Chapter 6: Ceremony, childhood friends and little sister
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once the “wind” has died down, the campus regains its calm around the university park. As the girls prepare to enter the Dome¹ to attend the integration ceremony, Sophie turns around as if challenged by the change in atmosphere.

¹The Dome is the name of the amphitheater.

“Shu-chan, wasn’t that wind strange? I don’t know why but it seemed familiar.”

“You can ignore it, it was just that bloody rabbit Finn causing trouble. But don’t worry, he got calmed down by a long-time acquaintance of mine…”

“Heee? I didn’t know you knew anyone in Japan. Is that a spirit?”

“You could say that. Look ahead instead, Sophie, your friends are way ahead of you.”

“Ah! Rina-chan, Aya-chan, wait for me!”

The girls find themselves caught in a crowd of people all heading towards the Dome, the entrance to the building is chock-full but they still manage to make their way into the hall.

“Is everything okay Aya, Sophie? It’s always such a pain to get into the Dome when there’s an event like this.”

“We’re here, don’t worry Rina. Even a half hour early isn’t enough, people want the best seats.” 

“I’ve already done some scouting during this holiday, come on we need to go to seats #140 to #142, it’s in row K.”

“Why these seats specifically? Any seat will do”

“No no no, you’re off the mark Aya-dono, these are the perfect seats for this kind of occasion. We’ll be right in the center while having direct access to the central exit stairs. When it’s over, we’ll be the first ones out.”

“You really had time to waste this summer, didn’t you…”

“My Mummy always says to be well prepared before you go anywhere, so I took her advice to the letter.”

“Let’s just hope Rina-chan’s seats aren’t already taken…”

And … It is already the case …

“Nooo! All my comfort calculation efforts, gone up in smoke like that…”

“It’s okay Rina-chan, look the seats right behind are free.”

“Since we have no choice.”

The girls start to sit down in the previous row but strangely Aya stays standing, with a questioning look she stares at the person sitting in front of her, as if she knows him.

“Is something wrong Aya?”

Aya walks up to the person and pats his shoulder as if by reflex.

“Excuse me…”

It is a man with an imposing build and dreadlocks, who turns around, just as surprised and confused as Aya.

“Yes?…AH! It’s you Aya!”

The man gets up in one go of excitement and embraces Aya without warning.

“It’s been so long.”

Aya doesn’t have time to understand what’s happening to her when she turns instantly red. This is the second time today that she is so embarrassed.

She pushes back ardently the man to get rid of his embrace however so friendly.

“What are you doing in front of everyone, this is not the US here Noah.”

“Ahahah, sorry, it’s on the spur of the moment, it’s been so long since I’ve seen my dudette that I forgot my manners.”

Rina and Sophie sit and stare at Aya and this man they don’t seem to know.

“Aya, can you introduce us?”

“Aaah, sorry, I’m still in shock to see him again, here… I’d like you to meet Noah Simmons, you could say he’s sort of a childhood friend when I still lived in Singapore.” 

“Kind of childhood friends, you’re really hard on me when you used to follow me around when we were kids.”

“DON’T RUB IT IN !”

“Anyway, nice to meet you…”

“Rina on the right and Sophie on the left… Behave properly with them, okay?”

“Nice to meet you Simmons-san.”

“Like Sophie, nice to meet you.”

“Call me Noah, you are my dudette Aya’s friends after all.”

As the girls get to know Noah a little better, the ceremony is about to begin, the lights dim, everyone finally sits down in their seats and silence settles in.

A woman climbs to the stage and stands in front of the lectern to speak.

“First of all I would like to welcome you all and thank you for being here for this special edition of the induction ceremony. I would like to introduce myself for the new students who have arrived this year at Kumiai, I am the director of the high school section of the campus, Kotegawa Saori, thank you in advance for your attention, many new things will be introduced to you this morning.”

A giant screen appears behind the director from the ceiling.

“Before we begin…. Mr. Simmons, please step outside the Dome, this day is for high school and college students only, you already had your induction day last week.”

The students look at each other, confused not knowing who the direction is for until Noah stands up and the entire audience turns to him.

“That’s not nice Kotegawa-sensei, there’s plenty of room for everyone here.”

“That’s not the point Mr. Simmons, you are not concerned with this conference. And I’m sure you have other, much more important things to do, such as preparing for the club’s open house of which you are the president.”

“AAAAAAAAH! That’s right… Sorry for the inconvenience but I have to go now, have a great integration day everyone… And see you later dudette.”

Aya crouches down to hide.

“What a fool…”

In one fell swoop, Noah leaps over the railing of the central staircase and before you know it, disappears from the Dome.

A slight hubbub settles in the room, generated by the confusion, laughter and discussions between the students.

“After this little interlude, I urge you to refocus on what I am now going to show you, this is a promotional video created by the video and photo editing club of the middle school section with the participation of the digital art club and the music club. This is a student project that will be used to promote the island within the island and on the networks for the next six months.”

Familiar classical music plays and the video starts. This is the same promotional video that is currently playing on the island’s screens. I think it is even possible to find this video on the official website of the island…

“So much for the little surprise that serves as an appetizer before we begin this morning. Once again, we thank the clubs that participated in the making of this video.”

Rina seems to remember watching this video everywhere in the last few days.

“Hey, I thought this video was different from all the ones that are usually on the screens. It was produced by middle school clubs.”

“It’s admirable that people so young are able to participate in the development of the island’s image like this.”

A young girl wearing a middle school uniform comes to the foot of the stage, Mrs. Kotegawa takes the floor to introduce the first person who is to make an official speech.

“Now comes a speech from the representative of the Kumiai middle school section, last year’s middle school student council president, Shimizu Sana.”

The young girl climbs the stairs, her elegance, her calm and her presence leaves the assembly speechless. Her look speaks volumes about her qualifications as a former president of such a prestigious school.

“Just like last year, Sana-chan is giving the speech for the middle school part. You must be proud of her Rina-chan?”

“I’m torn between pride and jealousy, she’s been able to get closer to Mum’s level much faster than I have. This year I’m going to do everything I can to get closer to my goal.”

“We support you Rina-chan, go for it!”

Link to the promotional video of Kumiai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAoMLXgj074

0