Catēnae in Umbrās – Part VI
23 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, let’s start with the basic facts of the matter… I assume you have not much knowledge about the current situation?” The old man asked as me and Fiora sat back down.

“Well, the general strokes. I’m aware of the entire ‘world shift’ thing, though.”

“I guessed as much. Well, no matter. This recent event just served as the spark for all the things that were set in motion right now, so you don’t need to know that much about it. I assume you do know, even as an outlander, that you are currently at the Principality of Zara?”

“Yes…?” Both of us answered in unison with some confusion in our voices.

“Well, if you had been here maybe a generation or two ago, this would probably be known as just an island of the Principality of Vasilea. But about six decades ago, the leading Vasilești family peacefully transferred the power over the principality to the Zarăscu family to which I’m associated.”

Fiora let out a surprised noise and interjected. “Eh?! They just gave up their power willingly?! Why?”

I don’t know how she managed to gather the courage to interrupt him as he was talking, but she seemed to realize quite soon what she did and promptly covered her mouth.

While the man looked a bit miffed about being interrupted, he didn’t linger in it too long and just answered her. “I cannot fathom why they would do that. I was still a kid when it all happened and not much changed even though my family were vassals of the Zarăscu because rather than moving to the traditional seat of power from Vasilea to Zara and have since ruled from here.”

Hmmm… this all is starting to give me a headache. “So, why is this related to the current situation?”

He started tapping the table again, slightly annoyed. “Just wait and listen, I’ll get to it now. To make a long story short, despite the relatively tranquil transfer of power, there are still those who oppose the authority of the Zarăscu on the basis of ancient oaths on the surface, but their real reason was that it threw the principality out of its historical alignment. The main opposing families to the Zarăscu at the moment are the Damiescu and the Veruescu who have for generations sided with the Vasilești, which in turn was firmly in the Warhawk camp. But since the change in dynasties, the Stronghold aligned Zarăscu has slowly built bridges between us and the rest of the Stronghold faction, to the point of becoming an integral part of it.”

“You lost me, Warhawk? Stronghold?”

“Ah, I apologize. In layman's terms, both the Warhawk and Stronghold factions are militant factions, but while the former seeks the isles to take a more prominent and aggressive stance, the Stronghold faction prefers a more passive and defensive stance.”

“Ah, I see.”

“With that said, the Warhawks have been moving around quite a lot these days, which has made many in the Stronghold faction wary they might be seeking to take the spotlight in this new status quo. As a result the current Princess of Zara, Minodora Zarăscu, has been acting more aggressively in response. The building of new ships, the incorporation of lesser islands as outposts and her recent interest in acquiring knowledge of plants and crops from this new world are all plans being set in motion.”

“I assume it’s because she wants to secure her position since the Warhawks could encourage the old rulers to come back, right?”

“Ah, nothing of sorts. The current scion of Vasilea, Nicușor Vasilești, has been surprisingly coy as of recently. Cooperative, even. He’s been a main mediator between the Zarăscu and the nobles, especially after our lady took power despite the fact her actions ever since have painted the picture of a tyrant. I do have some curiosity as to why he had such a change of heart compared to his parents, but as long as he supports our lady I’m willing to overlook it.”

I reclined on my chair, folding my arms. “That so… Well, I don’t really care that much about all this politicking as long as I’m paid, and since the quest doesn’t seem like something that would be dangerous so we’ll be accepting it.”

“I’m happy you made the correct decision, even though you had to waste my time to do so.”

The man pointed at the paper he had passed on to me. “Take that and go to the harbor as I told you. You’ll be able to get on a ferry with that and they’ll take you to a suitable site to do the quest. Now go.”

I silently called Fiora and we both got up to leave. On our way out from the library, I could hear a faint mutter coming from where he was.

“Godspeed.”

2