Chapter 31: This time, it was different than the first…
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a comforting night with Alijah, I got dressed before heading out of my room. I was determined to speak with Leonard, who was with the babies alone. The rest of the family dealt with Vera's remains, along with everyone else that perished, the day they attacked us.

My sister always said if anything happened that she wanted to be buried in the rose garden. It was where she would spend her time if she were not in the library. It was to nurture nature; she said once jokingly. But it became a wish my family would give to her at all costs. Everything had to be done at an unprecedented pace, too.

After all, Edna’s warning was all that remained in our hearts. That morning, I woke up to a text from Dad, announcing that he found a place for Vera in the forest next to Silverant. Sadly, the garden was out of the question. Public health risk, they called it.

At least she would find rest in a meadow surrounded by different breeds of flowers. Even though everything progressed, it felt like I was lagging. Everyone seemed to know what to do. I had to get moving, too.

Alijah and Ruzgard followed me out of our room when I headed towards the baby twins' room. On the way there I tried to practice what I would say to Leonard, but in all honestly. Nothing ever came outright. There was no way to stop what needed to happen from hurting the sweet vampire, who became a single father for the second time.

Even so, he would have to see to reason, or so I hoped. I could not allow Loki to go anywhere near the vampires before he could defend himself. Sadly, fate was always a fickle thing, though. Some said that the future was set in stone, but I was proof of how it could fluctuate.

The book of life could not read mine, but that was probably thanks to the two gods that resided within me. Even so, that was probably why Vera did that bargain. Yet I could not quite accept it. There had to be a way where these two kids still had their mother. Unfortunately, it would never come to be.

Opening the door to the nursery, I noticed Leonard with one of the oldest maids in our service. She was helping him feed and change the babies' diapers. I waited for them to finish before asking the maid to leave the room.

What I had to say was for him alone. After she left, I closed the door behind her. Alijah sat down in a seat nearby the babies. Ruzgard used him to perch himself up to look at Loki and Oswald.

"Leon, I..." I trailed off.

The knots that were in my stomach prevented me from speaking, but I needed to push past them. There was no time to remain idle anymore. And it was growing shorter with every second that passed.

Leonard was the only one from who I needed to convince the most. Though the wary vampire's expression shifted to a gentle one the moment he deducted onto why I was there.

"I know what you’re going to say," Leonard simpered.

I fumbled to find the right words. I never intended to hurt this man any more than he already suffered, but there was no way to avoid it.

"What?" I mumbled, gazing at him

His expression changed yet again to one of sorrow, glancing towards his twins.

"You’re going to honor Vera's wish. Even I can’t deny that Loki's life will be utter chaos if he’s allowed into Night city. Even though I want to say no. I don’t want you to take him away. But… it’s for the best, right?" Leonard whimpered, glancing towards his defenseless children.

Silently I watched.

"I can’t argue with you. Not with her gone." Leonard sighed, clasping onto his chest like there was a hole there.

"Leon..." I mumbled, shaking my head, clenching my hands into fists.

Everything that was happening was hateful. An utter disgrace. Yet in all of this was a man thinking more of his children than anything else. It reminded me of when I first met him. He was too sweet for his good. Much like Alijah said.

How did Asher spawn this into the world? Probably, if I had never met Alijah, I would have been swooned by this man. Probably why Vera was too. He was admirable. The perfect father... like Dad was to us.

Shit... None of this is fair, but it has to be done. Harden your heart Rem.

"Please take good care of them. Make sure that their childhood is full of wonders and fantasies.” Tears were visible in Leonard’s eyes.

“Even though it feels like, they’ll have a dark future ahead thanks to those markings." He sighed, placing his hand on little Oz's chest.

The mark that stained their souls was unpredictable. Even so, I would fight to free them from the witch's grip.

"I’ll update you every day on them! Send you pictures of where we are! I’ll send you tons of letters too! So, you better be prepared to receive them, Leon!" I voiced, trying to say anything to him.

In return for my outburst, he smiled at me, shaking his head before breaking into tears. Those did not belong in his eyes.

Leonard... I’m sorry...

"I know. Thank you," he cried.

I stood there flimsier than ever before.

Why is it so hard to do the right thing?

Sadly, it was the only thing that could be done.

"When will you..." The broken vampire trailed off, trying to compose himself.

I steadied myself, not wanting to trample over his convictions. My heart hardened. If he agreed to my crazy plan, then Edna was right. Loki's life was in danger. I mean, Leonard’s father killed his sister to hide his origins.

"After killing Edna... if she announces where our final battle will be," I informed, shaking away the emotions that plagued to drown me again.

