1.13 Rise of moral integrity, rehabilitate the slag Male Lead and strike for love!
1.2k 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ruo Chen was the perfect example of a male lead, who should come at the most crucial point, to save his female counterpart.

 

It’s a pity, that the role model turned homo and the princess changed to a prince instead. 

 

 

“Say that again? Why would I live with a stranger?” retorted Rong XingLi provocatively.

 

“Do you have anywhere else to live or can you pay a half a year’s rent in advance? The apartments in this city only accept yearly or bi-yearly payments for the most part. Moreover, your parents are controlling the real estate market in this region. Even if you can pay, they will avoid renting to you ba!” countered Ruo Chen coolly. He wanted to look as magnificent as possible to his sweetheart.

 

But how could Rong XingLi allow him to get his way? There was still a debt left to be cleared for those red markings that dog left behind!

 

“That’s true, however, why are you here and how do you know— wait, did you let someone shadow me, again? You should stop that hobby, I’ll sue you ba.” 

 

Ruo Chen got hit in his weak points and only gave an askew smile in response. “Jun-er, don’t be like this! It’s partly my fault, that you are in this pinch. Let me help you ba!”

 

“Partly?” Rong XingLi raised one of his eyebrows.

 

“...it’s all my fault. I’m sorry,” corrected Ruo Chen. 

 

Zhang Ze’s eyes were tainted by this show of PDA. When they met last time, he suspected that Ruo Chen one-sidedly imposed his feelings on Li Junyao. He even feared, that Ruo Chen might use his wealth to coerce Li Junyao into a relationship with him. But beside their overly relaxed familiarity, the submissive person turned out to be the Young Master Ruo and Ah Jun was full in control.

 

Thus, the image of the playboy second-generation vanished and was replaced by the pitiful sight of a husband being nagged on by his wife, no, it should be his husband.

 

“If you knew, then can you not suggest such a stupid idea? It will only add oil to the fire!” rebuked Rong XingLi.

 

Ruo Chen went silent and looked like a wronged child, he thought about a way to persuade his sweetheart.

 

Li Mengyao was torn between the two sides. On one hand, she didn’t want her brother to live miserably, but she didn’t want to force him to live with someone they aren’t familiar with either.

 

Zhang Ze couldn’t bear to watch this any longer and made a suggestion, “How about we change our location ba? It doesn’t seem like, we could progress much here.”

 

The idea was unanimously approved by all and the group of four went to a private room in some nearby restaurant to discuss the issue. 

 

They soon discovered another problem— the tuition fees. It’s only logical, that the Li couple would stop paying them too.

 

“Does anybody have an idea?” asked Rong XingLi.

 

“I pay everything for you,” declared Ruo Chen confidently.

 

Rong XingLi only shot him an odd glare in response, “I’m not your sugar baby. Forget it, I’ll find a way to pay it myself. In the worst case, I can still take a credit and pay it off after graduation ba.”

 

Taking a credit was also an option, just that the contract term would run for many years and the probability to get scammed was very high for a student without backing. 

 

Ruo Chen protested immediately, “No, do you know how dangerous that is? Without a guarantor the reputable creditors will give you unfavorable conditions, while suspicious loan sharks will overcharge you in interest. Either way they will bring you in debt,” he paused and profoundly looked into Rong XingLi’s eyes, “Why won’t you rely on me?”

 

Confounded by the others intense stare, Rong XingLi replied hesitantly, “...I won’t take the alms of the Ruo family. I still have the deposit with my savings and—”

 

He was cut off by Ruo Chen, who sternly insisted, “Don’t use it. Your deposit was build to slowly cultivate a stable income for the future not to make a quick bucket, right? And have more confidence in your man! It’s money I made through my own efforts, the Ruo family has nothing to do with it.”

 

Li Mengyao and Zhang Ze, who were silent the whole time, met with bewilderment. The former because her brother seemed to have a back-up planned without her knowledge and the latter because their relationship already ran deeper than one had guessed.

Of course, Rong XingLi already knew that Ruo Chen was his best option, but living together was somewhat to ambiguous for his taste.

 

Brat, my mission is to let you live miserably, not to play house with you.

 

Nonetheless, he gritted his teeth and replied, “...Okay, I will take your offer, but…”

 

Ruo Chen was overwhelmed with excitement and his smile was as clear as a bell, “But what?”

 

Rong XingLi face went cold from the uncontrolled sunny aura of the weirdo, “What the hell is ‘your man’, huh?”

