Chapter 29: Flames of Rebirth…
58 7 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Caden handed me the sword before he and Alijah stepped out. They were angsty to meet the shadow beast that was coming out of the portal in our rose garden. It would be the first time that I ever held this blade in my hands. Even though I had been training for months for this moment, I felt scared.

Almost an entire year... and now that the moment came, I could not help but tremble in my shoes. The nerves were overwhelming, especially when Vera's screams filled my ears. There was no reason to hold back. Well, if... my powers were active. But the entire time since the red moon, I failed to do anything meaningful.

At least I got better at my sword handling. However, I could not run away from this responsibility with my sister in labor right behind me. It was the perfect urgency to get me moving, even though I was terrified and hesitant.

After all, Alijah, Caden, and I were the only ones that could take on the dragon that was spawning in front of our eyes. Mom had to tend to Vera. My wolf helped me out of the room, through the window he had opened, only to notice how terrified I truly was.

While the dragon was coming out, there was no way for us to attack it without being sucked into the soul cairn. Something that needed to be avoided. Both Mom and Vera could not retrieve us right away. And if somehow I fell in, it could have ended disastrously.

Probably.

Alijah, in response to my terror, pulled me into his arms, kissing me on my forehead. My brother grabbed onto my shoulder.

"We’re here with you. And we won’t let anything happen to you." Alijah and Caden both assured me.

But it was like it landed on deaf ears. My body shuddered in anticipation of what was coming. I even wanted to freeze right where I stood. Vera's screeches of pain urged me forward. Before I knew it, there were other Lycans around us.

The Silver Fang manor always had the protection of faithful Lycans, who defended their alpha's family. That included even me being a useless hybrid. I still carried silver blood. They were all willing to die for us, and that was something I could use to my advantage.

If their efforts would buy me the time I needed to release the spark, then I had to use it. Alijah once told me.

“In war, the only goal was to get the victory at all cost.”

It only took a few more seconds for the beast to push its way through. Once free, it revealed an overgrown lizard with mighty wings that flapped. It tried to raise itself in the air. In a split second, everything changed the moment Alijah yanked me to the side. The demon released a mighty fiery breath at us.

Luckily, it was repelled from the manor by a barrier Shade cast to protect everyone inside. The time for doubt passed when I landed on the roof of a neighboring home, along with Alijah. I knew he could not afford to babysit me with the beast that was on us.

I probably should have stayed inside if I would be this useless, but if Edna sent this demon. The only one who could have sent it back was me. With Vera and Mom busy, I had no choice. And this beast would have no timer to rely on.

Why now out of all times? Ah... It must be because of Vera's labor.

A weak point in our offense, even though I was more useless than anything else. Even in the face of danger, my powers eluded me. Alijah could not do much while protecting me. While I, with my newfound mortality, found myself unable to do much. Well, other than dodging the attacks with the help of Alijah.

Houses burned down, triggering screams to fill the air, drowning my sister's. Swallowing my nerves, I waited for a moment that would allow me to draw my sword out of its leather sheath. Dad custom-made it for me.

Sadly, it seemed like my ass had a beautiful target that the lizard was trying to hit. Even though Alijah was dodging each attack, having to pick me up every time to do so was a hassle. One that he would never complain about. But I knew caring for me was holding him back.

Noticing this, I yanked myself away from him, only to realize what a mistake that was. In an instant, the dragon's tail blew me away. I felt some of my ribs crack because of it. Somehow, it had dug one of its tails into the ground. It separated Alijah and me in the house's rubble.

I found myself buried under it. Luckily, it did not crush me, though scratches and cuts plagued my entire body. My ribs that had suffered the consequence of my actions also cracked with each slight movement. At least it was easy to breathe, meaning I did not puncture my lungs.

I could hear Alijah scream my name, as the dragon did not let him come towards me to free me from my peril. The blade that had been in my hands just moments ago had been buried along with me. It had fallen out of my hands.

A curse left my lips since my stupid inexperience got me into this place once again. I should have never pulled away from Alijah, but at least I did not have any broken limbs, which would have made everything more difficult. Suddenly my tail burned almost as if it was on fire, triggering me to grab onto it.

There I noticed through the small light that shined through the cracks of the debris. My tail was pitch black.

Did it get crushed earlier? No... It isn’t necrotic... It would have been too early.

Alijah told me that Midnight marked him with weird markings on his arm once when I was unconscious. Ruzgard had bitten me there.

Shit, did he do this to me?

