Chapter 78 – Kingdom Army
87 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Brother! Let's play some more!" Skye asked Ted to play with them more.

"Skye, I'm tired. Let Hunter play with you guys."

"No! These kids are too energetic for my sake! Why don't you go play soldiers and patrol around the manor again?" Hunter suggested.

"Hey, lunch is ready! Let's go eat first!" Adam called his siblings playing in the backyard of their manor. The Josef family bought most of the village property and put it under Hunter's business. They plan to live off the plantation in the relative peace of the southwest province. Some of the well-off families also followed suit so the relative population of the area was enough to be put under a village. So the Southwestern Capital City Government decided to form a village in the area with the village head assigned from their officers. All administrative duties will be handled by the new office.

Adam spent his days in peace until May of the year 2973 when the army summons was delivered. Ted decided to finish his training in the new Ice Academy before joining the army, so only Adam and some villagers planned to take the trip to the new capital.

Adam passed by the Claus estate to finalize their preparations, then dragged Seth with him to go to Suya. Jason gathered all the people interested in joining the army and marched to the new capital city. The arrival of a disciplined troop made waves in the army camps.

....

"Hello, I am Adam Josef from the former Ice Legion. Is this the place to get our new assignment?" Adam entered a tent filled with staff officers organizing papers.

"Please wait a moment." after a few minutes, "Yes, Cap. Adam Josef. At the moment, troop assignments have yet to be finalized. You will be organized into camps until further notice."

"Okay, thank you."

....

"10 soldiers in a Tent, 5 Tents in a Squad (50), 4 Squads to form Band (200), 5 Bands to form a Battalion (1,000), 3 Battalions to form a Regiment (3,000), and 3 Regiments with an independent Battalion forms a Legion (10,000). A number of Legions make up an army. Lower ranked officers can, in theory, hold any positions in the troop. It's just that the rank symbolizes what troop size they are most fitting to lead. A Lieutenant, the lowest rank, for a Tent, Captain for a Squad, Lt. Col. for a Band, Col. for a Battalion, Lt. Gen for a Regiment, and Gen. for a Legion. Marshalls are positions appointed in wars. Aside from the downsizing of the Regiment, it's not much different from our own." Nate recalled the army organization announcement.

"I think the changes will be apparent in training and tactics. We'll just have to see. I heard tomorrow the new troop assignments will be posted, I hope you guys good luck!" Adam didn't mind a new kind of troop. He's grown too accustomed to scouting operations but most of the geography in other countries are relatively flat and have fewer forests and snow.

....

"Congratulations on your promotion, Lt. Col. Josef! As one of the soldiers recognized by his highness, you were due for promotion and assigned to the First Sword Legion as the Battalion Commander of the independent battalion of the legion." said the staff officer who presented Adam's assignment. "You may check the camp out after you finished with this paperwork.

After Adam returned to his friends, he found out about their assignments as well. Seth was assigned as Adam's adjutant. Suya and April are assigned to the Second Knight Legion. Sofia, Fred, and Lewis were assigned to the Second Sword Legion. Nate was the only one separated in their group, assigned to the First Knight Legion. It seems the Royal Forces are divided into Knight Legions, Sword Legions, and Shield Legions. The Kingdom will be enforcing all youths to attend compulsory military training and will be called upon when the Kingdom needs them.

There will only be a standing army of 500,000 to defend the reduced 10,000,000 citizens of the Kingdom. The Shield Legions act as the military police and obey the orders from their assigned Provincial Capitals. There are 27 Shield Legions, with each Provincial Capital able to command troops proportional to their population density. Of the 13 Knight Legions, 7 are assigned near the new Capital with the rest in the old Capital. With this arrangement, they can respond to any situation as a rapid response force. The 10 Sword Legions are assigned as a border or offensive legion, depending on the situation.

"Looks like we'll be separated from each other." said Suya.

"It's just temporary. Until I become a General and gather you guys under my wing, just don't get hurt. Hehe." Lewis joked.

"Come, on! Let's drink till we blackout!" Fred suggested.

....

"Hello, Lt. Col. Josef. I am General Alvin Peck. His highness has personally assigned you to this legion. I have no qualms about it as I trust in his highness' judgment. I look forward to seeing what you can do. Your battalion should be mostly complete by now. You may go."

"Yes, sir!" Adam then went on to observe his new soldiers. He noticed most of the men have the air of elite troops within them. They also have good constitutions. "Looks like we're assigned a pretty decent bunch. And they seem disciplined too. Seth, have them form their tents, squads, and bands. I'll give my first instructions."

Seth then had the trumpeter blow the tune of the troop formation. "Good day! I am Lt. Col. Josef. I have been assigned to you bunch as your Battalion Commander. I only ask for respect and obedience. We will begin our training after all the registered members report in. Please prepare yourself to be the best unit in the legion. Dismissed."

The training ground was silent from the sudden declaration of Adam, 'The best?' everyone was shocked by the declaration. After a few moments of silence, cheers broke out in the camp! Though they don't know what made their commander so bold, they liked it. But they all came together and challenge their commander first to see if he's qualified to lead them. Strong armies rotate around strong officers, after all.

4