 

Ruo Chen gave a wry smile as he probed, “Boyfriend?”

 

Rong XingLi’s face contorted.

 

Ruo Chen tried it again, “...friend?”

 

Rong XingLi sighed and let him off the hook.

 

The two lightbulbs each lit a candle for the young master, they could clearly see his puppy ears and tail! Hence, Ruo Chen’s image of a pitiful husband was degraded to a mere pet. 

 

After more dog abuse1dog abuse: lol, double meaning; 1. more roasted Chen 2. LM and ZZ those single dogs are blinded by PDA, Rong XingLi’s cohabitation with Ruo Chen started from this day on.

 

***

 

Time flew and three months already passed. At first Rong XingLi thought there would be a big commotion before the rumors died down, but contrary to his expectation, it was tranquil, to the point that everything seemed like an illusionary.

 

That guy must have done something… 

 

Whatever he did, as long as he didn’t court death, Rong XingLi wouldn’t care.

 

Thanks to his meddling, the relationship between Li Mengyao and Zhang Ze also progressed at a steady pace. They didn’t start dating yet, but nothing could come between them either. Rong XingLi just had to bid his time until his third task was accomplished.

 

As for the new assignment, he was still unsure, what Ruo Chen’s deepest desire was. There were so many things a person could wish for.

 

Lost in thoughts, he murmured, “Is it the Ruo family, a long and healthy life, revenge or…” 

 

Li Junyao

 

Rong XingLi shook his head vehemently.

 

If it was truly love, that he longed for, then it could become very complicated…

 

“Ding— Ruo Chen is coming back,” notified Jing Yi. 

 

Rong XingLi propped up and crumpled his clothes. Today he had to fulfill his promise to Ruo Chen and spend the whole day with him.

 

Although they were living together, the house owner was away most of the time. Sometimes Rong XingLi felt like the shunned mistress and this extravagant apartment was his compensation. Not that he wanted to be chummy with Ruo Chen, he preferred the current setup very much. Chores were done by cleaners and his meals were delivered by Ruo Chen’s assistant.

 

He didn’t need to lift a finger and the big puppy wouldn’t cling to (sexually harass) him either.

 

If it weren’t for Ruo Chen’s countless reminders and obstinate pouting, Rong XingLi would have swept the date agreement under the carpet.

 

Sigh~

 

Poor boy. Today will be the worst date you will ever have. Hope you’re prepared.

 

Since he couldn’t escape this event, why not use it to correct Ruo Chen’s deviated affection?

 

Thus, Rong XingLi even put on some makeup to alter his complexion to a slightly unkempt and grumpy look. His clothes were coordinated to make his expensive clothes look cheap, for his hair, well, unwashed and just out of bed didn’t need much styling.

 

De facto, his appearance was unsightly for the eyes. For Ruo Chen, who was obsessed with looks, it must be off-putting.

 

Let’s see if you can still bear to touch me!

 

Beep~ Click—

 

The door opened and Ruo Chen entered the apartment. Like always his appearance was flawlessly handsome.

 

Rong XingLi felt like burning holes into him. Male leads had this specific trait, that made one green with envy. Deathly sick, sleep-deprived or stained with dirt, they always looked perfect, their vigor never seemed to expire.

 

He didn’t know, what made Ruo Chen busy every day, to the point of missing each other six days a week. But he knew, that Ruo Chen barely slept 5 to 6 hours and ate very irregular. A normal person’s skin would have deteriorated long ago without proper care, but Ruo Chen didn’t seem to be affected at all.

 

Rong XingLi’s pity turned into indignation, this date was destined to end in disaster.

 

Still standing at the door, Ruo Chen dazedly stared at Rong XingLi. He looked a bit stupid, with his mouth still open. Only the hanging tongue lacked and the dog image was complete. Rong XingLi didn’t remind or rush him, waiting for his reaction.

 

Ruo Chen snapped out of his trance and his mouth hooked into a satisfied smile. “Jun-er finally settled in, you even gained some weight and look much healthier now. Very good, let’s go to the car ba!”

 

Rong XingLi’s face went blank, he forgot, that Ruo Chen had a pit in his brain.

 

In the car, Rong XingLi tried to be as annoying as possible, making Ruo Chen adjusting the air conditioning, music and seat non stop. He asked for breaks every 5 minutes and while driving he yowled to all songs that played even though he never heard of them before. He did it full of enthusiasm, wagging his whole body exaggerated and grimacing the weirdest faces.