Before I knew it, my body shone brightly as a warm purple light consumed me. I found myself in a space I did not recognize.

"You’re so useless without me." Vera huffed, standing in front of me.

What the fuck?

I gazed at her, utterly confused by everything that had been happening. Just how was she here with me? I was pinned, but now I was not.

How? Just...

"What? How? You’re giving birth to your babies! How are you here?" I yelped, unable to register.

In my shock, I neglected to realize what was happening to my chest. My birthmark was glowing, but it did not hurt.

"I can multitask unlike you. Dear baby sister." Vera smirked, fixing her hair, walking closer to me, who still sat on my bum.

"Hey, I’m trying my best, but I can't do anything right!" I growled, not liking her tone.

She simpered, chuckling at my slight complaint before narrowing her eyes, gazing towards the side.

"Yeah, about that. I sealed your powers the night of the blood moon.” She started, shocking me to my core.

Before I could snap out, I remembered the snap I felt during the moon.

That was her?!?

“I’m sorry. I’ll undo that now, though. Along with other things..." Vera announced quickly, causing something inside of me to snap.

"What?! Why?!?!" I screamed, getting up from where I was only to flinch in pain from my broken ribs.

How could she do that to me?

She knew how hard I was trying. This entire time... I was struggling, unable to do anything about it. And she knew why.

"Because I couldn’t let you see, Rem. With Midna's power, you would have seen everything. So, I used the link she made between us against her." Vera sighed.

I tried to clasp onto her shoulders, only to phase through them. She was not here with me, but again, where the fuck were we? It was almost the same as when Midnight stopped time when she antagonized Alijah with me, but it was also different. I could see nothing of the building that tried to crush me.

"Vera… what was it you didn’t want me to see!?" I demanded to know, gazing at my hands that phased through her, unable to understand what was going on.

How could she do that to me? She knew I was struggling...

"That can wait. Let’s first take care of that ancient, ranked shadow demon that spawned on us." Vera pointed towards the dragon.

The surrounding light dimmed, allowing me to notice I was standing free of the debris that had fallen on me.

"Vera," I called out to her.

She smiled bitterly upon hearing me.

What... was that... were there tears in her eyes?

"I’ll guide you through everything you need to know. You’ll feel strange with everything opening up at once. Plus... I have something I have to give you too." She informed.

I shook my head because of it. My heart sunk... Something was...

"What’s happening?" I repeated, dread surging within me.

In response to my question, she closed her eyes.

"My wish will come true. That’s all that matters, my loving sister." Vera smiled gently.

I suddenly found myself with the weapon I had lost when I fell.

How did it even... No...

She was trying to distract me.

"Wish? What wish?" I took a couple of steps back.

Vera suddenly closed the small gap between us. Time remained frozen around us. It was almost as if we had taken hold of the battlefield. For how long it was yet to be seen.

"Shift," Vera ordered coldly.

I glared at her because of it. There was no way she would make me. Every fiber within me told me not to...

"No!" I growled loudly.

She smirked at the challenge. Vera never lost. In the end, she always got what she wanted from me.

"It’s funny you think you have a choice. But you have no choice, sis. This is beyond your power!" Vera declared, snapping her fingers.

A pulse of pain rushed through me, causing me to fall to my knees.

What... What was happening?

My entire body felt like I was on fire. Blood boiled as my body shifted against my will. My cracked ribs relined themselves, triggering me to screech in pain from the sudden change. I had felt nothing like it.

The beast was trying to claw it’s to me. I felt my consciousness wane a bit.

"Ruzgard, are you ready?" Vera suddenly asked.

I panted for air desperately after having shifted into a form I was not used to. But somehow, I was conscious. I could feel the beast, but something was holding it back. The sword that was on my hand was now strapped around my neck and shoulder.

My hearing suddenly became better, along with my smell. My arms and legs had turned into ones of a canine. I felt nimbler than ever before. The sensation of my paws on the floor made me feel somewhat different, too. Everything… even the colors I saw were different.

Is this what a wolf feels? I’m a wolf?! God fucking damn it! This isn’t how I wanted this to be!

However, none of these new sensations pleased me. All I could feel was my anger boiling hotter than ever before. I let out a nasty snarl towards Vera, who disappeared into me soon after.

"Yes, the merge is complete," Ruzgard announced from within me.

Vera's voice got weaker because of it.

"Good, take good care of her." She whispered, triggering me to feel off.

All of a sudden, flames engulfed my legs, too. Everything was coming back to me. However, I knew…

Why... did she sound so sad?

