Chapter 26: The Phoenix and the little Luma…
110 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm sorry for the late upload.

The morning of the blood moon was blissful. I spent it under Alijah, who made love to me repeatedly until the point of almost overwhelming me. Even though these past months had been crazy and filled with hardships. If my life ended today… Tonight... I would have no regrets.

Vera had been the entire night crying on me. While she wept, she told me that if I did not come out victorious over that bird that she would never forgive me. My brothers were a bit more stable than her, but I could see the gloss in their orbs too. Both said similar things too.

Dad and Mom did not let me see them cry over it, though their eyes were puffy the last time I saw them. They also told me to come back to them. Shade and Ruzgard both stated I couldn't fail since I was too dumb to be taken over.

Even so, they stayed for a long amount of time with me the previous day as well. It was the first time they had ever done so. I mean, Shade never left Mom, but yesterday she remained with me for most of the day.

 When everyone left, it was just Alijah and me in the room. And that was what led to the loving he was currently giving me. All I could do was tell him I loved him. My words made him go rougher and more passionate with each time. His touch made me feel like I was going to melt into the bed at any moment.

We probably should have rested for what was coming, but honestly, this was better. If these were my last hours, I would not have wanted them any other way. However, when dusk approached us, Alijah gazed outside the window, sighing before tightening his grip on my hands that he had held the entire time.

It was only a matter of time before Mom and Dad came for us. They would take us into the barriers outside the town. Though I did not want to let go of this warmth at all.

"One more...?" Alijah whispered, gazing back at me.

I nodded, triggering a smile to raise on his lips. Those crimson orbs of his showed worry. It made me wonder if he was drowning himself in me.

"Okay..." He murmured.

I kissed him lightly on his lips, only for him to deepen it soon after. My legs rested on his hips as he thrust himself into me again. I could not count how many times he had made me his, but this was not the third or fifth.

My body moved in his rhythm. Though I tried to focus on our kiss. Our tongues played, tangling with each other before separating only for a moment of air. This allowed words of affection to leave his lips.

I was such a fool.

Even though I had been so adamant before about being just a pastime to Alijah. There was no doubt in my mind that he loved me. In his eyes, no... everything about him screamed he adored me. If I lost myself, it would only bring him pain, which was something I would never allow to happen.

So, in this fight, I had to win. No matter what, but even so... that alone had evolved too. My reason for winning, though, was not only my wolf anymore. No, it had grown to wanting to see my nephews be born. Vera only wanted me and Mom in the room with her when she gave birth. It was a promise she made me swear I would be there for her.

Something that I could not... and would not fail her in. After the beach trip, though, my sister softened up to Leonard somewhat. Although she remained adamant that the babies were not his. At least there was progress for the two, which made me hopeful for her future, even if I were to fail this trial of mine.

And if I somehow won this battle, Leonard would still be there for Vera after the blood moon, too. He was not training me for this moment, but for Edna's counterattack, which could be at any moment. Mom had detected changes in the soul cairn a few months ago. They were not the ones to start it, so it left Edna as the only one who could have done so.

In fact, because of the recent changes, every nation was preparing itself for battle. The threat of an eternal witch was too much for anyone to allow to go on. It saddened me somewhat to know that. It made me wonder what kind of life Edna led for her to find herself in the ditch she was in.

Even so, I could not forgive her. No, there was no forgiving her for what she made everyone go through. I could only wonder how many lives she tried to ruin in this crazy path of hers. I knew she cursed my aunt Melody. Mom, Dad, and my siblings were also targeted by Edna too.

While Alijah suffered because of her, too. No matter what her past held, it gave her no right to hurt all the people I cared about. So... I could not fall. Not yet. Or so I hoped. There was no way to know what Midnight was planning.

Alijah's movements became rougher, to the point I felt him slam into me, exploding within me. I responded the same as my body quivered. Releasing my hands, he quickly gripped my hips, pulling me closer so there was no space separating us.

His member twitched inside of me, triggering a whine to leave my lips. However, instead of knotting me this time, he gazed at me, letting go of my hips. Trailing his hand through my body, he suddenly stopped on my belly where my light scar was.

There, he winced when a painful thought crossed his mind.

"You will... be you, right?" Alijah asked, trying to stay strong.

For such a scary wolf, he seemed small and brittle. I simpered, reaching for his cheek only to be met with his hand instead. This man had suffered the most out of all of us, was what worried me out of everyone. If Midnight replaced my consciousness then, he would...

"Promise me something." I began slowly sitting up, even though my entire body felt so sore that it was a struggle to do so.

However, I did not regret a moment I spent with him. This battle was not a physical, but a mental one. So, my body being unable to keep up with me did not bother me. He would have to give me a piggyback ride all the way there.

Fun fact, I would enjoy every moment of that too. Yet another win for me. It seemed happiness was all that I could feel lately.

"I don’t know." Alijah sighed, not liking that I had blown past his question and replaced it with a request.

If I disappeared... he would stay behind with Midnight when she took over my body. Because of this, I would not technically be dead.

