[Vol. 1] Chapter-3: Magic Academy (13)
35 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...how…did I get here?”

She told him everything that had happened during his absence of consciousness.

“So Julian carried me here. But…What about Katsuro-san and his sister?”

Asked Hisashi.

“They apparently…c-came with their family…So they l-live somewhere outside this aca…demy .”

“Aah…”

He gave a melancholic gaze at her, noticing her stuttering.

…Probably because of the shock…

“Anyways, let’s head for dinner, shall we?”

He said, averting his gaze and stretching his arms.

“Mm…”

*

At the cafeteria sat Hisashi and Aya at one corner, as Hisashi munched up on his this-time vegeterian meal. But Aya sat still. She was resisting to eat, she didn’t have an appetite. Her dilated pupils gazed through the sizzling meat on her plate, unfocused at anything, as if pondering in her own world. Though she finally grasped the fork and speared the meat. Hisashi watched her do so all the while devouring his own meal.

The shock is still eating her it seems…

He was struck with a wave of melancholy, for he was responsible for making her feel under the weather.
At the same time, though, a mysterious figure of a man in white attire stood near the entrance to the kitchen, keeping an eye over Hisashi and Aya whilst unnoticed by them.

“I can’t…taste anything…”

Said Aya, and the figure disappeared behind the kitchen doors.
Though, Aya’s comment didn’t fail to affect Hisashi, for his guilt had soared to another level, craving to do something for her.

Perhaps I should do something…

Hisashi Thought.

*

After dinner, they were on their way amidst the vast campus of the Fedmorth academy, to the hostel. Trees stretched far off till one could see, on both the sides of the bricked road, while the road itself devoured by fallen leaves that crackled under their steps. A peaceful silence hung surrounding the two, as though seeking the depths of nature and becoming one with it.

“Let’s explore the campus, Aya. Wanna?”

Perhaps this way she’d cheer up…

“...Okay…”

They went a different route from the usual. And much to their fortune they stumbled upon something marvelous, something magnificent–a lake glimmering gloriously beneath the shining moonlight, evoking a sense of solemn tranquillity. A school of fishes occasionally jumped out and into the lake, echoing ploppings of water into the surroundings. Dense trees lined the bank, whose delightful fragrant whiff wafted up to Hisashi Kurogane and Aya Tsukuyomi.

Hisashi strode a few steps towards the lake, and inhaled deeply.

“Haahh, don’t think I’ll ever get used to this freshness…”

He turned to Aya with a gentle smile–

“Right, Aya?”

Aya on the other hand was lost in her own thoughts. 

“H-huh? Oh…yea…”

Hisashi’s eyes gloomed again. His guilt, that had dissipated owing to the exhilarating landscape, struck back.

…Still not enough to bring up her spirits?

Something was bothering Aya, indeed, proven by her recent mental state. But what could it be? Hisashi pondered. It must not have been due to his defeat, he thought–obviously, that was a common thing! Wars, and even mere friendly matches, are bound to have winners and losers. Since, in his case it was somewhat a death-battle, what was fortunate was that he’s alive and breathing.

“Uhm…Hisashi…if you’re okay with saying…then what…are those scars on your b-body…?”

Hisashi jolted–he was taken aback by Aya’s sudden remarks, his cheeks reddening.

Scars?? Wait wait wait…Did she see my…NAKED BODY?!

“Back at the infirmary, as I’ve t-told you in our room…”

–Hisashi calmed down from his destructed mental peace, focusing on her.

“T-the nurse…saw many scars…all over your b-body…”

A few seconds of silence followed, Hisashi gazing at the fidgeting Aya as her cheeks began to redden and sweat. He then sighed.

Inevitably, the day arrived, huh. Welp, how long could I have kept it from her anyway…

He took a deep breath, facing up gazing at the millions and millions of serene stars that stretched for infinity. 

…Would she…hate me after this?

Hisashi shook his head. He knew that he was just overly scrutinizing the situation as usual, that that was the perfect moment to correct his mistake–his chance to apologise for lying about his past. There could not have been any better time than now, he thought, and even if there were, it would be pointless to wait. And judging by Aya’s personality, the chances of hatred were rare to nil–she just wasn’t going to be the type of girl to hate him, Hisashi of all others. He was the only person who came forward to help when everyone else thrashed her, he was the only one who caught her hand and pulled her from the shadows when no one else even bothered to. Hence, he decided, to keep trust and faith on Aya and unload the burden of his past.

“Please don’t hate me for this, but…”

He began.

“These scars...are from a long time ago. When I was just two…”

0