 

However, Ruo Chen just began to giggle and joined him howling. The vacant expression became brighter and his eyes shaped crescent moons.

 

Rong XingLi really hated iron for not becoming steel. Contrary to his expectations, Ruo Chen wasn’t creep out by his behavior, instead, he cheered up.

 

A heavy sigh escaped Rong XingLi’s mouth. That nutcase was hard to crack.

 

When the car stopped, Rong XingLi scrutinized their location. They unexpectedly went to the amusement park.

 

Rong XingLi’s bafflement was unconcealed. Ruo Chen was a bit flustered and cleared his throat. “...I wanted to go to a place with you, where I never went with anyone before and where you can relax,” confessed he hesitantly. He swept a nervous glance at Rong XingLi.

 

Beseeching eyes locked onto Rong XingLi. It felt like his little chuuni stood before him and his determination wavered as a consequence. 

 

Don’t look at me like this. The gap moe2gap-rule: doing smth. out of character will highlight the action particularly e.g. the gangster saves the kitten (super cute) or the handsome guy turns out to be a serial killer (disturbing to the max) moe (jp.): feelings of strong affection ►RC used puppy eyes. It was super effective. is killing me. Stop the meng3meng (cn.): cute, adorable and be an a**hole please!

 

“En,” replied Rong XingLi succinctly.

 

Ruo Chen revealed a smile, took out their prepared tickets and they went in. 

 

At the entrance were flyers, Rong XingLi grabbed one and unfolded it. The compact-sized flyer turned into a large poster. There was a map of the vicinity and all its attractions printed on.

 

Ruo Chen also studied the map curiously from behind and firmly held Rong XingLi’s hands. One back and one chest pasted together while Ruo Chen’s head hovered over the other’s shoulder.

 

Rong XingLi eyes narrowed. Ten steps from the entrance and that brat already got touchy-feely.

 

He wanted to retreat, but the other male used his superior strength to prevent his sweetheart from escaping.

 

Rong XingLi’s eyebrows twitched as he gave a shallow laughter. 

 

“Ruo Chen, I won’t run away. Would his majesty give me some space?” asked he salty.

 

“I know you won’t run away,” Ruo Chen moved his mouth near Rong XingLi’s ear, his warm breath lingered at the latter’s earlobe. The affected area tickled and Rong XingLi reflexly winced as a response. 

 

This motion inevitably united Ruo Chen’s hot lips directly with his ear. Rong XingLi felt a burning sensation as the other continued to whisper, “You can’t drive and left your wallet at home, so you can’t go home alone ba.”

 

Rong XingLi wanted to smack a fist into that overly self-confident face of his. “Then look at your own map!”

 

However, Ruo Chen only reclined his head back to the youth’s shoulder. “Just choose something you like.”

 

Rong XingLi pursed his lips. At least he wasn’t affected by Li Junyao’s emotions anymore. After the obscure “drunk” incident with Ruo Chen, his soul power unexpectedly improved a bit, retaining his clear conscience and body control at all times.

 

There were many other visitors and two guys hugging each other so openly, drew a lot of attention. Add the sharp contrast between their fashion and a new attraction was born.

 

At this moment, he regretted his gaudy outfit. Not only failed his plan of making Ruo Chen too embarrassed to walk with him, even the children on the merry go around giggled at them. Rong XingLi really shot himself in the foot.

 

With a crestfallen heart, he quickly chose a rather far Tilt-a-Whirl ride. As they made their way to the attraction, Rong XingLi conversed with Jing Yi about their next step.

 

“Jing Yi, can everything proceed like plan? How long will it take?”

 

“Ding— En, host will have to delay 40 minutes.”

 

“O-Kay!”

 

Thus, they rode only two flat and slow rides until the time was up. Rong XingLi guided them, so they unnecessary had to walk in circles. He absolutely had to avoid two-seater rides or Ruo Chen would use the opportunity to get cozy.

 

After walking a fair bit, they were back to the beginning. At the entrance stood Li Mengyao with Zhang Ze. Rong XingLi lit up and waved innocently at them.

 

“Hey, look there is big sis and brother Ze!” Rong XingLi ran up to them, his expression bright and cheerful.

 

Ruo Chen was a bit sour to see his sweetheart running to another man so enthusiastically and casually dismissed Li Mengyao, the real reason for Rong XingLi’s joy.

 

With the addition of the female lead and the second male lead, Rong XingLi could escape the clutches of Ruo Chen. Bringing friends to a date will always make it less date-like.

