Chapter 10: The end of a long morning
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miss Wilson tries to restore calm in the room by reassuring the students and teachers of the situation that has just occurred.

There are still two robots to present, hoping that everything goes well.

“As I was saying, dear students and teachers here, I am sorry that you had to witness such a sad scene, the professor’s lack of precaution is unacceptable. I will personally see to it that he does not put you in danger in the future.”

Miss Kotegawa, annoyed, calls out to Miss Wilson.

“Would you please resume and finish the presentation of this project Professor Wilson? Obviously we will have a discussion with Professor Melon this afternoon.”

“Haha, yes no worries Director Kotegawa, on behalf of Professor Melon’s research and development group, I humbly apologize for this inconvenience.”

“Hmm.”

It’s unusual for Miss Wilson to lose face like that in front of someone, yet the cold and relentless scientist is not one to be intimidated.

“Well, so now that unit 003 has been put out of service due to the appearance of a software malfunction, it’s time to present the last two units here. Let’s start with unit 004 first, Nadeshiko.”

“Nadeshiko, at your service Miss Wilson.”

“As the professor said earlier, units 003 to 100 are special in that they all have different personalities and specialties. Nadeshiko is a unit designed to meet the needs of students in the academic section specifically.”

“Ufufu, absolutely, at the moment you are too young for me dear student but I am looking forward to giving you ‘lessons’ when you are in university…”

“…”

What a sensual tone in that line, I almost tremble with excitement. I think this unit was programmed with the personality of a man-eater.

“As you can see, Nadeshiko is somewhat of a tease, but she will be a great help to those wanting specific information about the university section of the campus. You will naturally find her in the garden in front of the university reception building.”

“Ara ara, saying I’m teasing is not very nice Miss Wilson, those poor little lambs will be afraid to approach me. If you need advice on where to go after high school, I can give you details on college majors and courses.”

“Exactly, Nadeshiko will be more effective in post high school guidance than Christopher or Alyssa can be.”

“Yes, that and also for love and relationship advice, I can teach you a lot about how to seduce your loved one. The door to the adult world will be wide open for you with me.”

“No it wasn’t necessary, and it’s not part of your core programs, I’d love to know what it’s about.”

“Ara, Professor Melon has kindly given me an extension of duties as a result of my request. If I am to work with adults and young people in search of maturity, it is my duty to teach them all sorts of things…”

“One more thing I should clear up with that damn professor. Um, thanks to you Nadeshiko, you can give your slot to David please.”

“My time on stage will have been shorter than others, it’s a little disappointing…”

“We need to get this over with quickly, no more time for the show, we’ve already made way too much of a fool of ourselves with Michael.”

“You skinflint… your turn David.”

“Unit 005, David, please move forward.”

No response.

“Don’t tell me that…”

Miss Wilson approaches to check the state of the robot, no sign of physical defect but… the power is cut, the robot is no longer in service?

“What now? This unit is always off I don’t understand how that’s possible. Excuse me for just a second, I’m going to reboot the robot!” She exclaims to the audience. 

Poor Miss Wilson, not only does she have to finish her superior’s work for him, but she also makes a fool of herself in front of teenagers. 

You can see her frustration and embarrassment on her face that she tries so hard to hide behind a fake smile.

“There’s no point in looking for a flaw in David Miss Wilson, he has none.”

“What do you mean, Nadeshiko?”

“He has no design flaws, nor is he broken, he’s just a huge slacker that turned off himself during Christopher’s presentation at the very beginning.”

“What…”

“Professor Melon has programmed a very unproductive personality for David, he’s a real slacker, you won’t find lazier than him even among humans.”

“Wait, you mean to tell me that this ROBOT turned off itself because it was too lazy to wait? A ROBOT?”

“We perform very well when it comes to respecting our personality.”

A small vein of anger on Miss Wilson’s forehead appears. Her eyes darkened by a feeling of deep hatred and despair, she takes her momentum and gives a powerful kick to the metal buttocks of the turned off robot.

*BAM!*

The kick is so powerful that it sends David flying across the stage, resulting in… turning the unit back on? 

“What the hell? Hey, who turned me on like that? And why am I lying on the floor? I was doing a great upgrade, there was even this great drink machine courting me… that was terrific!”

So sometimes a good kick to get an electronic device going again works. Just don’t do it at home and certainly not on private or public property.

“You… stand up and get back in line.”

“Isn’t it my turn to introduce myself?”

“You lost your moment of glory the very moment you decided to incur my wrath. Straighten up and get back in line, I’ll introduce you in less than ten seconds watch in hand and after that you’ll know hell.”

*gulping sound*

Wait, they even manage to simulate a *gulping sound*, it’s going to lose our readers if they are really that realistic, but I can’t use the pronoun “it” anymore, I have to consider them as humans these robots.

David complies by taking his time, which has a knack for getting on Miss Wilson’s nerves. He quietly returns to his row, his nonchalance is frightening; are we really sure that he will be of any use on campus?

“SO! David, Unit 005, specializing in nature and environmental knowledge, it’s roaming the campus nature park and it’s a huge failure.”

… 

What a dead silence in the room, a mixture of uneasiness and confusion sprinkles the situation.

“Thank you for attending Professor Melon’s presentation of the KS00 project and unfortunately myself on the second part. I once again apologize profusely to the teachers and Director Kotegawa here and to all of you for this miserable performance.”

Some applause comes to punctuate this end message, a kind of compassion is felt for the poor Miss Wilson.

“The presentation of this project that we hold dear to our hearts may have been a total fiasco, but I assure you that the interest is real and the final realization will only be better. Today I learned a lesson: Never trust a mad scientist psychopath who doesn’t even respect his own rules. With that, have a great day and enjoy this new school year.”

She turns to the four remaining units and orders them to return to the USRC lab. 

*BAM!*

And she takes the opportunity to give a punch to David in passing.

Director Kotegawa takes over the reins, she too seems to have had more than enough of this catastrophic presentation.

“Um, so it didn’t quite go as planned but at least this conference is over. I’m not going to make you wait any longer, this half day is now over. So I invite you to leave the Dome quietly and take advantage of this two-hour break to get something to eat. The cafeteria is open and there are many shops available near the campus. Have a good day, everyone.”

The students get up little by little to leave the room. Ms. Kotegawa, with a determined and somewhat annoyed step, goes backstage. We can hear the teachers’ exchanges on the side of the stage.

“It’s going to be a blast, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the director like this.”

“Melon-chan is dead meat.”

“What an idea also to choose such crazy robots for his performance, they should have prepared better.”

And from Rina’s point of view.

“I’M HUNGRY!”

“Didn’t you have breakfast this morning? And I gave you two extra skewers.”

“Yes, but I’m hungry anyway…”

“Rina-chan is insatiable, haha. Anyway, this late morning was completely rocky.”

“It’s true, I didn’t expect that from a renowned scientist like Professor Melon.”

“This is the first time you’ve been to one of these conferences, that’s why. It always happens this way when he comes to present an invention. Those who know him must have been looking forward to his appearance on stage.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah it’s almost like a TV show, people can’t wait to see the next episode, like a kind of comedy series.”

“That doesn’t take away from the fact that I’m hungry…”

0