Chapter 6- A Stubborn Mule
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

February 22

"Where is your General??" Someone rushed into the hall of busy and working bodies. Usually, people would have paved a way for him like he was a great snake slithering through. But for today, the investigation bureau seemed to have lost its essential collectiveness unlike the man at the center of them all with brightly lit eyes and an unparallel focus.

Some people had taken notice of the guest and they placed down their scrolls and brushes and stopped grinding their ink. "Chief Commander Yang!" They all shouted in unison much like a call beckoning others to halt.

"General Gu!" Yang Zhou was smooth in restraining from addressing the man like he would have behind doors even though he nearly did slip up because of the stirring aggravation emotion. "What do you mean you have found the murderer?"

"Haven't Captain Shao relaid onto you all that I have known?" Gu Changming placed his gaze slowly on the tall looming body of his cousin. He also stood up very slowly to greet his boss. This was not usually the case. He would always retain a sort of formal and respectful distance between his personal and work relationship, however, he felt very bothered today. Bothered that he had to give away a few minutes of his working time explaining himself in which he believed he did not have time to do.

"This is the Midnight Magnolia we're talking about! If you have caught him, why haven't I seen his haggard body being dragged behind your horse already? My great cousin, you would not have let him get away."

"Calm down, Chief Commander. If you had paid close attention to what your subordinate relaid onto you, you would have realized how I phrased 'He is a suspect.' and not a convicted murderer as you have carelessly rushed to believe." General Gu fell back down on his chair resuming to read what looked like a mountain of scrolls piled up on his desk.

The onlookers immediately returned to their designated work not daring to listen anymore because it pricked their skins every day to have seen firsthand the terror of General Gu. No matter how high a person's rank was, as long as they stepped inside this headquarter, they were as fine as a bunny in a tiger den.

It may have been too exaggerated as it only got as high as General Gu's father, the Chief Sect Leader. However, all of them believed so undoubtedly in their heart that Gu Changming was potentially one of the most dangerous men in this continent.

Yang Zhou felt like suffocating that neck of his person for being so brazen but he was too shaken at the core of his being that he actually wished to listen more.

"We don't have yet concrete evidence nor witnesses to prove his crime. However, he must have at least some relations or information about the real killer stored inside on a tight leash."

"What you mean is he is the treasure or the key to the treasure itself?"

General Gu sounded upset, "It is outrageous to compare him to a treasure. Chief Commander, Wan Mingyue is an assassin and a suspect murderer. He is destined to be behind the prison's bar never to run his atrocious mouth ever again in his abominable lifetime."

Yang Zhou leaned back slightly, overwhelmed by the aura. He suddenly became very interested in the ink grinder as he clicked his tongue with a slow voice, "Yes, all of which you have spoken is an undeniable truth. The Midnight Magnolia and anybody of his association shall be rid of in this peaceful continent. Our people shall no longer live in fear and pray day and night to the temples. So...what is your plan?"

"It is not yet found the family registration of the suspect. I am concerned as to whether it is even possible to find his name."

"If they are of slave families, it is bound to be a headache. Going through each lord's household will take us at least two weeks. It would turn out a waste if the name is fake as well. General Gu, you are better off go searching. And, employ as many officers as you deem necessary."

Gu Changming placed back his scroll, he seemed to be reminded of something. "You are right, Chief Commander. Wan Mingyue is an assassin, he shall not be from a noble family nor a sect." When he rose up from his seat, Yang Zhou was confused.

"What...Where are you going?"

"In fact, I shall bring him here myself. I shall not fail this time lest I will cut both my feet and never step upon this threshold again."

Panic was the surname Yang, "The captain can complete the job. You stay here and meet with the Nightstone's sect leader. He has made a complaint to me regarding your behavior and his safety. Even if you're a General, you must not ignore a person of higher rank like this."

Everybody knew it was useless to file a complaint about Gu Changming but it should be applauded to the old man. Maybe he had gone too senile due to the sleepless nights waiting for his turn to die under the murderer's hand or maybe he was truly outraged and desired a revolution of some sort to save his face. But, he had indeed tried his utmost best because he managed to score a meeting approved by the big boss at least.

Gu Changming didn't seem to even hear him as he beckoned one of his officers, "Relay this to the Captain after he returns. I will be in Meijing until I capture the suspect. This matter and the identity of the suspect must be kept a secret until I permit. There should be no interruption and weekly reports must be delivered."

Yang Zhou sighed in utter defeat. At least, his cousin was devoted to his job, a little bit too much perhaps. It was never difficult to deal with the aftermath of his temper when he had such concrete and solid excuse.

