Chapter 1: Desperate Times, Desperate Measures
134 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"What brings you to us today?" Ainz asked the ambassador from the Draconic Kingdom.

The ambassador was not offended, he was the very soul of 'not offended' indeed his very name, "Kabak Kor" meant 'not offended' in a long dead tongue taken from an ancient book on his father's estate, it was by no accident that he had the name, he'd quietly changed it in his youth when he first sought to join the diplomatic corps, to remind himself that in the service of his kingdom, he must never feel personally offended. It was this carefully cultivated neutrality in face and body language and even in the intonation of his voice that had gradually made him the top diplomat for her majesty. If anyone ever got the reference of his name, he had never encountered them before. At least...not before now. Ainz Ooal Gown, the fearsome undead king of unknown but doubtless great age, seemed to catch it.

When he'd introduced himself, the Sorcerer King had said, "Kabak Kor...an...unusual name." His red orbs had seemed to narrow as he leaned forward to appraise the diplomat.

"Chosen by myself...to remind me of my task." Kabak had said softly, and then the Sorcerer King had leaned back in his chair as if satisfied, Kabak felt as if he'd passed some kind of 'test' because it was only then that he'd been asked after his purpose for coming. The slender middle aged diplomat shuddered to think what would have happened if he'd 'failed' whatever that test was.

"Sire," he said softly, "I come to you to beg your help. We are in a dire state, several of our cities have been consumed by the beastman kingdom that shares a border with us. In the past we would ask the aid of the Empire. They however, are now your vassal and cannot be appealed to directly. We would also appeal to the adventurers guilds of various nations and hire their best to drive off small incursions. However the adventurers guild is now nationalized under your kingdom. We would also appeal to the Holy Roble Kingdom and even the Re-Estize Kingdom, and they would both sometimes lend support of some kind, but both have been decimated by Jaldabaoth..." Kabak made careful effort to not mention that the latter had also been decimated by the Sorcerer King himself. "We would also appeal to the Slane Theocracy to send their scriptures, but they have refused us citing 'ongoing concerns with their war against the elves' therefore we have nobody left to seek help from that we have worked with in the past, nobody left...but your noble self."

Ainz had listened patiently. "Is this incursion unique in some way? It stands to reason that your nation has been established for centuries, as has the nation of beastmen, therefore you must have normally been strong enough to fend them off on your own, I find it hard to believe that you received aid every time you appealed for it." He pressed for answer, and his voice was polite, but firm.

Kabak sighed heavily, "Yes my lord, this one is different. In the past, they treated our kingdom as a game preserve of some sort, they would make incursions, seize villages...take small numbers of people as a food supply, and then allow us to repopulate, skirmishes between our kingdoms was rooted in small group actions, our elites could handle themselves, and if it became to much, well aid would come to turn the tide. This however IS different, they are not going after villages, they launched a full blown invasion and are seemingly bent on the annihilation of our nation. We have no idea why this changed, and they're not telling us." Kabak swallowed hard, this was a delicate moment.

"We have lost the three major cities of the east, it effectively puts half our total land area in their power. They've stopped...for now, but a few have escaped the cities and have told us tales of blood chilling horror, they are 'feasting on our people, men, women, children, young and old, no one alive or dead, is not food, and they toy with their captives in the cruelest of ways, forcing fathers and mothers to choose which child will be eaten first, or eating them in pieces day by day, keeping them alive to let their families watch them disappear a little more every day, a hand, a foot, a leg...they're more demonic than the demons." Kabak said with a voice that was kept entirely neutral, but he could not hide the desperate horror in his eyes, even he was moved by this.

"So I am your...last resort, such as it is." Ainz said simply.

"Sire, I assure you my nation intended no offense in coming to you at this late hour in our time of need, I can say only that when a man is in danger, he turns first to his friends before he turns to strangers, only our friends are broken, gone, dead, or are your servants now and cannot help us without your leave." He opened his hands at the side of his body and looked up at the throne of kings, wearing an honest expression designed to show that he was hiding nothing.

