Prologue: Roaring metal
48 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a warm, sunny thursday on Öland in Sweden. The midsummer sun heated the earth in this time of smörgåsbord, vacation and sunbathing, but despite everything a small gray cloud drifted across the horizon.

On the asphalt a roofless yellow car drove along the four laned highway as sunlight reflected off of it's polished steel. Grass and bushes around the road turned into blurred lines, as the car sped up. Within the distance a mighty landsmass stretched across the horizon of a sparkling sea, interrupted by a mighty bridge connecting the two continents.

Within the yellow car sat a chubby 38 year man with a blonde crescent mustache and hair down to his earlobes. He scoffed as his eyes looked over the gray cloud, but a smile on his face replaced his frown as he held a smartphone in one hand and the wheel in the other.

"Oh man, you know... This feels like the place good people go when they die, and I came to realize tanning on the beach like a walrus is the best cure for a bad mood. In fact, I feel great!" He said with fervor.

"That is great, brother. But can it hold a candle against yoga?" A womanly voice responded.

He grins.

"Oh yeah it does, It was the best of times! Not only did I sunbathe, I also drank together with Jonas and Eric! We talked about all kinds of stuff. They said they miss seeing you..." He frowned at the end of the sentenced.

"I had to work a bit extra due to Sara getting sick. I will have to keep going for a couple more days until sunday. Im a workaholic." She responded. Perhaps with a bit of guilt, the man reckoned.

"Well, you got to live the good life though, you have only one of those. Use your time and do something new and exciting. Bet you would love relaxing up late with the lads, drinking beer, listening to the cicadas and feeling the warm midnight breeze. It is irreplaceable." He said with calm and optimism.

"Fine, I will join up with the group later then." She said, accepting her defeat. "Bet they will need a good stretch after all that relaxing, I'll give them some!"

"That sounds like a great idea! But with our naturally chubby bodies, will they even be able to follow? Can they even discern where our limbs are? Is that even possible?" He wondered.

"You know, I get people, I understand people, but god knows how they do it, but they follow along perfectly." She responded.

The man grinned like the sun.

"Hehe, logic is not needed, especially not for a transcendental yoga teacher like you! Bet you will reach nirvana next year!" He chuckled.

"You flatter me, the greatest plumber in existence, the cleaner of pipeboros." She said seriously.

He laughed out loud.

"That was a good one!" He shouted with joy.

"Not all my fat went to my h--s af-er a--." She responded, her voice disrupted by static.

Boom.

A loud thundering sound reverberated through the air from a distance. The man felt it on his skin. A shockwave.

He looked at the phone, confused.

"Bobba, there is interference, and I just heard a loud sound, but it did not sound like an explosion. Im hanging up." His said with concern. 

"Ta-e c--- Gu-pa." She answered. The static kept worsening.

Guppa looked around the car, observing the landscape. He found nothing off then pulled back his focus on the road ahead and furrowed his eyebrows.

He was concerned, perplexed and worried greatly about if someone had gotten hurt or if a malicious power had come to seek destruction.

"Perhaps, an EMP?" Guppa thought out loud, then shrugged off the thought.

He did not feel that it would make any sense for an EMP to go off in Sweden, nevertheless on Öland, as Sweden is not in any state of military conflict, nor anywhere close to it.

After some contemplation, he turned on the radio. He switched through all of the channels. It was nothing but static. He repeated the process and knocked on it. The result was still the same.

"What in the world...?"

Guppa was creeped out. He had never experienced anything similar to this in his life before.

As he was up in his thoughts, the thundering sound returned, much louder than before.

Guppa instinctively twitched his head towards the sound . He could not believe his eyes. What he saw was a sparkling, swirling purple portal the size of a small house. 

Throughout the swirling purple, a white truck flew out as if shot out at a high speed and drove up on the highway.

Guppa was flabbergasted as he looked at the spectacle.

The supernatural is real! He thought, as his belief in god skyrocketed. But his ecstasy iwasquickly washed away and replaced by even greater confusion.

Why a truck? Why here? What is that purple portal connected to? Too many questions, too few answers. 

"Ooooh! Crap!" He complained.

Guppa was filled with regret to not have managed to take a picture of this supernatural phenomenon.

Still perplexed, Guppa kept driving. He could not come up with any answers of what else to do. It was a normal truck, he thought. He did not see reason to either fight or flee. He could only drive and be observant.

The light dimmed, a shadow crept over him. 

He wondered why it suddenly got so dark. He looked to his left.

To his surprise the white truck had driven up to the left of him. A masked white figure looked at him from the window.

"What in the..." Guppa shrieked.

Guppa felt a bad gut feeling when he saw the masked man. He wanted to get away from it. He knew the man had something to hide.

The truck slowed down...

... And rams into the bottom left side of Guppas car.

"Aaah!" Guppa screams as his car swirvs around until it stopped, leaving long tiremarks. Guppa wheezes. His hands shake, and nausea builds up within him.

Shock and fear blasts through Guppa.

Guppa screams "Shit!" as looks up from the car and saw, to his horror, another white truck was coming at him, mere seconds from impact.

Guppa gasps and wheezes as he unplugges the seatbelt and tries to jump out, but his vision turned white from overpowering front of the truck.

Crack.

Pieces of Guppas flesh, bone and fluids were scattered across the scorching asphalt and metal. The entire world went black as his living thoughts grew silent like the dead ground beneath. 

0