No more wavering!

Or so I thought. This would one of many hard choices I had to make. And I did not know the future was full of them. I did not know how to be a parent. Neither did Alijah, but I knew we would protect them until our last breaths.

"I see. So, a week to enjoy with these two bundles of joy." Leonard simpered at his babies.

I closed my eyes because of it. This was too much. It hurt to do, but even so, I would crush this man to make sure the twins were safe. Even though I wanted to apologize to him, I refrained from doing so. There was no forgiveness for what I was determined to do.

"It could be more," I sighed, hoping in my heart that I would not have to take them away.

But that was only wishful thinking. A wish that would not come true.

"I would wish it so, but won't hold my breath to it. I’ve had enough disappointment in this lifetime." Leonard declared, hardening his heart to the future that was to come.

"Vera... I’ll allow your sister to carry on your wish. For that, I’ll deny these children as mine until the time comes when I can't anymore." He added, only to break down soon after.

I hugged him, unable to keep myself from doing so. This man deserved the world, yet he was getting nothing but sorrowful memories. Closing my eyes, I held him while he wept. Again, I swore to myself that these boys would have nothing missing from their lives.

Not while they were under my care. After a short while, Alijah pulled me away from Leonard before glaring at him.

"Don't you think you held her for far too long?" my wolf growled.

I glanced up at him to see how jealous he was of the fact that we had been comforting each other. There was no reason for him to be, but here he was, holding me closely and protectively.

"Of course, the jealous husband steps in. Don’t worry, I see her nothing more than my sons' aunt." Leonard reassured Alijah with a snarky smile on his lips, shaking off the tears that still plagued his eyes.

"I don’t care. Don’t over-touch my wife so lightly." My wolf pouted.

I laid my head on his chest, releasing a sigh. If Leonard would not have been chuckling because of Alijah's childish jester. I probably would have said something, but instead, I basked in the first smile this man had since Vera died. Of course, Alijah would be the one to break one out of him.

Crackling, Leonard shook his head, gazing towards his unsuspecting friend. He never once thought he would find one in Alijah and neither had he.

"Hey... thank you. Please be a good father to my boys." The gentle vampire simpered at Alijah, catching him utterly off guard.

I had never seen his eyes widen so much before.

"I-I... don’t know how to do that," Alijah confessed, holding me tightly.

In the back, Ruzgard pulled a chair over to the cribs before jumping on it to get a better view of the babies.

"Well, it’s similar to what you do with Rem. Well, minus the sexual attraction and touching," Leonard smirked playfully.

I flushed red as Alijah growled.

"You little blood fucker." My wolf huffed, unable to answer him correctly.

I took a peek at Alijah to notice his cheeks were light pink as well. Leonard shrugged before turning back to the twins that were sleeping peacefully the entire time.

"I can be at peace if it will be you two taking care of them. The world's hope against the soul cairn and the world's craziest Lycan to have ever lived.” He chuckled, shaking his head slightly.

“You know what, I think Loki and Oswald will be safe with you to watching for them." He reassured us, petting Ruzgard, who was peeking at the twins' sleeping faces.

Instinctively, I pushed Alijah away, bowing my head down to Leonard. He was a man who deserved my utter respect. I…

"I won’t fail you," I promised, hands clenched into fists again.

Leonard petted me like I was some type of pup. The whole action caused Alijah to growl yet again.

"No need for that. Failure is fine, Rem. It happens to every parent. It’s part of the learning process. Just knowing you’ll do everything possible for them is enough. I’m sure this is how Vera felt too." Leonard reassured, making me realize I was not wrong when I judged this man.

He truly was one of a kind. Pulling away from my head. Much to Alijah's relief, Leonard placed his eyes on the babies, touching Oz's little cheek.

"I love human babies and their little chubby cheeks. How blessed am I that I now have one with my blood coursing through his veins?” He simpered, leaving me feeling like I was about to break.

This man…

“Though I would have loved a baby girl. It seems all I can give are males." He added.

I grabbed onto the crib, too.

"Hm... Loki's cheeks don’t stay far behind too." I simpered at the two beautiful babies.

At that moment, they suddenly fluttered their little eyes open slightly, giggling at the sudden light that shined through their pupils. They had their father's eyes. A beautiful endless sky within their eyes. There was also a purple ring around their pupil.

It was love at first sight for me. Those babies would be like they were mine. Instantly, I imprinted them into my heart.

"After Edna's demise, I’ll go back to Night city as nothing happened. Hopefully, that’ll buy you enough time to disappear. Though I’ll be honest. Father and the queen will hunt for Loki when they hear of him. Especially if he..." Leonard warned, turning towards me.

