Chapter 19: Preparing a banquet or a simple dinner with friends?
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I would have preferred if Mummy had told me earlier about this evening with Aya and Sophie’s parents, I could have been better prepared to receive them properly.

Rina is daydreaming as she walks through the busy alleys of the ryôkan towards the Golden Pavilion, the most beautiful and luxurious suite of the whole inn. 

Imagine, a magnificent secluded outbuilding with an open-air bath, a terrace with a view of the sea, a private sauna and top-of-the-line service… the dream.

“Um, I’ll have to think about an outfit for tonight too, casual or formal? I should have asked Mummy what kind of event she was planning to do…”

A hand comes to rest gently on the shoulder of Rina and a sweet voice in the hollow of her ear comes to call her.

“Put on whatever outfit you like Rina, it’s also for you that I’m organizing this party.”

*Intense chills*

She turns around with a start and looks with wide eyes behind her.

“Wh- !” 

“It’s a bad habit you have there to stop looking around when you’re daydreaming Rina. You’ll have to remedy that.”

“Mu… Mummy?”

“It’s good that you got here early enough, you’ll be able to help us finish some preparations.”

“Don’t scare me like that, I thought I was going to have a stroke… I thought you would be at the Pavilion.”

“I was there, I just came to see how your dad is doing. I mean, mostly to see if he’s doing his job right, ufufu.”

“Ah, he’s still in the lobby with his mop. He was down when I got there.”

“If he can’t do it at home, at least he does it at his workplace. Too bad it’s under duress…” 

An employee of the inn appears, confused, in front of Rina and her mother.

“Excuse me for bothering you Shimizu-san, I have a small issue with a guest, I know you are busy tonight but could you come and help me, the case is a bit special…”

“That’s perfect timing, my daughter is going to take over so I’m available right now, I’ll follow you.”

Without a second thought, Elsa takes the opportunity to slip away.

“Hey?! What about the party?”

“I won’t be long, I’ll obviously be back later. Pierre is finishing up preparations for tonight’s meal, so go help him finish, he’s at the Pavilion right now.”

“I don’t even know what you want to do.”

“You’re on your own, sweetie.”

Running away from her responsibilities? No, that’s not Elsa’s style. Putting her daughter in an unexpected and stressful situation to see how she does and taking advantage of it to make her mature? Yes, we are more in those tones.

In the meantime, Rina finds herself alone, left behind by her mother.

“She always makes me finish her chores, so can’t she see that I’m coming back from a trying first day of school?”

Distraught but still obliged to do what she told her (because mothers have that power), Rina resumed her way to the Pavilion.

Rémy-san is already there so… I hope he will prepare the meal for tonight, Rémy-san has not stolen his status of French star chef. Only his cookies surpass those of mom and that’s no mean feat.

Be careful not to drool Rina, it is not very elegant for a young girl.

The Pavilion has been specially fitted out for the evening, it is necessary to be able to welcome the guests at the table of the chef Pierre Rémy. 

Oh, speak of the devil…

“Oye, Rémy-san.”

The chef turns around when he hears the voice of his bosses’ daughter.

He is a man of about forty years old, rather tall with blue eyes as cold as comforting.

“Ah Rina, I was just waiting for you. Elsa told me you were going to join us soon enough, it’s perfect that you are here now.”

“She managed to duck out earlier and now I have to come and finish her work for her, thank goodness she has a daughter as competent and understanding as me, hahaha.”

“She’ll always get you, there’s nothing you can do about it, that’s the unique power of moms.”

Hey, that’s what I said earlier! You, we’re not going to be friends if you start taking my lines like that, I’m going to claim my copyright…

“So Remy-san, what can I do to help you?”

“Well, I still have to make the drinks and set out the appetizers for the apéritif.”

“The aperi… The what?

“Aperitif is the term we use in France to refer to the small hors d’oeuvres and drinks that are served before a meal.”

“Another elaborate trick of French cuisine.”

“Haha, elaborate I wouldn’t say that. Originally it was simply the name of an alcoholic drink that you would have before a meal. But nowadays, it is more commonly used to refer to a kind of popular “pre-meal”. Besides, the French often use small salty bites like crisps or even charcuterie as an aperitif.”

“And that’s what we’re getting for tonight?”

“No, this should be a memorable evening for you and your parents, I’ve concocted more elaborate and digestible appetizers for you.”

“Too bad, I would have liked to try it…”

“Next chance I’ll bring you something to make a typical French aperitif.”

“Yes, I can’t wait.”

“On that note, we still have a few things to finalize, so get to work!”

“Yes, sir”

Rina and Pierre are working on their last preparations quietly before the end of the afternoon. 

Little improvised cooking lessons from the great chef Rémy. By the way, when it comes to food, Rina is immediately much more interested and enthusiastic. 

“Can I see the menu for tonight Remy-san?”

“Sure, here look, I printed it.”

She conscientiously reads the menu designed especially for this evening by Pierre.

“Hors d’œuvre… Salad… Soup… Fish… Meat… Main course… Dessert… Drink…”

“So? I hope this whets your appetite? I put my heart into it.

“Uh… How can I put this… I do feel an insatiable urge to eat your food but… isn’t that a lot?”

“For a simple meal with friends, though, I thought of a simplified version of a true full gourmet meal.”

“It’s more than just a meal at this level, it’s a king’s banquet!”

“I’ll take that as a compliment, however I’m going to have to give you a few more lessons on culinary culture…”

“Anyway now I’m hungry.”

“That’s the most important thing to me.”

0