Chapter 73 – Maneuver
81 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Floyd Star's sudden disappearance greatly unsettled the first prince's forces. Even the first prince knew that if Floyd abandoned him, it meant Floyd didn't think that the prince had a chance of success. Adding the fact that their surprise attack on the central army was discovered and the third prince and northwestern army were closing in on their northern fronts, all hope seemed lost. The first prince had his men set up a perimeter within the north regions' border with the central region and secluded himself to think of a strategy.

....

Upon hearing of the surrender of Floyd Star, the third prince capitalized on this and spread the word of this to the enemy camp. He wanted to demoralize the enemy troops to finally end this campaign. The war that started with the rebellion of the second prince will end with the third prince's usurpation of the throne. It has already been a year since the massacre of the nobles in the capital by the first prince. With the steady progress of his forces, by December, he can coronate himself and remake the Kingdom.

As the third prince was thinking of his future plans, his adjutant handed him a bottle of alcohol said to be produced by a southwestern company, Vodka. He had also recently become privy to the other products of this company which is backed by House Symond. He plans to ask around for the details of this company. While drinking some vodka, he continues to finalize his plans.

"Your highness, the first prince's army has given up on attacking the central region and has sent a vanguard legion in our direction. Do you want to face them in a field battle? With the central army on the defensive, and the northwestern army sweeping through the northern region, only we can hold them down. But facing 600,000 soldiers will cause our morale to suffer too much." reported another adjutant.

"We can't fight them head-on. We'll have to use some tactics to make them voluntarily divide their forces. Gather the men, we'll follow this plan..."

....

"Your highness, it seems the third prince has underestimated our men. He thinks we can't force march our men back to the northern region while sending a rearguard force to act as a vanguard force to distract them. All we have to do is inspire our troops by saying their homes and wives are being ravaged by the third prince's forces. We've already dealt with three legions from the northwestern army. With their forces scattered, they can't mount a strong resistance. The third prince should be marching his troops into the region by now. Hopefully, our ambushes will make them rethink their strategies giving us enough breathing room." said one of the first prince's adjutants. They were able to return back to the northern region under the third prince's nose. With the northwestern army being scattered and dealing with towns and villages, the first prince was able to regain control of most of the northern region again.

....

When the third prince heard that he'd been outsmarted, he flew into a rage and ordered all troops to march on the northern region. He's grown irritated at how the first prince is able to keep evading his men over and over. He has yet to realize that it was not only him who had been working hard to become a ruler, but also his brother. The third prince may have had better potential in their younger days, the first prince has been planning this war for a much longer time and has gathered better resources.

"Order all troops, abandon all defensive strongholds. We will march on the northern region and give our ultimatum. Even if it means I'll gain the monicker of the 'Bloody Usurper', I can't have this war continue anymore!" the third prince's three-year loan period started with his landing in the Kingdom last year. He needs to maintain his strong military presence if he wants to control the Kingdom. He had already almost used up a year still fighting for the throne. At this rate, he won't be able to stabilize the situation before his Nucia Army is ordered to return to the Empire. So the third prince will utilize his stronger forces to their fullest.

....

"Sir, I'm not too sure but from the terrain and traces, I'm inclined to believe there is an ambush ahead. One meant for an entire battalion. Ever since we got attacked by the first prince surprise ambush, the scouts have become more reliable. I daresay, these traps are likely all over our route to the main army of the first prince." Adam was currently reporting his findings on his band's mission to Erich, the temporary army commander. Jason was more heavily injured than Erich as Floyd Star focused on Jason more.

"I'll report your finding and analysis to Marquis Mansk. We can only follow the directives from HQ as we're the vanguard troops. If we suddenly expose the main force to an enemy attack, it would be too devastating. You're dismissed for now."

However, Adam's predictions came true. The entire route they surveyed had signs of a huge force having passed them recently. Seeing the multiple reports of suspected ambushes, Jason had no choice but to pester HQ about it. HQ, having received the third prince's order for an all-out attack, could only order their troops to forcefully attack the ambushers. Luckily for the vanguard army, Adam's men were experts in tracking. Adam had already distributed his subordinates to other bands during the brief time he held control of the battalion. With this, Adam was assured that the ambushes couldn't do too much damage to the main force.

After several of the ambush troops were attacked, the enemy caught on that they've been exposed. They retreated back to their main force, opening a direct path from the central army to the main camp of the first prince. When Marquis Mansk saw the situation, he sent a fast horse to the third prince to have the final battle with the first prince's army from the east, while the northwestern and central armies will attack the first prince from the west and south respectively. The first prince, also seeing his complete encirclement also planned for their last stand.

4