Chapter 35: Epilogue: Our Present and Future!
60 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ten years passed in a blink of an eye. Loki and Oz were twelve, Thea was eleven, and Leo was nine, almost going to ten. By this time, I told gently and in pretty terms what happened to the twins' mother and father. Of course, nothing about how they died, or why yet.

I thought it was too soon to explain that, but they knew they were gone. And that we were not their actual parents. I thought it would change something in our relationship, but it did not. To them, I would always be their mother, even though I was their aunt, while Alijah was their father. We had been living in bliss for the past twelve years, too.

Of course, we always kept moving to avoid the vampires that were looking for us. But other than that, it had been a breeze. This was something I explained to them. Especially to avoid other vampires. Although the reason I again held out on. I wanted them to enjoy their childhood as much as they could.

The shadow demons were nothing to scoff at, either. There had been a few hard ones, but luckily nothing in the level of a lower class mythical. Though they were cunning and powerful, even without being one.

I learned early that it would be a mistake to underestimate even the lesser-ranking ones. Luckily, we always managed, thanks to my power. I honed it into something else thanks to the years of practice too.

The twins knew that under no circumstances they were supposed to leave the airship alone. This also applied to Leo and Thea. It was the only way it would be fair. They were not alone, though. Usually, they were with Lola and Uriel, Caden’s daughter and son.

They were nine and eight prospectively. Of course, being kids, I did not expect them to listen. If my fall from the roof taught me anything was that kids would be kids no matter what I did. So, someone always monitored them when I was hunting demons.

It usually was my brother Caden, or anyone else from the ship if he was out gathering information in Silverant. Today, though, was a slow, lazy day. We were up in the air, blazing through the sky while the kids played by the deck of the ship. Alijah slept on my lap, leaving me watching the kids.

I traced my fingertips on my adoring husband's fluffy ears before caressing them. His fur was always so soft. I loved the feeling they left in my skin. And now I had two others indulge in Leo’s and Thea’s. Well, this came to some displeasure for both.

Especially Thea, who was trying to become independent at eleven. She reminded me of Vera. Something I did not expect to come from my child. Yet there she was every time I saw Thea. I saw a bit of her too.

Throughout the years, Alijah’s expression became so gentle and full of love. I could not help loving the way he gazed at me and our kids. I mean, he still had somewhat of a short fuse, but compared to when I met him. He was more relaxed and happier.

Even Valdios used to be rougher around the edges. Fewer curse words left his lips, too. He tried his best to control himself, especially while around the kids. Though, his demeanor was already rubbing off on Oz and Loki, who had grown into trouble makers.

My wish for my beloved soulmate came true, though. It came to me as a blessing. Especially since we had been through a lot of pain because of the actions of my past self. Even so, we went through it all together.

Though, I could not say I felt fine about everything. Even twelve years later, our losses haunted me. In my heart, there was a void left behind by them, but I guess that was for everyone. It took time before I stopped crying now and then.

But I suspect that was thanks to the adorable bundle of joys that my sister and Leonard left behind. Well, along with Ben’s legacy that lived within all of us too. I knew they would not have liked it if I would have broken down by their deaths.

Occasionally, I would send everyone letters with Caden whenever he went back home for reports. I usually packed those letters with photos of the kids and our traveling crew. Although time had not treated Mom and Dad well. I could see the age stacking on them when they visited us.

Vera’s death was hard on Mom, especially. She was always closer to her. Though, lately, they had their hands full with Julia and Jules. Aiden’s and Sophie’s baby girl and boy. Two little twin Lycans, who caused constant trouble.

Dad said the pups brought back Mom’s smile. And Auntie Amelia once again had her hands full with silver blood running all over the manor. Everyone back home would also write letters back to us, sending them with Caden.

It was almost a ritualistic thing that happened at least once a month. Especially when we could not see each other due to work or other things. In those letters, they would also send us any information about our actual targets. But it seemed like Cain and Lilith vanished.

I mean, there were sightings of the pair around the world, but it was hard to pinpoint an exact location. Tania was always tracking them, but fell behind the moment she thought she had them. She kept in communication with us, knowing we were after her, too. We all knew as the years passed, it would only be a matter of time until they slipped.

Or perhaps the wheel of chance would turn in our favor. But for now... we were happy just living in peace. The crown vampires had not made Loki’s, and Oz’s, linage known to everyone either. They probably wanted to find them in secret before actually making any announcements. Thankfully, Asher cared about his bloodline too much to squander it with rumors.