Unable to figure out what was happening, I clenched my teeth. Staying here would help no one. Before I knew it, I propelled my body out of where I was. It ended with me tumbling onto the floor outside, unable to get used to my new predicament.

I was running on four rather than my usual two. Everything was so disorientating too. The sensations, the smells, everything… Once out of the space, instantly, I was picked up by Caden, who was near me.

My brother had saved me from the dragon's tail, who slammed right where I was at. Alijah tried to grab the oversized lizard's attention away from me. I felt like a pup being carried by Caden, who was a bigger size than I was. Compared to him, I probably seemed like a normal dog.

Before I knew it, he threw me towards the side when another cat-like shadow beast came at him.

'Rem... will you continue to be saved, or will you save someone for once?' Vera antagonized me.

I snapped because of it.

Fuck you, Vera! Wait until I get my hands on you later!

‘Can’t wait for it.’

Suddenly, in a split second, I got my footing only to slam myself into the beast that pinned Caden. Sinking my teeth into its flesh, it triggered flames to burst out of me. The moment they did, the beast turned into nothing.

I shifted soon after into my humanoid form, drawing the blade that was now on my hilt. Ruzgard appeared next to me, staring down at the dragon in front of us. He and I were almost as if we were of a single mind.

Before I knew it, scales were lifting off the dragon’s hide, making it hard for anyone to get close to its body. If I had been alone, it probably would have been impossible, but I was not. Alijah instantly cleared a path towards me, allowing me to shift again.

In that instant, Ruzgard merged into me once again. It was because of him I was in control instead of the beast that was within me. I grabbed the sword in my mouth, bolting towards the open window Alijah made for me.

Though his intention was not for me to jump towards the dragon. Once on its body, I shifted back into my humanoid form. Its head turned to me, only for its flames to be met by a barrier that surrounded me. It was Vera's magic merging with my own.

She fused her power with mine, and the red moon's power that was surging through me. Something was changing within me. Vera... was always my other half. Ruzgard was again next to me. Though he ran around, making a vortex that was repelling the scales that threatened to hurt me.

 Unlike the lesser shadow beast that must have come through when this dragon did, it did not disappear under my touch alone. And it was far too big to bite into. Grabbing the sword from my mouth, I plunged it into its back when it tried to take off into the sky.

That was when Alijah and Caden went for its wings before being blown off along with me. Ruzgard caught me before I hit the ground. Instead of staying still, I used him to launch myself towards the dragon.

My hands grew warmer, engulfed in purple flames that surrounded most of the battlefield, too. Practically everywhere I stepped, I left traces behind. In midair, I slashed through one wing before using it to launch myself towards its face. Sadly, I missed it by a couple of centimeters.

The other thing I met, though, was its other wing that slammed into me, knocking the very air out of me. Luckily, Ruzgard cast a barrier without me having to think of it. Or was it Vera protecting me? Either way, it was one of my sister's perks that still surge within me.

The ability to cast a spell without having to chant, though the sacrifices were still needed. In this case, any of the blood that dripped out of my cuts would do. Though my magic was nowhere as strong as hers. It shattered upon contact, launching me into the air along with Ruzgard.

I probably fractured a couple of bones. Luckily, Alijah snatched me before the head of the dragon tried to swallow me into itself. The adrenaline was keeping me from feeling the pain, but the moment I was in Alijah's arms. I felt somewhat at ease.

Once we were on the ground, I could not help myself but kiss him. Instinctively let me in me, triggering his marked eye shine purple. The rest of his body gave off a red hue. Instinct guided me, as I did not know what I was doing, but it felt like it rejuvenated my body somewhat.

Though the kiss alone was enough to keep me in high spirits. Perhaps my bond did more than link our powers together. His hands locked my head in place when his tongue caressed mine. At that moment, the dragon screeched in pain because of its missing wing.

Alijah was feeling as empowered as I did. My wounds healed as fast as he did. We needed no words to express how we felt about one another. The kiss alone was enough. And in his eyes, I had become everything he knew I would be.

"It’s coming!" Ruzgard warned.

I yanked myself away from Alijah, who was also ready for more. Nothing turned on my wolf more than a good fight. The dragon's wing slowly regenerated, too. In retaliation, it breathed fire towards us only for Alijah to squash it down with a single swipe of his hand. Together… we were unstoppable.

I used the opportunity to launch myself at it directly when Caden slammed into its head, allowing me the chance to slash right through its neck. This stopped its fires for the time being. Shifting once again, I ran towards its back, knowing the dragon underneath was not dead yet.