 

Moreover, he could create opportunities for the unofficial couple.

 

Ruo Chen wanted to protest, but was no match for Rong XingLi’s sullen face. Hence, the date turned into a friends-gathering.

 

They played, joked and ate the whole afternoon. Even though Ruo Chen pouted at first, he enjoyed it very much. 

 

Humph! Children like you should play like this. No drugs and no illicit relationships.

 

From time to time would Rong XingLi run ahead, while Ruo Chen would follow him without further ado and leave the other couple behind. Zhang Ze, who was in the known, appreciated their effort.

 

In the original outline, he was doomed to watch the woman he loved slowly deteriorate. It was him, who helped Li Mengyao find a quiet place to live, after her parents abandoned her. Yet, he couldn’t make her overcome her depression. As a result, he put all his energy into his work, became successful, but failed in his love life.

 

This time, Rong XingLi would spread his wings and made them flock together.

 

At dusk, they were all exhausted and they decided to go for the Ferris wheel as the final ride. Shortly before it was their turn, Rong XingLi excused himself.

 

Ugh, I feel like it’s too high for me after all. Sis, Brother Ze please enjoy your ride ba!” Rong XingLi slipped out of line.

 

Not wanting to be a lightbulb, Ruo Chen excused himself too. “I feel a bit dizzy, therefore I will leave with Jun-er,” he tactfully left the couple alone. 

 

Like injected with chicken blood4injected with chicken blood: overly excited or energetic, the two ran faster than people on black Friday.

 

Li Mengyao was a bit nervous, yet looked forward to ride alone with Zhang Ze. The latter also showed a content smile, today he would confess to her.

 

Originally, Rong XingLi wanted to run far away, leaving them behind to cultivate their feelings. However, his asthma prevented him from reaching the desired distance.

 

Ruo Chen caught up eventually and sweat beads formed on his forehead. His breathing was heavy. Rong XingLi’s eyebrows furrowed in puzzlement. 

 

That amount of sweat is unnatural for this short distance. Don’t tell me…!

 

Hence, he examined him thoroughly and it dawned on him. To prove his assumption, he used his thumb to smudge the area under Ruo Chen’s eyes. Color dyed his thumb and dark eye circles emerged to the surface. 

 

Ruo Chen wasn’t fit at all, he was exhausted to the point of passing out! He even had a slight fever as a result.

 

Rong XingLi felt the urge to fill the pit in his brain with some common sense, but let off the other, since he was already on his knees.

 

The big puppy was carried to the next available bench and laid down, his head with closed eyes rested on Rong XingLi’s lap. A familiar pain greeted him, Rong XingLi’s balls hurt, it was another romance trope! 

 

Full of resentment for the unneeded honor, Rong XingLi put a cold and wet handkerchief on Ruo Chen’s upper face without prior notice. Consequently, the patient jolted by the sudden chilliness, he received.

 

After contemplating for a bit, Rong XingLi shot Ruo Chen a question, “Why did you forced yourself today?”

 

Ruo Chen was stumbled, but replied foolishly-honest, “I looked forward to today’s rendezvous…”

 

This answer left Rong XingLi speechless for a minute. He only let out a heavy sigh and didn’t pry any further.

 

In the meantime, Li Mengyao and Zhang Ze reached the peak of the Ferris wheel. Time seemed to freeze just for them.

 

Zhang Ze looked tenderly into Li Mengyao’s eyes. “Ah Yao… to be honest, I already liked you for a very long time now. You are a strong woman with ideals, kindness but also a humorous side. Li Mengyao, you completely mesmerized me with your beautiful smile, would you be my girlfriend?” 

 

Li Mengyao blushed crimson red. Her mouth formed a shy smile as she nodded, “Yes…”

 

Within the suspense in air, two heads became one as the sky became darker...

 

***

 

A pleasing system message popped up Rong XingLi’s head.

 

“Ding— Host has accomplished the third task. Congratulations! Please persist in your efforts to rehabilitate the slag male lead! Current completion status (2/3)”

 

Under normal circumstances, he would sing a victory song, but he had another problem at hand. Ruo Chen was totally wasted, it was impossible for him to drive them home!

 

Hence, he had to call Zhang Ze reluctantly to be their driver. He came hand-in-hand with Li Mengyao, who had a tinge of pink on her cheeks.

 

Rong XingLi ignored the dog food5dog food: chinese slang for PDA thrown at him and just gave Zhang Ze the keys.