I snapped out of my awe, turning to the wary vampire, who seemed ready for the chaos that was about to come.

"Yes, if he can use magic, but it won't matter. By the time your father finds him. He will be too strong for anyone to take out or to control." I promised.

Leon nodded, gazing back at his babies.

"I sure hope so," Leon mumbled.

I spent a couple of hours with him and the babies. Everyone else readied for our final farewell to Vera's body. This was something I did not look forward to. Sadly, to me, her body seemed more like a shell than anything else.

But when Caden came in to tell us that it would be in the coming morning, I steadied myself for what I would tell my family afterward. The next day, the entire farewell made me feel sick to my stomach. So much that I had to leave early.

It was not even because Vera's body was there. It was because it was too much of a big event. Mom and Dad intended it for it to be only family, but people who claimed to know Vera invaded it. Sadly, they could not stop them from coming in without starting drama. Something we all wanted to avoid.

Most of them called themselves Vera's "friends". They tried to seem like they cared about her, which in turn made me want to hurt every one of them. For the last nine months, Vera spent all her time inside the library.

So, I knew all these people crying over her did not care about jacked shit. None of them visited while she was pregnant, too. There was a rumor around Silverant. One that said she was a harlot who did not know who her baby's father was.

Of course, this was because of Vera’s words. But it did not change how it stigmatized the entire pregnancy thing. She did not care, as long as I knew she was not. Instead of staying and creating trouble, I left along with Alijah and Ruzgard.

It was not like it mattered. There was nothing left for me at that event. After all, Vera was gone for good. No matter how many times I stared at her body, it would not bring her back. Lost within my thoughts, I did not notice Caden following me out of the event too.

Before I knew it, he grabbed onto my hand, pulling me into his embrace near the entrance. Did I look like I needed a hug?

"You feel like you’re going miles away. Sis talk to me." My brother pleaded.

His words caused me to sigh, pulling myself away slightly. I did not want to ruin anyone’s time during the...

"I’ll tell you later, okay? Go back." I simpered.

However, most importantly, I did not want anyone to hear what I was planning. All around us were ears waiting to gobble up all the information that was said. Especially with how high profile the funeral was being.

There were even news media around. Another irritation… Luckily, they were leaving the hybrid alone. Sadly, because of them, Leonard decided not to come. It would have been better for him to seem distant from Vera and her children.

Though at the manor, he stayed near the babies the entire time. I could not help but glare at any who gazed my way. The only reason they did not swarm Caden was that he was near Alijah and me.

Pest…

Caden narrowed his eyes, suddenly dragging me away. I never expected my brother to leave with me. Before I knew what was happening, I found myself in an isolated place. Everyone was out saying their farewells to spend time by the small fountain near the manor.

Glancing around, he made sure there were not any living souls around before turning to me for answers. I sighed, sitting on the fountain he had dragged me to. Alijah gazed around the small plaza, unsure about his surroundings.

Ruzgard jumped on where I was. Sadly, Caden gazed at me intently, putting pressure on me. He was not backing down. Luckily, there was no harm in telling him now that there was no one in sight. It was not like I could hide it any longer.

That was when I told my brother everything that I was planning on doing. He listened to me intently until every last word that sprouted out of my mouth. It did not matter how nonsensical it was.

Even when he heard Leonard give me his blessing to do what I planned, Caden sat there waiting for me to finish. After I was done, I fought off the tears that wanted to run out of me, waiting for him to flip. But instead, he kneeled to me, smiling gently, placing his hands on my lap.

"So, when are we doing this?" Caden suddenly announced, leaving me dumbfounded by his response.

"We?" I mumbled, realizing what he had said.

Much to my surprise, he smiled, nodding to confirm I heard him right.

"Yes, we," he repeated.

I shook my head in disbelief.

No... Mom and Dad...

"Caden, you can't leave Silverant." I blurted out, unable to believe the next in line for the alpha of the Lycans was telling me he was going to leave with me.

It was a leap into the unknown.

"Hm? Why? I want to follow you to take care of you and my nephews. Plus, you’ll need someone that can come and go through the soul cairn. Also, someone you can trust to stay with the babies when you’re taking care of your duties.” He informed, finding holes in my plan.

Shit… I…

“So, count me in sis." He declared, reaching for my cheek.

I could not believe what was happening. Even so, the guilt was what ate me the most. If Caden went with me, then Mom and Dad would also lose time with him, too. I could not do that to them. Not after having to take their grandkids away.

"But Mom and Dad—" Caden did not let me finish, tugging on my ear.