These things were immortal, thus never truly died. They were souls of dead gods that would regenerate with time. Even so... They had a core. With Lesser souls, I could easily see them. I had with the cat that had attacked my brother. But for these high-ranking ones, they were harder to spot. I had gone for it last time on instinct, but missed it slightly.

On my first stab at the dragon, I had been close, so very close, but I had forgotten to send my flames in. Then again, I did not know what I was doing even now. I ran on instinct than anything else for using my power. Then again, all Lycans were like that.

Vera's soft words played on my head like a guide on what to do, too. How she figured everything out was beyond me, but as the fight went on. Her words became more like whispers I could barely hear anymore.

My world spun when I stabbed the sword with all my might into its back, before suddenly erupting into flames. The body soon dissipated. However, even though I already felt sick, I could not slow down. There were still lesser shadow demons roaming around us.

I could not count the number of bodies on the floor, either. Trying to keep me on track, I ignored the bodies, chasing after the remaining ones that were nearby. By the time I was done, I tumbled into Alijah's arms. Somehow, we were victorious.

My wolf held me up with the biggest grin on his face. Heavy pants left me and him when Caden grabbed me by the back of my shoulder in a reassuring gesture. At least I had worn the right clothes today, enchanted and what not.

"We got them all, good job sis," Caden smirked, proud of the victory, but all I could see was the blood from all our fallen, who fought with us before I got hold of my power.

I felt something that I thought I would never feel.

Is this guilt? Had Vera's seal also held that back? How did she even seal my power to begin with? Is it something that has to do with the bond Midnight created? Or something else entirely?

It did not matter. I felt responsible for all these people. My failure… had…

"How many are dead?" I mumbled on Alijah's chest, trying to get a hang of this new feeling that was surging within me.

Along with the guilt and surging responsibility, I felt extremely queasy. Something I would have to work past. I could not allow this blowback to hold me back. Ruzgard was still with me for some reason too, and my tail was blacker than the familiar himself. It left an eerie feeling within me.

"I don’t know. I think they’re still fighting in the city itself. There’s a beast there, lower ranked than the ones that appeared here, though. So, I think Dad and Aiden have a hang that." Caden informed.

It seemed while I was under the building, some scouts had come to us. Alijah pulled me up by my chin, only to raise his eyebrows the moment he spotted a change in me. Ignorant of that shift, though, I pulled away from him, aiming to head towards the city to help my brother and father.

If I could stop more bloodshed, then I needed to go. To atone for everyone… I could not let this feeling crush me, but for the first time, I felt like I could see the ghost of the past. Where once I felt nothing about collateral, now I felt something.

Especially when I killed all those people back at the raider camp. Children were among them, too. I had to atone.

"Then... I’ll..." I began, still feeling sluggish, only for Alijah to interrupt me by grabbing me by my arm, yanking me back.

"You can’t, Rem," Alijah warned that my condition would not allow me to continue.

The moment he pulled me back onto him, I noticed something weird coming from the manor. It erased everything I was feeling. That was where Vera and everyone else... It was dark and murky. Eerie too.

Why does my core shake the moment I lay eyes on it?

"What’s that?" I mumbled, unable to explain the eerie scene that was playing out in front of me.

Caden and Alijah both gazed towards the manor, unaware of what was happening.

"I see nothing, sis, but Alijah is..." Caden tried to dismiss my worries.

Unlike him, Alijah saw it, too. I pushed myself free of my wolf, bolting towards the manor. There I heard weeping coming from inside the moment I got close enough. Grabbing onto the windowsill, a voice played in my head.

'You should stop.' Vera warned.

I denied her, launching myself into the room. Mom was sobbing, holding Vera's hand tenderly. A dark smoke left my sister's body. I could only mouth her name in shock at what I was witnessing.

Why is Mom crying like that?

'That’s what I didn’t want you to see.' Vera whispered to what felt like my ears, but she was not next to me.

She was laying in front of me in this pool of what seemed to be pure darkness.

I… my heart…

"What is this?" I questioned.

Mom turned to me upon noticing me there. Her expression shattered me. My legs gave out right where I stood. Even though she had not said a word to explain what was going on, I knew what she wanted to say.

In the room next to us, I could hear the cries of the twins that had been born today. It was almost as if time stopped once again when I stared at something I never wanted to see.

'With your enhanced spiritual powers that come from that goddess, you would have been able to see I was marked for death since the blood moon.' Vera informed.

I suddenly found myself in that same space from before.