-

Meijing had not changed upon the week he had left. Gu Changming had visited the handicapped old man left behind by the pervert and he was by far not coping too well and wept for his son every day living temporarily with a caretaker the General had hired temporarily.

He had been offered to be transferred to the Gu's family servant quarter however his old sentiment to his hometown and son made him more willing to beg on the streets rather than move to someone's home. It was unfortunate that his son was a miserable sexual offender otherwise he would have lived a better retirement life.

When Gu Changming arrived at Baidu Inn, the waiter boy recognized him immediately, "Young master! You have chosen our restaurant again! Is it our food and refreshments you like or perhaps the company?" Cheeky like a hyena, his huge eyes averted to the empty seat in front of the magnolia painting making an unmistakable point, unlike his innocent look.

General Gu also made a point gripping the hilt of his sword. Thereafter, he was shown to his seat politely without many teasing remarks. "Tell me everything you know about the man who tends to eat here."

The waiter boy seemed to have expected it because he answered with a smile and a reasoning tone, "Young master, as much as I am fearful of you, sir, my humble self will never snitch on young master Wan. Behold, he is the master of all master in this town. I do not dare to get on his bad side."

Listening to him made Gu Changming held his patience with gritted teeth, "You are nothing but a small boy. Only animals have the conscience to hurt you. Besides, he will not touch you if I'm here. Or is it the coins that you wish for? It is not a problem."

The young boy raised up his tray to his chest shaking his head like a little rascal with a pout. "Qian Yang is a man of his words. Young master Wan taught me well not to be a little snitching fox lest he cut off my weekly offerings. In this case, whoever offers a deal first, I shall abide by the rule."

The man wasn't quick to talk anymore. In fact, he was rendered speechless by this stubborn mule. He must have learned to be this crafty from his teacher which was more of a reason for General Gu to eradicate this pollution to the later generations.

After an angry lunch, he traveled towards the outskirt where potteries were sold. Along the row were tiny camping homes. Some had upgraded to small cray houses while some were patched up with palm leaves and a bit of old cloth. Most of them were single males who were not fit elementally and physically enough to pass as cultivators. For some reason, pottery-making became a popular choice as a career.

Gu Changming stopped in front of one of the few little clay homes and he was met with a loud remark, "It's you again! Go now! You cause me enough trouble. I will not speak." It was the red nose man who called himself 'Xia Lei'.

"Where is your boss?"

"Boss, who! Eh! I don't have one! The bastard fired me for finding him a client. I don't know if he is sane anymore. Do not speak of him." He was crouching among his many potteries, just cutting another lump of clay to start.

The pit fire where General Gu was standing seemed to explode leaking its red hungry frame everywhere around its earthen body. It had caught the owner's attention. "Where is he, I ask again?"

He would be a fool to not have realized, "I...I don't know where he is! He comes and goes like a shadow! I don't even know if I was talking to a ghost or a human."

"Lie to me again and this pit fire will explode in your face."

Red nose Xia Lei abruptly fell on his butt when a loud crackle of fire shocked his ears. Some fire sparkles dotted his arm and burnt the black hair. He was already beginning to form snots around his nose as he whimpered in a low tone, "I really don't know where he is most of the time. All I do is wait for him by the willow tree. If he shows up before I do, it means he is ready for a job. If he doesn't, I go back home."

"Where is that willow tree?"

"By the entrance to the old shrine. It's just behind this street."

"I will see you again...if you lie."

The birds were chirping vigorously when he spotted the tiny red shrine build against the background of rowdy bushes and the long curtain of sunburnt strings of willow. There was no waiting soul against expectation. However, a single apple was freshly rotting against the offering plate.

When night came, the sad willow whistled like a bone-chilling lullaby. General Gu was listening beside the shrine. From behind, he looked like a guarding god, his face seemed to be as still as the full moon.

He was waiting for that one person for half a day now. He might as well sleep there that midnight from the uttered silence. The owls had never seen this stranger so they never hooted as a warm welcome.

Suddenly, someone sighed. His breath was very loud and cold as if he wanted to signal his presence.

Gu Changming immediately unsheathed his sword. The red glow flashed into both their eyes like the vicious glare of fury. "Wan Mingyue."

The man who had approached him was in fact not really approaching him at all. He leaped onto the willow branch with quite a sour face. In his delicate hands were two jars of wine. Silently, he chugged down the liquid and stared at the moon and falling snow. "I was busy taking care of the snitch."

 

 

0