"Hey, they know kids won’t to be with them their entire lives. Vera already took off without us, but soon, each of us will fly off to our destinations. Life’s short and I want to live it for myself, not the pack or Cerberus." My brother sighed, having thought about it.

He probably had been playing with the idea on his head for a while. And the moment Vera died. It shook him to the point he reevaluated what he desired to do with his life. And it had nothing to do with Silverant and the royal blood that coursed through his veins.

"But you were supposed to be the next alpha." I pointed out, trying to discourage him.

He shrugged because of it.

"Eh? I was? I don’t care. There’s nothing here for me too." Caden reassured.

I could not help but tear up because of his dedication towards me.

Why is he like this? Does he feel so responsible for me that he will leave everything behind? I can’t… allow that!

"Weird sister complex you have there, pup." Alijah teased, noticing the tears that were rolling down my cheeks.

In response, my brother growled at him. My wolf was not mad at Caden for making me cry, but he did not miss the chance to tease his younger brother by law.

"Oi, be quiet. I allowed you to marry her! But she isn’t going anywhere without me." Caden grumbled at my wolf, who chuckled.

I took the lead Alijah left for me. For a moment, I giggled, catching the boys' attention.

"Yep, you’re a weirdo." I simpered, causing Caden's cheeks to flush pink.

"Hey! Don't join him!" My sweet brother continued to grumble.

This did not stop the tears from dripping down my eyes. To me, he was such a precious existence that had just become even brighter.

Aiden and Caden had always been there for us, haven't they, Vera?

"I love you, Caden. Like I really do." I sobbed, hugging him tightly.

He held me back the same way, somewhat shocked I had professed my love for him. His tail wagged because of it.

"I love you too, Rem." Caden's voice cracked.

The emotions were being too much for him, too. Unlike the last time that I ventured out on my own, this time my brother was there for me. There was no protecting me from danger. So instead, he would join me in it.

"Will you tell Mom and Dad today?" He asked, holding me gently in his arms.

I nodded to answer him through my soft cries.

"Okay, then I’m with you. I’ll always be with you, Rem, from now on." My loving brother promised.

I shook my head, unable to believe how supportive he was being. Yet part of me knew that he always sided with me. After all, he was the first one to accept Alijah out of everyone.

"You’ve always been with me." I cried.

"Caden, I love you." I sobbed, feeling like I wanted to tell him more of how I felt.

Another regret I had with Vera. Not telling her how much I loved her before, I could not anymore. I guess there was no way to do that.

Is there a death that leaves no regrets?

"It’s okay. I love you too, silly girl." Caden enjoyed the moment, tail wagging back and forward.

Alijah huffed, not liking it at all. Though he did nothing to separate us. Instead, he allowed me to hug my brother for the longest time, until I calmed down enough to separate by myself. With my brother by my side, we headed back home to wait for the night to fall.

The moment everyone got home, I gathered them in the family room. There told them what I wanted to do without holding back. I thought Mom would blow the moment she heard me say I was going to take her grandchildren away. But she did not.

Neither did Dad, who listened to me intently, unlike last time when they all turned me away. Even Aiden, who was the first one against me going to get Alijah, stayed quiet. After I finished, Dad sat down in a chair.

I could not tell what his expression was. Mom walked over to me, hugging me tightly. Her hands trembled while she held me.

"It’s nowhere remotely fair... But if you think this is for best." Mom tried to stay strong.

I got teary-eyed because of her. They were experiencing a pain I wished I would never know. Yet they would support me, and it killed me. Part of me wished they would have yelled at me, but what it turned to be was too much for my heart to take.

"You each will choose your path, but please remember you have a home here." Dad simpered, turning to me.

Tears were visible in his eyes. I could not contain myself. Running and hugging him tightly. He had been the one who had always accepted everything about me. Even though when it was harder on him.

The one who protected me and loved me, even though I was a hybrid in everyone else's eyes. A mix that was scorned by the surrounding society. Yet all he ever showed me was love. Even when his grandfather did otherwise.

"Dad, I’m so sorry!" I cried, feeling guilty for everything that happened.

He sighed, holding me back. All I brought to this family was misfortune. And now I was breaking them apart even more.

"Silly girl, you have nothing to be sorry for. You’ll forever be my little adorable luma," Dad reassured.

I held onto him like my life depended on it. To him, I was his daughter, nothing else. The last time I left this manor. It was nothing like this. I was denied and shoved aside for my protection. But this time I was being let go.

It hurt more than having to sneak away from them. I did not want to let go of them this time.

Was I hoping they would resist? Probably.