"What do you mean death?!?!" I demanded to know everything.

Though... I should have pushed her the moment I realized there was something wrong. This was all on me. I... It was too late. I failed.

"I’m giving my life for a couple of things that I needed to be assured of." Vera dismissed as if she were going shopping for something.

I grabbed onto my face, trying to hold back the tears that poured out of me. Everything that wanted to leave me. I wanted to scream at her so hard and loud so she would hear me, but all of it was useless.

The expression on her body's face was one of peace. All while I felt nothing but turmoil because of it.

Why... is this happening? Am I being punished?!

"I... You aren’t making any sense!" I snarled.

My legs refused to move from where I was. Instead, Vera hugged me from behind, giggling into my ear.

"Well... I got rid of your curse, for one. With that alone, all of this was a win." She seemed pleased.

I felt nothing but horror upon hearing it. This was not what I wanted. These feelings were useless if she was gone! I did not need to be like this if it meant losing her!

"N-no! I-I did n-not ask you for that!" I sobbed, unable to help myself, trying to fight the knot that had formed in my throat.

What is this feeling?

It was worse than when Midnight left me. Utter emptiness. One that would never be filled.

Why... am I remembering all the times she came into my room, wanting to sleep off her nightmares with me? Why am I... useless to protect her?

"I didn’t ask you to save me from that curse that was supposed to kill me either, you know. You’re so selfless, yet broken, because of what you did!" Vera pointed out, holding me tighter.

She knew everything that was crossing my head. I should have never left her.

"I didn’t know what I was doing in the first place!" I cried, unable to keep up anymore, not that I ever did.

She was always playing ahead, but this time it was too much. She was going to a place I could never reach. A place I could never save her from.

"You still saved me, and I’m returning the favor. With this, you can call us even. Plus... I had to return to you something that you gave me when you saved me that day.” She started, leaving me utterly confused.

“With this Fenrir's soul within, you will be completed. Midnight was wrong when she said Edna had your soul. Or possibly she knew I had it and did not say it to prevent this from happening.” She continued, triggering me to reach for the hands that held me.

No… No!

“But it has to happen because the future needs you in your full power. And your full self. Care about others, even when you’re hurt by them." Vera smiled.

“You’ll be completed, in heart and soul. Finally, you’ll feel the empathy that you lack for others. All your connections will be there. And you’ll need them. I know how stubborn you are.” She reassured, holding me tightly.

I stopped before touching her. It felt like if I did, she would be gone. Instead, I shook my head, unable to stop the tears that were dripping from my eyes. This was not fair!

Why do this alone!? Why does it have to be my sister?!?

"I don’t know what you are speaking about! I don’t need to be completed! You complete me already! Vera, please!" I screamed foul play on her end.

She chuckled because of it, tracing her fingertips down my cheeks.

"You know, it felt amazing to ride with you. To feel the shift. To kiss that wolf the way you do. I guess now I know why I had feelings for him. It really wasn’t fair to Leonard. No matter how hard I tried to shake them off, they came from you." Vera recalled.

I snapped.

"You can kiss him all you want. Just stay with me! Please!" I cried, turning to her.

She gently pressed her forehead on mine.

"Loki, the vampire that will the world by storm, and his brother Oswald, the strongest warlock that ever walked the earth. You’ll have your hands full with them, Rem. Protect them for me, please." Vera ignored what I said.

I shook my head, wanting to never let her go. We were supposed to be together. We were each other's halves.

Why... Why... Ah... Shit! Don’t leave me!

"No... No! You have to undo what you did. I don’t need this! All I need you!" I sobbed, noticing tears became visible in her cheeks as well.

She was trying to play it tough, but I knew how terrifying death was. How lonely it felt and how cold its grip was. It was something I never wanted her to feel. Something that I would never allow to taint her soul, yet I... failed her.

"No, I didn’t do this alone for you. I also did this for them. Especially you, the one who will give everything for my two boys." Vera simpered, letting me go, walking in front of me.

I slammed my fist into the floor.

"Stop it! This isn’t funny. You can’t leave me, Vera!" I begged her to stop what she was doing.

She clasped her hands behind herself, staring forward into the unknown.

"With this, you’ll be able to stabilize your magic, too. I merged the part of Fenrir's soul that was within me and connected Ruzgard to it. We really were each other's halves.” She sighed, not moving from where she was.

“Ruzgard will also live with you now. I never wanted him to come with me. And if he’s with you, then he can watch my babies grow." She continued.

I denied that faster than my mind could articulate thoughts.

