Chapter 66 – Back in the Capital
118 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your highness, House Symond pledges support for your ascension. We've been guarding the most southwestern border of the kingdom for four generations now. We've always been surrounded by unfriendly noble families, but we've always acted in the bounds of our authorities. Now that the other princes have threatened us, we can only fight back. Though you were banished, Count Symond was privy to the fact that the late king regrets your banishment." Jason expressed the family's opinion candidly when he was allowed the audience with the prince.

"Yes, father has always secretly supported me. Even with the risk of provoking my older brothers, he has always tried to maintain our relations. His last letter was from before he fell sick. I regret not coming fast enough to attend to my ill father, but father in law stated that it would cause a misunderstanding with my brothers. The best way to continue my father's legacy is to take it for myself from my infighting siblings. I know it seems like I'm being controlled by my father-in-law, well I won't deny his influence in the matter." the prince could only sigh at the complicated matter regarding the deal he had with his father-in-law, the emperor of the Nucia Empire. The prince could only change the topic awkwardly, "Marquis Mansk, please explain the details of our current operation."

"Yes, your highness. It seems the first prince was able to react fast and not fall for our trap. If he had returned to the capital, we could've surrounded him on all sides and sweep his forces in one fell swoop. He in turn chose to station himself in the North, forcing Marquis Lane's forces to halt their advance and retreat. The second prince has also entered a stand-off with the Nucia Troops to his south. If he tries to fight a field battle, the ports of Riverguard City will be stormed in by the empire's fleet. The key to the war then lies with us. With the prince out of the capital, if we can then occupy it. With the capital occupied, we will hold the symbol of the Kingdom. Though the past kings have upheld a rule where no king shall be crowned during war times, we can go around that by essentially conquering the Snow Kingdom, ending the Snow dynasty. As agreed upon, General Jason will have his men act as a messenger for the first prince and enter the city through the north gate. I will then proclaim the ascension of a new king in the South gate, confusing the soldiers, before General Jason's troops take advantage of the soldier's confusion. Though I believe that with my prestige I can convince the southern wall commander to open the gate for us, having a backup plan puts our troops at ease."

"We will arrive at the southern gate of the city in a day. Can General Jason's troops travel twice as fast as our men?" the prince asked with doubt.

"Rest assured, your highness. As long as the roads are still snowy, my scouts will get the mission done." Jason reassured the prince. He had assigned Adam's two bands with accomplishing the mission. It may seem irresponsible, sending his own daughter on such a dangerous mission. He believes, that with this experience, his men will grow quicker and become a force to be feared, all over the land.

....

"One mission after another. I'm starting to feel a sense of deja vu." Adam sighed as his men arrive at the territory of House Pol, in the northern area of the central region. "The snow melted too fast, we're forced to perform a quick march which our new band can't keep up with."

"The capital's northern outer city wall is only four days away from here. We're only delayed by two days. I think we're still making good time." said Nate.

"After we pass through this city, we'll split up into the distraction forces, or the disguised forces, and the kill squad, where the best fighters will gather. The kill squad will sneak into the city while you distract the focus of the guards. If the distraction forces can enter the capital, that's great. If not, they will retreat to the northwest region, Marquis Lane's dominion." as Adam was giving his final instructions to the squad captains, he came across a familiar faced-corpse. It was one of the aids who accompanied Lady Iris back to their dominion. After checking the corpse, he found it was still warm, but the body looked beaten and starved.

"Check around for signs of three or two people. One of the footprints should be as big as your face. Report to me once you find traces of them."

"Captain, are there enemy scouts in this area?" asked Suya.

Adam candidly expressed his intuition about Lady Iris and Bo the knight's predicament. He also stated the role these people played to help him locate the whereabouts of Count Symond during his secret mission to the capital last year.

It didn't take long for news to return to Adam, "Sir, it seems there was a group of people chasing after them. This place is a battlefield with corpses all around. I think the escapees are escaping to the southwest. We'll continue to monitor our surroundings." Seth replied as he was tasked with locating the escaping group.

In the middle of the night, Adam's men located Bo the knight who was defending the sleeping lady like a wild animal. It was as if he had lost his senses and only relied on instinct to complete his mission. Adam's men were only able to forcefully subdue Bo after throwing 10 bodies at him. When Adam reached his medical unit, he found Suya nursing the weak Iris. "Lady Iris, I'm relieved to see you were able to escape from the Pol City." Adam was relieved to see his acquaintance was relatively unharmed.

"Knight Adam. I thank you for helping to recover me and Bo. My brother proclaimed me a traitor to the first prince and planned to have his men ravage me when he learned of the events in the capital. I was only able to escape with the sacrifice of my loyal subordinates. I know I'm in no position to ask for your aid but I am currently worth nothing. Please help me until I am able to repay you for your aid since the capital."

4