"Promise me you’ll protect them in my stead.” I reached for his cheek with my other hand.

The moment it was on my palm, I caressed it with my thumb, but he was not having it. My request was unreasonable, after all. At least for him, it was. I was referring to my family, something that he had also grown to love somewhat. I could tell from the way he gazed at them while they were not looking.

They had also become precious in a way. Especially my brothers.

"No," Alijah growled firmly.

I saw through his tough demeanor. A defense mechanism he had developed to deal with anything that scared him. Pulling myself up fully, my wolf held me by my back to support me. He was not ready to pull out of me yet. If only we would be like this forever. An unthinkable wish, but one I desired, would come true.

"Promise me, please," I whispered, holding myself up as well by placing the hand that was not on held by him on his shoulder for better support.

His expression was not one of bleakness.

"I don’t care about anyone but you, Rem." He winced, letting go of my hand, gripping onto his chest.

Losing me would destroy his heart, something I never wanted. Softly, I pulled myself up to kiss his lips, simpering because of it. The sweetness he responded with was almost too much to bear. This whole time, everything had been bliss. Somehow, I was married to this man who somehow loved me, too. It was a miracle.

A wish I thought would never come true. I never wanted to leave him... but... if I were to be replaced by Midnight or become someone else because of our merger. I still wanted him to be happy. Though I would fight like there was no tomorrow to come back to my wolf, even so...

"Don't lie. I can see you have grown fond of them too." I smiled.

He frowned, pushing me back onto the bed. This time fully pressing his body against mine, I hugged him in return, wrapping my legs around his waist.

"I can’t live without you, Rem. Not after showing me what love is like. You’ve made me weak, little luma." Alijah whispered, pressing his forehead against mine.

I traced my fingers down his back. How... was any of this real? How did he love me? Perhaps I was still stuck in that dreamscape I had made for myself. Maybe I was imagining everything, even including the fact we were star-crossed lovers from the celestial plains.

Everything was unreal, yet it was my life.

"I’ll always be with you, my love," I reassured my wolf.

He did not want to hear that, but if it were the case that I would disappear. I knew I would haunt him for life. Even though in reality I would have become part of Midnight. That still seemed surreal. Then again, this goddess had not been honest with us all the time.

Two gods merging... well... this could end badly.

"If Midnight..." Alijah trailed off the moment my hands touched his cheeks once again.

Those red eyes of his were looking at me with such affection that I could barely handle it.

"I’ll always be with you, Alijah. No matter what happens today. I mean... in my other life I did the impossible just to have you again. This will be nothing." I repeated, simpering.

He narrowed his eyes, grabbing one of my hands before softly kissing it.

"If that’s the case, I’ll find a way to get you back." My wolf promised.

I knew he was not ready for this at all. He had a tough exterior, but it seemed he was going to break any time.

Was Valdios the same way, Fenrir?

"I know you will, but... if you don’t and you find love again. I want you to take it." I smiled.

He growled loudly, kissing me deeply once again. I had not expected it. His warm tongue caressed mine, causing saliva to drip down my chin. The moment he stole my breath, he pulled away slightly.

Those crimson orbs were glowing somewhat.

"I would never look at another woman or anyone the way I see you, Rem." Alijah huffed.

Those words were not what he wanted to hear, but they were true. I wanted him to be free of me, even if he would have to serve Midnight when I was gone because of the bond. If he ever loved anyone else, although it scared me, I wanted him to take it.

"Well, I’ll always be your first wife." I pointed out.

In response, he pinned my hands onto the bed, licking my neck, hovering his fangs over my shoulder. It made me wonder if he wanted to bite me so he could mark me, but instead of doing so, he shook his head, facing me once again.

The blood moon was already influencing him.

"You’ll be my only wife in this life and the next," Alijah swore, narrowing his eyes, frowning.

I could not help myself but tear up. All I ever wanted was to be his lover. His one and only, and somehow, I became his wife and the love of his life.

"I love you, Alijah-tan." I simpered, trying to hold the tears.

 I did not want... could not allow this to be the end of us. Not after everything we had been through.

"I love you too, Rem." He professed to me, kissing me.

The only thing that stopped him was a knock coming from the door. Unwillingly, my wolf pulled away from me, dressing before helping me do so as well. We already knew who it was behind the door. The clock showed it was time for us to get moving.

My shaking legs, though, did not let me take a couple of steps. Sighing, Alijah helped me up onto his back. I could not help but giggle, hugging onto him tightly. Carrying me out of the room, we met with Ezra, a grey-haired Lycan. He was one of my dad's faithful friends.

Ezra worked in Cerberus with Liam and occasionally came to visit Dad when he had free time to spend, which was hard to find. Taking care of his kids and wife usually took all of it. He had married a Lycan girl known as Mia, who used to be their best friend's off-and-on girlfriend.

She had given birth to that friend's child, too. Apparently, that friend was Owen, who had died in the attack the witches did the day my dad received his powers. Essentially, this friend saved my father from a wolfsbane-filled cup.