Mom hugged us from behind while I held onto them. This was not the last goodbye, but it would be where our resolve would form. That was where my conflicted brother made his stance known.

"I don't think I can agree to this." Aiden finally broke the silence.

Tears were visible in his eyes. His hands were fists and his ears were slanted back. The pain in his voice was apparent, too. He was not ready to let me go after losing Vera.

Ah... Some resistance. My adorable strict brother...

I turned to him in my father's arms, but before I could say a word, Caden stepped in.

"Well, bro, don’t worry. I’ll be with them." Caden announced, suddenly catching everyone by surprise.

I had only said of my side. After all, I could not bear to take him away from them, too. The shock on Aiden's face was one that quickly turned into disbelief.

"What? You can’t go!" Aiden huffed, grabbing onto his arm because of it.

After all, Caden was the prodigy that was supposed to inherit everything. Aiden was always second in everything that his brother did. But at the same time, Caden never cared for succession.

"This entire thing has made me realize I don’t want to be a leader. I wish to travel and help my little sister in her quest. Plus, as I told her. She’ll need someone to come in and out of here easily.” He started gazing at me.

His eyes quickly shifted back to Aiden.

“Alijah nor Rem can go into the soul cairn because of their connections to Midnight. We don’t know how the other shadow demons will react to them. And to us they’re docile." My brother confronted, unwavering from his decision.

Dad noticed the resolve of his son. It was one that he would not reject. He would give his son the choice they denied him during his childhood. They shoved the role of leader on him, something he would not do.

Plus, Caden had already told Dad he did not want the crown that hung so heavily on our father's head. This happened years ago, during an argument between the two. It ended with…

"If that’s what you wish. I have no intention of forcing a role on you because of what you were born to be. I already told you that before too." Dad sighed, stepping away from me, facing Caden.

Our father’s words triggered Caden to smile back at him. Aiden, though, was not ready for such goodbyes. To him, there was something special in Silverant. He shared the view my father wished to accomplish. Unlike us, who had no connections to it.

"But why not stay? We’ll just defend against the vampires!" Aiden tried to be the voice of reason.

I pulled away from Mom to face him. I understood he wanted the family to stay together. Fuck, I wanted that too. But that was impossible. It would also be the first time Aiden and Caden would be separated since birth, too.

They had always done everything together. I guess this time was coming either way. What I said next would be some have hypocritical of me. I did not care if a war happened between our races, but... Vera did.

Because of her… And only because of her, I would…

"Vera didn’t want a war to break out because of her children. She just wanted her babies free of the vampires' royal selection. And that’s a wish I’ll try to accomplish. Even though I think it’s impossible.” I sighed, facing reality.

To hide from them was a hard task, but one I would do for as long as I could.

“Let’s be realistic. I know they will find us. We don’t know if Loki will be manageable either. But if I take them away from that environment for a couple of years... that will have to be enough." I countered.

Aiden winced, unable to handle it well. He knew a war with the vampires could cost us more than what we already lost. This included the babies' lives. Our only option was to hide them for the time being.

"Even Leonard agreed. We have to go." I declared, steeling my resolve.

There was no time to waver anymore. Dad grabbed me by my shoulder to comfort me. I guess I was shaking where I stood. This was more difficult than the dragon I fought.

"When did you grow up, Rem?" Aiden simpered, tears rolling down his cheeks.

I smiled.

"It isn’t like this is our final farewell. I’m sure we’ll see each other again. And even if we don't, we’ll always be in each other's hearts. After all, children fly off towards their futures." Dad reassured.

I turned, hugging him again. His scent was always so calming to me. The same with my brothers. I guess the smell of the roses was stuck on all of us.

"Of course. You have to get to know all of your grandkids." I chuckled without thinking.

I had not realized what had come out of my mouth. I only realized when Dad caught on, but was too slow to speak. Mom was quicker than him when she grabbed me by my chin, pulling me to face her.

Her eyes were so wide that I already knew what she was thinking.

Oops...

I guess Alijah's words from the previous days rung in my ears.

"Wait... are you...?" Mom trailed off.

Everyone in the room became silent as I became embarrassed because of it. I never intended to announce it without knowing for sure. Yet now there was no choice.

"I don't know... Maybe?" I mumbled, snuggling into Dad, who seemed a bit shocked.

I could not answer for sure since I had not gotten tested yet.

"Alijah!?!?" my brothers suddenly yelled, glaring at my wolf.

He seemed surprised by their sudden outburst. Caden grabbed onto his shirt.

"How dare you!?" my jealous brother growled loudly.

Alijah could not understand how to answer him.

