Chapter 168 – Forgotten Blood II
912 3 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 168 - Forgotten Blood II

With a small smile on her lips and a terrified catgirl imprisoned in the bubble floating nearby, Claire fell through the sky with her arms spread wide and her tail dangling behind her. It was her first real post-Llystletein flight, her first chance to gaze upon a familiar canvas. No longer was she stuck looking over a marshy meadow forest or a boring tropical archipelago. She could finally see the world again, as she so often did, from her favourite spot atop the manor’s roof.

Because all the clouds were stuck hovering over the ocean, she had no trouble scanning the continent for familiar sights. The Ryllian sea was to the east, the Langgbjerns were to the north, and the great rainforest of Tal’ihir, the seemingly infinite expanse of green that covered everything in every other direction. The further up she fell, the clearer the world became. The woodland’s northern edge was eventually made distinct from the foot of the mountains. She could see the golden great plains, the grasslands that had once served as her home.

Though the land surrounding it was visible, Cadria was nothing but a distant speck on the horizon. It was impossible to tell where it started and ended. From so high up, it was another insignificant series of settlements. There were no borders carved into the world itself, and the only landmarks of note were the faraway mountains. But that was enough for her to at least estimate its location. The distant colours at the feet of the Langgbjerns could not have been ruled by any but her great uncle. Because there were no others willing to build their kingdoms so close to the forbidden mountains.

Though she had certainly spent a long time looking over the continent, it failed to monopolize her attention. When she gazed towards the sea and looked upon the many clouds hanging above it, she found her attention captured by a fortress made of fluffy white defenses. The spiraling formation lay far beyond the city sprawled out in front of her, its faraway distance only exemplified by the giant winged turtles fluttering through the sky.

The three-headed reptiles were not the only creatures with which they shared the heavens. Flying below them were all manner of creatures, from sea birds to jellyfish, and mermaids to vine monsters. There were even a few winged centaurs plodding through the air. Potential threats, spies sent by her father.

Though Natalya was not a fan of the skyborne experience, it was greatly enjoyed by all the others. Everyone had some degree of control over their direction. Sylvia was zipping back and forth like the excited puppy she was, and even Boris somehow managed to keep himself afloat. By spreading his sail wide, he was able to glide through the air and ride the various currents up and down. Though he was the slowest flier, he was not falling far behind. The other two were fooling around, engaging in a game of tag, and they would magically pull him closer whenever he drifted too far away. The very same treatment given to the bubble that contained the uncomfortable feline.

“Can we please just land?” Though she was undoubtedly a cat, the beast girl’s voice had taken on a number of mouse-like qualities; it was impossible for her to speak without the words coming out as a squeak.

It was already her third time making the very same request. They had been in the air for a day and a half, soaring above the forest and the various obstacles within it. Most of their time was spent fooling around and frolicing about, but they were so much faster than Natalya’s testudine benchmarks that they reached Vel’khagan regardless.

“Five more minutes,” said Claire.

She was tempted to follow through on the claim and stall just a little longer, but started to descend after noting the colour of Natalya’s face. She was as pale as a sheet. It had been a few hours since they last touched the ground, and she was reaching the limits of her tolerance.

“Awww, are we heading back down already?” said Sylvia, with a pout. Taking to the skies had granted the fox the opportunity to see just how vast Mara was, and she had spent the better part of the previous day asking about every landmark she happened to spot. Natalya wound up doing most of the explaining. The constant talking was one of the few things that had helped her ease her discomfort.

“For now.”

Resetting the look on her face, she dove through a crowd of skyscyphs and looked for a place to hit the ground. The roads just outside the city were too cluttered for her to suddenly appear without startling a group of work animals and causing a stampede, so she chose a spot in the forest, a little further away from any major pathways.

Focusing on the forces around her, she landed softly. The only sound that could be heard, as she closed the distance between her hooves and the soil, was the crinkling of the undergrowth.