Or perhaps it was something else. Sometimes that old man would send letters to Dad to forward to me. Most of the time, he would ask about the children’s wellbeing. He was a hard man to understand, but to be honest, I never gave him the chance.

I hummed a song, watching Ruzgard play with the kids in the distance. This was an image I wished would stay permanent. Alijah’s ears twitched, alerting me he was waking up. Instinctively, I let go of them.

“Did you have a pleasant dream?” I simpered at my loving wolf, feeling the same way I had always felt about him.

The butterflies that fluttered in my stomach never stopped. In fact, they were always there, even when we were on our celestial plane. Though those memories remained fragmented.

“Mhm,” Alijah yawned, wiping his eyes.

He slowly got up from my lap, only for me to take my chance. In a second, I lay against his chest. It was always warm and comforting for me. Especially, hearing his heartbeat always soothed me.

“I’m happy,” I purred, gazing towards the kids.

His arms came around my waist, pulling me closer to him. His smile was more defined.

“You are?” my wolf asked, placing his chin against my head.

I grumbled into his chest. “Of course I am. Are you?”

I turned the question against him, causing him to hold me tighter because of it.

“More than you’ll ever know,” Alijah simpered, triggering me to chuckle, cuddling into him a bit.

Snuggling was always best. I always attacked him like this, not that he minded.

“Utter bliss.” I simpered.

He grabbed onto my hand, prompting me to turn my gaze at him. A swift reward met me when his lips pressed against mine lightly. It was a kiss that did not go unnoticed. Oz grunted in front of us, triggering us to pull away from each other.

His little blue purplish eyes glared at us in disgust from where he stood. He was always a vocal little one. Not that I minded.

“Ew… get a room!” Oz huffed.

His harsh tone caused Alijah to get up from where we were. In an instant, he grabbed the little intruder from the back of his shirt.

Here we go again.

A fight always broke out on this ship.

“Oi, where are your manners, brat?” Alijah growled, annoyed by Oswald's comment.

The boy took it like a challenge. The little ones did not know how dangerous Alijah truly was. Not that he would ever hurt his kids. To them, he would be as dangerous as a stuffed plushie. An adorable plushie that was pushed and pulled around by the kids of this ship.

It was like he was another person from the one I met. Well, in sorts and only towards those he cared for. Towards anyone else, he was always the same wolf I had known.

“Hah?!? Something wrong with your hearing, you damn grandpa?!?” Oz shot back at Alijah, causing his eyes to twitch.

Where did he learn that? Well, from Alijah himself. Giggles left me in response to this minor exchange between father and son. Oswald was always protective of me. It was rather cute.

“You little fuck... should I teach you a brief lesson?” Alijah growled, snapping a bit.

I knew where these kids got their attitude. And I guess it did not help that I was kind of like him, too. It was a ship full of hotheads. Heck, even our chef was a blaze elf who blew like a volcano. His food was pretty good, though.

This dynamic we had; I would not change it for the world. However, there was someone who always tried to restore order. They reminded me of Vera herself.

“Hm, I’m just sure he’s jealous to have no time with Ma like you do, Pa.” Thea pointed out from Ruzgard’s back, who was sitting in front of us.

All the kids were staring at Alijah and Oswald. Well, all but Loki, who observed from the side. The little vampire, being so quiet about everything that was happening, worried me a bit. He had to be planning something.

It was unlike him to be so quiet without creating trouble, along with his brother. Though this time he seemed to be dazed off. And that made me even more curious about what was going on in his mind. He would not have missed the chance to bother Alijah and Oz at the same time otherwise.

Oswald had a cat familiar who appeared the day he turned ten. Her name was Zephier. Unlike Shade, she had unique characteristics to her body. Like her ears were not perky. They folded down and her tail had a natural curl to it.

She hung off Oz’s pants when Alijah held him up with ease by his shirt. Loki also had a snake familiar, confirming Vera’s fear. It seemed he was the first vampire to have magic in a long time. Although his magic was still not fully active. Neither was Oz’s. It was like something was holding them back.

Probably the bond with the missing child.

“I’m not jealous, Thea! How about you fuck off?!” Oz hissed.

She rolled her little red eyes at him, while Leo, Uriel, and Lola held onto her shirt behind her. The smaller ones were always the shy ones. Though I suspected they would grow out of it too. It seemed we Silver Fangs always gave life to robust kids.