"Well... Aren't you full of surprises?" Shade chuckled, laying on the table near the door.

Suddenly, Uncle Ben stood up from his chair, heading towards me. In a second, he snatched me from Dad's embrace, pulling me into his. He held me tightly for a moment before letting me go, heading towards the door.

Recently he had been traveling a lot with his girlfriend, but he came back for the funeral. Tania was back in Celnaer reporting what happened to her king. Cerberus sent a messenger to every nation to prepare them for this battle that was yet to come.

"Well, then I’ll prepare an airship for you along with a crew that’ll be faithful to you alone.” Uncle Ben announced by the door, leaving me shocked.

But before I could say anything, he continued.

“Even though you want to do this alone. You can’t. But leave this part to me." He smiled, giving us his blessing before leaving the room.

It left me shocked.

An entire ship for ourselves? With a crew?!? How will that even work?!?

Before I could even settle into that thought, Auntie Amelia stood up and petted my head.

"And I’ll prepare everything you need to go with the babies. Also, funds for you to use in your trip." She seemed sad yet determined to help me go, too.

I hugged her in response. She had always been there for us, too. Another purebred who loved me even though I was a hybrid in both appearance and blood. All the purebreds that filled this homemade sure to let me know they loved me. And that was something I could not deny.

"You’ll also need to learn a lot about caring for babies in only three days." Auntie Melody grabbed onto my hands.

I let go of Amelia, who stood on the side. Everyone was being supportive. But it was not long before Auntie Amelia dragged me off into the bathroom to get a pregnancy test done. To her, that was more important than planning out details. That was something that could wait until tomorrow.

I felt intimidated by the test while I sat there on the toilet, waiting for the results to appear. Part of me hoped it would be negative because it would make things easier. Though, I wished it were positive even against all the odds stacked against me.

A conflicting feeling brewed within me. After all, even a person without a brain would know a baby complicated things. I never expected Vera to die when I told Alijah to start a family with me. Those minutes felt almost like hours.

Everyone waited for me outside, too. I gazed over to the door before laying my eyes on the test. My heart skipped a beat when I saw two lines. It was positive. The weight of my actions sunk in before I headed outside.

There I showed everyone the results. For a moment, everyone did not know what to say. I did not seem particularly happy about it, too. But it was all blown away. In an instant, Alijah picked me up in his arms, holding me up. I rested my hands on his shoulders.

The smile that rose on my wolf's lips was so genuine. I could not regret the fact that I was holding his child in my womb. At that moment, life shifted once again. I had to care for more than two precious lives.

“Alijah, you're happy?” I mumbled, feeling conflicted about it.

He chuckled, shaking his head lightly.

“Are you kidding me? My beautiful wife is going to give me a baby. Of course, I’m happy.” He smirked, taking a load off my back.

Yet I…

“But… this…” I trailed off.

A soft chuckle left his lips. “There’s never a good time for anything, my love. Trust me, our lives will be chaotic, but we’ll handle it.”

I could not help but smile at him, as everyone seemed pleased with that answer. Kissing me tenderly, Alijah placed me down on the floor. I had not noticed Auntie Amelia had left before seeing her come with some vitamins.

I was from the ones Vera was using before she... After that, she stuffed me with food too. I had not eaten the entire day. A habit she said I had to let go of. The first lesson was nutrition and how important it was for a baby's growth.

I usually never ate much, but this was too much. I felt like I was about to blow by the time she was done with me. A medic was called too. I was only three weeks into my pregnancy. Alijah’s overprotectiveness seemed to come from the hormones that I was giving off.

He would not leave my side and even took it upon himself to make sure I ate. After that, everything again got busy once again. I had to be taught how to care for children, using Loki and Oz as my test dummies. Of course, nothing could hurt them.

Auntie Amelia and Melody would not allow me to do so. Alijah also got a crash course on caring for babies, too. He would be the father's role for Loki, Oz, and our unborn child. By the time I was done for the day, I could not help but pass out because of everything that I practiced.

Leonard’s training had moved to nights alone. The mornings were all baby work, but my sword skills would not afford to go rusty because of my new situation. Even throughout the night, I would have to wake up several times to tend to Oz and Loki.

It was something I did with no complaints. When I held the babies in my hands, they suddenly turned into so much more than what I originally thought they would be. However, in these three days of chaos. There were moments when Leonard and I enjoyed watching Alijah caring for the babies.

It was one of the few times he wore a genuine smile on his face. I never thought he could be so gentle with anyone else other than me. Even Aunty Melody and Mom would stop by to watch him, too. Though it was not long until Leonard teased Alijah every time he did so.

