2. Gathering supplies
27 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking home from the camping trip, Ways thoughts raced. She'd made up her mind to leave, she had to. Life here was perfect, so perfect it was killing her. Everything was safe, everything was planned, everything was known, except it wasn't. Hardly anyone knew anything about the world beyond the wall, and Way intended to go there and learn, or die trying on her own terms. the question was, how?

The rusted hole in the wall she'd used when she was younger had been spotted and repaired, and leaving aside finding a physical exit, she wanted freedom, but she couldn't just blindly run into the unknown. What supplies did one bring when running away to live out the rest of their life n=in the wilds? It had never been done before so far as she knew, so she'd have to set the precedent.

Arriving at her home apartment Way stepped into the Maghover lift and spoke "floor eight" at it. As the edge of the circular platform lit up, warning where not to step past for fear of dismemberment, Way got an idea.

The Maghover lifts were used throughout the city, Maghover being a company sponsored by the Cities governing family. it was her homes main claim to fame, and they supplied nearly all of Woodwall's tech, the city's only other export was the handful of crops they'd managed to domesticate from the planet when Woodwall had been only a colony. That had been centuries ago and now no one ventured outside the walls. Way would be the first since.

Stepping out of the lift into the eighth floor Way made her way around the inner walkway connecting all the apartments on each floor to her home. If she'd been paying attention Way would have seen the empty utilitarian grey that surrounded her, but she was too lost in thought. A finger on the print scanner and she was through the door, running to her room, a plan beginning to form in her head.

If she wanted to escape, she'd be left without all the comforts of Woodwall's "perfect life", so she'd need some supplies first. Quickly she dug one of the only data crystals she bothered keeping out of it's dirt clogged cubby, and set it into the socket in her desk which unfolded from the wall when she entered her room. A bright screen materialized up from the surface of her desk, showing a formally digitally printed text filigreed with her numerous crawled notes.

The digital textbook she kept in this data crystal was one she'd gotten at a career fair a few years ago. It was an older document, from when Woodwall was still a colony, when people still went past the wall. Parts of it were very official, but truthfully it was the log of one of the first settlers. The author had been part of the unit studying the local flora and fauna to see if any of it was safe for consumption or would be useful as some other resource. He later compiled the whole unit's findings into this text when the government decided they'd learned all they needed to of their new home, and the walls of Woodwall were made into a more permanent structure.

Way started searching through the text to compile a list of necessities for the trip ahead of her. 

--

a few minutes later Way grabbed her journal and started writing


stuff for the wilds:

1. shelter from elements

2.long lasting food

3.clean water

4.source of heat

5.cutting tool

6.medicine


First thing was first, raid her sister's closet.

Way knew her sister wouldn't be back from work for several hours, and she was not going to waste time and risk changing her mind. Up the Maghover lift she went, then down the hall, and  finger to the scanner and she was in. Her sister worked in clothing design and often got to keep the failed test products. Last month they'd been working on a raincoat for some rich government girl, and the lady had rejected maybe 12 designs before finally picking one she liked.

Way pressed her hand to the translucent door, letting it confirm her as a member of the family from prints, and it slid open with a quiet hiss. Inside her sister's closet, it was mostly monochrome, with a few accents of dull pink that would light up vibrantly when charged. Walking past the outfits that were to big for her, Way spotted the section reserved for her sisters rejected work projects. They were separated by clothing type, and then by material.

In the coats section Way was looking for something durable and waterproof. Sifting through metal mesh, and soft Faux fur, she found something useful. It was white and nearly translucent, with a hood and long sleeves. Putting it on, Way exited the closet and faced the wall next to it. 

"reflection' Way said, and suddenly she could see herself reflected in the now shiny wall. It was a cropped hoodie, but you could hardly tell because it was so oversized on her. Made of velvet soft, thermal Nuovo-silicone, Way was confident it would keep her dry and warm.

'This will do nicely!' She thought, as she took off the coat and folded it up.

--

Safely back in her room, Way crossed shelter off her list. Food was easy, nutrient bars lasted several years before going bad. Water was slightly less so. She couldn't just bring a glass into the wilds.

Way's mom worked in agriculture, so she probably had some useful supplies.

Sorry there's no illustration this chapter, I'll add one later. Also, is this a good length of chapter? I'm kind of new to writing stories, so if anyone has any advice I'd love it if you'd comment your opinions. Also also, should I put this type of question as a poll, or just leave it in author notes?

4