"N-no... I, t-this c-can’t be happening." I muttered, shaking my head, trying to think of anything that would change this.

"M-my f-flames... They should be able to s-save you!" I tried to come up with any solution.

A solution that was way out of my reach, but even so, I would try to save her. However, the moment Vera turned back towards me, I saw something weird on her face.

What the fuck?! My eyes... Does she have my eyes?! What is she...? By the gods... No... She… Everything is… fucked!

This was a gift I could not accept at all. One that she had to take back. This had to be undone.

"No, your flames can’t save me." Vera smiled happily to see how much I adored her.

It was obvious how much she was loved by me and how much I wanted her to stay with me. Was she glad the last person seeing her off was me? That question would plague me until the end of time.

"Why?!?" My voice broke.

I could not hold my composure any longer, weeping like a child in front of Vera.

She clasped her hands onto her shirt, staring at my ugliest expression to date. Yet she smiled ever so gently and full of love.

"Because I’m already gone, my beloved sister." Vera smiled, tears running down her cheeks.

Instinctively, I reached for her, only to watch my flames consuming her. Before I knew it, she scattered into a million pieces. I screamed, unable to control myself. This pain… was…

'Tell them I was happy and with no regrets. Especially Leonard, who is crying next door to his kids. Tell him... I loved him. And that I’m sorry, I couldn’t be with him at the end.' Vera's voice disappeared.

Alijah's arms engulfed me a second later. I could not compose myself after hearing her last words. Caden dropped onto his knees the moment that he saw Vera's lifeless body in front of him, too.

"No... this can’t be happening." My distressed brother mumbled before screaming at the top of his lungs, too.

Though no one screamed louder than me. I think I lost my voice at one point. Thankfully, Alijah did not let me go at all. Though when I glanced up once, I saw tears falling down his cheeks too. His expression was one of pure sorrow. I mumbled his name, only to trigger him to hold on to me tighter.

"I know." Alijah cried, holding onto me.

The way he held me was so protective that I could barely move because of it. By the time Dad and Aiden came home, I had stopped screaming only to hear theirs. Dad had an expression I had never seen before, but it probably was the same as mine was a few moments ago.

One of pure hatred and anger. Mom was inconsolable in my dad's arms when I stood up, pulling away from Alijah, who followed me soon after. I almost felt like a corpse when I walked towards the hall where Leonard was.

I... had to tell him what Vera...

"Where are you going?" Aiden questioned, grabbing onto my hand, crying his eyes out as well.

However, the moment I glanced at him, he instantly let me go. I did not know if it was my expression or something else, but his eyes widened in surprise.

"There’s nothing for me in this room. Vera... is gone." I announced, voice devoid of emotions.

Aiden's hands trembled because of it. Walking out of the room, I found myself faced with a décor mirror that had been on the wall for years now. It used to be something pretty to me. It had flowers I had never seen before, but...

The reflection that was staring back at me was one I was not ready for. My eyes had turned into hers, pure purple. Unable to process it, I slammed my fist into the wall next to me. It caused a crack on it as my power had become exponentially stronger thanks to my sister's sacrifice.

My action startled everyone inside Alijah stood behind me, unwavering. No one said a word to me. I shook the emotion that was swelling within me, heading towards where the cries of two newly born babies were coming from.

Leonard sat next to his babes, tears streaming down his cheeks. Aunty Amelia tried to soothe the babies, visibly upset too.

"Leonard..." I mumbled, causing him softly to turn to me with the same expression.

One we all held. Sorrow, anger...

"With her last breath... Vera told me she loved me. A-and that these two were mine. Why... would she do that?" Leonard broke the moment he saw me.

I fell onto my knees in front of him, grabbing onto his hands. Noticing the mood in the room, Aunty left us, heading back to the rest of the family. Alijah came closer to the cribs of the babies. I told Leon what Vera had said to me.

I had seen a broken man before, but... her death utterly demolished him. After I stopped speaking, he chuckled nervously. Tears did not stop rolling down.

"You know... I’m a cruel man. I never cried like this for my fiancée. This means I’m a piece of shit, right? I should have done something sooner if I would have known our time was running out." Leon confessed, causing me to hug him, unable to stop my regrets from flowing outward.

"We all failed," I whispered, voice hoarse from all my previous crying.

However, weeping would do nothing for me anymore. Even so, the tears would not stop running down my cheeks from time to time. Slowly, I shifted my gaze to take a peek at Alijah, who was glancing at the babies in their crib that Vera and Leonard had built together a month ago.

