southern continent, Drgstyṃhaḥ. I didn’t think much of it until now, but for the palace to have it, I should think there’s some connection this place has to elsewhere.” Facing Erezuri, he asked, “Would you know anything of this?”

“I do, but why should I have to speak it to prisoners?”

“You needn’t, but perhaps my lips will loosen on other matters, were you to entertain this request.”

Her lips perked into a smile as she looked to the sun with her hand above. “It was said that some people of the southern kingdom during the War of the Five Brothers were displaced from their homeland when the continents had split. A leader rose among them, and for nearly forty years they walked through what became the ever-expanding desert. Tribulations and deadly creatures assaulted them wherever they went. The flying serpents had grown restless and had even gone as far as taking the people hostage. The valiant among them fended their pursuers and captors, and they, with their people, took flight!

“But even with their escape, the desert would not loosen its grip. It was said that they could see in the passage of the years the expansion of the desert. The vegetation soon became sparse for them, and they were beset by hunger. Many perished on that path, and those who survived took to slaughtering their livestock and feeding on cactus, until at last, they reached this oasis. Their leader was crowned as king, leading to the formation of this city-state. No doubt you have noticed the many Gazhigam in the city. They were the first to see us and helped much in the restoration of our people.

“Many times have I spoken of this to strangers who come to this place. But I wonder if we shall ever leave and go to somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine as it does now. Where it’s more gentle and calm.”

Sanyhaḥmān burst out laughing and said, “Gentle and calm! After what you did last night? You yourself seem to enjoy causing a ruckus.”

And she laughed as well, patting hard against Sanyhaḥmān’s back. “I jest, I jest! I do indeed quite like the bustle of this place, always something new or the other going about. I even have a Vachūṇaṃār and a child detained.”

Sanyhaḥmān and Tūmbṃār returned strained smiles and a weak laugh.

0