Chapter 20: The first arrivals are…
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the sun gradually begins to set, the twilight comes to decorate the sky. The temperature is warm, the sea air and the surf in the distance offer a particular atmosphere which delights the heart of the ryôkan residents.

The setting of the Golden Pavilion is magnified when all the conditions are met, the warm light of the setting sun makes the golden reflections of the walls sparkle.

A succulent smell emanates from the bungalow and titillates the taste buds of the passers-by, Pierre Rémy does not fail to his title of a renowned chef.

My poet’s soul is awakening, I almost feel like quitting my job as a narrator to join Rina and her family, to take some vacations…

I’ll have to think about it. 

While waiting for the arrival of the guests, Rina and Pierre continue their preparations in the Pavilion while the parents of the young girl finish settling their business. 

“When are you going back to France, Remy-san?”

“Um, I’m going back from mid-October until mid-November, so in about a month and a half.”

“A whole month without your good food? It’s going to be hard for me, you know that?”

“Haha, gluttonous as you are, I don’t doubt it for a second.”

“If you don’t mind my asking, why are you going back? ”

“No problem, Rina. First I’m going there to visit my mom and my siblings. I’m also going to take the opportunity to spend the All Saints’ vacation with them.”

“The All Saints’ vacation?”

“It’s the French equivalent of the Japanese Obon, it’s a religious holiday, and the second day of November we celebrate the deceased and our ancestors.” 

“So there is an equivalent in France, um…”

“I’m also going there to participate in a cooking show on a French TV channel.”

“Wait, what!? You’re going to be on TV?”

“It’s just for one episode, but basically I’ll be the special guest for the day and I’ll be one of the judges tasting the candidates’ plans.”

“What kind of show is this?”

“It’s been a very popular show for the past few years, the show is all about showcasing promising young cooking talent in France. Sort of like a big national competition for people under the age of 20.”

“I didn’t know you had such notoriety… I’ll have to call you Remy-sama or Chef, right?”

“Haha, that’s a privilege that’s reserved for my apprentices and my team. If you’re ever tempted to follow the path of great cooking, we’ll talk about it.”

“But why you in particular?”

“I happen to know the chef who presents the show very well and he kindly asked me if I wanted to do a special Franco-Japanese cooking episode. I thought it might be interesting and it coincides perfectly with my coming to France this fall.”

“Unbelievable, you’re going to have to record the show, I want to see you on TV!”

“It’s asked with such enthusiasm. Okay, I’ll do that for you.”

“I’m going to eat a TV star’s food…”

“The taste isn’t going to change though you know.”

“Yes, but now that I know, I’m not going to be able to NOT think about it.”

“Still, avoid losing your concentration when you’re in the kitchen because now you’re on the verge of turning your little fingers into appetizers .”

A sharp knife should be used with care.

“We’re going to have to go over the basics together.”

“Okay…”

After 7 pm, isn’t it time for the guests to arrive? At least that’s what Rina thought as she waited impatiently in the Pavilion’s lounge.

“Aya or Sophie first? Aya is closer but with the shop, they might be a little late. On the other side, Sophie has to take the shuttle back from Shin Uragawa and come all the way here. I’ll put my money on Aya… I think…”

*Footsteps on the wooden pontoon of the Pavilion*.

“I’m letting myself in.”

“And the answer is…”

The sliding door opens to reveal…

“… Satsuki-san.”

“Ara, Rina-chan, are you alone? Mrs. Shimizu hasn’t come back?”

“No not yet, she had an emergency earlier, I don’t know if she’s done.”

“The first guests arrived, so I had them wait outside the fountain.”

“You can tell them to come, the pavilion is ready for them.”

“I’ll tell them, and I’ll go see if Mrs. Shimizu doesn’t need help. It would be a shame if she didn’t get to enjoy this evening.”

“Thank you Satsuki-san.”

Two minutes later, the sliding door opens again.

“And the answer is…Sophie and her parents!”

Rina rushes forward and takes Sophie’s hands.

“I was confident that Aya would get there first, but it turns out that Sophie is faster on this one.”

“Haha, let’s just say that with my parents we came back to the island earlier than planned to enjoy the Marina a bit.”

“It’s true that for back-to-school there are plenty of events on the beaches and the bay.”

Behind Sophie, her two parents are revealed.

Imagine an adult version of Sophie with slightly shorter hair and a shimmering maternal aura, one could almost believe that it would be her older sister and not her mother as she looks so young.

Next to her, without a doubt the father of the young girl. A tall, dark-eyed man with a somewhat shy air, but brimming with virility. What is sure is that he imposes. 

It had been a long time since Rina had the opportunity to meet her friend’s parents. To have to welcome them alone like this…

“Awawawa…”

That was for sure.

“Rina-chan ?”

Rina lifts her skirt slightly and leans forward to politely greet Sophie’s family.

“G- Good evening Mrs and Mr White, ni- nice to see you tonight fo- for our little party…”

“A curtsy… What’s up with you Rina-chan?”

Sophie puts her hand tenderly on the shoulder of the trembling Rina.

Sophie’s father looks at Rina, he seems to have understood the distress of their young hostess. He then turns his head towards his wife to whisper a few words to her but…

Sophie’s mother hurriedly picked up Rina and hugged her tightly to her chest.

*Choking Bruises*

“Kyaa, how long it’s been since I’ve seen you Rina, you’ve grown so much and you look so cute!” 

“Mom, what are you doing?!” 

“There you go, she couldn’t help herself…”

All this in English¹, of course, to make our heroine even more confused.

¹The characters generally speak in Japanese.

0