5 – Double the Better
180 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  Escaping on foot, each of Styril's steps. Boosted with mighty mite sound waves, his body motion was fluid and smooth, as he worked his legs and ran as far as possible. With the help of translucent platforms, he used them as footholds to travel up the buildings to another— a different part of the city. 

  Raining, the trims of his attire glistened under the rain. Bright colours shone near and afar, an endless sea of stalls could be seen below. Different demi-races, felines, lupus, vulpes and such of the common ones passing by each other through the busy traffic. Each one of them was occupied with their business.

  

  Under the roof of an apartment balcony, he could feel a gaze on his back through the glass door. The resident was in awe with eyes blinking several times. 

  "Feast your eyes on this performance— only once in a lifetime," From his shoulders, he glanced at the resident with a trademark smile. His only hand on his hip, along with the real crown. 

  Climbing onto the fences, he stood on it with the edges of his sandals. With a small salute, he turned around and let himself fall freely. 

  The breeze enveloped, as air built up, trying to resist his fall. The hems of his attire flustered against the wind with eyes smiling. Enjoying each moment of it with the cold touches of rain droplets. 

  No fear, only excitement for what comes after. Mankind's fear, known as the unknown, only he embraces it. 

  Upon seeing the walls, he had entered an alley. From the edges of his eyes, he saw a familiar figure, to his surprise— Venia Loveless. One who he had met earlier, one who did not judge his looks. 

  He had told her to meet at the alley nearby the previous location. Perhaps she had thought that place was too risky? And chased after him?

  He reached out to the black sky with his palm, humming. The sound waves gathered, solidifying a translucent umbrella within his hand as he gripped onto it. With one motion, he opened it and descended slowly. 

  

  Whistling, a familiar melody of sweet and tales of journey. His attire dispersed bit by bit, from the tiniest particles into sound waves which faded into thin air. The tattered clothes revealed underneath, returning his appearance as a hobo.

  "A melody, a beautiful melody, Sir Styril?" Leaning against the wall with hands clasped together and a deck of cards in between. She looked above, stunned by the sight of him descending with specks of golden lights flickering around him. 

  Styril landed with grace, gently on the ground, "What a surprise to see you here, Venia. A welcome surprise… Did you follow me all the way here?"

  "Yes, I did-" She answered instantly. 

  "-But the police would visit the previous area as an emergency response. So meeting up at the promised spot after the 'performance' sir Styril had caused would be risky," She added, while her hands were playing with a card. 

  Styril had noted the distinguished skills for every person he had met in the previous timeline, regardless if they were heroes or not. In terms of strategic planning and wits, Venia is second to none. She was his long-fought enemy for over 5 years, one of the few who had pushed him to the edge and nearly killed him, giving him a lot of injuries at those times when he was still a hero. But he had moved on, accepting the changes that had forced on him.

  So, upon meeting her at the stall earlier, he could not let the chance slip by. Her value as an ally is priceless, and she can help his plan a lot. 

  Hearing her words coming from her thoughts of ensuring the safety of this small meeting of theirs. A string was pulled in the deepest depth of his mind, one that was once pure but now dirtied and deteriorated— touched. 

  Shifting his gaze aside, he sighed while feeling rather satisfied and muttered "This is what you meant by, 'not being able to live without each other'." 

  "Can you repeat that? I couldn't hear your words," Venia stood closer, facing up to Styril's taller height with a face full of questions, tilting. 

  "One day, I'll tell you again— if you join me on this journey, and receive power to change your fate," He changed the topic, avoiding her words. 

  "To be honest, whatever the journey is… all I care about is power, no o-offence," She stuttered as her eyes slanted down for a moment before she shook her head. 

  After a few moments of silence, he laughed, slapped on his knee and passed an umbrella to her, smiling— a rather different one. His gaze seemed to soften, "Honesty is the best policy they say. Anyways, here, take it. I wouldn't want you to catch a cold."

  "W-wait, this is weird… because you're a villain-"

  "Being a villain doesn't mean that I couldn't do something nice," He replied. 

  "Thank you, sir," Eyeing somewhere else with the umbrella in one hand, the bangs of her hair covering half of her expression. "It's been so long ever since someone was ever kind to me."

  Venia found it ironic that a villain treated her like a proper human, unlike the other people she had met in the past including heroes— due to reasons. To her, having a normal talk is close to a miracle.

 "Cruelty is a disease, it's infectious and spreads, meanwhile there's only little kindness. Such is the world that we live in, and you're welcome, but please, no need to call 'sir' anymore. I'm not even married yet nor am I in a relationship. Moreover, whoever in their right mind would want to marry a homeless man?" Styril chuckled and formed another translucent umbrella. 

  "That's good news," She mumbled. 

  He was slightly caught off guard by her words for someone naive like her. So, it was a surprise to him, "Pardon? Did you say something?"

  "O-oh, uhm, nothing. I tend to ramble stuff."

  "Well then, the most important question is— have you reconsidered your choice?"

  She giggled, with both of her hands close to her lips. With a bright smile, she twirled under the rain, "After all of the show you put on, and me chasing after you with the offer of power? The answer should be obvious, Styril."

  Chuckling once again, he nodded to himself while feeling rather relieved, "Good, good! From here onwards, Venia Loveless, you are now my partner. I shall grant you power shortly after this!"

  With hidden curves on Venia's smile, she muttered, "Power is only one of the reasons I joined you."

  

  

  

  

11