Book IV: Chapter 6 – A Story of the Mage II
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“When I heard those words, I realized who this Zūryashhaḥ was, and I immediately said, ‘It’s you! You, along with the other sages, visited me as a child! Why are you here?’

“He simply smiled and said, ‘Well, I had heard that there were some unusual brigands here and I had hoped to put a stop to their activities. But it seems I will not have to, knowing you to be here. So tell me, how goes your search?’

“I didn’t know how to respond. I had scarce given it a thought since I became a patriarch, but at that moment I felt an aching in my heart.

“I said, ‘What is this tension in my chest? Why do I feel as such? Tell me sage what is it that I feel? Surely you must know.’

“He remained silent for sometime as if meditating. A light breeze then came, and he spoke: ‘Do not think the life you have led all this time did not cause you any pain. For all the harm you have caused to others, double that is what you shall receive. But even that alone will not be enough for recompense: you will surely have to suffer in the Hells for a time.’

“I became horrified but put a brave front. ‘Don’t mock me, wise one. I know the other brigands and their families will surely suffer beside me for these sins.’

“His eyes widened, and he laughed. ‘Oh! is that so? I am afraid you are quite mistaken in that regard. How about this child, I will, by oath, stay here upon this rock, while you go to your friends and their families. Speak to them of this and question them if what you have said is true.’

“He then held his hand in a zṣhṭya and said: ‘Upon the name of the Dehaḥṃār and Arhaḥṃār, I shall not move an inch until this child has returned with his news.’ He closed his eyes and smiled. ‘Now go and do as I have said. You should have no need for worry of my disappearing. This alone should be enough to satisfy you.’

“I had thought him a fool for doing as such. There was no guarantee I would return and even if I did, while I would not kill him, I would strip him and send him into the woods as a wild-man. With that scandalous thought in mind, I made to my friends and their families and asked them of this, sure in heart that they would speak true to my words. But lo! it wasn’t as I had expected at all and they even reprimanded me for making mention of it.

“They said, ‘For what reason should we have to suffer for your actions? Descend to the Hells as you please, but do not drag us with you for your follies. We, on the other hand, shall seek absolution for our actions if such a time shall come. And as for the families, well, they have no bearing on this; they may very well have benefited from our misdeeds, but they will not suffer as they were unawares of this—that is until you have mentioned it.’

“And then they chased me out.

“I went back to the sage dejected, who simply said, ‘It was as I said, was it not?’ Then I grew very afraid and prostrated to the sage, begging him to absolve me of the sins I had committed. I had at last regained my former temperament and understood my wrongs. But he said: ‘I can take away but only a little of your sins. The rest will have to be absolved for on your own.’

“And then I beseeched him: ‘Is there not something you can tell me that would help me absolve this?’

“He thought for a bit and smiled. ‘Why indeed there is! And perhaps if you stick with this practice long enough, you shall at last realize the truth.’

“With some newfound resolve, I listened attentively to the following words, ‘From now until you attain realization, chant this mantra—Tṛa Sı̄.’

“And I was bewildered upon hearing this: ‘Is that all that you ask of me, great sage? Surely there must be something more than this. This sounds much too simple for me to attain truth.’

“He held his finger up and said: ‘Only to the ignorant would that seem the case. I tell you: meditate upon that mantra, let its essence fill you in mind, body, and soul and surely will your sins be purged! But be mindful that that alone should not be your goal. Until That is obtained, continue to recite it without ceasing: without food, waste, or sleep. Let your mind be fully fixed and attentive and I promise that you will attain the goal that all the Ārhmaht seek.’

“With those words he left, and I was unsure what to do. I had felt that the sage must have surely been mistaken. After all, how could something so simple be enough to free oneself from sins and even further to attain truth. But I had no other options left if I truly wanted peace.

“And so I sat at that rock and meditated. Without food, waste, or rest, I chanted those two syllables on and on. Then, after a while, I stopped chanting through my mouth and did it through my mind. And then, even longer after, the focus of the syllables changed from Tṛa Sı̄ to Sı̄ Tṛa. I continued this for many, many years. I think at least a thousand or so, by my estimation.”

0