Though Leo surely was the quietest of the bunch. If only they would stay like that for all their lives. A sigh left me the moment I remembered how Loki and Oz were. Well, before they got to the rebellious stage. They used to be so cute.

Well, they still were. I loved all of them equally and would lay my life for them.

“Now, now let’s all get along.” I sighed, deciding to break up the fight, grabbing Oz from Alijah’s grip and into my arms.

In an instant, he hugged me tightly the moment he had me in his grasp. Loki glanced away from us when it was over. Though I tried to keep my eye on him, wanting to know what was going on in his little head. He was always hard to read, but adorable in his way.

Lately, though, he had become a bit more rebellious than usual. Probably because he was the only vampire on board. It must have been pretty lonely to be surrounded by elves, humans, and wolves all the time. Even so, I could do nothing about it. Not until we reached the point of no return.

After Oz calmed down enough, I placed him down, making my way towards little Loki. His little blue purplish orbs watched the clouds go by in the same daze as before. He did not notice me come up to him. His mind was busy with other things.

Alijah stayed with the other kids when I approached the small, unsuspecting vampire. Leo had run-up to his father for a hug, which he gladly gave him. It started a cascade of affection before being joined by Oswald. In fact, all the kids seemed to want to embrace my loving wolf, asking him to shift into his beast form.

They loved to take rides on him. I no longer was his sole rider. And he did not mind it. Having kids changed our lives in ways I never expected. Thea and Leo were still learning how to control their forms.

Although our little girl was almost ready to go at it by herself. Loki seemed blissfully unaware of my presence when I suddenly and stealthily grabbed onto his sides.

“Boo!” I cooed, startling him.

It was cute how he jumped because of my spontaneous deed.

Gosh… I wish I could eat you up.

If only Vera could see how her little boy turned out to be. Shifting his eyes onto me, he hissed. However, this was something I was not sorry for at all.

“Remi!” Loki pouted.

A cute little nickname Oz and Loki used for me sometimes when they were not calling me Ma. The way his cheeks puffed caused me to giggle, reaching for them. He was just too adorable. I traced my fingertips on his soft cheeks before pulling away and huffing.

It caused those beautiful orbs to stick to me like glue.

“I couldn’t help myself after seeing you watching us with those little devious eyes. What’s going on in that little head of yours, my love?” I questioned, placing my hands on my waist, raising one of my eyebrows.

My question caused him suddenly to get flushed.

Adorable. Gosh, Leonard, if you only knew how cute your baby boy turned out to be.

Loki was just like him, too. Only that his son's silverish white hair was nothing like his was. He seemed to have inherited our hair with a combination of Asher’s line.

“Nothing…” the little embarrassed vampire mumbled, shifting his gaze away from me.

His cheeks were purely pink. It only made me more curious about what was going on with him. Though, it also worried me.

“Are you sure? Do you feel okay?” I touched his forehead, worried he might have been getting a fever, but his temperature was normal.

Well, at least to the touch. He did not seem ill either, and ate a full meal before coming out.

Is the sun bothering him?

Though the barrier we had up should have helped with that. It was made from a sun elf crystal, which blocked out UV light. Of course, it was nothing like the one they had in Night City. Loki never complained before, either.

“I feel fine, Ma,” Loki complained, swiping my hand away.

His rejection caused me to frown because of it before turning to his little familiar, Eli the winged snake. It was the same as any shadow beast that our family inherited, but this was the first time we had a reptile. Though those feathered wings that sprouted from its body were something else. A mix between a bird and a snake, I guess.

“Hm… Is that right, Eli?” I asked, pouting.

Eli tilted his head at me. One thing about the snake and Loki was this familiar loved to mess with his summoner. It was a unique relationship, too. Though, the vampire seemed to have less control of his familiar than his brother.

Perhaps there was something different about them.

“He had a dream with a pretty girl with fair skin, black hair, and emerald eyes,” Eli announced.

I narrowed my eyes the moment those words left him.

A girl? He couldn’t be getting to that age already... Right?

I mean, Caden had a girlfriend when we were ten. But this child did not have the chance to know anyone other than the people on the ship. And no one here had that combination of colors. Thea, the only one who could match that, had crimson eyes.

But Loki's dream girl had...

Green eyes… Na… it can’t be… Right? Wait, isn’t he growing up too quickly? Are his hormones kicking up?

“Shut up, Eli,” Loki snapped at his familiar, shoving him into his shirt.

The poor vampire was even more flustered because of it.