Ainz let the silence hold for a moment and then said, "Yes, I can understand that. Now, I must first say that I truly sympathize with my royal sister, the queen of the Draconic Kingdom. It was no fault of hers that that Empire chose to yield to me, nor was it her fault that the adventurer's guild model removed it as an option, nor did she advise the Re-Estize Kingdom to resist me, and she was not the cause of Jaldabaoth's invasions. It would be further cruelty to deny her help in this, her hour of need."

Kabak sighed deeply inside himself, he felt the stomach that had dropped at the silence, return with the Sorcerer King's offering of hopeful words.

"Yet first I would know what you ask, are you requesting that I send my armies to fight for you? Or are you requesting that I release my vassal's armies to assist you, or send my adventurers out, what...precisely...do you want?" Ainz said.

His question brought a flood of relief to Kabak Kor, who knew this dance better than any living man or woman in the Draconic Kingdom. That the Sorcerer King had asked for specifics and not vagueness, and had not rejected anything, meant that the question of whether he would help was contingent only on price, not whether or not he would help at all. Some specifics might be to much to ask, but the process of negotiation meant that he had a very good chance of coming away with the ability to save his nation.

Kabak Kor pretended to think carefully, "Sire, while anything that would restore our nation is what we would ask, I know that this vague answer would be displeasing to you. I would ask that you dispatch armies, use those to rescue our captive citizens, and drive off the beastmen armies...with as many casualties as you can."

The red orbs of the Sorcerer King's eyes went wider. "Armies you say. That is a very considerable request. So I must ask in turn," Ainz leaned forward expectantly, "what is it your nation is offering to benefit mine in exchange for this?"

Kabak met the red orbs in the naked skull of the undead king, the queen had been explicit in her instruction, and he answered as she had when he'd asked her how much to offer. "Everything." He said. "We offer everything, our people will serve you, our people are your people, to command, to work, to tax, whatever you would have of us. Even if you killed us, it could not be worse than what we suffer now. Save our nation, and it will be come yours, our queen has even offered up herself...as bride...as hostage...as living sacrifice or your satisfaction, security, or magic use...anything."

It was a hard moment for the ambassador, but he said it clearly, loudly, and with absolute confidence, because the queen had said it the same way, her dedication to her people was second to none, and as a result she was surrendering her throne, her life, her body, as price and penance for her failure, giving it all to someone who could do what she could not. If it was hard for him, it was harder for her, so Kabak did his best.

Ainz's next words shattered that hope.

"That will not be necessary." Ainz said with flat finality.

"So your majesty will not help us then?" Kabak asked, fearing he might very well faint.

"Oh no, I will help, it is just that offering so much is not fair." He said.

Kabak looked confused, this wasn't how the game was played. His nation was desperate, it was over a barrel, it had no hope and no future, the Sorcerer King could save it, it was therefore his to have for the asking at any price at all.

"I'm afraid your majesty has me at a loss." Kabak said, allowing confusion to enter his tone.

"I see...so this principle too has been forgotten..." Ainz said, shaking his head as if sorrowful, and Kabak remained silent, but listened intently, thinking he might gain some insight into the Sorcerer King's great age and deep thinking.

"If a powerful armed and armored man approaches you in the street and demands your coins in exchange for your continued health, and you give him your coins as he demands, and then he leaves you healthy as promised, are you grateful to him for his 'service'?" Ainz asked.

"No, your majesty." Kabak said.

"Because he is just a criminal, isn't he?" Ainz asked.

"Well, yes sire." Kabak replied again.