It had been Leon’s idea, one that caused Vera to huff at him. I saw a small smile raise from his lips. I separated myself from Leonard, walking over towards the last living links I had to my sister.

Vera was right. Even though they were somewhat bloody. This was normal, they were birthed not too long ago. They still seemed adorable. I would give anything for these two little ones. Even though they barely had any hair, I could see little white silverish strands come from both of them.

The only thing that seemed different was their little ears. One had slightly pointy ones, while the other had round buns for ears.

A vampire and human... Vera called them...

"Ah... You probably don’t know." Leon wiped his face, standing up from where he was.

I shook my head, knowing exactly what he was going to say.

"Their names? I know them. Vera... told me before..." I trailed off, closing my eyes.

I should have told her how nice their names were. Another chance missed.

"What?" Leon mumbled.

Alijah laid his head on my shoulder. He had never seen a baby up close. I reached up to his hair, playing with it slightly. Today was a day filled with sorrow, yet it also had joy. One Vera had left for us. Well, two.

"Loki... the little vamp that will take the world by storm. And Oswald, the little human that’ll probably go down in history as the strongest warlock ever to walk this earth. Much like his mother, who was the strongest witch. Though I think Oz is a better nickname, no?" I simpered at the babies, unable to help myself think they were adorable.

They were holding hands. Their bond... was as strong as ours. It made me wonder if Vera and I like that when we were born? I know Caden and Aiden were.

"Oz... Yes, that sounds right." Leonard whispered, grabbing onto the crib beside me.

I pondered a nickname for the other brother.

"Hm... Loki will just have to be left as is. No real nicknames are coming into mind for him. Though once I get to know him, I probably will give him one much as I did to Alijah-tan here." I mumbled, chuckling a bit.

Alijah grabbed me by my waist.

"Oi... I still dislike that. Though the little vampire's name is powerful enough as it is." He commented with a low growl.

I simpered at him. We were both bloody and sweaty too, yet I did not care. There was a light in this darkness that was filling up this day, and I was staring at them.

“Nicknames have nothing to do with power, Alijah-tan. “I chuckled a bit, feeling bitter inside before shifting my gaze towards the twins.

“Loki and Oswald Arzaqian, I swear to you I’ll hunt down the witch, who took Vera from us and end her right where she stands," I promised the two babies in front of me.

Leonard gazed at me, worried by what I said.

"Rem, you can’t possibly mean..." Leon began.

I turned to him slightly. There was no lack of determination within me anymore. That hag had to be stopped, no matter what reason she had.

"Edna... I’m going to find and kill her. She’s the reason Vera isn’t with us anymore." I declared.

 His eyes widened because of my words. What I was saying was something that our parents failed to do. Twenty-one years later and they were not any closer to finding the bitch that had been playing with us like we were pieces of chess.

But I would end that somehow... Someway. I had to. This could not fall on them. Midnight's words… were still present on my mind, too. I could not hesitate to kill her. Even with these new feelings surging within me.

Though, it would be easy. I hated her.

"If you think it’ll be that easy, you are mistaken." Ruzgard suddenly declared, causing all eyes to fixate on my tail, which was still pitch black in my eyes.

Though I was sure to everyone else other than Alijah, it seemed normal.

"Ruzgard... So, you’re still around." I mumbled, not taking my eyes off the babies.

I had almost forgotten the fact Vera bound him to me. Even though they were newborns, I could not help but want to see the moment their eyes opened naturally. I wondered if they would have Vera's or Leonard's eyes.

"Vera merged me with you when she..." Ruzgard reminded me, taking a physical appearance behind me.

"So... another part of her lives within me," I growled, feeling utterly empty inside even though I should have felt fulfilled.

After all, my sister had completed me, but I... did not want it.

"Why did this have to happen?" I snarled, startling the babies by accident.

It instantly made me regret raising my voice. Their cries filled the surrounding air, leaving me confused about how to help.

"I can’t answer that." Ruzgard sighed, glancing down onto the floor.

I had to get a better handle on the anger and despair that wanted to consume me. I did not want to cause stress for the babies. Instinctively, Leonard tried to soothe them. I tore my eyes from them and turned to Ruzgard, who hanged lower than anyone here.

He had been with Vera for most of her life. Of course, he was feeling it, too. His voice was shaking.

"Why?" I mumbled, trying to keep my discontent inside.

Letting it out would help no one, especially the babies.