The vampire seemed to test my wolf’s patience, which had grown exponentially since he arrived in this era. Time passed once again, and before I knew it, I stared at the day Edna said she would contact us. That night I could not sleep a wink, waiting for word to come.

It seemed Alijah, and I was not the only ones too. Everyone was gathering in the living room with us. It was a moment of peace that allowed us to bask in each other's presence, enjoying the small chatter that erupted.

Though nothing filled the emptiness that Vera's departure left us with. For the longest time, we chatted about simpler things. The entire time I rested my head on Alijah's chest, who held me tightly, too.

We would only have to wait until dawn before a knock came from the door. At that moment, the mood soured. Before the maids answered, I ran faster than I ever thought I would towards the door. Not knowing what stood on the other side, I answered it with one hand on my blade.

Much to my surprise, there was a human girl on the other side, probably a witch. She wore a hooded cloak. Alijah hinted at the stench of magic that came from her. He was never far behind me, but this time Dad and my brothers were there too.

Taking the hood off, she stared at me with her dark, cold green eyes for a moment before speaking.

"Are you Rem?" the woman asked, glancing towards the overprotective wolves that were behind me.

If she even moved to attack me, Alijah would not let her roll one breath out.

"Yes?" I answered, not knowing what to expect from this messenger.

Alijah placed his hand on the door frame. He was a constant hover, not that I minded it. Though I wished he would relax a bit. I was just a few weeks in, and I was not having any negative symptoms. Then again, those usually started a month into the pregnancy. And I was just in the beginning.

"Alijah... I presume?" The human female acknowledged his presence.

Even though his intentions for her were set and sure. Her emotions were missing altogether from her face. Not an ounce of fear radiated from her.

"Well then, my mistress has a message for you both. And for those who are in earshot of this announcement. Lilith, Fenris, Caden, Aiden, Liam, Melody, Sophie, Ben, and Amelia.” She knew everyone in my family.

It concerned me, yet I could not allow that fear to show. Not to our enemies.

“You have all been challenged to stop her plans with one final push." The witch announced, taking a letter out of her bag.

Slowly, she handed it towards me. I stared at it without taking it at first. Noticing my hesitation, she continued to speak.

"Come back to Celestelia. The land where gods once perished and were sealed away within the Gate known as the soul cairn. You’ll have to go to the cursed lands known as Bloodfalls. There you’ll have a chance to stop her if you wish.” She sighed, shaking her head.

“But be warned that some of you won’t make it back here." The witch recited.

I hesitantly grabbed onto the paper in her hands.

Bloodfalls? Where is that?

I had never heard of that place. Though Alijah growled the moment she said it. A smirk rose on her lips, enjoying his reaction.

"If you can’t do so. The Gate that’s holding the soul cairn back will fuse to this world making a permanent hole. One where these god-like beasts will emerge from endlessly. They’ll destroy everything in their path, causing chaos to the extent the deaf gods can’t ignore.” The witch made no sense, yet she carried on.

“And in turn crashing the divines down into this world, just as the book prophesied in its last pages." She smiled, enjoying that last part.

I could only feel scorn towards the bitch that was in front of me. To her, though, it was like she was telling a sweet story with a happy ending.

"Crazy bitch..." Alijah mumbled most of our collective thoughts, causing the witch to smirk at him, too.

"Pure fucking madness... Edna wants the world to go into chaos?" Aiden asked from behind us.

Even Leonard was there, too. He was poking his head out of the babies' chamber that was down the hall.

"My mistress's wants are unknown to me, but I honestly couldn’t care less if the world burned. After all, we’re hunted and persecuted because of what we are. The only reason Lilith's line could live until now was that it was dormant. It also helps that she holds the Gate that separates the two worlds in her body. But even that’s been compromised." The woman snarled before smirking again.

"I wonder if they would allow her to keep on living once they realize part of the gate was ripped out twenty years ago." She glared at my mother, who was next to Dad.

He grabbed onto her protectively, too. There was no way he would ever allow anything to happen to her. Nor would all the witches/warlocks that sided with her. Mom was not the young girl she used to be.

She did not seem to flinch at this witch's words, either. Instead, she stared at them blankly. Shade snickering was all I needed to know that Mom would kill this witch if she could.

"You’re an eternal witch too?" I asked, not noticing anything dangerous about her.

Though it was a mistake to even think that. Judging a book by its cover could make everything go to shit. This witch, however, was strictly here for a message.

"A weak one. Yes, I am. I can barely stop time because my blood is so impure. It’s the case for most of us. But that doesn’t matter. Because of what I am, I’ll die! How unfair is that?” she glowered at us.

