You met a girl?
1.5k 3 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I should call her. I stare at the phone in my hands, not moving a muscle. It’s midday, she’s probably still at work or something.

I should wait.

I toss my phone to the foot of my bed, flopping backwards onto my pillow. “Ugh, why am I like this…” It’s been three days since the concert and I haven’t so much as texted her yet. The first day after the concert was mentally taxing, so I put it off. The second day the guilt of not texting her had set in and I was really starting to question why she’d even want to talk to me to begin with.

I pick myself up off of my bed, glancing at my phone hesitantly. I leave it where it is on the bed, not wanting to make some hasty mistake that would make her hate me. If she doesn’t already, I don’t want to somehow put my foot in my mouth here.

Instead, I drag myself out of my room and towards the living room. Coming out to the living room though, I notice that my sister isn’t on the couch. I count the days in my head. She didn’t get called in for an extra shift, did she? I shuffle over to her room, knocking on the door. There’s a rustling behind the door that proves she’s inside, and then the door swings inwards. Erin looks at me pointedly as she’s carefully putting in her earrings.

My question dies in my throat as I take in the full image of my sister. She’s wearing a nicer blouse than the normal band tees she tends to wear, and I recognize the jacket that she’s wearing as one of her nicer ones. Her makeup is carefully done, more than she would do it on a normal day. She’s still wearing jeans, but even with those it seems like she’s picked one of her nicer pairs. “I’m not… interrupting am I?” I ask, suddenly unsure about my intrusion.

She rolls her eyes and turns away, beckoning me into her room with a wave of her hand. “No, I’m dressed. Just putting on the finishing touches for a date,” She doesn’t turn around, continuing to her mirror so she can put on her earrings.

I blink, surprised at the news. “You have a date?”

“Wow, thanks Cal.” She scoffs, finally turning around with her earrings on.

“No, sorry, I just… didn’t know you were seeing anyone.” I nod, looking over her outfit once more. “You look nice.”  I sit gently on the edge of her bed, watching her continue to get ready.

“I told you that I met her after the concert, didn’t I?”

“I guess I was a bit distracted after the concert, sorry.” I apologize, twiddling my fingers.

“It’s fine, Cal.” She shakes her head. “Honestly, you’re so scatterbrained sometimes. Anyways, yes, I’ve got a date this evening.”

I smile gently, tilting my head curiously. “Is she cute?”

Erin’s grin grows smug as she sits herself onto the bed next to me. “Sure, I guess. I would have used the word hot, but it’s kind of adorable how innocent you are.” I blush, grumbling slightly as she ruffles my hair. “Innocent lil Callie.”

I push her hand off of my head, fussing with my hair and running my hands through it. “Sis, calling me that is embarrassing.”

Chuckling, she gets back up and checks her makeup in the mirror. “Sure, Callie. Whatever you say. What did you actually come in here for?”

I think for a moment, almost entirely forgetting what I had come in here for. “Oh! Right. I, uh, was actually going to ask for advice with a girl.” Erin’s head snaps around instantly, her eyes wide.

She grins wide and predatorily, instantly closing the distance between us and grabbing my shoulders tightly. “You met a girl?” She exclaims, her eyes wide with glee. I nod numbly, averting my eyes from her own.

“T-too close, sis.” I gently extract myself from her grip, taking a gentle breath to try and clear the fuzzy warmth of embarrassment from my cheeks.

She ignores my protestations, leaning forward and giving me a brief and tight hug. “So proud.” She pulls back, running over to her computer and dragging the chair over to sit in front of me. “When did you meet her?” Her tone is excited and rushed. I smile gently at her excitement for me. She’s often a lot to deal with, but her support honestly means so much to me.

“Uh, at the concert. We talked, and uh, danced. It was nice. I’m uh, not sure if I was any good at dancing, but it was fun.” I let myself fall back against the bed, the confusing thoughts threatening to take over once again. “She gave me her number, but I haven’t called her yet.”

I look down briefly to see Erin looking at me unimpressed. “Why the fuck haven’t you called her?”

I shrug, sighing deeply and turning my eyes to the ceiling. “I don’t know.” Why don’t I call her? Logically I know that the worst it can go is getting rejected. “I guess I’m scared of fucking it up? I’ve never even had a crush before, I guess I’m worried that if I let this pass that it might never happen again?”

“So you’re willing to let it pass?” She scoffs, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. “That’s dumb even for you, Cal.”

I sit up, my face going hot. “I know! It’s dumb! I just… I don’t know what to say.” My legs kick idly in the air, “I just feel more useless than I normally do. I mean, look at me, why would anyone want to date me.” I sigh and flop back, feeling suitably humbled once more.

“I don’t know, Cal. I can’t say you’re probably cute because I don’t even know what makes a guy cute. Hearing that your Lesbian Sister thinks that you’re cute probably wouldn’t be very reassuring even if I could.” I nod numbly, agreeing that there really is nothing redeeming about me. “What I do know is that you’re funny, kind, and pretty thoughtful.” I sit up in bed, surprised. “I think that she’d be stupid to pass you up. I don’t know if it’s by virtue of us getting along well as siblings, but I know that you’re the only guy I could ever imagine living with. I mean, fuck, remember my last girlfriend?” I nod carefully, remembering a lot of consoling Erin after a nasty breakup. “When she broke up with me, that fucking sucked. You brought me ice cream while I was holed up in my room, unprompted. I never really mentioned how much that meant for me. You’re a fucking gem, Callie.”

I open my mouth to respond, but I have no idea what to say to that. She continues unprompted though, “I don’t know what I’m trying to say, the mushy shit is more your forte than mine. Basically, don’t worry so much, it’ll go fine.” She glances at the clock on the wall. “Ah, shit, sorry Cal, gotta bounce. I have a date to go on. Good luck with your girl.” In a rush, she grabs her purse and darts out of her room. I remain laying where I am, thinking on what she just said to me.

I feel much better about myself as a whole. Reinvigorated by the pep talk, I pick myself up to a sitting position with determination. It’s when I sit up that I realize Erin left me alone in her room. I make a hasty retreat back to my own room, feeling suddenly embarrassed to be in her room alone.

Searching for my phone at the foot of my bed, I find it and tap my way over to my text app. Hesitantly, I type out the first thing that comes to mind. “Hey Penny, it’s Cal. Sorry it took me so long to message you. I was wondering if you’d like to get lunch sometime?”

With that taken care of, I sigh in relief, immediately collapsing onto my bed. Now to just wait for an answer.

Short chapter, but there wasn't much to cover here it seems.

73