Unable to help myself, I teased him about it. It probably was a girl he saw on the island we had been to the day before in Azear. I mean, elf girls were always cute, and he was getting to that age where boys notice girls more.

Even though I did not want it to happen. They were my little ones, and I wished they would stay that way. Though, I finally knew how dad and mom felt when they kept me in Silverant.

“A girl?” I hummed.

It caused his little icy blue-purplish orbs to widen before shaking his head profusely.

"There’s no girl!" Loki squealed, trying to hold Eli down.

Sadly, his hands could not hold on to the slippery snake. He slid out of the vampire’s shirt and onto his back.

“Keke... Loki’s lying.” Eli pointed out, snickering.

The flustered vampire glared at his familiar, causing me to simper at my little boy. It was so cute.

Is this his first love?

“Is it a girl from the island that we just left?” I pushed Loki a little more in the hopes he would open up to me.

Though it caused him to snap like a twig. What came out of his mouth was not what I thought I would hear.

“No, Ma! I’ve never seen her before in my life!” Loki shouted, catching everyone’s attention.

The shock that washed over me was something I tried to hide. They still did not know about their link to the monster known as the book of life. It could have been a silly dream. One any boy could have.

Yet why did I have a horrible feeling deep down? A girl he had not met before. I probably was imagining things. But it would not be the first-time dreams, was not what they seemed to be. After all, Alijah and I connected through them.

Can that happen to them? No... Perhaps the bonds are drawing them together.

Fate, Edna called it.

Even after all these years, her words still rung in my mind like they were said the day before. My anger had quelled, but I would do anything to protect the boys. There were too many variables to ignore too.

However, worrying about my little vampire was not something I wanted to do. So instead, I shoved my emotions within me.

“I see. Well, as long as you know, I’m number one in your heart!” I hugged him tightly, causing complaints to erupt out of his lips about my affection.

Softly I gazed towards Alijah, who had Thea and Leo on him. Oz ran towards me, hugging me from behind. He was always attached to me the most. Shaking off the emotions that were trying to consume me, I tried to act normal for the rest of the day.

Though it felt like a looming dread, wanting to erupt out of me. Somehow, I held it together until the kids were in their beds. After tucking them in, I grabbed Alijah, pulling him into our room.

There, I shoved the unsuspecting wolf into our bed. Before he knew it, I straddled him. There I unbutton his shirt. He always welcomed my affections, but for some reason, he already had a clue on how I was feeling.

He grasped onto my hands, leaving me staring at him, unpleased by his reaction. I honestly wanted to wash away these feelings with him, but it seemed he noticed my demeanor. He always read me like a book. Surely, he was a mind reader, too.

“You’re unusually eager today.” Alijah licked his lips, triggering a frown to form on mine.

I did not want to talk. No, all I wanted to do was fuck. After all, it was probably nothing to fear. Throughout these years, I learned I worried over nothing most of the time.

“I always want you, Alijah.” I rolled my eyes, hoping he would drop it there.

He did not buy it, though. Never did. After the forest incident, he never allowed me to keep anything from him.

“Hm… Are you going to tell me what’s wrong with you?” Alijah mumbled, annoyed by my evasiveness.

Huffing, I continued to undo his shirt, not wanting to stop for his silly questions. I had not felt like this in a while. It was probably nothing important. Yet I felt uneasy. His touch was the only thing that ever made me feel better.

“I’m just feeling jealous.” I tried to downplay it, opening his shirt exposing his chest to me.

We had been twelve years together in this mortal realm. Yet I saw him the same way as when I met him. When I traced my fingers on his pecs, it caused him to shiver.

Why do his reactions always make me go over the edge? Alijah, you’re my everything.

Even though his crimson eyes were full of lust, too. He held my hands tighter, stopping me in my tracks again.

“Of? I don’t think I’ve done anything to make you jealous.” He pointed out, studying my reactions.

Oh… shit…

 I noticed I dug my grave a little too late.

“What? Don’t you realize all the women who gawk at you at every stop we go?" I huffed, triggering him to roll his eyes at me, sitting slightly up.

"I’m sure you know, those women are nothing but mere bugs to me," Alijah growled, knowing full well this was not about him.

"Fine... not of you,” I mumbled.

It triggered him to raise his eyebrows in surprise. A second later, I found myself pinned on the bed.

“Oh? Of whom then?” my wolf huffed, holding me in place.

He was now the jealous mess that I tried to pass. I did not know how to even answer him.