“Finally!” Lia fell forward as soon as she hit the ground, pressing her hands and knees against it. She dropped the large leather bag she was carrying, lowered her face to the dirt, and rubbed it against the forest floor.

Within the bag were the spoils from their most recent battles, the various monster parts that they had taken, both from Farenlight and the klimgor variants. Natalya lay alongside the container for a few moments before straightening her back and sitting up. Crossing her legs was all it took for her to clear her mind. Though Claire refused to admit it, the catgirl was well disciplined for someone so honest with her desires. She was able to correct her heart’s rapid beating with just the sheer force of her will.

“I feel a little better now. I think I can handle another brief flight or two, but I’d rather finish the last leg of the journey on foot. If you don’t mind.”

“Uhmmm… The path looked kinda crowded when we checked earlier, but I think it should be fine,” said Sylvia. “We’ve had our fun already and it looks like we’ll probably have to go through a checkpoint anyway, ‘cause of that big barrier ‘n stuff.”

The defensive structure that the fox described was the city’s primary means of defense. Because half the settlement was located beneath the waves, walls alone would not have been able to keep Vel’khagan safe from monsters and invaders. The capital, like most of the other underwater cities, was guarded instead by a sort of magical device, a powerful artifact designed by Canterbell, the very same master artificer that had created Cadria’s floating castles.

The flexibility built into the barrier generator’s dimensions was demonstrated in the city’s shape. The urban area almost seemed to sprawl along the coastline, a few bits and pieces poking into the jungle. There were a variety of different residential districts, with options available for creatures that preferred different biomes, but none of the real estate was as prime as that atop which the castle sat.

Located right where the land met the sea, the massive stone construct was at least a kilometer in each direction. Its giant bricks were cut and stacked so perfectly that it was impossible for any water to leak in or out of the half-submerged fortress. It was an engineering marvel, truly a home fit for a king, or in Vel’khan’s case, a queen.

The sole thrice ascended matriarch was one of the region’s most well-regarded figures. She was known for stepping into the forefront and pitching radical ideas whenever they happened to be required. Having disposed of all the older members of her family, she saw little value in tradition and often declared that the people were meant to change with the times.

It was a motto that rang true through the hearts of many a youthful commoner, but while her species was one that lived only three dozen years at most, the queen had reigned for over fifty years. Her ascensions had allowed her to become the kingdom’s longest reigning monarch.

That was all Claire knew about the country’s ruler. Vel’khan was too far from Cadria for any meaningful rumours to have crossed all the borders between them. There was no information about her personality, only her preferred policies and the parts of her history made public.

“Let’s be quick,” said Claire. “We can still make it into the dungeon by nightfall.”

Lia twisted her lips into a strained smile. “I know you really want those last few levels, but I think it’ll be best if we wait until tomorrow morning.”

The dungeon that they had in mind was The Swirling Abyss, home of the leviathan, and a place so famous that even Sylvia was aware of it. Its entrance was in the ocean, about an hour away from the city by air or water. For most settlements, it would have been considered too close, but the capital was home to the royal guard. The country’s most powerful military force kept a careful watch over its entrance and acted whenever it was necessary. There were few details regarding the force’s true power, but its Cadrian equivalent would have had no trouble with a Headhydra-level threat. Many of their members were known for venturing into the Langgbjerns alone and hunting legendary monsters in their spare time.

“I don’t want to wait,” said Claire. The lyrkress was ready to jump into the abyss and go through all the same motions as her father’s handpicked, but the rest of her business had her by the reins. Most important on her list was visiting a pair of temples, one to complete Alfred’s request, and another to make the insufferable thunder god pay his due. Farenlight’s horns matched all the required specifications. They were eye-catching, made of some sort of mineral, and easily enchanted to suit all the temple’s needs. She wanted to keep them all for herself, but a blessing was worth more than a piece of equipment that she had nine of.