"Because of Edna... she bound Vera's soul into silence and also did mine. I can’t say what happened between them, even though I want to without endangering your life. To think she could bend the soul of a god, too. That woman is more than a handful. Yet again… that book…" Ruzgard sighed, wincing annoyed.

I reached down to him, only for him to lay his head on my hand.

"How?" I whispered, feeling my energy drain from me.

His soft hair trailed on my fingertips. Everything was just... too much. This familiar was a reminder of what I had lost. Bound to me for life.

"Probably because of that book the witch has. I don’t understand how though. Vera... thought it was because of what Edna is, though. But it has to be the book. That thing is stronger than we think." Ruzgard added.

Sadly, I felt the same as when he started. Not a step closer to finding out what was going on.

"It was supposed to be a legend," Leonard muttered finally, settling the babies a bit.

I turned to him.

"Then again, they were haunted for a reason that was probably lost in time. Perhaps that legend is truer than what our old folks wanted it to be. If it’s the one I’m thinking about." Alijah commented to Leonard, causing my gaze to turn to him.

His eyes seemed just as tired as mine, yet I did not know what they were going on about. History was not my thing, but Vera's. And it seemed she had been sharing what she found with Leonard.

"What?" I mumbled, picking up Ruzgard in my arms.

He shrunk a few sizes to make it more comfortable for me. It almost made him seem like a plush toy. I had only seen him in this form a handful of times, too. Come to think of it, he only liked to be touched by Vera.

This was like Shade only enjoyed my mother's contact out of everyone else, but he was fine with me.

"Eternal witches are feared because of their time magic, but there was another reason too, or so they used to say. It’s why we can’t find her too. So everyone miraculously forgets about her, or better yet can’t speak about her. Fenris and I were hoping it wasn’t true though." Alijah shrugged a bit.

Ruzgard followed his lead.

"She can bind people. Close to what you did to Alijah. But I still think it comes from the book. Or perhaps it strengthens it?" Ruzgard added.

I shook my head. Then...

"But that would mean..." I trailed off.

Alijah pulled me into his arms, along with Ruzgard.

"Yes, she can control the souls of people, but not to your extent. Edna can only control those who enter a voluntary pact with her, or so it seems. Otherwise, I think we would be in a lot of trouble already. Especially if she wanted me from the start." Alijah assessed.

Ruzgard turned his head to face me.

"Vera did this because she wanted to. And she also wanted you to know that you, Rem, are part one too. In fact, Lilith's bloodline descends from an eternal witch. It was probably why Fenrir picked this family too." Ruzgard suddenly announced, stopping, flinching at something.

I gazed at him, confused.

"So, what? Am part eternal witch?" I mumbled, unable to follow well on what they were talking about.

"Yes, Vera suspected you all were. However, the ability to control time isn’t accessible to anyone but… you. Yet all you can do is free a moment in battle.” Ruzgard answered.

“Vera entered a voluntary pact with you too back then. One that you did not know about when you were younger. Then again, Vera always siphoned your magic to her will. This was thanks to the parts of Fenrir inside of her when your soul shattered the say you were born." He continued, chuckling a bit, remembering something.

"Before knowing what you were, Vera had concluded that was why Midnight chose you over her. Although powerful, Vera couldn’t control time nor touch people's souls like you. Fenrir awakened that part of your genes when he was reincarnated as you." He shook his head.

I realized something from the way he worded it. It was almost as if he was trying to hint something at me. But this was something I would I needed to figure out on my own because of the pact Vera had with Edna.

My sisters’ words played in my head repeatedly. Until I finally realized the true extent of what was going on.

Vera... you... couldn’t have. There is no way she would have... Just for what purpose??

"If... what you’re saying is true, then..." I began.

Ruzgard narrowed his eyes with a slight smirk on his lips, triggering me to shove him into Alijah. Grabbing the crib where the babies were once again, I stared into their little bodies intently. They had just settled down, and I was about to rile them up once again.

"What the fuck did you do to them, Vera?" I muttered lowly.

Ruzgard lowered his head.

"I’m sorry I can’t..." He sighed, trailing off.

There I noticed a sliver of darkness coming from the babies in front of me.

"Don’t sweat it, Ruzy. I’ll get it from the primary source." I announced, reaching down to the babies before suddenly feeling like if I had been struck by lightning.

My vision blurred before I suddenly found myself face to face with the woman I despised. I never thought I would hate anyone as much as I did her. However, she was nothing like what I thought she would be.

A wary smile rose on my lips, preparing to face her. Even though she was not really here. I had only one goal for this, answers and then... I would find her... And end her.

1