Is it my maternal instincts going haywire? I mean, why else would I worry about some dream girl! That’s all she is. A dream!

The twins were not even close to having magic thanks to their bond. Ruzgard yawned from the floor, not seeing any need to help me. I found myself in the grip of a somewhat annoyed Lycan. Not that he would ever hurt me.

“I don’t even know myself,” I mumbled, not wanting to admit that those feelings were still active within me.

I thought I had moved past them, but… Even now… if that child would appear, I… would… It was like I did not want to accept that something was happening with Loki. And if it had to do with Edna’s kid. I would flip.

What if the bond is bringing them together finally?

My worries continued to stack. I was not ready. And certainly, he was not ready. None of them were. A black-haired girl with emerald green eyes.

Shit... Edna's eyes were different, but she was black. What if...

“Rem…” Alijah grumbled.

I closed my eyes, trying to steady my chaotic heart. Once I voiced my worries, they would become a reality. And I… feared anything happening to my babies. I did not want them to grow up. I guess this was how Mom and Dad felt when I did my crazy plan.

But that was different. The twins were just twelve. Far from the eight years that would be left from when I became independent. Well, tried.

“Loki said he had a dream with a girl. That’s why Rem’s like that.” Ruzgard betrayed me yet again, causing me to glare at him.

I was another one who had no control over my familiar. Yet again, he was never mine to begin with. Ruzgard was more of a companion left behind by my sister.

“Oh?” Alijah mumbled, confused, gazing back at me.

“What’s the matter?” he asked, grabbing my chin, forcing me to face him.

I bit onto my lip, feeling cornered.

Ah... It’s becoming a reality no matter what I try.

“I can’t help but think, what if it’s the girl we’re looking for? What if she hurts him?” I finally let out my worries.

It triggered Alijah to sigh, relieved that my worries were towards the kids than another man. To him, it was something worse, like me cheating on him. But to me, this was the worst. Our children...

Then again, Alijah knew exactly what to say.

“Then we’ll just protect him, like we always have, my love,” my wolf reassured.

It was something I already knew. This was never in doubt. I would protect him, no matter what. But I… feared the many what-ifs that could happen.

“I know I’m being overprotective. That dream was probably just Loki’s hormones. But I…” I released another sigh.

There had been no signs we were close to this girl or anything. It was as if she never existed in the first place, which was what Edna wanted.

“Just wash away these feelings with your heat,” I mumbled soon after.

It caused Alijah to smirk, coming close to my ear before nibbling on it gently.

“Hey, you don’t need to worry so much. We’ll be fine. I’m sure of it.” He purred, trailing kisses up my neck.

It was not only until his lips were on mine. A soft mewl escaped me when he deepened it. His tongue played with mine, leaving me feeling bliss. Not wanting to stay behind, I touched Alijah’s member through his sweatpants. A soft groan left him, surprised by my sudden touch.

Pulling away from me, he smirked before his hand suddenly found its way into my underwear. The moment his fingers touched my vulva, a smirk grew on his lips.

“Wow, you’re already this moist from a simple kiss?” Alijah teased, slipping his fingers down my slits.

Feeling bliss from his touch, I rolled my eyes at him. Swinging my free arm around his neck, I pulled him down into another shorter kiss. I had gotten a lot better at responding to my wolf's teases throughout the years. With my hand, I pulled out his heat, grabbing it once free.

“You are eager too,” I murmured playfully, pulling away from our kiss before stroking his freed member.

It was so hot to the touch in my palm. Though its skin was always smooth on my fingertips. His red eyes glowed brightly, slipping his fingers into my depths. A soft mewl left my lips, triggering him to pump his fingers into me, with no restraint.

“Yeah, I am. I’m always ready to bury myself into you, Rem.” Alijah licked his lips before kissing me again.

I bit into his bottom lip gently when he pulled away. The lust and love in his eyes were just too much to handle. He freely expressed himself, with no restraints.

“So, I haven’t lost my spice throughout all the years?” I panted, feeling warmer with each movement he did.

The soft sounds of his fingers caressing my walls were naughty, too. Though when he heard that question slip from my mouth. He pulled his fingers out of me, tugging my pants and underwear off in one sweep.

“Fuck no,” Alijah assured, going down on me.

Instinctively, I grabbed onto his hair when his tongue touched my most sensitive area. Ever since he cut it short, he kept it that way. More mewls left me, feeling him suck on my bell.

