7 Years, Village outskirts. Research
52 7 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7 Years, Village outskirts. Research

When I woke up, my father was already gone, and my mother was still asleep. It is not that she is a long sleeper, but I am an early riser, and my father even more so.

He has to in order to get as many jobs as possible out of the day. My mother however is going into the into the nearby Woods at day, to collect firewood, plants, mushrooms and other useful or valuable stuff. Once she is done with that, she visits the village's small marketplace, and sells what we do not need. It is not much, but its honest work that helps us make a tiny bit more money.

She cannot go into the Forest until the Sun has fully risen however, as it can be quite dangerous with the nocturnal carnivorous animals that inhabit it.

Today, I decided to research ballistic curves of stones, and their force a bit further. I already found out how, if you throw a stone in the same angle with the same force, it almost ever flies the same, except for if there is wind or other disturbances. That of course only applies to the same stone, and for different sizes there are different flight curves.

Sadly, the stones that I can throw are rather limited, as my Body is only 7 Years old. I have to get my father to help me and throw around some boulders soon.

A hollow tree stump a small distance outside the village's entrance is my is my research partner (practice target). I collected several equally big and heavy stones, so that I would not have to retrieve them after every throw. After marking a position on the ground, I buckle up and throw a stone.

Miss. Power was too low, too much to the left as well. Another one.

Miss. Power still too low, but better this time. I adjusted too much to the left, and the stone landed right of the trunk. Another one.

Hit. Power was sufficient, but the angle was too low to hit the top and have the stone fall inside. I adjust the angle. Another one.

Miss. The power that was right last throw was too much now. The stone sailed further, right in the direction of a traveler I did not notice before.

Crap.

Suddenly, the traveler shouted something, and a Light appeared around his wrist.

STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG NULL !

The stone's velocity dropped in an instant. It hovered in the air for half a second, and then dropped.

What?

“Are you out of your mind, kid? What are you lobbing stones around for? That would have hit me, had I not done something!” The traveler approaches me, visibly enraged.

He is not too old, probably not older than 24. He is wearing a brown robe, and some crude glasses. He also wears a strange bracelet, the one that lit up when he made this weird shout.

“I did not notice you, you were irrelevant for my experiment. Why did you interfere?”

“I interfered, you say? Do you have a screw loose, kid? You threw a stone at me, that was what it was!”

“I did not throw the stone at you, I just threw it into the direction you happened to be in. Were you unable to see that I conducted scientific research?”

“Hell, what are you even talking about? You sure are a nosy brat. What are you even doing here?”

I was thinking about not telling him, as he called me a nosy brat, but the urge to share my research was stronger. “I tried to figure out the ballistic angle and force I need to throw a stone into this hollow trunk every time.”

The traveler looked dumbfounded. “So you tried to get good at throwing stones?”

“No, I already told you. I tried to figure out how to throw a stone to perfectly hit this trunk every time, without even looking at it.”

“You don't sound your look, kid. What happened with ditching stones over the water?”

The travelers initial rage seems to have cooled of, so I decided to take advantage to gain more information about what he did to stop the stone.“That's boring, I already understood the principle behind that half a year ago. So, what did you do to interfere in my experiment? I did not see your hand move. How does that work? I've never seen something like that.”

“I simply used magic?”

“You are not taking this seriously, are you? Look, every other seven-year old would be in awe by such a mystic answer. Everyone keeps telling me about magic, thinking I am a fool, just because I am young. Honestly, I am sick of it. Please give me an appropriate answer.”

“Listen here, kid. You sure are full of yourself. You are not normal, that much I can see. But it was the truth, I used magic to stop the stone, projectile stopping magic, to be exact.”

“You are kidding me.” I sighed. It is always the same with adults. I decided to just collect my stones, and proceed my research.

That did not sit right with the traveler. He watched me collect my stones, and throwing them again.

I do not mind. Being observed does not change the result of the experiment, after all.

After five minutes, I had the perfect angle and power figured out. Now, four out of five stones went inside the trunk, and the rest was not my fault, but the fault of my body.

I looked over to the traveler, with a triumphant look on my face. He is obviously interested in what I am doing, he seems to have noticed that I was not only playing with stones. Maybe, there is redemption for him after all.

Next stone. Angle, check. Power, check. Go!

STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH

I heard the Traveler mumble something, and the stone accelerated mid-air, flying a good hundred meters further into the field, leaving a dust cloud where it landed. I turn around, the traveler wears a smug expression on his face. His Bracelet was still glowing faintly. Maybe I should switch focus from trajectories to the trunk to trajectories to a certain travelers face.

“Do you believe me now?”, he asked. He was obviously satisfied with himself.

“I am no fool who does not trust his own eyes. Please, show me something of the principle that you call “Magic”.” He showed me something that I could not ignore, a way to ignore the laws of physic that I found out only over a long time. The first time, it could have been just that my eyes played tricks on me, and he simply caught the stone with his hands. But this time, it was undeniable that he did something that I could not explain to myself. Should that magic exist, that would mean that all the people had not lied to me in this aspect, and that was a possibility I could not ignore.

“If you are begging me like that, I guess I could spend an hour of my time explaining a kid things about the high art of magic. Oh man, how did I even get here...” He said, but showed no real annoyance.

I guess he really likes explaining stuff to people he deems intellectually inferior. That is something we have in common, even though I do not really like experiencing it from this side.

I sat down next to him, looking at him with my head tilted.

“First of all, give me your name. Having to call you “kid” every time, it's a bit annoying.”

“Reiland.”

“Fine, Reiland. Magic, you see, is an art that allows us to achieve our goals. That much is clear to you?”

“I gue-” Without waiting for my answer, he proceeds. Seriously, this man bugs me. But, he has interesting things to tell, so I will keep quiet.

“Magic is working over magic spells. Spell like the one I used to stop or accelerate the stone.”

“Like this?” I said, throwing a stone away. 『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH』

The stone flew exactly like it should have, and landed on the ground a few meters ahead.

“Oh, you remembered that? Well, it was correct. But the incantation is not all there is to using magic. You also need this thing right here.” He brandishes his Bracelet. “This is a magic adapter bracelet. There are other forms as well, but they all work the same. You really never have seen one before? Well, they are only used by magicians, after all. Probably magicians don't come here very often.”

He looks around, as if only now realizing that he is deep in the boonies.

“Well, this adapter listens to one's voice, and interprets the chants you make. With it, they work, but to be honest, I do not really know how. They aren't teaching that at the academy. ”

“So you do not really need this bracelet?”

“Well, there are some people who can do it without, but that's really rare, and requires Mastery. Chants are built from different words in chant language, and once you know them, you can structure them into chants to achieve results at will. It is way easier, and can be done by practically anyone. With something that convenient, why bother learning doing it the hard way? In addition, from what I heard even grand masters are only able to use the most basic spells adapterless.”

“Who developed this device? When? And how did people use magic before?”

“You sure are asking some good questions. The sad answer is, I don't know. The blueprints for it are kept secret by the magic guild, which also runs the academy, and only finished products are for sale, and only for people that join the guild. But nobody knows who developed them, and when. That obsoletes the third question, too. But the chant and the device is not all there is to casting magic. Your body also needs to be able to use magic. Without that ability, all magic adapters in the world cannot help you. This ability is innate, either you have it or you don't.”

“What is more common, then?”

“Most people are able to use magic energy at least to a certain degree, actually there are very few who have no aptitude at all. Still, even if you able to use magic, it is not guaranteed to be very much. Depending on this factor, your magic spells would be more or less effective.”

“I hate to admit it, but that is pretty amazing.” I still was a bit skeptical of all this, but if this guy is making it all up at this point, he is a skilled liar at least.

The Traveler seems to have made up his mind, and pulls a small trinket out of his pocket. “Would you like to try?”

I can not quite believe my ears. A broad grin distorts the edges of my mouth. “Yes, I suppose so.”

“Well, then. Look here: This is the same technology as in the bracelet. You have to stick this needle into your body. It works as a connection, It's the same for the bracelet. It may hurt a bit, but long-time users will get used to it.” It looks like a small disk, with a wire emerging from it. At the tip of this wire there is a small needle, as he said. The traveler strips the trinket to his hand, and hands over the needle.

“Does it matter where I stick to?” He shakes his head. “Let me just recover my stones. I need something to try it on after all. I do so, except for the one that flew far into the fields. No point searching it, it would take too much time. Also, I really want to try it out. I decide to stick it into my upper arm. A few blood drops gush out, but I do not mind it.

“Okay now. You already remembered the stone acceleration formulae. If you want to hear it again anyway, tell me. Now, what you should do is throw a stone like you did before. No incantation this time, please.”

