Chapter 14- Ancestral Lite (2)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gu Changming only felt the ripping pain of his arm as he rolled along with the rough sticks and stones of the riverbank.

The dagger has missed and disappeared into the dark woods. More importantly, Wan Mingyue was the one who protected him. His sicken face caught some colors from the sudden attack and he immediately rushed towards the mysterious foe.

Gu Changming felt a familiarity with the flashes of white clothes dancing in the sky battling with his partner. He was quick to avoid a heavy explosion that had landed a foot away from him. It was no tangible weapon of the sort but it was a dark glow of spiritual energy that had blackened the plot of earth.

With his sword in his hand, he probed himself up. Swiping the blood off his forehead, he weaved his fingers skillfully in the air. A sudden golden glow enveloped him as both his palms were motioning for something in the distance.

Wan Mingyue was without his sword because he had also left it in the manor. In a desperate measure to defend himself, he could not sneak a time to take his mind away to summon his sword from the attacks on all his sides. His hands and feet were sore from blocking the moves against the three red-eyed demons and he knew he would go down soon if he was to be hit with one of their spiritual blows.

Pale fingers suddenly reached for him in a flash and he had only started to brace himself but something gigantic and scathing had maneuvered around him and cleverly scored at the demon. It was like watching a spectacular scene of shooting stars from another world above as gorgeous frames hit the soil.

He landed softly on his feet but they gave up on him.

"Are you ok?" Gu Changming asked from behind. Silently, he plopped down himself as well.

Wan Mingyue wasn't looking at him but at the pieces of remains from the fire in the air. "I understand why people are fearful of you," he muttered slowly.

"What happened to you inside the statue?"

"..." He gazed at the river for quite a long time. "I had a bad dream."

Gu Changming did not know what to say so he only lit up a ball of fire on the askew sticks nearby. "You must be cold."

"Cold doesn't bother me. You are the one with the fire element." Even though he said so, he spread his fingers over the fire.

"So those were demons?"

"Yes."

"...They really wore white attires."

Wan Mingyue turned to him, "Not all good is white, and not all white is good."

"You have not told me of their intentions."

"Should you not have guessed by now?" He sighed. "They gather souls, wicked and good, to feed their master. The wicked who are alive become experimentations. Thus, they become half-demons."

The word 'master' had given him a lot of thought.

They warmed their clothes over the fire and enjoyed the silence of the calm after a storm. At some point, Gu Changming spoke again, "Those prisoners...they do not deserve such a death. At least not in the hands of the demons."

"Haven't history class taught you that the more evil a man is, the more chance he will transform into a demon?"

"It is nothing but a myth used to educate children."

Wan Mingyue suddenly chuckled sarcastically but he didn't speak anymore.

"So Mao Wu used prisoners' souls to pass suspicions. I should have seen through his tricks. I'm truly not capable." General Gu took off his outer robe and adjusted it on the ground. Then he laid down nonchalantly like he was exhausted of the world and of himself.

Wan Mingyue had never seen him like this. Unrestrained.

"It seems obvious once you find out," he stroked the fire and his eyes were downcast. "At least, you can do something about it now."

"Thank you."

The moon hung brighter.

"I didn't praise you, idiot."

-

They spent the night resting on the ground and even though the night should be cold, miraculous energy in the air had kept Wan Mingyue warmed. He woke up a little late and he looked quite surprised to find Gu Changming gazing over the river.

"Let's go before your annoying friend comes knocking at your door."

"Friend?" General Gu understood after that and he could only sigh.

"Is your arm ok?"

Surprised found General Gu instead this time, "How did you know?"

"You whined like a sick dog last night."

His face immediately changed to anger, "Bastard."

"I was lying."

A concerned face greeted them at the manor. "M-my lord?" He was the boy servant of General Gu's manor. Last night he was nearly killed by his master's flying sword so he couldn't stop trembling as he took the two to the main hall. "I will call over the Great Doctor this instant!"

A few servants came forward to wipe his arms and face. And, Wan Mingyue only looked away in disgust. Gu Changming was no different from a spoiled prince with an idealistic view and an overinflated ego the more he got to know him.

After they were treated properly by the doctor, Wan Mingyue was trying to leave. But, someone blocked his path by the door. He soon recognized the person but he said no greetings and left in the direction of the Nightstone Sect.

"Who was that, cousin?" Yang Zhuo asked although he looked complicated and suspicious.

Gu Changming froze in his chair but he tried to expel the surprise on his face, "Just someone that was freed from prison. He was too grateful that I had enlightened him to do good."

Yang Zhuo turned to Pan Pan, the boy servant, who was grinding ink quietly by the table. As expected, the boy only nodded.

"What's wrong with your arm?"

"Why is everyone saying that?" General Gu threw his scroll.

"It's obvious, you idiot. You always grind ink by yourself sprouting some bullshit about genuine effort...I'm here to talk about the favor you've asked of me, your majesty."

This has made him serious, "Have you gotten his badge?"