"So it is with all contracts. You see one of the fundamental principles of contract law is that there must be some form of what we call...was called, a 'meeting of the minds' wherein two or more negotiators intending to take part in the bargaining are seen to come together as peers, offering something of mutually beneficial exchange. If one party is abusing the other, holding all the power and leaving the other with no recourse but to accept whatever scraps are thrown to them, then there is no 'meeting of the minds' and such a contract is considered to be invalid. So it also is with treaties and agreements between nations. It is true I hold the means to save your nation, but in doing so if your nation ceases to exist, then how am I different than the man with a sword demanding your coins?" Ainz said, regaling the ambassador with his explanation of a legal principle Kabak had never heard of before.

"I am at a loss your majesty, we do not have such a principle of law." Kabak said.

"Well then adding that would be my first condition." Ainz said flatly, "And having your judges trained in it to adjudicate contracts on its basis."

"I can promise your majesty this." Kabak said with certainty, "I can also say her majesty will no doubt approve on a personal level. Such a legal structure would be beneficial to her people."

"I would also like to purchase a large plot of land, from the prewar border, to the village nearest the first city to be depleted...and a strip of land wide enough for a wide road to travel to my domain." Ainz said. It was not a small amount of land, but it was still nothing, relative to what was being offered, and it was land next to the beastman kingdom. The Sorcerer Kingdom was offering to serve as a permanent buffer state to the beastmen, it was a virtual dream come true.

"My nation will also agree to that condition your majesty." Kabak said. "However may I ask, what would you do with it, forgive my question your majesty, but your population is not large. What use is it to you?" Kabak was the best of the best, he was suspicious of anything that seemed out of place, and THIS seemed very out of place.

"I will need it for refugees." Ainz said as if he was giving the time of day.

Kabak closed his mouth, his first thought was that he intended to allow the Draconic Kingdom's citizens to resettle there under his rule...but that didn't make sense, there simply weren't enough to resettle that much land, and that was assuming anyone wanted to come anywhere near to the border with the beastman kingdom for generations. Then it occurred to him...he didn't mean Draconic Kingdom refugees. He thought better than to push his luck with further questioning the undead king.

"I see." Kabak said simply. "What more would your majesty ask of us?"

"Minor matters such as trade terms that can be handled at a later time, for now I would only add that when refugees come to your border, no matter where from, that you accept them, provided of course they do not pose an immediate threat or behave in a violent fashion, I will compensate your kingdom for any expenditures in supplies used on them. When the time comes, one of my maids will go to your country and remain in the care of your queen until such time as the resettlement task is complete. She will oversee all supply needs when the occasion arises."

Kabak could scarcely believe it. As the Sorcerer King spoke, he felt the noble words as one feels fresh water from a spring wash away filth after a long time without bathing. Just like that...his nation was going to be saved, assuming the Sorcerer King spoke truly, and he could not bring himself to doubt it.

"We accept all your terms, these and those to come, with grace and gratitude." Kabak said, bowing with the depth and sincerity that was usually reserved for his queen alone.

"Then our business for now is concluded, you will be escorted safely to the borders of your homeland, unless you require a rest after your journey first?" Ainz asked considerately.

"Sire the exhaustion I felt was washed away with your words, and I am eager to return to my queen immediately and inform her of your wonderful offer." He said with swelling joy that was still growing in his breast.

"Well then we should make your trip easier and return you this instant, as soon as you have gone, I will tend to the beastmen." Ainz said casually, stretching out his hand and giving a nod to the dainty looking girl with the lovely pale skin.

"Shalltear, please open a gate and send the ambassador back to his capitol." Ainz said.

Kabak looked quite confused and shocked, and this did not change when the dainty looking girl spoke a single word and a black swirling hole opened up in the air beside him. Ainz gestured to it politely, "Step through there, and you will find yourself in your city again."

Fearing the unknown thing beside him, but fearing more to fail his nation and his queen in this final moment of a meeting that was already far more successful than he had ever dared to dream, he bowed again to the Sorcerer King and stepped through the gate, hiding his fear behind a smile of gratitude, a smile that melted when it shut behind him and he found himself looking at the entryway to the palace of the queen. His smile turned into a slack jawed and stupefied expression like a peasant seeing a warhorse for the first time...only about a thousand times worse.

