Virides Rosa – Part IX
24 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I woke up the next day, surely enough, Fiora was laying in her bed sleeping together with her plank.

It seems she did get up late at night to get it and somehow slept comfortably despite being hugging the wooden carvings.

“Hey… Wake up.” I shook her gently to try and wake her up.

“Mnnn…”

“Well, let’s take this away then.” I started pulling the plank from her hands.

“Nuh…! Dun!” She pulled it closer to her and protested while still half asleep.

“C’mon, we need to go…”

“Mnnn… don’t wanna…”

“If you don’t get up now, I’ll really take it.” I started untangling her hands from around the plank so that I could pull it without hurting her.

“N-noooo…!”

“Then get up!”

“Mnnnkay~”

After about 10 minutes, I managed to get her out of bed and we headed down with her still looking a bit groggy.

When we got to the lower floor, I noticed that the rest of the workers had already woken up and were sitting down having their breakfast, so I guided Fiora to a table quietly and we began to eat our own.

The rest of the day passed in a flash with us repeating most of the same work we had done on the first bridge, and thankfully we were able to finish it all in under a day due to splitting up the work better.

Fiora spent the day working on her carvings, which she had filled the plank now halfway with, but occasionally she would be asked to help with tying up ropes and minor jobs.

Having finished there, and seeing that there were still some hours until the sun came down, we decided to pack up and go to the next location.

It was a bit further than what we could reach until sunset, so we slept in the ferry for the night, with some sailors taking turns keeping an eye out and conducting the ship.

We arrived on the next day, a little after breakfast. The second site was a bit easier of a job. It was on an island called Zara, which was a bit larger than Simar and mostly composed of rolling hills where farming communities had formed.

The place we were going to work at in specific was in the eastern town of Damiya which functioned as a trading hub in the routes from south to west.

The city was right at the side of the island, standing by the harbor, but it also bleed into the islets nearby that served as smaller docking stations connected to the main island by bridges. One of the main bridges had partially collapsed, so our job was mostly to raise it back up.

The work was only a matter of using the ferry and some cranes to lift it back up and secure the supports again.

When we were done with it, it was already almost time for the sun to vanish, so we stayed in a temporary lodging that was available in one of the islets before we set off the next day to Simar.

It was a quick trip, so we got there before noon with me guiding the conductor to sail around the island to where the bridge had fallen.

We repeated much the same process we had done in Sasara and got the bridge up before sunset. After that, we headed back to the docking station in the town.

The assistant told me they would stay at town for the night and set off the next day and asked me if I wanted to go together to deliver the report myself, but I refused since I wanted to go to my workshop as soon as possible.

I had been writing down the report of what we were doing every day after the work ended, so it was just a matter of reporting about this last bridge we worked on.

After I handed my report to the assistant, we bid our farewells and he headed to where he would be staying for the night.

As for me and Fiora… Well, I would have to see whether my workshop was still intact to know if we would have a roof to sleep under tonight.

“Fiora, let’s go. Now that the bridge is fixed, how about I show you where you’ll be staying?”

“Mnn…” She wasn’t paying much attention to my words since she was still in her practice mode, but she nodded slightly.

I’m pretty sure she’ll like it there, given how much time she spent staring at that plank of hers. Hopefully I can get her surprisingly workaholic side fixed, though. It’s not healthy for a kid her age to be sleeping late because she’s staring at wood carvings.

With that said, it’s best we go now.

3