[Vol. 1] Chapter-3: Magic Academy (8.1)
54 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Neither of us budged a muscle for a hot minute, staring at each other’s faces with our guards up. Aya, Katsuro-san, Reiko-san and the rest were also, with grievous expressions of concern. The room was in deep stillness.

But suddenlyAvalanche disappeared from my sight for a second, before reappearing again, right in front. Thanks to my physical stats amp I was quick to block his vertical blow that followed. 

That power on his strike, though, was enormous. It gave a clear insight of his strength, that he was no ordinary opponent. He was like none of the people I fought up until now, not even Venvo. His physicality and endurance was also top-notch, as even when I pushed him back, he kept dashing at me without losing his stance.

Loud clanking and screeching of metals engulfed the room as our blades struck and slid over one another. It was still him attacking while I defended. So if you think I was being overwhelmed, you’re gravely in the wrong. 

I was actually finding a gap through which I could break his guard. And surely, I did findhis right chest (more like I created the gap).

Because I pushed his blade towards his left, it created a grand opening on the other side. In order to build up momentum, I spun a 360, about to give a horizontal slash-

“Gotcha!”

But-

*Clang*

Don’t know how it happened, but he blocked my attack. I was dumbstruck. How on earth did he? His blade was clearly on the other side from my sword, but now it stood against mine. Though from what little I saw, he changed the trajectory. Immediately shifting his blade from left to right while in between movements, that was, by no means, an easy thing. Logically, that needs immense speed and solid control over one’s own body. Even after that it’s not that effortless to change direction of movement.

“Not so fast, boy.”

He pushed me back and slashed over my chest. That cut was deep, as when I immediately leaped back, blood gushed out and I kneeled winching with pain.

“Hisashi!”

“Aniki!”

Cried Aya and Katsuro-san. But no, I can’t afford right now, I can’t afford to avert my attention to their sorrowful wails, because I am doing it all for them. I am protecting everyone here, and I will until the very last ounce of my energy depletes.

But first I have to suppress my pain. Because in front of me lies a vicious enemy. This battle is of life-or-death.

I took deep breaths as I stood straight, gripped the hilt of my sword tightly and loosened my shoulders. Trusting my passive skill, I stood in a steady stance as if about to begin a marathon and-

“JeonBu Kamihame 12th stance <whirlwind>!”

-I swung my sword multiple times in a split-second. This instantly created roaring winds that charged at the guy from everywhere. It thrashed and made dust gather around him.

“I have concern for your tricks, that it will be ineffective against m-”

I swiftly zoomed at him thanks to my speed buff and swung my sword, but he was still fast enough to block. Though, my attack doesn’t stop here because I continued striking him. Since he was caught off-guard a little, it gave me an advantage.

With one final heavy strike, I sent him sliding back. Not wasting a single more second, I again zoomed at him shouting-

“JeonBu Kamihame 4th stance <Atomic pierce>!”

Swiftly dashing at him which caused him to have apparent disappearance of me, I swung my blade aiming the tip at his chest. I was so very sure it’d finally be over. Butwith just his glove-worn hand, he grabbed my very blade rendering me immobile.

At that moment, his sword that he held on his other hand glowed a cyan-ish hue and sparks of electricity emanated, disseminating and propagating gradually in intensity.

“My choice was wrong, to hold back my strength. Very well, boy, you really are lucky to be the first child ever to experience my full power. As I’d expect from the promised one.”

Intensity of the sparks further increased and with a swift, he disappeared from my sight. I was confused for a second, because what the hell? I used one of the dangerous techniques of my sword style, and he just grabbed the sharp blade like a wooden stick.

With absolutely no knowledge of direction, I received a deep and painful slash on my right arm, followed by similar, grievous cuts across my left arm and both my legs.

It’s somewhat similar to my 15th stance <flash cutter>...

Suddenly, he appeared just behind me, with his sword still roaring with sparks-

“It is the end.”

-and gave another blow to my back. Blood spurted out everywhere from my body, and I stood limping somehow, my legs, arms, whole body shaking. 

“Hisashii!!”

“Aniki!!”

In the meantime he again disappeared, reappearing a little away from me and wiping his blood-stained blade clean.

“I hope I may have made it clear, the difference between us. You held on for this long and I am impressed, honestly speaking.”

But no-

“I...am not...done yet…”

-I’m still not done yet. I’m frickin’ not done yet. Because who else here can fight besides me? Who else can stand up to them and protect the others? Who has the confidence to do so, and not be a scaredy cat to later chicken out as if nothing happened? I’m not self-praising. I know I may not be the main character of some superhero novel, but frankly who else is here to protect the students?
I’m saying it again and again, but since I am protecting them, I will until the very last ounce of my energy depletes.

Every single inch of my body, from my head to my foot is hurting worse than hell, as if I’m stabbed with a thousand knives throughout. Legs and arms shaking tremendously. But still I tried to suppress my pain as much as I could, with deep breaths trying to calm my panting. Then clenched my sword.

“JeonBu…Kamihame…sword style…”

“I must commend your irresistibly strong willpower. You’re the first ever child who has survived my serious attack and is still standing. But, my dear boy, how long can you survive further?”

“...20th stance! <Heavenly cut>”

 

*       *       *  (Shifting of POV)

3