Though, now Ezra also had kids of his own with Mia. Though they were younger than I, thus keeping him busier than usual. Owen’s kid was older than me by a few months. And recently, she was hanging out with someone he did not want them to be with.

This was with Kira’s child, a young man now. His mother had caused hardships for Aunty Melody and Mom, but I did not think it a good thing to isolate them because of his mother's choices. His father was never known, but the boy was named Lloyd.

While Mia’s and Owen’s child was a young woman now. They seemed in love and Ezra was having small headaches because of it. After all, even though it was not his biological child, he loved that girl like she was his own. Her name was Hope.

I had never had the pleasure of meeting his children, but they were all going well. The only reason I knew this was because Vera was gossiping with me.

"Hey, are you ready kiddo?" Ezra greeted us by bowing his head.

Alijah huffed, not happy that this was happening at all. To him, it would have been better if this were all a nightmare he could wake up from. My father assigned Ezra to be our guide since he would be in his pen with my brothers. While Alijah and I would be in a different one together.

Vera would be with Mom back at the house, hoping if something were to trigger anything in her, she could help her. Though Leonard was also sticking close to her. So, all my worries were at ease. The rest of the Lycans were to be sealed off behind one of the most powerful barriers known to this mortal realm to protect the public.

Though it was doubtful that Dragon scale barriers could hold red-eye wolves if they wanted to come out. So, instead of taking any chances, Dad had some royal vampires come from Celnaer to protect the town from us tonight. We were a danger to anyone who was not a Lycan in Silverant.

The blood moon made us go wild, which was something we lumas rarely felt. I mean, the moon did influence us a bit, but not to the extent of the purebreds. This whole situation was like what had happened the first time Dad had gotten his blessing from the red moon. Though no one had expected the morning to be when the witches attacked.

Our enemy always loved to choose the time when the vampires were at their weakest. Probably because at night they were... something else entirely. Lycans had always been at the top because of our relentless power no matter the time of day, but at night those who roamed supreme were the vampires.

Especially the royals, who could control blood from a distance. It was like a radius of certain death if one got too close. Though they were not immune to magic, nor could they control someone's blood for long. Though during the time they did, the damage they could inflict would be devastating.

Of course, if it was a battle. To win, one would have to stay away from that radius of death to stay alive. All while hoping for morning to come quickly. Another way to win was to overwhelm them with bodies. Of course, not all would survive.

When I asked Alijah about the past after our trip to the beach, he told me it had always been a constant war between the vampires and Lycans, who were resistant to some point to their magic. Though the blood control was something that our magic resistance could not repel. It attacked our insides more than our exterior.

Luckily, that was something hard for a royal to do. Well, at this day and age when their magic had been diluted. Though by the time Alijah was born, they were already falling from their grace with their god. Thus, their magic was weakening to where the Lycans thought they were at the tipping point.

The wolves desired to become the only apex predators in the world. Thus, they hoped to get the power they needed to overthrow the vampires when their god rendered them impotent in battle. Apparently, what made them so fearsome was that they used to have feathered wings. They were the first to rule the sky.

Though that was the first thing that their god took from them. No one knew why it happened, probably because the vampires tried to hide it at all costs, but when they had lost their place with their god, Mulriac. The Lycans tried to make their move. That was when Alijah was sent to Allora, to gather alleys in the witches that lived there and moon elves.

Though my wolf also pointed out something that intrigued me. All races feared the time controlling witches, also known as eternal witches, such as Edna. The purge of their kind began way before the vampires lost their magic. One that was close to what regular witches possessed.

It seemed when the vampires were still strong enough to keep the Lycans at bay with their magic. The only ones who they feared the most were these witches that were rarer than the stars themselves. Well, rare in our time and back in Alijah's era. To my wolf, though, they seemed like normal witches with the benefit of holding time in brief, fleeting moments.

But to others, these women were more than that. They were a danger that had to be exterminated. From what we knew, Edna could only stop time for herself. Even after all these years, or at least it was what we had seen. After all, she did nothing else that could damage the timeline itself. Well, with her magic, at least.

I mean, the witch pulled Alijah out of his dimensional prison, which was worrisome. Though, what he said next after made me rage a bit. It seemed what scared everyone the most was a prophecy of a powerful witch being born, one that could fracture time and destroy everything with a swipe of her hand.

Something so flimsy was being used to exterminate someone who had not harmed anyone. It truly was something horrible and unthinkable. After all, how would they know if that person would do something so evil for no reason at all?

The whole thing reminded me of how Alijah had been treated by the elders, too. No, if they were to do something like destroying the fabric of time. It would be for a reason. Probably something that made them hate this world enough to want to destroy it.

Yet I did not understand why hatred bred more of it. Why couldn’t we all get along? I usually never worried about things like this, but the thought of my nephews having to deal with something like this. It enraged me in ways I did not think possible.

We did not know if the babies would be both warlocks, dhampirs, humans, or vampires, but the thought of them being hurt because of this chain of hatred. It was something that I could barely handle anymore. I had to come back from this encounter, no matter what. I had to be ready for everything that was to come, so I could shield the innocent from the guilty.