Lia had confiscated three of the six severed heads. They were set aside as merchandise, parts to be sold to fund the party’s operations. Farenlight’s scales were given the same treatment; all of its remaining body parts had been skinned and prepared for sale. The flesh and bones were too hefty to be given the same priority, so the meat was used as lizard feed, and most of the osseous matter thrown away. Claire had only kept two of its skulls, both of which she had repurposed as gauntlets.

“I think we might have to. I’m not sure if my contact is in today,” said Lia.

“We don’t have to do anything,” muttered Claire.

“Well we should,” retorted the cat. “It really doesn’t make any sense for us to be carrying this around for any longer than we have to. Just think about how much money we’d lose if it was stolen!”

The lyrkress averted her eyes and followed Natalya towards the main road. She didn’t have a point to argue, especially not after pawning off the duty of maintaining their finances.

Lia’s haste was not unreasonable. Each of Farenlight’s horns was effectively a jewel, and not even members of the nobility would needlessly carry a store of precious stones with them whilst they went around their regular business.

Adding further to their value was their rarity. Monsters like Farenlight almost never made it to market. Her level was not by any means particularly outstanding. Most renowned hunters were capable of taking down creatures in a similar range, but a mere five hundred levels did not a legendary monster make.

Those with the designation were far more valuable, both because they were more threatening, and because their bodies were more refined. But while Headhydra’s parts were certainly lucrative, their price tags came with their own fair share of problems. Few were aware of the full extent of their value, and it was commonplace for such items to go underappreciated at an ordinary shop or public auction. Outside of the few events where such goods were gathered to be marketed in bulk, the final sale was often a lengthy process that involved visiting the wealthy directly. Members of the nobility were the most frequent customers. Most wished to arm their knights in the best equipment available, both to correctly equip their guard, and to brag to their peers.

That was precisely why Augustus Manor saw so many visitors. The greedy racoons that were the nation’s merchants were constantly peddling their wares, seeking either connections or the best deals. Of course, it was not possible for the average retailer to enter a noble’s manor simply because they claimed that they had the finest raw materials. Only those with established brands and reputations were allowed to do business with the upper crust. As a pair of unknown adventurers, Claire and Lia would be outright rejected. They would have to settle for selling their goods to middlemen, and that was where Lia’s contact was factored into the equation.

With the catgirl at the helm, the group moved through the gate and navigated the city’s busy streets. Though they were both a part of the same small country, Vel’rulm and Vel’khagan were architecturally distinct, the difference appearing to stem from demographics. While the border city’s inhabitants were comfortable living their lives on land, many of the capital’s were adapted to functioning only within the water. That was why half the streets were not paved roads, but canals. The water-filled pathways were three times as deep as the lyrkress was tall and wide enough for a whale. Many of the buildings were similarly adapted; they had waterways running up their sides and floors that were kept at least partially submerged. Some of the larger structures, especially those made mostly of glass, were completely devoid of dry interiors altogether. Only their roofs supported those unable to breathe beneath the waves.

The building that Natalya stopped in front of was one of the rare opposites. It was built almost entirely of stone and had no glass panes to keep any water contained.

“Good afternoon ladies. How can I help you today?”

They were greeted by a large beetle as soon as they stepped through the door. Though Claire knew little about the creature’s species, she could tell that he was wealthy. The suit that adorned his frame was made of an incredibly high quality silk, soft enough to be felt with the eyes. Its perfectly blanched exterior was decorated from head to toe in beautiful floral patterns of all different shapes and colours. The merchant that owned the establishment was well aware of the methods required to flaunt his wealth, especially to those that knew how to look.

“Good afternoon…” Natalya’s eyes fell on the nametag sitting on the receptionist’s chest. “Ktktart. Is Olga in today?”

“Of course.” The beetle clicked his manadibles and nodded his head. “Right this way.”

