Chapter 1: The Chicken or the Egg
81 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     In downtown New York, laying in a hospital bed is a young boy. Having just turned thirteen years old the day before, the child had been living in this hospital for many years out of his extremely young life. All of his hair has fallen out due to chemo therapy, his skin is pale as if he had not seen the sun in years. As he was lying there, fast asleep and dreaming of fantastical adventures and flying through the sky with the grace of a fighter jet, his heart began to fail. The heart monitor next to his bed started beeping faster and faster, whilst the only thing the boy saw in his dream, was that he was drawing closer to a human city. The hospital staff rushed into the room, doing everything they could to keep him alive.

     "Come on kid stay with us!" the main doctor said, giving him a shot of something to keep him from dying. "Doctor his heart is failing!" A nurse said with fear and exasperation. "No, no NO! Come on!" Unfortunately no matter what they did the kids heart kept failing, the beating getting faster and faster. Thus the heart monitor sounded off with one final beep and his heart stopped completely. Within his dream at that very moment, the boy reached the city and began to draw his breath. With a large inhale he blew out a torrent of flames and toxic fumes, scorching the city as he passed overhead, the screams of hundreds if not thousands could be heard below, and yet he did not care for the experience only served to elate him. However as he flew, he began to fall out of nowhere. His wings stopped working and he began falling to the ground. Falling from the sky with the speed of a commercial airliner, he plummeted hard to the ground. His anxiety went through the roof and right before he hit the ground, the boy only had one though on his mind, 'Oh No'.

     With a boom he landed face first in the ground, blacking out completely. He heard nothing, he felt nothing, he saw nothing. No breathing, no sounds of rubble and dirt falling to the ground, absolute silence. 'Hmmm, where am I' the boy wondered, 'i was just falling, why am I not in the city' he wondered. Sitting there in the nothingness, he felt like he was sitting there in the darkness for a very long time. Days, weeks, months or years, he felt like he had been waiting there for a long time. Then, suddenly a figure appeared in the darkness. a white silhouette, vaguely shaped like a person, eventually the shape drew loser and closer, becoming more and more defined as it approached. As it got closer, it got bigger and bigger. Soon, footsteps could be heard, *click, clack, click, clack* like high heals on a marble floor.

     As it drew ever so closer, its footsteps started sounded heavier and it got even bigger. *click, clack, click, clack, click, clonk, clink, clonk, clonk, cloom, cloOM, clOOM, cLOOM CLOOM, CLOOOM*. With every step it got louder and the being was finally right in from of the boy, a women as tall as a mountain stood before him. Bigger than anything he had every seen, and yet more beautiful then any women on earth could have ever become. Draped in the whitest and most beautiful of ball gowns, skin as golden as the sun itself and covered in the most shimering jewelry that any human could have ever seen. However those were not the most striking parts of her appearance, her eyes were the most striking of them all. Giving off a radiance so pure, blue as the deepest ocean and yet bright as the stars, looking into them gave the boy a feeling of the calmest of places, though places he had never been.

     "Daniel Sarkovich, you have lived such a sad life. Far too short and far too sad to rightfully be called a life. After watching over your time in the hospital, I have decided to give you a second life. One of health, one free from the cage that you were stuck in. One of freedom and prosperity. You will have more freedom to do what you choose in this life. No more chemo therapy, no more shots or surgeries. This will be a far better life, however be thoughtful of your decisions. Just because you are getting a second chance, that does not mean that others cannot take that from you. Grown big and strong, and try to enjoy your time in your next life. We may see each other again, but that is only if you make the right choices.

     The giant lady did not give his a chance to speak, picking his up onto her palm, she opened her mouth to blow a strange mist onto his form. A strange why mist that smelled of mint and pine. His vision then went white and faded to black again, though this time he actually felt something, he felt cramped... 'Uggg this is tight!!!' he thought, feeling as if he was just stuck in a box that was barely the size of a toddler. 'I have to get out! I am stuck! somebody help!' out of anxiety, he tried to struggle and push however for some reason he was unable to move. Just like in the void, he felt nothing except the tight space, not sight, no smell, just claustrophobia. Soon after his anxiety attack, he exhausted himself and fell asleep. With a start, he awoke again not knowing how long he had been in that space. Tis time he could feel something though, he had hands and feet however fell also felt something extra attached. Something was attached to him, swishing behind his back. He soon realized that he was soaking in something slimy, something thin and watery, yet slimy altogether. 'Eww this is gross' was the thought that ran through his head, unfortunately he still could not see anything, only darkness. He soon yet again fell asleep, unable to stay awake in this dark cramped space.

     Eventually he awoke again though this time was different. A slight glow illuminated the space he was in, as he opened his eyes he realized that he could finally see. What he saw surprised him, a white wall was right in from of his face. He looked down at he feet and saw a clear liquid, no longer slimy, it was now like water, where it was up to his waist before it is now only at his ankles. Unfortunately he could still barely move, however he could at least lift his arms. Lifting up his hands he noticed something strange. They were not normal hands, they were covered in blue scales, scales as blue as a clear sky day and strangely human like hands with those very same colored scaled and very short claws at the ends of his very human like scaled fingers. With his exploration out of the way, he fell asleep again and dreamed of nothing.

     Not long after, he awoke again, only to feel impossibly cramped! As if he was stuck in a bottle, he began to get scared again. Due to his fear, he yet again began to struggle. With a push and wriggle and a twist, he felt the space he was in flip over making him all the more terrified. 'Oh no, let me out!' he screamed in his mind, only letting out a tiny little whimper as he struggled. Soon he felt the space give way slightly. A crack where his left hand pushed, 'Oh thank goodness!' he thought, and with another push the crack got bigger. He then kept pushing and pushing until a missive web of cracks formed in front of him. Then it gave way, with a massive clatter the pieces pushed out giving him enough space to peek through. On the other side he saw a brightly lit cave and a series of eggs. With one last push the hole opened wide enough for him to pass through and with a good bit of effort, he crawled out of the hole and looked back at his white prison.

     'Oh, so it was an egg? that is strange... why was I in an egg' he pondered, only for him to begin hearing footsteps in the distance. *Thump... thump... thump...* the thumping steps got closer and closer until a figure appeared before him, a strangely shaped reptile with a human like face. At least 6 feet tall with scales of a deep blue color with massive wings on its back and a massive tale that was at least half as long as the creature is tall! 'what it that thing' he thought, backing up toward the egg he came out of, only to stumble onto his rear where his new appendage bent at an odd angle. With a loud *YIPE* he jumped up, having hurt his new limb and the creature rushed after him. "Oh no, did you hurt your tale?" the creature spoke as it picked him off the floor. "Oh its going to be fine baby, there there" the creature consoled him, confusing him to no end. With a clearly confused look on his face, he gave out a strange sound at the creature, "Squeck!".

3