This was a first for me, though. Feeling like this was not usual for me. Savior of the world surely did not suit me at all either. I tightened my grip on Alijah, who walked behind Ezra. The grey wolf guided us out of the town and into the forest next to it. There used to be a witch coven that lived in these woods. The one my mother belonged to.

The Moira witches attempted to destroy this world, too. They also scarred my mother in ways that should never have happened, but that was another story. The origin where all of this began. And that had to do with my mother more than me. Though, the remains of the house were a reminder of what she had endured during her childhood, if we could call it one.

This world was ugly and unsuitable for anyone to live peacefully. It took a few hours of walking to get to where we were headed. Even though the moon was already up in the sky, the blood moon would not show until a bit later during the night. Once in our location, in a lovely meadow filled with flowers, Ezra bid farewell to us when he waved his hand. He cleared the area before the barriers went up.

The grey wolf was probably joining the other Lycans, his wife, and children for the night. Alijah slowly set me down, grabbing my cheeks, pulling me into a passionate kiss. There we stayed until the blood moon slowly rose into the sky.

The eclipse that was coming triggered Alijah's body to glow red, feverously kissing me more lovingly. Suddenly, he pushed me down onto the ground below. For a moment I thought my wolf had lost himself within the red moon that was coming into the sky. I could see the eclipse fill-up the normally yellowish circle that was in the sky.

He panted for air, growling. Grabbing me once again within his hands when I reached for his cheek, I felt no fear. His eyes were glowing so brightly, attempting to hold back the wild beast that was begging to be let free. Dad never wanted Alijah to stay with me for the night, but he would probably destroy everything in his path to get to me. So, it was concluded he would be tamer if I were around.

However, Alijah was not the only one being influenced by the moon. I also felt the pulses flow within me. When his hand softly caressed my cheek, it was almost as if my body wanted to burn hotter than ever before. The only thing I could do was reach for his face, too.

In that instance, I noticed that my body was also glowing as much as his. My chest radiated heat as my birthmark responded to the moon above and his essence. Suddenly, a sharp pain swelled within my lower abdomen as the scent of blood filled the air.

Instinctively, my wolf gazed down towards where the scent was coming from, panting for air, only for my heart to stop beating. For a moment, everything became blurry. Alijah yelled for my name. Sadly, even though I wanted to respond to him. Everything went dark.

In an instant, I found myself in utter darkness as a familiar sensation grabbed a hold of me. I struggled to get rid of the sweet embrace that held me, before suddenly hearing a memorable voice that had been imprinted on my mind.

"So, you’re finally here, Fenrir. I’ve been waiting for you for so long." Midnight announced her presence.

The darkroom suddenly became brighter, revealing a woman I had never once met before. She wore a beautiful blue dress that matched her fiery blue hair that reached down to her waist. Her blue eyes glowed. Though her body remained pitch black, like her other form.

I never thought I would ever see her in a form that resembled a humanoid being. Then again, maybe this was her actual body or at least something that resembled her. Another eye-catching thing was that her dress seemed to be made of feathers, too. And had she called me Fenrir?

"Midnight?" I mumbled, unable to believe my eyes.

I was utterly confused about what was going on. I mean, I had come here somehow. A few moments ago, it felt like my heart had stopped before I slipped into the darkness. Did I even reach to touch Alijah's cheek? All the warmth his skin and kiss had given me was. All I felt was the familiar frigid grip of death.

"I had to stop your heart to kill you. So, you and I can finally speak during the eclipse. It’s the last chance we get to do this, my love. The only time we could do this, actually." Midnight clarified, almost as if she had read my mind.

For a moment, I gazed at her, confused, shaking my head, trying to get rid of what had been going on before this moment. I had to concentrate. Was it even time, though? This place did not seem like a battlefield, but a flowery one. Cherry blossom trees surrounded us.

Why had she picked this place out of every single one of my memories? Was it because I felt safe here? It was where Alijah first embraced me.

"You killed me?" I mumbled.

She shrugged, causing the scenery to change. I suddenly found myself in the same place, but there was a dining table for two in front of us. She sat down, pointing towards my chair. I guess she wanted me to sit, too. Hesitantly, I conceded what she wanted, triggering a smile to come to her lips.

This felt like a date more than anything else.

Midnight, what are you planning?

"Yes, I did. I wanted Valdios to do it, but in the end, I could not bring myself to hurt him like that. Even if he was my rival for your affection. Then again, you never looked at me more than a friend." Midnight sighed.

I remembered the scent of blood that was lingering in the air before I lost consciousness. Though both his hands were near my face, nowhere near where the pain had come from. If she had even asked him to do that.

She was...

"You’re cruel," I growled.

She chuckled, grabbing onto a cup that seemed to be filled with wine, or some type of booze. It was not real though, just for show. There was also food and fruit served on the table too. An illusion...

"Somewhat. I have to find my fun and drama somewhere. Teasing that lovely wolf is the best, to be honest. And he gets to have you for eternity so he can take it." Midnight smiled, rolling her eyes.