Yang Zhuo shook his head disappointedly but in his expression, you could tell that he has expected it. "Under one condition though."

"I must give up on the Midnight Magnolia case?"

"You know him, ah Ming. He's overprotective because you're his only family. Cut him some slacks-"

"Don't speak anymore." The air was tense. Pan Pan appeared to have lost his confidence in staying but he could not move because of fear. "If he doesn't give me the badge, I'll find another way. I'll make those people rot in hell."

-

April 5th

After the order from Gu Changming to allow the Sect to return to its normal schedule after the investigation of Midnight Magnolia's sixth murder, the classes have been arranged again. Although the Nightstone Sect was one of the established sects in Liyuan, its security was very loose due to the fact that it laid near the center of the town where the Bureau of Investigation tended to dispatch security from day until dawn.

Not only could General Gu skillfully maneuver around his own people, but he could also slip in and out easily through the gate where only a name tag was required. He was amazing just like that. When he arrived in his dorm room as Yang Yue, there was already someone waiting by the table.

"Wan Mingyue, right on time-"

"Aha! I caught you!" The brimming face of Hua Ning appeared fully before his eyes. He immediately lit up a candle nearby. "Brother, you have underestimated me! Don't think I don't know what you two are up to! What kind of rendezvous have you guys gone to without me, hah?"

Gu Changming seemed dumbstruck, not to mention understood what that brother was speaking about. "What are you doing in my room?"

"Ai yah! There's no need to be embarrassed! Everyone has unique tastes. If I am going to be honest, Brother Wan is not that bad either," he ambitiously winked. Then he wiggled his body around as if to look for something. "Brother Wan? Brother Wan? Why are you hiding? I already said I do not mind."

"What nonsense are you spouting?? Why would he be with me??"

Hua Ning blinked a little but his smile started to freeze, "Hold on. I thought you two...Then where is brother Wan??" He started to cover his mouth with his fan and it was his turn to be embarrassed. "I-I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I had too much time on my hand that I started to get weird ideas. It was just too coincidental that you two haven't been in your rooms."

Again, General Gu was flabbergasted. "I was indeed gone. However, Wan Mingyue should be here. Not that I know why."

"He's been gone for five days including today. Brother Gu, I'm sure because I have been knocking on his door."

Gu Changming flashed out of the door in an instant. When he broke open the other's room, there was nothing but darkness. Someone muttered curiously behind him, "It was honestly hard to avoid suspicion. I have to lie that he was sick to the senior disciples otherwise they would realize that he sneaked out because there was no light in his room."

Those seniors are stupid. He thought even though he was grateful. Where did this idiot go without informing me of his plan?

"He must have given up on his study."

Hua Ning seemed rather amused, "Give up? Him? Not likely. He's the Sect's famous junior."

"Did I ask for your opinion?" General Gu glared before trudging back to his room.

"Jealous much?" Hua Ning snickered by himself behind his folding fan.

-

April 11th

Caption Shao was rushing like a mouse from a cat. Su Lan and the others watched him with deep incomprehension, a sense of admiration and disappointment were both displayed on their faces simultaneously.

When he saw that they were idling away, he hurried over with a scolding face. "General is coming soon. Get back to your work before he scolds us. Tomorrow is a big day."

Su Lan hugged her arms, "Captain, he is working you like a well-tanned ox. You can distribute some of those scrolls to us and he wouldn't know. He's too distracted these days."

"What are you talking about? He assigned me a confidential duty. I must see to it myself even if I work myself to the bones."

"It's those damn Nightstone Sect again, isn't it? They are so desperate in trying to ruin the General's reputation. It's so obvious they just have a grudge against him. It has nothing to do with the Midnight Magnolia anymore," Someone in the group spoke.

"Well, even if tomorrow one of their people is dead, I wouldn't feel resentful. Who knows? Maybe the Midnight Magnolia is not the bad guy."

"Killing shouldn't be justifiable. Whether he does it out of revenge or a deep grudge, he's still a murderer. He should have trusted the law to find justice for him," Captain Shao looked at them calmly, but his eyes also held a mysterious light that was indiscernible.

"Maybe he has already tried..." Su Lan added softly.

Footsteps approached the hall and they immediately scattered back to their stations.

"General," Captain Shao called before him. Gu Changming nodded in acknowledgment but the man was thinking deeply to himself so he asked not of the completion of the duty. "I have analyzed the number of prisoners written down and the actual number of people from our source. There is a total difference of 36 people missing from prisons which is one-quarter of the total."

He stopped in his steps, "36? How long has the first person missing been gone?"

Captain Shao froze but he quickly recalled, "About nine years ago."

Nine years ago...

"Thank you. How about Wan Mingyue? Have you found out about his background?"

"I have only recently scanned through half the family registers. Please give me another two weeks."

He seemed disappointed but he nodded and turned away, "Put all the tasks away for now and lead the team to Nightstone Sect by midnight. I won't allow a slip-up this time."

0