Chapter 26: Steam and good smell
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sophie, Aya, let’s go first! You’ll see, the open air bath in the pavilion is the best place in the whole ryokan.”

“It’s true that the last time I was here it was still being renovated.”

“Mummy, we’re going. See you in a bit.”

“Yes, of course, we will join you in a few minutes.”

Without further ado, the girls head for the bath. 

♪ hum hum hum ♪ 

“You look really happy Rina-chan.”

“You betcha, this is the first time I’ve had the opportunity to enjoy this outdoor bath.”

“You’ve never been there?”

“Yes, but not since its renovation. The work was finished last week and the pavilion was already booked as soon as it opened.”

“Don’t tell me you had to wait a whole week Rina?”

*Sob*

She looks at Aya while letting out big crocodile tears.

“Um…”

*pat pat*

“Yosh yosh Rina-chan, It must have been long for you, right?”

“Um…” 

She nods her head in agreement.

Upon entering the locker room, the girls immediately notice something unusual.

*Sniff sniff*

“Tell me Rina, it smells very good for an onsen. Is there incense or something like that?”

“I think Mummy had told me about something, that they had redesigned the composition of the water in the private baths. In fact, I think they worked with your parents, Sophie.”

“Um, that sounds vaguely familiar too. My dad does an awful lot of different things, he must have mentioned that once.”

“So Rina, is it the water that gives off that lovely smell?”

“Yes, it has the…theraptic effects.”

“TherapEUtic, you mean.”

“Yes, therapeutic. The classic baths are all very good but these are special according to Papa-san and Mummy. The first guests at the Pavilion came out of their stay looking so blissful, they looked like mofu mofu mochi.” 

“Oh~ You are a purveyor of dreams, Rina. Let’s go enjoy it quickly then.”

Small interlude the time to let these ladies go through the locker room.

The delicate smell of water, the soft steam that warms the skin, the warm light of the braziers and the magnificent starry night that sets the scene.

Only the bewitching sound of the waves disturbs the restful silence that reigns in this place. 

“Hum~ …” x3

Aya closes her eyes.

“I haven’t even gotten in the water yet I already feel better.”

“Let’s get cleaned up quickly before we dive in.”

On the right is a corner dedicated to the shower with stools, soaps, and basins for rinsing.

A little soap there, a little here, and of course let’s not forget the head. Always take care of your hair, and…

“… It’s good!”

“Already?”

“Sure. Now, let’s go into the bath of my dreams!”

The steam released by the water, under the effect of pareidolia, takes the shape of a large human silhouette.

Rina stares intently at this thing in front of her.

No one knows if it’s the intoxication of the relaxing atmosphere of the bath, but this steam seems, to Rina’s eyes, somewhat… aggressive? 

“Oh? You approaching me? Instead of running away, you’re coming right to me? The Pavilion bath?”

“I can’t relax if I don’t get close to you.”

“Oh ho! Then come as close as you like.”

Rina moves slowly but with phlegm and determination towards the pretentious steam.

Aya turns around with her eyes closed because of the soap suds.

“Did you say something Rina?”

The steamy figure instantly fades away and Rina does a half turn on herself.

“Huh!? Uh no, it’s-” 

*Whoosh*

*Bam* then *Splash*

“OW OW OW!”

“Rina, are you alright?”

“Yeah… I’m okay, I tripped against the ledge when I turned around a little too fast. I fell on my butt but I’m fine…”

“Be careful Rina-chan, an accident happens quickly.”

The door to the locker room opens with a bang.

“I thought I told you before to be careful in the baths.”

“Mummy?”

“Ara, you poor sweetie, you should ask her first if she’s okay Elsa.”

“Sophie’s Mumm… Um! Ashley-san, and Vanessa-san too!”

“Rina, do you know what can happen when you slip by a pool or bath?”

“Uh, I’m not sure…”

“It’s obvious, you can slip and fall into the water, twisting your ankle, then lose your balance again and crack your skull against the edge of the tub. Then you’ll bleed to death and your head injury will cause you to go into a coma or worse… your last breath.”

*Gulps*

“I… I hadn’t thought of it that way… I’ll have to rethink my ways.”

“You shouldn’t traumatize her like that, she’ll come to believe it, poor sweetie.”

“Rina is just as responsive as my dear husband in these situations, I tend to abuse these quirks a little too much to control them, ufufu.”

0