Bliss filled me, leaving me wanting more. Trying to get a better view of what he was doing, I slightly sat up. It caused him to growl because of it. A second later, he pulled me back down by my hips.

“Don’t move.” Alijah huffed in a husky tone before suddenly inserting two fingers into me.

Shivers ran down my spine, triggering me to grip his hair tighter.

“Wait!” I yelped, trying to speak through the waves of pleasure that were washing over me, but there was no use.

The way he sucked and pumped me full of him left me trembling.

“Alijah!” I mewled his name, trying to get him to stop.

Tears stung my eyes from the intense feeling that rushed through me. I did not want to finish before him. Though the knot seemed to tighten to the point, I was about to convulse in pleasure. Luckily, something in my voice stopped him.

He shifted his gaze back towards my face with eyes full of desire.

“I want you.” I simpered, feeling shy.

He climbed on top of me again, placing himself in between my legs. Softly, he slid his member against my slits, wetting his member with my lubricant. Another tease…

“You want me, my love?” Alijah asked, biting his lips, grinding me.

It only caused the itch and tingle to grow more. I nodded, triggering a smirk to rise on his lips.

“As you wish.” He breathed, suddenly plunging himself into me.

A loud, sharp yelp left me just like he wanted. Even though I had two babies, our love life never changed. He still loved me the same as when we were in our twenties. My body was already used to his loving too, which made me utterly addicted to it. Whenever a whine released from his lips, it riled me more.

I could never get enough of Alijah's love. He used to be my everything, but our focus shifted from keeping ourselves alive to including our children. Something I never thought possible. We would give the world for them.

"You know..." my wolf huffed, slamming himself into me.

In response, I kissed him lightly, thinking it was what he wanted. But before I realized it, he pinned me down, shoving himself in, causing me to mewl his name. His eyes glowed in response, shivering with every push he gave me.

"I think you’re about to get pregnant again, Rem." He suddenly announced.

I felt a rush of embarrassment go through me.

"What?" I mumbled.

Alijah simpered, trailing his hand down my cheek. A second later, he shoved himself into me. I felt him kiss my cervix when he leaned down to my ear.

"You smell so sweet. I don't think I can stop myself from impregnating you." My wolf purred, causing me to get even more flushed and excited.

Perhaps because of the heat of the moment, but I did not mind it. Liking my response, he suddenly slammed himself into me repeatedly. Sweet noises left both of our lips before a curse suddenly left his.

“Shit…” he halted all movements.

I gazed at him, dazed by his touch. My body twitched, wanting more of what he was giving me. He took a momentary glance towards the door, panting for air. Unable to help it, I ground myself on him.

"What are you waiting for? Impregnant me," I smirked playfully.

A low groan left his lips. We were both so close to finishing when he suddenly tried to stop me again. His hands gripped my hips tightly.

“Rem…” Alijah grunted, trying to warn me of something.

It did not stop me, though. I continued to buck my hips, triggering us suddenly to find our release. Mewling in pleasure, I barely heard the knock that came from the door. I never had a high that lasted so short.

My body suddenly froze in place.

Oh, fuck! I didn’t just…

My wolf buried his face into my chest, trying to muffle his pants, letting his seeds release into my core. Ever since having kids, we never used sigils for our rooms. I usually kept it down too. Luckily, Caden was not on the ship at the moment.

He was the only one who could hear us if we were too loud. The kids usually were in bed whenever we did this too. Though that knock could only mean two things. Either Caden was back or…

Clamping down on Alijah’s heat, a soft groan left him.

“Rem, don’t tense up, please.” He whispered, feeling extra sensitive.

No one ever came to bother us when we were alone. Well, everyone but the kids. Soft pants left me too when we heard a soft voice come from the other side.

“Ma… I had a nightmare.” Leo sobbed from the other side.

Instinctively, I gazed at Alijah, who bit his lip, wondering if having a kid was the right choice. I lost count of how many times this same situation happened, but it was something we adapted to handle. Luckily, my loving wolf had not knotted me in place.

It happened once before. And it ended up being an embarrassing moment when I called my brother’s wife for help. Gently, my wolf pulled out of me before getting dressed, heading to the bathroom to wash up. Although we were far from satisfied, our roles were set.

Being a parent was first than being a man or woman. Something we did not mind.

“I’ll be right there, baby,” I assured Leo, who waited patiently on the other side of the door.

I got dressed in fresh clothes, quickly washing my face too. Before looking at Alijah, who redid the bed, mumbling something along the lines of not being able to wait until they were older. It made me giggle a bit.