"I’ll miss him too, I guess. Then again, this will be like I never existed. My last gift for you, my truest love." She shrugged.

Her words left me in disbelief. She seemed to have already declared defeat, which was something that caught me off guard. At first, she had said it would be a battle for our lives, but this scenery was one of goodbye rather than any conflict.

For some reason, it was almost heart-wrenching for me. Gripping my chest, I closed my eyes. I needed to find out why we found ourselves in this scenery of blossom trees. A place that brought me so much happiness. It was where Alijah responded to my feelings for the first time.

Why this place? What is she saying?

"So... what’s happening?" I asked, trying to stay concentrated on what was going on in front of me.

Midnight waved her hand around, changing the scenery again to that of a forest I had never seen before. It seemed she knew it was making me uncomfortable. Though this did not make it any better. Blue orbs were everywhere, but I could not identify where I was anymore.

This place was not part of my memory. So, it had to be part of hers... or my past life.

"This? Oh, well, there are a lot of things we have to get through today." Midnight responded, facing me once again.

I knew right away; she was not being truthful yet again. She never was.

"Why do I feel you’ve been lying to us?" I continued to query.

She chuckled, closing her eyes before slowly opening them again, smiling at me. She seemed pleased that I had caught on somewhat.

"Oh, Fenrir... I never knew you could be sharp. I thought that was Valdios' role in your current relationship." She snickered, gazing away slightly.

"I’ve been lying to you and to everyone else about what will truly happen here." She tapped her fingers on the table where we sat.

It was a bit triggering, to be honest. I knew she would not allow me to know everything that she was planning.

"Why do you keep calling me Fenrir? And are you going to tell me what are the lies you told?" I asked, growling.

She shrugged, getting up from the chair, walking towards me. Grabbing my left shoulder with her hand, I shivered. Her grip on me was tight, yet gentle.

"Well, I didn’t lie about your role in this. Destroy or seal that book away somehow. Before it takes Valdios’s life again." Midnight answered, gazing forward towards the horizon.

“Even when he was gone, you never looked my way. Pitiful.” She sighed.

Her revelation shocked me. Though we already knew Valdios was part of the victims the book took, it seemed there was something I was missing about that, too. She seemed fond of me, while I did not feel the same.

Though that was not what stunned me. No, it felt like she insinuated that Alijah’s past life’s death was…

"Ah... I forget at times that you don’t remember a single thing. Valdios died because of you. He protected you when you jumped into the mayhem." She pointed out.

I gulped, feeling off by what she had said. It had been my fault?

"You’re the reason I tried to destroy the book, too. You see, with your insatiable desire to protect Valdios, you saw the potential the book possessed. This meant you were one of the first ones to attempt to annihilate it.” She informed.

“Of course, you thought it would be easy. After all, Valdios was the god of destruction, but Selene sold you out. Your mother loathed sharing the moon's power with you." Midnight chuckled, not moving from where she was.

I tried to brace myself, but her words were feeding on my insecurities.

None of this has to do with the current me. Don’t let it affect you!

"My father, Yama, the god of death, was the first one to find the damn book. He sought after the book's desire for destruction in search of power. His heart is blacker than the magic used to create the soul cairn.” She continued, gripping me tighter.

“So, to punish you, the first to move against him. He destroyed your other half, which he did with the help of the other divines that wanted the book to surpass Orenz’s and Aster’s tyranny." She took a deep breath.

I tried to remain calm after all... That had nothing to do with who I was now. Even so, it was making me unsteady. Something in my heart told me her words were true.

"Yama killed Valdios right in front of your eyes when he ripped his soul and sent him into the soul cairn. We, your friends, were helpless to stop it.” She sighed, shaking her head.

“That event destroyed you. And it also affected me in a way I never thought possible. I was happy to see you with your brother. Even though it meant there was no space in your heart for me.” A soft smile rose on her lips.

Everything she was saying… was genuine.

“Not that I didn’t try to win your heart. Sadly, a god can only love once they say. Sadly, this means the same for me. I can only love you, no matter what I do.” The smile was gone.

“However, your bright smile was all I needed back then. I have loved you since before I can even remember anymore." Midnight's voice cracked a bit.

I felt a sting in my chest. Even though she spoke of another life, to her it was real. I was still that person to her. The one who never responded to her love.

"After they stole that away from me. I went after the book too, but of course, I failed. Well, not before losing other of our friends.” She huffed, angry at herself.

It seemed she was not saying the full story, yet I could tell it pained her.

“I’m sorry for leaving you alone all those years, but... Thanks to me being stuck in the soul cairn, you could bring Valdios back to life in the mortal realm. I marked his sleeping soul in the prison for you to find." She stopped for a moment.

I grabbed onto her hand, only for her to release a slight chuckle.

"Yet with my powers weakening... I never expected you to come to the mortal world, Fenrir. Why did you do something so stupid? Why did you make yourself a luma? And why did you save the human girl by splitting your soul like that?” she flowed a barrage of questions.

