Book III: Chapter 51 – A Cave of Stars
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WHEN they had finished their meals, their bellies stuffed after some hundreds of servings, they took a boat that ferried them from the northern district toward the western side where the canal cut through the buildings to feed itself into the vast reservoir of the oasis. The group had only noticed then that there was quite a bit of traffic going through the canal and at the oasis there were many who bathed in the waters around the rim, splashing themselves within seven times with their hands held in prayer towards the high sun. All about the rim were set large palm trees and many fallen coconuts. The water was a fine clear blue and so clean it was that one could drink from it.

As they passed through the oasis, they came to an opening of a cave that was carved finely into an arch. The rippling of the water echoed within as its caustics filled it from top to bottom. Slowly did it darken, but the surface of the walls soon began to glow faintly, as did the water, and looking down, they could see small fish swimming around their vessel down the path they took as if to lead them farther in.

At the end of the path, they came to a large inlaid space where the surface of the roof glittered like stars with a symbol carved in front of them that glowed with the same intensity as the water: a sharp line pointed up with lines on either end that curved toward and past the tip.

The boat was disembarked at the steps and they took the curved stairs to a raised platform to where the symbol was.

Tūmbṃār lined his hands across the symbol and said, “Ah! This is the layout of the city, isn’t it?”

“You have sharp eyes, child,” said Erezuri. “Indeed it is, but we do not know from where it comes. Our forefather was said to how found this symbol carved in the desert upon a smooth stone, that is now washed deep under the sands, and took it as sign of the Gods guidance. A revered symbol it has been for us since then, just as the Symbols of the Gods and the Fiyukthi.”

“It is strange though,” said Hirmān, pondering on it. “Not only I, but many others have felt this symbol to be more familiar than it should. As if we have seen it before. Even others who come to visit here, especially the Gazhigam, seem to find it oddly reminiscent. If there was one thing we were thanked for when Yūrmatṛtha last visited, it was for us showing him this cave.” He then looked to the roof. “The specks of rock that shine upon the ceiling look very reminiscent to the stars above, but I am no astronomer, so I could not say if there is any relation to them.”

“Have you consulted the Servants?” asked Feyūnhaḥ. “They should be well-versed enough in such things to give an answer.”

“Aye, many times they have come here, but they could come to no definite answer. The familiarity is still held, but if specks above really were to mirror the stars, then it is most likely they are not the stars that we know and see in the night sky. But hard it is to fathom why other stars would be set here, knowing the sages of old to project their minds into the depths of space to see what is held there, of what things they could find is beyond me.”

Putting his hand to it once more, Tūmbṃār looked at the symbol and to the roof of the cave and noticed something.

“This might be related to the ruins in the desert,” he said, looking to the others.

“Ruins?” asked Hirmān. “Surely you jest; there could be nothing like that there. Many expeditions have been sent into the heart of it, and nothing of interest could be found.”

“Yes, many ruins did we come across,” said Nakthaḥm. “Though much of it is beneath the surface with detailed murals and writing within a strange script that the Gazhigam use.”

They remained silent. Strange it was for the denizens of the city to not have at least found the dome with the curved pillars. Hard it would be to miss given its size. But they put the matter to rest, unable to come to an answer themselves. They went down to the edge of the water and rested for some time. Feyūnhaḥ, Tūmbṃār, and Sanyhaḥmān rested their legs within the water, where the small fish tickled their legs as they nibbled against it. Their feet also seemed to glow when set inside to the same effect as the water; like lanterns under the wavy surface.

With their business done, and the sun beginning to set outside, they exited the cave and disembarked the boat on a small port on the west side. They walked through the stone-laden streets back toward the palace, all the while unaware that they were being followed by the same soldiers, who cast aside their armor but with their faces still veiled, blending themselves into the crowd. Nakthaḥm, while still vigilant, failed to notice them.

0