He had just tried to plant another child in me. Little did I know he was successful in doing so. But that would be for another time. Once everything was set, I opened the door, allowing little Leo to rush towards the bed before cuddling in between us for the night.

Even though we were sexually frustrated, these moments were too precious to not enjoy. Loki, Oz, and Thea did not do this anymore as they were ‘too old for this’. Well, according to them. Leo was the youngest of the group. So, he still enjoyed coming to us for comfort.

Something that I could not get mad at. I gazed at Alijah, who pet little Leo’s head, who slept peacefully.

“I love you,” I mumbled to my adoring wolf.

My words caused my beloved’s gentle eyes to land on me.

“I love you too,” he simpered.

We both made ourselves comfortable before falling asleep for the night. Sadly, this was the calm before another storm brewed. The next morning, a blaring alarm went off, alerting everyone on the ship. It was the one Mom made for shadow demons.  

Caden was still not back from Silverant, making Flora the nanny of the day for the kids. With brief hesitation, Alijah and I got ready for action. It was a normal drill for us. Just like every other time, we landed nearby the source that triggered the alarm.

Getting off the ship, we headed towards the source. This time it was in the vampire region in Celnaer. Well, in the outskirt village near the border of Arthion, the human continent. The place’s name was Lyue, a human settlement rather than a vampire one.

Before we left, I told the kids to not get off for any reason. It was not safe for anyone. The shadow beast who was going to emerge was near the ancient rank. At least that was where the energy read. But it was not only that.

The vampires might have been patrolling around, which could cause trouble for us if they spotted Loki and Oz. We had done this many times before. But I could not help myself from warning them each time we were near the vamps' territory.

Even so, I had a job to do, and Flora knew the dangers. She had taken care of the kids before without Caden around, too. It also helped that everyone else on the ship was paying attention. Thus, the grueling job of having to go down into the village to warn the folks that lived there came into play.

Part of me hated working for Cerberus. Everything had to be done so fancy and clean. I wished I could just fight the beast, and that was it. But I guess saving people was good too. Though it was a feeling I was not used to having surge within me. Even all these years later, it still felt weird.

Knocking on each door, Alijah and I warned the villagers of the danger that was coming. They had to retreat to the shelter that every village had. Though in a one this small, I doubted there was any safe spot at all.

At least the townsfolk could gather in a house, which was easier for us to defend. Everything was fine and dandy until I arrived at a strange house. I mean, it was a normal house. It had a roof, doors, and walls like any other, but for some reason, it threw me off.

Perhaps it was the weird energy emanating from it. Probably a powerful witch or warlock lived there. Even so, I knocked on it. I had a duty to perform. Their power would be useless against the demon, anyway.

“Hello, it’s an officer from the Cerberus Order,” I announced my presence.

I could hear someone stumbling inside on their way to greet me. Alijah was knocking on another villager’s house behind me when the door suddenly opened to reveal a young girl. She had brown eyes and hair.

“Yes, how can I help you?” she asked, suddenly widening her eyes upon noticing who she was speaking to.

I mean, I had become this popular thing to many people. Ten years of saving them gave me a reputation. But I was not comfortable with it. To me, it was misplaced and undeserving. I never wanted to be their hero or anything like that. But thanks to that, I was used to people coming up to me for pictures and gifts.

I never accepted any, though. Luckily, Alijah scared many of them away, too. Especially any males that came up to me. I did the same when any females came to him, too. So, we both looked out for each other.

Though in this witch’s eyes, there was a hint of fear. Perhaps I was the first luma she met. And I was from Cerberus too. Many witches were not fond of our organization. So, her reaction was not unusual to me, but something stuck out.

Especially when Mom had been trying so hard to get them back into the fold. Even with thirty years behind the witch’s chair, much of them still felt isolated. It probably had to do with how eternal witches were still hunted down.

It had gotten more intense with Edna’s passing, too. And mom’s pleas for peace were all left unheard by the council. Not even Dad could do anything to help. This one, though, seemed petite and fragile. The entire thing seemed odd, but nothing I could go on. Then I saw the hand that held the door tremble.

It was another abnormal sign. Sadly, this was not the worst reaction I had while carrying out my duties. At least no racial slurs were leaving her. Those who did not see me as a hero saw me as a pest. The last time that happened, Alijah knocked someone's teeth in. A blessing by itself, since he could have easily killed the man.

Though I was not here to arrest her or anything like that. If she had been casting some powerful spells in this house, it was none of my business.

