2 – The Birth of Enos
207 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Leaving the stall behind, rows after rows of crowds formed before him. A sea of people slowly filled up the sides of the streets as decorations such as balloons, posters, admiration signs and other ornaments pleasing to the eye could be seen from left to right. 

  Styril halted, stood still on his spot and gazed at one side of the road. Fortunately, he was tall enough to see through the gaps of the crowd in front of him. Giving him no problem as a spectator from the most back. 

  Not long after, a marching band could be seen on the street on a moving platform while playing patriotic music as an introductory to the Elven Queen's visit. While a handful of aspiring musicians followed after the marching band's melody with their respective instrument— a wonderful sight for him.

  He is not a patriot, but simply enjoys any genre of music. Though, he also has his favourite genre like everyone else and believes there is no bad genre— only bad music. 

  A formation of modern guards with heavy arsenals in white and green passes by after the marching band. Driving slowly through the street on their 2-wheeled tactical vehicle. As they paid no mind to the crowds' cheers and kept their focus ahead.  

  Mentally, Styril took note of the guards' weapons. Mana-powered repeating crossbow with a bayonet, which serves as a general-purpose weapon. While the detachable bayonet could be infused with mana for deadlier means. Both combined could be used for all ranges, with the ability to exterminate threats in a short time. So, in the right hands such as the Elven Empress's elite guards, 'short time' is an understatement. 

  "Here comes the Empress!"

  "Welcome, Empress! We love you!"

  "Step aside, I couldn't see her!" 

  "Just a bit higher, then I can see her feet!"

  The crowd grew rowdier as Styril stood on his toes looking in their direction. A large antique vehicle in white and green colour could be seen driven slowly through the loud street. Twice the length of two normal cars combined. 

  The Empress gave small waves to the crowd with an unbiased gaze. Smiling, either for the sake of smiling or given genuinely. She appears neither young nor old, but it was well known she had a long life. Her attire is hidden under her large royal cape while only showing the beauty of her face. 

  "The Empress's crown…" Styril muttered while eyeing the national piece— his objective. 

  He gazes at the public clock, waiting for the right time. Taking a deep breath, his hands tighten into fists of conviction. Eyes narrowed and vibrant as he looks at the darkening blue sky— colours glaring down. 

  Under the layers of marching bands' music, he whistles. A familiar melody, the gold among the coals. To the trained ears, they can distinguish the quality. Painful yet sweet, piercing through its peers and spread throughout the street. 

  

  "High-mana blast from above incoming! Initiate protocol 0!"  One of the guards shouted with eyes widened at the sky. 

  Swift, the guards gathered around the vehicle in a hexagon formation. Each with their bow, they pulled the strings simultaneously. A white light enveloped them as they fired a volley of mana arrows. Fused, as it became a large ray par with the size of the incoming mana blast. But it was futile.

  The ray disintegrated immediately against the deadly mana blast. It's as if the guards' efforts seemed like a joke. 

  The pedestrians panicked, but the streets were too packed for them to run. As fixated as they can be, survival was the priority. They pushed each other, leaving the unfortunate behind. Children separated from parents, crying on the ground with clothes dirtied by footsteps. The elderly, some tried to run, others stayed while few were 'short-lived'. 

  "Aegis," Styril muttered, standing amidst the chaos. Eyes composed and relieved of tension. 

  The street quake upon impact. The mana blast covered a large radius from one end of the street to the other. Though, it did not reach the ground. 

  "A… barrier?" One of the guards opened his eyes and saw the blast was blocked by a translucent barrier— Styril's barrier. 

  Lights flashing before their eyes as the mana blast continues to pressure like flames flaring onto a brick wall. Ground shaking, everyone braced themselves from the non-stop impact. All for except one. 

  Styril covered his face with his only palm. Followed by a short melody, a metallic helmet formed underneath and masked him. Stepping forward, he slowly trails towards the centre of the scene while whistling the same melody. 

  A new piece of attire formed on him with every few steps. Purely made out of solidified sound waves weaved with his music, up to the bottom. An appearance in black with golden trims— dignified and ominous. 

  After several tremors with screams upon screams, the mana blast dispersed. The continuous quakes were no more. Leaving a mess behind and a memorable event for most. 

  Styril, within his full attire, caught the attention of many. The melody of his whistle grew louder like the breeze of an incoming storm, soothing yet grim. 

  Rain pours down from the dark sky, as he stood still at the centre of the street, like a statue. With a gentle wave of his hand, his barrier shattered into thousand tiny pieces. Each reflecting dim images of him before fading away.  

  He stopped whistling, as silence followed after. Neither the crowd dared to utter a word. Revealing himself before the Empress's guards and herself with his composed gaze hidden underneath. 

  The guards wasted no time and quickly stood up. Frowning with eyes narrowed, they ready their weapon in case he shows any aggression. 

  "Identify yourself, user!" One of the guards yelled while glaring at him. 

  Styril took a step forward, causing a guard to flinch. He chuckled before putting his only arm at his back, "Enos."

  "How about your agency? Organisation?" The guard pressured. A man who can block a large mana blast is no joke. 

  Followed by a distorted sound, Styril ignored the question. The guards pulled the strings due to his incorporation making him seem more or less of a threat. 

  Then, one of the guards whispered to their leader causing his expression to twist as he sighs, "Team, weapons down as instructed by the Empress. "

  Each guard slowly pulls their powered bow away from Styril. But their hands are still gripping onto it. 

  "As a representative of the Empress's voice, the Empress said, 'Enos, or whoever you are, I apologise for my guards' behaviour and I'm deeply grateful for the help, or it would have ended up in such a bloody matter, Hero'."

  "It is but only a trivial matter. I'm no hero, nor do I intend to become one, " Styril answered, as several few frowned at his words. 

  The guard then passed another message, "Well then, if so, it is only fair for the royalty to reward you handsomely as a form of gratitude. Name your price, and I shall provide it, but there's a limit depending on your answer. "

  "I strive for a cause, greater than any. So, the Empress may not be able to provide what I need— the crown if you may. "

Unedited chapter. As a side note, my upload speed is 3 or above chapters per week. Add me on discord if you wanna chat a bit, VA#5493. And I would start to sketch for each character

12