 

He sat together with Ruo Chen in the backseat. The latter clued to the former, hugging his waist tightly and resting his head on the other’s shoulder. Zhang Ze and Li Mengyao weren’t surprised the least by their intimate contact. For them, they were already an old couple.

 

Please be a bit disturbed, I beg you!

 

Rong XingLi felt tears streaming down his cheeks as he looked indignantly at the clinging koala.

 

“Can you not hug me?” whispered Rong XingLi to Ruo Chen.

 

“Will you let me hug or touch you under normal circumstances?” Ruo Chen quietly answered the question with a question.

 

“No,” responded Rong XingLi instantly.

 

“Dito,” threw Ruo Chen back.

 

Rong XingLi closed his eyes in defeat.

 

The car drove back with the new official couple and the old unofficial duo.

 

After a while, a person emerged from the shadows. He took out a phone and dialed a number.

 

“Yes, it’s me. I confirmed the other's identity and got additional information to sell. The report will be sent after the payment.” He hung up the phone and vanished the way he appeared.

 

***

 

Back home, Rong XingLi was at a loss. He put Ruo Chen to bed and gave him a mild medication against the fever and pain, but even after an hour, there were no signs of recovery.

 

He asked his family’s system for advice, “Jing Yi, can you scan him? His fever should have subsided long ago and he is sweating too much. It will be a problem, if he crossed the yellow river6the yellow river: separates the mundane from the spirit world, synopsis to die now!”

 

“Ding— Initiate checkup… Complete. Please lay down next to him and have skinship. That’s the most effective setup to restore his health,” spat Jing Yi out mildly.

 

Rong XingLi’s face was blank, he voiced out his doubts, “...I have the feeling, that you want to pit me against him ba. How does cuddling improve his health?”

 

“Ding— He is the male lead. His halo won’t let him die so easily. Serving as emotional aid and substitute as a hot-water bottle will be sufficient to boost his recovery rate,” explained Jing Yi calmly.

 

After playing cupid all day, Rong XingLi was too tired to think anymore and just lay down next to Ruo Chen. Anyway, it wouldn’t be the first time, that Ruo Chen woke up by simply hugging.

 

However, he struggled to find the right position, that is not too sensual, yet fulfilled the requirements at the same time. 

 

His fidgeting poked Ruo Chen awake. 

 

The latter lazily opened his eyes and with one swing of his arm, pulled Rong XingLi into his embrace.

 

Rong XingLi’s face was pressed against the other’s chest as he still hadn’t processed, what happened.

 

“If you’re awake, then say something. I thought you went to see your ancestors ba!” His nose throbbed from the sudden impact.

 

The voice of the other male roused Ruo Chen in pleasant surprise. “No, this must be a dream. Please don’t wake me up.” He shut his eyes tightly, as though it would let him dream further.

 

A pinch on his nose followed. “I see, you are already healthy enough to be silly. Then I’ll go back to my room ba,” declared Rong XingLi.

 

Ruo Chen was dumbfounded, it was reality!

 

“Ahhh, I feel cold all of a sudden, don’t leave yet! At least wait until I’m asleep, please…”

 

Rong XingLi rolled his eyes at him. Still, he wasn’t cold-hearted enough to leave a sick person, even though it was just Ruo Chen. “Ok, but only until you fall asleep.”

 

“En, whatever you want!” Ruo Chen beamed from ear to ear and stared holes into Rong XingLi with starry eyes. It didn’t look like he would sleep anytime soon.

 

Therefore, Rong XingLi asked a question, he normally would never utter. “Why do you like me?”

 

Ruo Chen was taken by surprise, but still poured out his heart to his darling, “No matter, what despicable person you met, you will still see the positive aspects of them. You are very considerate of other people and loyal. Sometimes to the point of silliness. Your simple and clean thinking makes you lovable, yet at the same time makes one worry to death. If I’m not beside you, I feel hopeless. I love you Junyao.”

 

Ba-thump~

 

Rong XingLi didn’t dare to look into Ruo Chen’s sincere eyes. “I don’t like you,” replied he as turned his back to Ruo Chen. Who in return buried his face into the back before him.

 

“I know…” muttered he thoughtfully.

 

Rong XingLi’s back was hot. An oppressive sense of guilt weighed down on him.

The one, you want to give your heart to, isn’t here anymore…

This chapter broke the 4k wordcount mark, banzaii!

Did you like the fluff? YaoZe is established!

They remind me on the younger me, that wanted to draw a romance action manga directed at both gender… but then I fell into the pit called BL (~°³°)~

 

31