“Well, I’m here to warn you that there’s a shadow demon coming soon. So, I need you to evacuate with your family to a safer place,” I informed.

Once again, her demeanor seemed off. Fearful…

Am I that scary? Here I am trying to be nice.

A soft sigh left my lips, noticing her gaze get even more cautious. It had been a long time since I had a witch react to me this way. Then again, if she was alone. Anything could startle her.

“Nene, do we have a visitor? Is it daddy?” a soft-spoken girl's voice asked from behind the fearful witch.

The witch jumped, startled by the voice.

Is that a child?

Rem… Ruzgard’s voice echoed in my mind.

What?

Never mind… He retreated, leaving me confused.

This would be the first kid I heard in this entire village. Upon closer inspection, the girl seemed younger than I first thought.

Is she a single mother? No… can’t be much older than the other one.

I don’t think so, but… Ah… Never mind, let’s take care of the demon first. Ruzgard echoed once again.

His words did not deter me from my train of thought, though. I would not have put this girl over the age of twenty.

“No, Vivi, it isn’t your dad. Please stay in your room, okay? I need to pack some things. We have to evacuate.” The girl named Nene answered the child named Vivi, voice trembling.

Shadow demons were scary things, but this witch was already spooked from the moment she spotted me. Then again, I was connected to them. So, perhaps that was why she was scared. However, that voice…

I could not help but want to take a glance at the source. It was alluring.

Why am I attracted to her?

I needed to get a handle on these maternal instincts of mine. Though she sounded about the same age as Loki and Oz. Perhaps even Thea’s age.

“You should do this as fast as you can. The beast will be here in around thirty minutes. Maybe less.” I continued to inform, unable to help from wanting to know more.

Was it because I had children of my own? Probably.

“Is that all? If so, thank you. I’ll get out of your hair right away. Excuse me...” the timid girl concluded, trying to close the door on me.

I could not help but hold on to it. Her voice was too fearful. Something was off. I needed...

“Is everything okay? Do you need help with anything?” I asked, trying to glance into the house, causing her eyes to flare.

I was not a friend to her. No, in her eyes... I was...

“Everything’s fine! You just need to leave!” Nene shrieked, taking my hand off the door before slamming it in my face.

I stood there stunned, unable to tell what happened. For me to receive that type of response for just trying to help was uncalled for. I mean, I was in uniform too. That meant I was working for one of the most trusted organizations. Even if witches were not fond of us.

Yet this girl slammed the door on me. It was a first. I was used to being looked down upon for my race, but this girl feared me. It left an eerie feeling within me.

“Is everything okay, Rem?” Alijah asked, grabbing my shoulder.

I noticed Caden running from the direction of the ship. It seemed he had just gotten back. He was in time for the show; I guess. Even so, my eyes seemed glued to the door that had been slammed.

Why do I want to… run in there?

I feel that too. Ruzgard echoed, making me clasp onto my chest.

I had to shake it off. This was not important. No, the demon that was coming and endangering everyone was. But after I had destroyed the beast. Perhaps this needed a further inspection.

“Yeah, I guess she doesn’t like me for some reason,” I answered, shrugging, turning towards Caden who closed the gap between us faster than I expected.

“Rem!” my out-of-breath brother called out to me, stopping right in front of us.

He was panting like a maniac. We had parked a few kilometers away from the village. Well, all the way on Arthion’s side of the border. This was to make sure that we would not run into vampires.

“Why are you here? Shouldn’t you have waited on the ship with the kids?” I asked him, feeling annoyed by the girl's reaction to me.

Much to my surprise, he grabbed me by my hands. His crimson orbs were full of pure worry. Though this breath seemed to lack. He had rushed here.

“No… The kids they—" Caden started, only to be interrupted by the events that unfolded in the house next to us.

It suddenly gave off a bright blue light, catching everyone’s attention. A second later, a shadow demon emerged from it, destroying the house itself. Instinctively, Alijah, the quickest to respond, grabbed onto Caden and me. Throwing himself to the side with us, the beast resembling a large behemoth, ancient rank charged at us.

It crashed into the house behind us. For a moment, utter shock washed over me. That was not where the radar said it would appear. In fact, the signal of the incoming demon was still active. Yet we now stared at this beast, who had come from nowhere.

Drawing out my sword, this was where perspective changed, and where another fated encounter would occur. If only I forced my way into that house… Perhaps then I would have been able to do something about it.

1