Ones I could never answer. Well, not as I was now. The pain in her voice echoed in my ears. She was baring herself to me, yet I…

“Did you love your brother so much to give up life as a divine?! How foolish can you be?! Or did you fucking hope everything would work out in the end! If it wasn’t for me, you’d be dead!” she snapped, scowling at me.

The sharpness of her voice caused me to wince. Part of me wanted to apologize, but I did not know for what. Her hold on me tightened.

“It irritates me how I have so many questions to ask, but you can’t answer any!” she huffed.

I wanted to move past that. Sadly, she was right. I could answer none of those questions. She kept calling me Fenrir, but I was not him anymore. I was Rem... the luma he desired to become. This was something I had to be proud of. I had to stand up.

"I am not Fenrir, Midnight. So... what will happen? Why did you bring me here?" I whispered, refusing to move my sight.

She shook her head before huffing a bit.

"You are stupid in this life, aren’t you? If you had your first life's memory, you would remember that I’m a seer. Thanks to my power, I rule over the souls of all living and dead things. I can see their past, present, and future. It’s how I manipulated both your souls to meet through the streams of time.” She informed.

“Not that I’m saying your plan wouldn’t have worked, but Valdios was full of hate. And no one wanted to help him. So, I had to create something to counteract it. After all, love is a fickle thing. Yet I did not expect you to hijack my creation.” She slipped, gazing away.

What creation?

Sadly, before I could speak, she continued.

“When I realized a mortal witch had found the book, I created a piece using the soul of the dead elf. I needed that witch to change her plans. But I can’t tell you anymore or else it will all go to shit. Not that my vow allows me.” She sighed, shaking her head.

It almost seemed like she could read my mind.

She can’t possibly mean… Mom?

“You see, the future is a fickle little thing. And it tries to correct itself. Then you come along and mess everything up. You are such a handful, my love." Midnight answered, leaving me unsatisfied and upset.

The future she spoke about terrified me. It felt like there was something that I was missing. An important part that made me afraid of the cost that we would endure.

Why is everything so hard to understand? She created Mom. How? And Why? What future are you aiming for Midnight?

She stayed silent. That was something she would not answer. And that irritated me.

"It won’t matter. Aren't I going to become you?" I growled, turning towards Midnight, unhappy about the things she was holding back.

In truth, I could not understand a damn thing she said. All of it seemed so surreal. Yet I, for the first time, did not feel like she was lying. In response to my sudden burst of hostility, she grabbed onto my chin, tugging me up to her face. There was no emotion in it.

I already knew she was no benevolent goddess. She was selfish like me, yet at the same time she… And after filling me in parts of my past, it seemed there was much more to it. Right now, though, all she cared about was playing the cards to her liking for a purpose, without a care of who would get discarded because of it.

Well, as long as I would be alive by the end. I was the only piece on her board that mattered to her.

"Sadly, Fen... Rem, you won’t become me. You’ll only gain a fraction of what I am, just as I’m a fraction of what I was. You’ll only be able to guide the lost souls into their next lives and you’ll learn to wield my flames of rebirth to send off the lost gods too.” She answered.

“It’s a win for you this exchange, while I..." she smirked with a sorrowful expression in her eyes.

I could not help but worry about what she was hiding from me. This goddess was playing me to her tune, and there was little I could do about it. Refusing her, though, would lead the world into damnation. Something that could never happen. Well, now that Vera was going to have two beautiful boys.

The story of the past moved me. And Midnight was offering me a good deal in this. With her power, I could fight the dead gods. But part of me wondered at what the cost was. That was what worried me. She knew something, but it seemed she would not let me know anything else.

"So, I’ll be like the grim reaper?" I continued to dig for more.

A reaper of souls of the gods, that did not sound bad. Midnight held me in place before leaning closer. Our lips were almost touching. I wanted nothing more than to get away from her, but her grip was stronger than mine.

 If she did anything, I would have to wash it off with Alijah later. There was no backing down anymore, either.

Sorry, my love. I don’t want to be kissed by anyone but you.

"No, you’ll guide the lost souls to their new lives. You and those that descend from you, Fenrir, will also have that role. If it gets there, that is. It’s a pity you and Valdios never had children before, but I guess this way we’ll make it between the three of us." Midnight chuckled.

I could not help but bite my lip since I knew, or at least that would not play to her tune. Unless...

"I’m sorry to disappoint, but I think I’m sterile," I smirked.

Midnight seemed to shake her head, placing her forehead against mine. One of her hands traveled to my cheek as the other grabbed me by the back of my head.

"If that’s what you think, my love." She giggled.

It left me dumbfounded. Though she would not let me linger there for long, smirking before kissing my lips. She licked them lovingly while I held them shut. It felt utterly disgusting, just as when that warlock had done it.

Alijah was the only one who could ever make me feel alive with his touch. Pulling away, Midnight clicked her tongue, displeased by my reaction, gazing away from me.

"It seems no matter what I do, your heart will always be shut closed for me. Though it’s better that way. After all, you’ll be a normal mortal now. There has never been a good ending for a god-loving one." Midnight frowned, stepping a few steps away from me.