He probably wants to compare the distance with and without magic assistance. I do as he told me. As expected, the stone flies normally, and hits the trunk with a small wooden clank.

“Okay, . Now, please use the incantation. Depending on when you use it, it will have different effects. Know that it will take effect as soon as you finish the chant.”

“Got it.” I ready another stone, and begin to chant. 『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH』

Just before I finish the last word, I throw the stone. An unknown feeling runs through my body, unlike everything I felt prior. The stone accelerates, and flies further than before. This is magic, without a doubt.

“Good three times as far... That is not a terribly high magic coefficient. It is definitely below average. But, for a first timer it is not bad. While the coefficient is innate, it can also be trained to a certain degree. But you cannot hope to ever match the standard magician who already trained to his full capacity, I fear.”

He surely was direct in his words, this man. I do not dislike that, but in this case, it is a bitter pill. Suddenly, an idea crosses my mind. “Why not cast the spell multiple times? Would that do any good?”

“Well, yes and no. Technically, you can do so, but you can only use magic on things that are relatively close too you. It gives you a good 25 meters for an object you previously touched though.”

“What if I take a stone like this, “ I take a stone into my hand, and swing it in circles. “ and then use the chant several times?”

“That would not work. First, as long as the stone is in your hand, it is not a projectile, therefore it would not accelerate. But even if you adjust the spell, I would not recommend doing it. Human bodies are not fit for such movements, it could seriously injure you. Would you use a sling, however, you'd probably be able to get some pretty remarkable speed out of it. It is a good idea.”

A thought crosses my mind. Without even asking, I throw it in a high angle at the direction of the tree trunk. 『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH』! The stone accelerates, and is on it best way to just sail over it. However,

『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG NULL』! The stone stops. Floating in the air, around 20 meters exactly over the trunk. Then it falls. 『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH』! It accelerates. 『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH』! It accelerates even further, halfway down to earth. The mysterious feeling intensifies with every chant. One more time. 『STEIN PROJEKTIL BEWEGUNG HOCH』! The stone is so fast now you can hear it. With a loud bang, it impacts on the side of the trunk, and breaks large splinters out of it. I turn around, and look at the magician. He has a shocked expression.

“Wow. I don't even have words for that... Let me retrieve that.” He picks the needle out of my arm. Too bad, but at least I got the opportunity to use it to some extend. I suppose I now wont be able to make experiments with this new, exciting magic anymore... “To be honest, that was the first time I saw someone using it like that... It had firepower rivaling at least my single cast, maybe even besting it. That is not something you could simply explain with three individual casts of that level. I think it is time I introduce myself, Reiland. My name is Arstibal, and I am, that much you probably figured out already, a magician. My job is to wander through the lands and check the magic potential of people. If I find someone with extraordinary high magic coefficient, I give them an invitation for the magic academy... Most of the time, that is fruitless, though. Really high coefficients are exceptionally rare.”

I see. That is how it is. That at least explains why he had time to sit down with a stranger, a seven-year old nonetheless, and talk about magic. Also, magic academy, huh. That would be interesting, actually.

“Believe me, if I could, I would give you one on the spot. For someone to be able to use magic with this creativity, it is very rare. Sadly, that is not what my superiors are up too. Most magicians seem to think that the magic coefficient is the only thing that separates good from bad magicians. Your magic coefficient is average, at best. Also, we have to take your age into account. How old are you even? Five? Six?”

“Seven. And I believe I already implied that.” Five? For what does he take me? Anyway, his main point does not change with my exact age. My body is definitely too young. It annoys me more and more every day.

“Oh, did you? Maybe. But listen here. I will return in seven years. If you want to become a magician by then, I will do everything I can to get you an invitation. Fourteen would be no abnormal age for that. If you don't want to enroll there by then, that's fine as well. But if you did... I'd expect great things.”

Seriously, why is he making such a fuzz? All I did was destroy this tree trunk using combined physics and magic. He could have done that by magic alone, with a single chant. That is far more impressing. “I think that you could have achieved the same result I had with less effort, Arstibal.”

“Well, true. But that is not quite my point... Anyway, that was enough for this time. Just keep my offer in mind.”

Like that, he went off, to the village. I proceeded to throw stones at the trunk, but I felt something was off. It just did not feel like before. I sighed, and collected the stones. If I ever continue this, I wont have to search new ones. After that, I returned to the village, and the shed, heavily lost in thoughts about the new world that just now opened before me.

0