The guards seemed no less shocked than he was to find him suddenly in front of them, but thankfully being a well known figure, they had the decency or the self preservation instincts to pretend to have known he was there the whole time and cover their own stupefied expressions with greetings and bows. "W-welcome back sir, we were not expecting you so quickly." One of the men said, obviously a bit nervous and lacking the diplomat's ability to hide it.

"Think nothing of it, I wasn't expecting to be back so soon either." Kabak said with a laugh that would have been detected as false only by the most observant of persons. He chose not to linger, but rushed forward as fast as he could through the palace corridors and all the way to the throne room, barging in without so much as a knock and a request for entry. The loud thundering sound of the doors echoed in the hall, which now seemed to him to be much smaller than they had before his visit to the home of the Sorcerer King. Now...everything, all his people's works as he ran through them in his mind, all their great deeds, seemed a child's fumbling attempts by comparison. There was however, no time for deep contemplation, though the queen was speaking with another figure, as soon as Kabak appeared she raised a hand whispered an instruction to depart, and called him forward instead. The prime minister would normally have been distressed by this breach of protocol and clucked his tongue in disapproval, but not now, not for this.

"Well?" She said, "Out with it." Her voice was abrupt, but to those who knew her best...well they couldn't miss the underpinnings of fear and despair that haunted her childlike form.

Kabak loved to be flowery in his prose, he loved to speak with eloquence and grace, he loved the artful dance of wordplay as much as he did to watch physical dance on stage, but her inquiry had stilled the court and bated breath greeted him, and on this day for this task, to give extended eloquent statements would be cruel, so he kept it short.

"He will save us." Kabak said, and a cheer echoed throughout the throne room and bounced from wall to wall as if the cheers were the spirits of children learning that their deaths by the beastmen would be avenged.

"When, how, what was his price?" She asked in a rush.

"He said immediately, and he did not say how, only that he would, and his price is absurdly low." Kabak said, and began to relay all that had passed between himself and the Sorcerer King, the trepidation of what the price would be had replaced the fear of being eaten, but as he passed the terms to the queen, only silence greeted him in return.

"This can't be real?" She half said, half asked. "That is a pittance. And what of these refugees, there are none, it can't be our own people, we'll be decades from reoccupying anything much beyond what we still have left, and it'll be generations before any of our people want to venture that close to the border so...who?" She asked further, to no one in particular.

There were shrugs in return, "I can only guess, but he seems to think he'll need the space, and I for one don't mind a buffer between ourselves and those monsters." Kabak said, and there was a round of head nodding in response, head nodding that was matched by the queen herself.

"Fair enough, we're getting off far more lightly than I ever dreamed, but...what the hell is he going to do?" She asked of no one in particular. "What were your impressions of him?" She asked as she fixed Kabak with a stare that told him this was not at all rhetorical.

Kabak took a heavy breath and answered as honestly as he could.

"Supreme." He said. "He seemed to stare right through me, to see my every fear to the core of my very name, he is clearly old beyond imagining and...well you heard of his legal concept in brief, and this I think is only a fragment of the boundless knowledge he has accrued over his long life. I felt myself to be both in the eye of a terrible storm that was choosing to spare me, but could obliterate me without noticing I was there, and also as though I were sitting at the feat of the great sages of old being granted a tiny piece of their wisdom." He fixed his stare back on the queen, "Majesty you know I am not given to flights of fancy and I am not given to frighten easily, but I implore you here and now, do not...do not...do not make an enemy of the Sorcerer King. If you do, I think we will long for the beastmen to come for us again."

That assessment made more than a few faces go pale and the queen looked pensive. "Thank you Kabak, you have performed a great service for us and you will be rewarded greatly for it, for now take quarters here in the palace and rest before you return home, you look exhausted."

"Majesty." He said and bowed sincerely before leaving.

3