I wiped my mouth to get rid of her lingering touch, but it seemed to be stuck on me. One of those memories that would be engraved in my mind. Like the first time, she kissed me back at the stadium. I was wrong to say it felt like when Cain kissed me, but it was not like Alijah's at all.

"Mortal? Don't you mean immortal?" I grumbled, a bit disturbed by her advances.

She stopped in her tracks, turning back to me. Her dead smile sent shivers down my spine.

"No... this will be the last time you’ll ever revive. It was I, bringing you back each time. Once you consume me into yourself, that will be the end of that. Though, you’ll still have a job to do.” She informed, taking a step towards me.

“I am sure that wolf will allow no one to hurt you. Valdios will die first, before you ever do. That is his personality. It always has been…" Midnight frowned.

I glowered at her. Even though she had helped me all this time, for some reason, this time... I got a bad feeling each time she spoke. I had to keep up and not let her play with me as she wanted. It also seemed my return from death was ending, too.

This would be the last time I play with the sweet embrace, which was something I looked forward to. I hated the feeling it left me every time I died. Either way, losing that safety net would not stop me. Though I had to get ahead of this somehow.

Vera... I’ll try to be a little like you, after all.

Information was the most important component when in war.

Is that not right, sister?

Though usually, I loved to just jump headfirst. Here, I was alone.

Concentrate…

"A role to save the dead gods. I know that, yet I have been wondering about that too. Does that mean I’ll also give new magics to the mortal realm because of it?" I asked, remembering Vera mentioning it once.

In response, Midnight smirked almost immediately after.

Shit... seems this will just complicate things. Will my brain keep up?

"Yes, you will, in some ways." Midnight answered straightforwardly while remaining vague at the same time.

"You won't tell me how?" I clenched my fist, knowing that keeping the world safe was never what I wanted to do.

 It was something that was surely and steadily being pushed into me. I would have to figure out a way to get the hang of this while being able to predict what was happening. Though... I doubt there was any way to do so. Everything was going like Midnight had desired that much, I could tell.

Edna's attempts to kill me and everything else were probably in response to this goddess that was playing in the shadows like her. Just what was the book? There was so much this goddess was not telling me. And I… had no hopes of understanding her.

"Sadly, my vows keep me silent. You’ll have to live that yourself, my dear Fenrir. And the power that you’ll gain is the only way to keep the gods you call shadow beast at bay. After all, you left your power behind in the celestials plains.” She sighed, shaking her head.

“Not that your mortal body would have handled it. The witch will keep you busy now that she has part of the gate, thanks to what she stole from your mother's soul. She’ll probably bind it to the world itself, making it fluctuate open from time to time as it does now.” She took a deep breath before readjusting herself.

“That would allow my brethren to come into this world permanently, though. No timer on them. This is something we need to avoid at all costs. Though I am speculating." Midnight let something slip by.

Though I doubted it had to do with anything of what she was planning. It was probably information that I needed to know most. She was a clever bird.

"And chaos breeds into the world because of it," I growled.

She smirked, scoffing soon after.

"Yeah, more chaos, which will also breed more order. That’s how life usually goes, but the book will..." she waved her hand around almost as if it meant nothing to her, but it surely would place my family's lives in danger.

It made me realize something I probably should have known since long before.

"Midnight, were you truly against the book of life? Or was it because of..." I questioned her motives.

She spun around, gazing up towards the sky of the fake forest we were in. Blue flames sprouted around us before some of them slowly became purple.

"I was never against or for it. The book was a being that needed to be stopped. Especially after hurting my Fenrir. I also wanted the loss of life to stop. It was sad to see my kind at each other's throats while you laid broken after losing Valdios.” She informed.

“Sadly, even with my power, the book outplayed me in every turn I took. You see, I can’t see its influence well. Though... it makes me wonder if the soul of the book wants this too. Hmm... how will it try to change this time? Or is it the witch?” She chattered, shaking her head.

“Ah... it’s too late either way anymore. Anything that will happen will occur unless a god prevents it." Midnight confessed, shrugging.

I sighed.

This goddess was so hard to read, though she knew more than she wanted me to know. All in her efforts to protect time, just like when she kept Alijah in the dark about our dreams. Was that why I felt so off when I looked at her? If what she said was to be believed, then this would be the last time we saw each other, yet I...

Why did I feel so sad? Was it because she saved me? Or... because the part of me that was Fenrir felt for his old friend. A friend that adored him to the point of saving his life and even dying for him.

The gods... loved weirdly.

"I see," I mumbled, getting off the chair, unable to stay still any longer.

I did not know how to feel about the woman that stood in front of me.

"Rem... Even though the only reason I first approached you was that you are indeed Fenrir, my past love. I could not help but fall for you yet again. Everything I did was to make sure you lived a happy life when the odds were stacked against you.” She sighed.

“The book of life or whoever was using it was trying to stop you from finding Valdios, Alijah. They needed him for something. Though I can’t see what it was. The book protects the witch from my vision.” She shrugged, gazing at the flames.

Her eyes narrowed.

“You know what? None of that matters. Know that I loved you." Midnight's voice cracked again.