Another butler, a slightly smaller beetle, took Ktktart’s spot by the door as he stepped forward and showed the guests through the storefront. He made sure to walk by a number of impressive display cases before finally taking them up the stairs and stopping roughly halfway down the hall. Some contained jewels, but most were filled with taxidermied monsters, species famous for their power.

They were greeted by a croaky, “Come in!” before the clerk even knocked on the door. When they stepped through, they found an old huksari woman awaiting them on the other side. She wore a beautiful dress rimmed with gold and silver, an even more impressive display than the floral prints that decorated her servant.

The dog’s eyes narrowed for a moment, as she scanned her guests, but they brightened up as soon as she finished going from left to right. “Natalya! How wonderful it is to see you again.”

“It’s good to see you too, Auntie Olga,” said the catgirl.

“Don’t just stand there, come in, come in!” said Olga. “How’s that damned Belyaev idiot doing these days?”

“He’s just as old and cranky as always, of course.” Smiling awkwardly, the cat walked across the room and sat down on one of the fancy leather sofas, with her two companions following behind her.

“Of course he is,” huffed the old lady. “Just one rejection and he’s like that for decades. I would have expected a man like him to show a little more backbone.”

Natalya giggled and shook her head. “The only time he’s ever got any of that is when he has a sword in hand.”

“And that’s why he’s so lonely now.” Olga shook her head, stood up from her desk, and made her way to the opposite couch. “And who might these two be?”

“Hi! I’m Sylvia Redleaf, Ll-er, fox,” said the furball.

“Nice to meet you, Sylvia. I’m Olga Popov, huskari goldsniffer.” The merchant smiled at the fox before looking at the last of the trio’s members.

“Good evening, Madame Popov. I am Claire, frostblight lyrkress. It pleases me greatly to be in the presence of a lady with tastes as refined as your own.” The half-lamia rose to her feet and curtsied, as she had whenever she was forced to greet one of her father’s guests. But while the motion was frivolous and excessive, the compliment was genuine. It was rare, even for the merchants that visited the manor, to have such an understanding of fashion.

“The pleasure is mine,” said Olga. She returned the gesture with one of her own. Bending her knees, she lifted the hem of her skirt and proved her mastery of etiquette.

Both took their seats and smiled as Ktktart excused himself from the room and closed the door behind him. Only when it was firmly shut, and the outside world’s sounds cut off, did the aged huskar finally begin to speak.

“So what brings you here today, Natalya? Was it just to introduce us?”

“I guess that was a part of it too.” The cat flashed a strained smile. “Claire and I started working together recently. We killed a legendary monster just the other day, and I was hoping that you would be willing to help us sell its parts.”

“Of course, dearie.” The huskar leaned forward and put her hands together, a small smile on her lips. “Could I see them?”

“Sure.” Lia emptied the contents of a leather sack onto the table. “It was a primal ikarett matriarch, level 500 exactly, and I suspect that it might have achieved legendary status right before we killed it.”

“Primal ikarett matriarch? That’s a new one…” The first material that the dog examined was not a sparkling crystalline horn, but rather one of the metal pelts. “How intriguing. The inside is soft, but the outside is extremely tough. This would make for some very high quality armour. It’s a shame that the bottoms are frayed and that it has so many holes, but I suspect that there wasn’t much you could have done about that.”

Lia shook her head. “The only parts we were able to retrieve were its heads.”

“It must have been quite the grueling battle then,” said the huskar. “I do think that these will sell and rather quickly at that. We could have each processed into its own piece, or maybe patch together something larger… There are quite a few possibilities, but it’s difficult to say which has the most value. It depends if Sir Farfran is still looking to arm his troops.”

“I think you’ll want to process them individually. The heads might have a lot of holes, but the rest is largely unblemished. You might be able t…”

Claire closed her eyes and pressed her ears against the side of her head. The discussions reminded her too much of all the others she had to sit through in the past. Her mind was already starting to wander off, with its destination set as the land of dreams, a faraway realm with no lectures, negotiations, or other needless details to be explored.

47