“They burned my family alive just because they found me stopping time for a flower. I was dumb and young. I wanted a present for my sister-in-law. A stupid gift that cost me, my entire family." The witch answered bitterly, releasing a sigh.

"Every human girl has the potential to be born one. The gene lies dormant in most of us. Even in other races and hybrids. Though once awakened, the children that follow and so on will manifest it.” She informed.

“Just because of that fact, even though my magic’s weak, they killed my baby! She didn’t even know how to use magic! She was five! Somehow, I survived that ordeal thanks to Cain. And that story is nothing compared to what our mistress went through!" The witch lost her composure for a moment.

I honestly could not sympathize with her, or anyone from Edna's cult. Not after they took my sister from me. To me, they were nothing but vermin needed to be put down. The faster the better.

"You think I care about your cause? Or what you people went through after taking part in my family away?" I spat, unable to hide my loath towards them.

My wound was still so fresh, and I could not help but hate them.

"No, stupid hybrid. I know you can’t care less. You aren’t one of us fully, at least. Even then, you’re one of the lucky few that live because of your special. And even if you weren’t, this deadly Lycan wouldn’t allow you to perish.” She eyed down Alijah.

“Too bad you would have served out lady better than you do to this trash." The witch chastised Alijah.

I growled only for my wolf to glare at her with such discontent, too. Though she did not flinch at all.

"You speak too much," Alijah warned, trying to hold his better instincts at bay.

She laughed because of it.

"I don’t care. Either way, I’m dead no matter what I do anymore. Edna has chosen those to protect the gift, and I wasn’t one of them. I accept my fate. Living in her glory was enough. I don’t care if the world changes or burns as long as something happens! Something has to change!" The witch defied.

Alijah would have ripped her throat out. Well, if I was not in front of him, blocking his way to her. Her entire demeanor tempted me to step aside, but I needed all the information this bitch could give.

"You people are fucking crazy." I scorned her as well.

She took the chance to antagonize me more.

"Says the hybrid who had everything handed to her. Oh, do you think just because you lost your sister that your pain somehow is worse? Please..." The witch huffed.

I grabbed onto her shirt, trying to hold the desire to kill her right where she stood. Her little legs hung in the air when I held her up.

"I don’t give a shit if your pain is worse than mine!" I snarled.

Alijah sighed, grabbing onto my shoulder. I guess we were each other's stoppers.

"Rem." He called out to me softly, knowing I could not kill her when she could probably provide more information.

Even so, I wanted to hurt her. Nothing of my sister could ever leave her mouth. Yet…

"We’ll go to Edna's fucking party, and there I’ll kill that eternal bitch before—" I tried to declare my intentions.

A similar sensation crossed my throat, stopping me. The pact with Edna was preventing me from continuing. The witch could not help but laugh, even though she was still in my hands. I could have easily snapped her neck or ripped off her throat, but she did not fear what I could do to her.

She was already dead in her eyes.

"Pathetic! Utterly pathetic! You’re delusional if you think you can destroy Edna. She has lived for far longer than anyone else in history. She comes from a time where gods still—" The witch tried to finish her rant.

Suddenly she gushed out blood from her mouth, triggering me to let her go. Alijah instinctively pulled me away from her.

"What the fuck?" I questioned, not knowing what happened to her.

I had not done a single thing to the witch. Yet there she was, gargling in her blood, struggling to breathe.

"Is she choking on her blood?" Alijah followed.

I clung to him, watching her succumb to what ailed her. She was dead in a matter of seconds.

"It seems she was about to speak more than Edna wished her to do so," Ruzgard announced, standing beside me.

His words triggered me to grab my throat, remembering the feeling I had before I caught myself. If Edna could do that, then I...

What chances did I...

"Shit! She can do that?" Aiden spouted behind us.

Ruzgard nodded in response. I snuggled myself into Alijah.

"Yes, she can, but it should also take a lot out of her. Especially if it's a powerful witch. For strong ones, she can only silence them. But if you push past it, this happens." Ruzgard informed.

I felt the need to tell Alijah everything, but I could not say a single thing. If I did... I could have placed the baby in my womb in danger. That was something I could never allow to happen. No... I had to avoid that at all costs.

Once the witch was dead, I would be free of it. Opening the letter, the woman brought. It revealed coordinates and a time that was written on it. At night… and it would be tonight. Our final battle was coming. We all rushed towards it without gazing back to think.

Even though this might have been a trap, whatever Edna planned needed to be stopped. And for that to happen, we had to move. The Gate could never open permanently if we all wanted to live.

1