I tried to shake off the feeling that was swelling within me. This goddess, no matter what her plans were. Or what she might hide, in the end, was not malevolent or benevolent. She was just Midnight, a goddess, trying to save the man she once loved.

"I can’t respond to your feelings. You know my heart is already claimed for now and forever. It’s unbelievable how gods have a weird way of showing their love." I sighed.

She chuckled because of it, bolting towards me. Jumping, she tackled me onto the ground below. The moment we hit the floor, the scenery changed once again. I found myself underneath a cherry blossom tree.

Even though I wanted her to spill everything to me, shoving her away from me would have probably been the biggest mistake I ever made.  If she was... Her death was my fault... well past self's fault.

I am sorry... Midnight.

"Oh, that’s funny because, my dear. I’ll always be with you from now until the end of time. You and I will breed a future in this world. One that has never been seen. And hopefully... the book will... play along too." Midnight traced my lips with her fingertips.

I braced for a second kiss, but luckily, it never came. Instead, she gazed at me, simpering at me. Her eyes... were...

Shit!

I had to stay strong.

"You know... I wouldn’t care about what you are planning if it didn’t affect my family. But I think it will. And I just know there’s something you aren’t telling me." I hoped she would give in to me, but she was never going to.

No, her plans were bigger than her emotions for me, a simple mortal, as she called me.

"Oh well, it won’t matter. Now that the book..." Midnight stopped for a moment, shaking her head.

"What will happen will happen no matter what you want or who says otherwise. Destiny has its way of finding you. I destined those boys to..." Midnight stopped, biting her lip before caressing my cheek lovingly.

It was like that was the only hint she would give me, though it was so quick that I almost missed it.

"What?" I mumbled, unable to understand what she was talking about.

What boys? Wait... No... Midnight can’t mean... Vera's boys?

The moment that thought left my mind, the goddess narrowed her eyes, leaning into my ear.

"You know that eternal witch, although a pain, she is also right in what she wants. Everyone is the hero of their story. Have you ever wondered what hers is? Why is she trying too hard to get what she wants no matter the cost?”

“I did what I needed for my ending, but that woman... is far stronger than any god in her will. But I fear... she will destroy this world. What I glimpsed when we broke your link to her... I was wrong. Perhaps all of this is wrong." Midnight sighed.

I growled because of it. No matter what Edna was trying to accomplish, there was no way it made the manner of her actions just. This goddess's words confused me.

"Some sacrifices are too much, though. There is no way I will allow her to destroy this world." I tried to argue.

Midnight did not like that because the moment those words left my mouth, she held my neck in her hands because of it.

"Hah! You aren’t one to talk. What is too much when you are doing it for the one you love the most?" She suddenly chided.

I could not follow along. It was hard to understand the other side, but I... Midnight would not allow me to feign ignorance.

"You, who in this life, killed many to save Alijah. Tell me, Rem, by knowing just that. What makes you any different from Edna?" the goddess countered me.

I could not answer her at all. She was right. I...

"You’re quick to judge, but everyone is like her deep down. Look at me and the past you. That woman was driven to a corner and lashed out at the world because of it." Midnight continued.

I remained silent. It was true; I did not differ from Edna. Even if I were being possessed by Midnight and the curse, it still would not have changed the fact that I would have done it either way. If it meant saving Alijah, their deaths were nothing but collaterals. Something that should have made me feel ashamed, but I... I... was not. After all, my past self flourished in wars and conflict.

"Rem, I don’t know the witch's life fully. The book protects her from me, but sometimes it’s nice to see it from the other side. Plus, the reason she’s doing this is understandable. After all, you mortals would do anything to protect the ones you love.” She huffed.

The scenery once again was changing.

“Especially your children, blood-related or not." Midnight declared.

All the flames that surrounded us turned purple.

"Our time is over. Live well, Fenrir, my love. I hope you won’t break. No matter what happens. The future will need you. And... use my flames well..." Midnight whispered.

The flames soon consumed us. It should have been hot, excruciating, but it was not. The flames were warm and tender. The same feeling that Alijah left on me. She really was...

‘I’m sorry that I couldn’t fully foresee the pain from our past lives. I can only clearly see those of mortals. And I’m sorry for not warning you about what will happen in this life. Truly, I’m sorry… but this was the only way for you and this world to live.’ Her voice seemed to get weaker with every passing second.

‘Valdios… I leave you, Fenrir… Protect him for me. Forever like you promised me before you died. I’ll hold you to it until the end of time! My greatest rival.’ were the last words of the goddess before everything went dark once again.

Midnight never intended to consume me from the moment she declared it so. All she wanted was for me to accept her as part of me. Even though I was just a luma. I was the luma who held the soul of a god that won the heart of the god of destruction and the goddess of rebirth.

If... Fenrir could do it, then... Perhaps... I could too. But... I did not know that my life would be shaken because of these events. Soon I would lose another part of myself. Something that seemed always to be constant would soon shatter.

By the end of it all, it left me with a simple wish.

A wish to have done things a bit differently. Perhaps then... I would not have lost...

1