Chapter 1 – Start!
56 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ha!"

The two shinais were locked against each other. Azuya and Kaede are now duking it out in the kendo dojo they took lessons at frequently. Their teacher looked on, impressed at the two's growth. Anyways, not only did they practice here often, but they were also a part of the kendo club at Setorai as promising aces.

The teacher couldn't help but notice Azuya's battle sense was a few notches up today. Kaede pulled up her shinai and aimed for Azuya with a slamming yet elegant force slightly to the side. Azuya reacted to this perfectly and met the strike evenly. Seeing as this approach wouldn't favor her, Kaede began thinking while sustaining the strained position. Azuya then ruthlessly pushed forward, allowing him to win the match overpoweringly. Afterward, their sweat-slicked bodies slid off from their positions to rest.

Wow, this power is actually really helpful. I can know what other people are about to do and deal with it properly. 

His reaction time to new events brought up in this script that flashed through his mind increased, allowing him to be ahead of his opponent. He was hesitant when thinking of relying on this power too much though since it might hinder the natural growth of his instincts. Although he did have a strange sense of reliability to his power now, something like false information wasn't likely (as he experienced ).

To make things clear, the cause of Azuya's sudden increase in battle potential was his ability to now hear about himself and the situation around him from an outside perspective. Azuya was able to meet strikes because he knew they were coming, and could push forward confidently since he knew the opponent was hesitant. He wondered to himself if it was really cheating.

"Wow Azuya, you got really good. Have you been practicing in secret...I doubt it though."

Despite the fact that being 'narrated' is slightly irritating, it has its good points. I still don't know why me though...

"T-Thanks."

He accepted the praise honestly. After reading that line, he thought to himself how he was becoming very self-aware for better or worse.


When he got home from kendo practice, he set his belongings aside and entered the living room. He heard his mom (as of recent) call out,

"Azuya dear, dinner will be ready soon so wash up okay?"

"Alright, mom."

He did as he was told and changed into more fitting attire as well as washed up. Shizuka was already ready at the dining table and so was his dad. He was oddly happy. Noticing the fact the 'narrator' said he was oddly happy,

"Something good happen dad?"

"Oh yes, that's right you didn't hear yet, I got a promotion."

"Well good for you."

"Hehe, thanks. So, how'd kendo practice go?"

"I was able to overpower Kaede, today must be my lucky day."

"Well, Kaede-chan sure is strong..."

Shizuka fiddled with her hair slightly.

"Shizuka?"

"H-Huh?"

"Are you okay? Spacing out or something?"

"A-Ah yeah I'm fine. Yes, just spacing out sorry bout that..."

Azuya disregarded it and sat next to her in the usual seat. His mom, Kuriko, set down some hot plates and took a seat next to his dad, Sadao. They began soundlessly after,

""Itadakimasu!""


Azuya considered going for a run after eating but, somehow he wasn't in the mood. While laying in bed,

"Another day of school tomorrow...'narrator'-san you in there?"

He called out to the phenomenon he was experiencing in an exasperating way.

Don't be like that!

Despite one side being inept as a conversation partner, Azuya continued engaging. He believed that there was some sort of personality behind the words he saw. Of course, no one would confirm or deny that for him.

What a pain...


The next Monday morning was a slightly colder version of yesterday's sky. After waking up early for school, to which Azuya complained thoroughly about mentally (since it was like there was someone there to listen), he changed into his uniform. The Setorai male uniform consists of a standard dark blue blazer with a white shirt underneath. It was finished with a tie and a lower half covered in sleek black.

You described that boringly. If I was a girl, you'd have at least 100 more words!

Anyways, he went downstairs to be greeted by a methodical family. Kuriko was making some breakfast, Shizuka was playing around with her phone, and his dad already left for work.

Don't change the subject!

Azuya hurried to the bathroom where he washed his hands and face briefly. He didn't put any effort into fixing his bedhead.

And I don't intend to. Bedhead is the way I style my hair, a part of my identity!

He proclaimed triumphantly in his mindscape, only to be returned with scornful silence. Well, he imagined the scornful part. As he later sat down next to Shizuka at the table,

"Nee-san what're you thinking about~"

"Is reality really real...what if we're just part of some story where our actions are determined and we have no free will?"

"What a philosophical and heavy thing to be thinking about this early in the morning. Are you sure you're not still half-asleep?"

Shizuka put her arm on top of Azuya's head like an armrest and proceeded with a nonchalant attitude. Cute.

It's not that I'm short, she's just tall I swear! Her shampoo smells nice...wait what am I thinking about (we use the same shampoo)!? 

Azuya shoved that thought away and focused on the breakfast now in front of him. A nice aroma swirled into his nostrils, not the shampoo.

"As expected, mom's cooking is the best!"

"Obviously!"

After taking the time to eat a full meal, he felt ready to tackle a day of learning at the prestigious Setorai. The two siblings got ready soon after by putting on their shoes and preparing their bags. They left the house together after being seen off by Kuriko. School life start! 

5